• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope choices for Savage 110.Ba .300wm

Savage_Sniper

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2011
Australia
Hello and greetings from Australia....

I have just purchased a new Savage 110Ba in 300wm and am looking for a nice scope to suit.

I have been looking at the Nightforce F1 in 5.5-15x50

the Nikon Monarch 6-24x50 Sf

a Vortex 6-24x50 Sf

or a Bushnell Banner 6-24x50 with parallax and mildot.

What confuses me is I really like the NF scopes but I don't understand the difference in magnification. How can a 5.5-15 be better than a 6-24 or 8-32 when shooting past 800 yards.

I also want a Mildot reticle which comes nicely on the NF scopes but not the Nikon...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated:)

Re: Scope choices for Savage 110.Ba .300wm

I vote vortex. I did just buy one for myself in a 6-24 variation. But the NF will probably be a better quality.

Ive decided to go for either a Vortex or a Bushnell in the interim while I save for the NF scope I want.:)

I can't answer your question re magnification differences on the scopes you listed but I can tell you that I have a Nightforce 5.5 -22 x 56 NXS with Mil dot reticle on my .338 LM 110 BA and a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20 x 50 ER/T M1 on my Sako .338 LM TRG-42 Maybe it is my old eyes but I cannot tell the difference at 500 or 1000 yds between the two when I set both scopes to a mid range of the magnification. At the highest magnification on either scope, I notice the shooter (me) induced vibration bouncing the reticle all over the aim point so I tend to stay with the lower mid range magnification.

Maybe there is a more exacting shooter out there that can be of more assistance.

There are a couple of things you're going to find out at those ranges and magnifications. First is mirrage. Your image will distort from heat rising from the ground. Second is that the higher the magnification the darker the image will be. So while a 6-24 or an 8-32 may sound better the better image quality of the NF will help you read mirrage and actually visualize the targets better.

Never thought Id see a list for recommendations containing Nightforce and Bushnell Banner...hmmmmm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never thought Id see a list for recommendations containing Nightforce and Bushnell Banner...hmmmmm </div></div>

Why is that? I can understand the Bushnell Banner being a bit odd as they seem to be an old scope. My itention is to use one of them to get an idea of what Im shooting as this is my first large .cal rifle.

The NF Scopes from what Ive read are top shelf and Id buy one to keep on the rifle until it broke or needed replacing. 8-32x56 I think.:)

MY OPINION!!!!!

Forget the nightforce. (i have one)

If you are not a huge long range shooter but want to have a good scope, go with a vortex PST (i have one).

The banner is a wal-mart bushnell (had a couple) but the quality is just not that good. if you are on a tight budget, fine but try and save more and buy a better scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta_man11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MY OPINION!!!!!

Forget the nightforce. (i have one)

If you are not a huge long range shooter but want to have a good scope, go with a vortex PST (i have one).

The banner is a wal-mart bushnell (had a couple) but the quality is just not that good. if you are on a tight budget, fine but try and save more and buy a better scope. </div></div>

Cool cool, why don't you like the Nightforce? Id assume that if I did buy one Id get very used to it and I would become comfortable shooting with it even at great distance. Not having any experience at this Im pretty open to learning my skills on new equipment and the NF looks really good.

I know the banner is cheap, I got offered it as a make do scope until I could afford the 2k+ price tag of the NF. Having done some more research Ive decided to spend a little more and get either a Nikon 6-24x50 sf or the Bushnell Elite Tactical 4200 also in 6-24x50 sf Mil dot.

FYI budget for my first scope is about a thousand bucks or under.

Savage_Sniper,

Welcome to The Hide. If you can provide us with a little more information about what you are planning to do with your rifle we may be able to help you make a more informed buying decision. Do you want to use this rifle for hunting, paper punching, or are you planning on shooting tactical matches with it? What is the maximum range you can shoot to in your location? Are you on a budget?

You mentioned that you are a bit confused about the quality and magnification between several brands of optics. I also noticed that the optics you were looking at ranged from top of the line military grade (NF) to run of the mill crap (Banner). I would recommend that if you are going to purchase a scope with a Mil-Dot reticule you might consider staying away from the low end optics. A Vortex PST and Razor, Night Force, Leupold (not my fave), and the Bushnell Elite 4200 and 6500 lines are all valid considerations for optics. All of these scopes have good glass, obviously some are better than others. But the point I’m trying to make is that having a scope that will track properly, has an accurate reticule, and has good quality glass will serve you better than having the highest power magnification on a low quality scope with crap glass. When you buy a NF scope you are not just buying glass. The internal mechanisms on a NF scope are really well made, and you can abuse the daylights out of a NF and it will still track true. It’s also designed for daily use. That means that you can crank on the windage and elevation knobs every day and they will continue to function properly. That’s one of the reasons why you pay $2000+ for a NF scope. If it’s possible, you might call around your area and see if any gun stores have some high quality optics in stock that you can go look at. Seeing is believing.

Good luck and let us know if we can help you some more. By the way, don’t get discouraged if some of the guys here bitch about not using the search function, or asking (what they think are) foolish questions. I was new here once my self, and fortunately some good folks took pity on me and walked me through my first rifle and scope purchase. Besides, I never have much luck finding what I need to find with that fcuking search function.

Hi tman thanks for the reply and time taken.

To answer your questions first up..the rifle will be used predominantly for paper and steel target shooting and I have a range out past 800 yards to use which is excellent. I don't plan on shooting any Tactical Matches but that said I wouldn't be opposed to it in the future once I'm comfortable with my abilities.

As far as scope choice goes I think I have narrowed it down somewhat to either the Bushnell Elite 4200 Tactical and the Nikon SF. I can get both of these for under a grand AUD and they will both serve me well as I learn to shoot the new rifle. Fortunately for me I have a Nightforce store here in South Australia, well its actually Lightforce where they make the high quality spot lights but they have the range of NF Scopes on display. Ill head down there and have a look at the ones they have but I'M pretty certain one will end up on my rifle next.

Yeah the search function on here is pretty crap it seems so any and all input from members is appreciated. Im an online veteran so the old guard on forums dont worry me lol.

Again thanks for your help and I look forward to chatting more with you.

P.S

I few and Orion simulator at the RAAF Base in Endiburgh - South Australia when I was young:) Managed to crash the wing in to the ground during a simulated thunder storm. Cant imagine what flying a real one is like. Much respect.

The Elite 4200 in 3-12 x44 FFP Mil/Mil is a sweet scope. I have one on an 18" SPR .223 Rem and I love it. You might consider contacting Glen Seekins at Seekins Precission and have him send you a 20moa base for you rifle. That shoudl get you well past 800 yards.

I would recomend the 4200 over the Nikon. Nikon was making some sweet tactical scope for a while but they seem to have lost interest in that market and are not keeping up. The Monarch Tactical line has great glass (in my opinion almost on par with NF). However, they are Mil/MOA and SFP. Not even sure they are still making them to be honest.

Good luck with the whole endevour and let us know how you fare.

Cheers!

P.S. I used to fly the trainer at VP-30. We had a few Aussies come through the training program there. They were good blokes and they loved to go on the piss and chase scrubbers. God bless Australia!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Elite 4200 in 3-12 x44 FFP Mil/Mil is a sweet scope. I have one on an 18" SPR .223 Rem and I love it. You might consider contacting Glen Seekins at Seekins Precission and have him send you a 20moa base for you rifle. That shoudl get you well past 800 yards.

I would recomend the 4200 over the Nikon. Nikon was making some sweet tactical scope for a while but they seem to have lost interest in that market and are not keeping up. The Monarch Tactical line has great glass (in my opinion almost on par with NF). However, they are Mil/MOA and SFP. Not even sure they are still making them to be honest.

Good luck with the whole endevour and let us know how you fare.

Cheers!

P.S. I used to fly the trainer at VP-30. We had a few Aussies come through the training program there. They were good blokes and they loved to go on the piss and chase scrubbers. God bless Australia! </div></div>

Haha at go on the piss and chase scrubbers, thats excellent mate made me giggle.

Can you please explain MIl/MIL, Mil/Moa and SFP to me please I'm not sure what you mean.

Mil/Mil is Milliradian adjustments on the scope knobs as well as a Millaradian reticule. This is what most scopes for tactical shooting are moving towards. Companies like Schmidt and Bender, Zeiss Hensholdt, U.S. Optics, and Night Force have been making this version of scope for several years. It's the best config in my opinion. It means that you don't need to do a mathamatical conversion from MOA to Mils when you are dialing your scope.

MOA/Mil is kind of the "old" standard. MOA being minute of angle, and Mil being Milliradians. Their two different versions of measuring a degree of Arc. On a MOA/Mil scope the knobs for adjusting windage and elevation are measured in MOA and the reticule is in Mils. That means that what you see in the reticule has to be converted to MOA when you are adjusting the scope, and vice versa. It's a pain in the ass.

FFP and SFP refer to optical plane that the reticule is set in. A FFP (First Focal Plane) scope has the reticule mounted so that when an adjustment is made to the scopes magnification setting the reticule changes size with the adjustment but not relative to the target. For example: lets say you see a target at 500 yards, and the target size in Mils is .7 milliradians tall, when you adjust the magnification to 16x the target size will still read .7 mils on the reticule scale.

On a SFP (Second Focal Plane) scope the you must mil (range or measure) a target at a particular power setting. When you adjust the power setting of the scope (say from 10x to 16x) the reticule will not change sizes. It stays the same size no matter what the power setting is. The problem is, if your scope is set up to mil tagets at 16x and you have the scope set at 8x power your mil adjustment will be off by half.

I prefer Mil/Mil FFP. It's easy, no math, just hold over on the reticule at any power setting and you will hit if your holdover is correct.

For NF scopes I belive the only version that is Mil/Mil FFP is the F1 in 3.5-15 50mm. The Bushnell Elite 4200 Tactical line has two models that are FFP Mil/Mil. The 3-12 44mm and the 6-24 50mm. If you can do the NF you will be a much better scope. However, the Elite is still a very nice optic for the money.

Savage_Sniper, Welcome to the forum.

Like RJ1670 suggested, using the Sniper's Hide Specific Google Search is going to get you a lot of answers to questions that have already been asked and answered. It takes a bit of time to read through all the threads that pertain to your topic but you'll also learn about additional info other than the topic you searched for.

Good luck with your search for a new scope.

Thanks all for the information provided its going to take me a few reads to get it all down in my head and obviously some practical training to fully understand the ins and outs. I come from a background of only shooting .22's at rabbits and targets ( and I was very good at it
wink.gif
) so IM excited to be in a position now to learn to shoot something considerably larger.

Ive decided to get the Bushnell 6-24x50 Mil/MIl FFP scope and learn with that until I can get the NF Scope. I had a chat to my Gun Shop owner and he suggested I talk to the guys at the NF store in Adelaide as hes pretty sure I can order specific reticules and magnifications if need be. Ill pop in there when I have some and see what they say.

Staying on topic and having just read about the NXS 3.5-15 x 50 F1 isnt this magnification a little low compared to say 6-24x50 or 8-32x56??

also +1 for the vortex viper pst and the nightforce. Granted the nightforce is slightly better but for the price i believe you get a great value and a hell of a scope with the vortex viper pst. However, the main thing that i wanted to add is that you really dont need as much magnification as it looks like you think that you need. Honestly around 15x or 16x magnification, will take you a long way. you shouldnt have any problems seeing even 12 inch plates at 1000 yards. However, if you really are set on the higher range you cant go wrong with either the vortex viper pst or the nightforce F1, its just a matter of how much you want to/can pay for. Below i included a link that will not only compare the vortex viper pst with the nightforce but will also give you a visual confirmation of what i was talking about with the magnification (notice that the magnifications in the picture are very close to what was talking about earlier with the plates) Scroll down towards the bottom for the comparison of the scopes with the plates. .

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/vortex-viper-pst-ffp-1-10mil-4-16x-review-58400/

Right then if this is the NF at Maximum magnification (15x) at 1000 yards then thats pretty impressive

005-1.jpg

Thanks for the comparison links it really helps to be able to see the difference in the different magnifications and especially at 1000 yards which is the distance I eventually want to be proficient at:)

PST is the way to go in my book. The cost difference to me isn't worth it. Yes, I have owned a NXS 5.5-22, and it was a really good scope. I have looked at a couple samples of the PST. And dollar for dollar, and the no BS warranty, PST all the way.

DK

Looking now at the vortex viper pst in 6-24x50 MLR/MLR FFP it definitely looks like a great scope. For the extra $300 Ill spend on it over the Bushnell it might be worth it.

I emailed Vortex a while ago with some questions about their scopes and availability in Australia. I am yet to hear back from them which is always a worry when dealing with companies OS.

Seems that the pricing for the scopes here in Australia is about $400.00 more than the US, the PST is listed at $1,399.00 from Vortex sole distributor in Australia which is only a grand cheaper than the NF.:)

http://www.extravision.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=1662

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage_Sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking now at the vortex viper pst in 6-24x50 MLR/MLR FFP it definitely looks like a great scope. For the extra $300 Ill spend on it over the Bushnell it might be worth it.

I emailed Vortex a while ago with some questions about their scopes and availability in Australia. I am yet to hear back from them which is always a worry when dealing with companies OS.

Seems that the pricing for the scopes here in Australia is about $400.00 more than the US, the PST is listed at $1,399.00 from Vortex sole distributor in Australia which is only a grand cheaper than the NF.:)

http://www.extravision.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=1662

</div></div>

After I sent the supplier an email pulling them up on the price difference they got back to me and asked me to send them an email about which scope I wanted and they would do me a deal....... Their reply today "This scope is priced $ 900 plus GST is AUD $ 990 plus shipping of generally $ 15.00"

Im pretty happy with this as total price all up is still in my budget.

I am yet however to hear back from Vortex and thats twice Ive emailed them now??

We have the Nightforce 5.5-22 x 56 NXS with the Mil-Dot reticle on our 110 BA/338 LM with the BORS mounted on the scope. We are more than satisfied with the setup.

Magnification isn't always your friend, but clearer optics are. I'd rather have a quality 10x than a crap 25x anyday of the week and 3 times on Sunday. Mechanical wise.. if it won't track well it's pretty worthless and you might as well use irons. Even great glass won't be worth anything if it won't track repeatable.

Welcome and good luck on your purchase.

I wanted to get back into shooting after my son went into the Air Force and start reloading again. I bought a Savage 10FLCP-K and a Wotac 4-14 to start off with. Well, 14 power is nice but I wanted something with more power on the range. I looked at and asked on forums about scopes and there's so many opions out there. Got to look thru S&B's, March...all the nice scopes that were not on my budget. I finialy bit the bullet and got the NF 8-32 NXS and haven't looked back, such a great scope. I'm sure this scope will see more guns under it than the rifle will see more scopes above it. They are an investment but I feel in the long run I will be saving and not wanting for something else. just my outlook on what suits me. If you can try to go to the range and look thru as many scopes as you can.
Gregg

NF-8-32-1.jpg

Oh one more thought...the NF NXS 8-32 would look bad a$$ on that BA...looks like they were made for one another!!!

g'day to everyone, another aussie here look'n forward to taking a look around

got a quick question for savage sniper.
im from SA as well and was down on the weekend taking a look at a 300 win mag 110ba. was wondering what $$ you paid for yours.
i own a bit of land myself and hunt as often as possible. i have a mother/farther inlaw that own a substancial size station in North Queensland and im able to hunt the odd buffalo. Pigs are usually plentifull and my brother inlaw does wild brumby culls and he's invited me out the next time he goes. i think the 300 will suit me just fine.
thanx for any replys.
D'S.........

I have just ordered the VORTEX VIPER PST Mrad Mrad FFP. The dealer did get back to me and offered me the right price. That said though I will be saving up for the new range of Mrad NF scopes when they hit the market here.

Hi D'S nice to see another Aussie on the boards....

I paid $3190.00 for my 110 BA in .300 win mag. This I believe was the best price available and my guy was a good $300 cheaper than Adelaide Gun Shop. Not to say their prices weren't fair but I like to be loyal to one shop if possible and building a relationship with them is good so I was happy he came under budget for me.

The things ways a fair bit so you'll need a bi-pod, I recommend a Harris Swivel Bi-pod and a sling as well if your gonna be carrying it any great distance...your property access sounds great, I used to go to a place about 45 mins out of Swan reach, good foxes, Roos and Rabbits but I think the 300 will be a bit big for that kind of game haha. I hope to get up in to the Flinder's for some long range goat sniping in the cooler weather:)

Some Pics of the Ba.

Savage110ba008.jpg

Savage110ba007.jpg

Savage110ba006.jpg

Savage110ba002.jpg

Thing is so big it almost didnt fit in my safe!

i was quoted $3300 with the bi-pod and 50 rounds.
did you get the 26" barrel or 24?
im just the other side of Murry Bridge. i have a property out back from Meningie that i can get into a few deer.
never know mate, we may be able to catch up some time in the future for some sport.
another mate has a great property a few k's Broken Hill side of Wilcania. im planning on taking a visit later this year when some of the water dispersus, the pigs won't be so scattered then, always a few goats out there to hunt also.
if all goes well im head'n down to town this weekend to put some $$ down and get the ball roll'n.
D'S....

Yeah that sounds about the right kinda price, I got the 26" barrel. What kind of Bi-Pod did you get quoted on cos some of them are pretty cheap, like $75 bucks and may not be the best chioce. In my research I have found that Harris make the most flexible and reliable Bi-Pods for about $200.00

Im also getting a 20 MOA rail for $180.00 Your not that far from me really Im at Aldinga so its just a trip up past Victor to the highway.:) When you get it all sorted mate hit me up, Ill be going to the range at Monarto for some long distance sessions maybe we can get together and compare notes.

SS,

Kind of got the itch to buy the same rifle and put a US Optics SN-9 on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buddhapapa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SS,

Kind of got the itch to buy the same rifle and put a US Optics SN-9 on it. </div></div>

I just cured my itch and it should be here friday!

Been reading scope threads alot on here. It's going to cost almost as much as the rifle to put one of these uber scopes on it lol.

Right now one of the vortex pst's sound along my line till I can learn how to shoot well enough to need anything to crazy.

Cheers to your purchase SS and report back please.

My Vortex Viper PST should be here by the end of the week...Im still wating on my Rail, Tripod and Mounts though, as soon as its set up Ill report back with how I find it at the range:)

Viper PST 6-24x50 Mrad arrived today and initial impressions are very good.... it has a solid feel to it and the overall quality is excellent. The magnification range is amazing and the glass is supremely clear. AT 24x I could see the front door of a house about 5k away through the heat haze with almost perfect clarity. The turrets and focus knobs are firm and Id feel quite comfortable taking it hunting without fear of accidental adjustments.

I bought my scope from Extravision in Brisbane Australia....the listed price was listed as being $1400.00 AUD but I pulled them up on it and they gave it to me for $1005.00 inc postage and GST.

Here are some pics.

VortexViper001.jpg

VortexViper004.jpg

VortexViper005.jpg

VortexViper008.jpg

all comming together, great.
i went with the Night Force 5.5-22x56 NXS with NP-R1 Reticles and Zero stop.
we're going to have to catch up shortly, the monarto range is about 10 minutes away for me.

p.s. the bi-pod was a Harris Swivel $180 was the rrp. but that and the rounds was included in my over all price, now i just gotta add a couple more $$$ for the scope, scope rings and the NF Angle Degree Indicator with Bubble Level which i feel will be a benifit for alot of the shooting ill be doing.

ps.s....
quote by ss....
<span style="text-decoration: underline">Im also getting a 20 MOA rail </span>for $180.00 Your not that far from me really Im at Aldinga so its just a trip up past Victor to the highway.:) When you get it all sorted mate hit me up, Ill be going to the range at Monarto for some long distance sessions maybe we can get together and compare notes.

the 110 ba already has 20MOA built into the picatinny??? why the 20MOA rail???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D'S</div><div class="ubbcode-body">all comming together, great.
i went with the Night Force 5.5-22x56 NXS with NP-R1 Reticles and Zero stop.
we're going to have to catch up shortly, the monarto range is about 10 minutes away for me.

p.s. the bi-pod was a Harris Swivel $180 was the rrp. but that and the rounds was included in my over all price, now i just gotta add a couple more $$$ for the scope, scope rings and the NF Angle Degree Indicator with Bubble Level which i feel will be a benifit for alot of the shooting ill be doing.

ps.s....
quote by ss....
<span style="text-decoration: underline">Im also getting a 20 MOA rail </span>for $180.00 Your not that far from me really Im at Aldinga so its just a trip up past Victor to the highway.:) When you get it all sorted mate hit me up, Ill be going to the range at Monarto for some long distance sessions maybe we can get together and compare notes.

the 110 ba already has 20MOA built into the picatinny??? why the 20MOA rail??? </div></div>

You know I never noticed that.....How I could have missed that I don't know!

Its a good thing though cos I like the look of the rail that comes with the rifle even if Ill never use the extra mounting positions for anything. This is also good cos I can now go and get the scope mounts and fit my scope:)

Ill be in touch mate:)

check the NF Ultralite rings, thats what was suggested to me for my aplication.
CNC Machined 7075-T6 hard anodized aluminium body and titanium beta series crossbolts and jaws.
Available in five hights:
they may or may not suit your needs, worth a look though
wink.gif

Id probably go for the .885 or 1.00 to keep the scope as low as possible. Ill head down to my store in the next cpl of weeks and see what he has in stock.

not that it matters much now, but the Bushnel Elite 6500 is a beautiful optic for the price. I think you still did very well. I just had the joy of looking through a PST last week. Oh boy! Nice scope for the cash also...good luck.

Just sighted in the rifle, ill take some pics and upload them....the scope works really well. I had a chance to look through a NF scope on the weekend and its visibly clearer....I want one now!

hey mate, i haven't looked in for a while, good you got that rifle sighted. im extremely happy with mine.the NF scope finally arrived after a long wait, but well worth it. still wait'n to get back down to the city to pick up my angle indicator but sighted in easily and very accurate after runn'n the barrel in. 10mm-12mm centre to centre groups @ 318yards using winchester 180g silver tips. ill post some pix up tonight a little later. going to go drop a few goats next weekend. ill be using remington 150g core lokt. should do the job nicely.
talk soon.
D'S....

picture770.jpg

Awesome mate nice one...case looks good what brand is that? Replied to your Pm and definitely keen to catch up at some stage,...goats hey..now that sounds fun..I have a few 180 gr Winchester ballistic tips here that I'm going to use to run the barrel in properly..should be all sorted within the next month or so.

newstuff004.jpg

newstuff005.jpg

newstuff010.jpg

newstuff008.jpg

newstuff007.jpg

Hi,

Just picked up one of these in .300WM from Horsley Park ($3270). I've attached a NF NXS 12-42x56 with Leupold QRW High (1.09") rings and found that when zeroed at 300m the scope is near the middle of its elevation. i.e. 45MoA in scope, 25MOA down and 23MoA up to maximum elevation.
With the 20MoA rail, I would have expected >5MoA down and 50+MoA up on the scope.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this occur or have any suggestions?

Any chance anyone would know the measurements of the factory 20MoA rail, so I can verify that its 20MoA (can't really see downward slope on the rail with the eye).

Thanks in Advance !

Hello,
Well, i never thought id be crazy enough to buy the 110 BA 300 win mag but i did and i got mine for $1,800 usd. It was on sale for black friday and ive been looking for a quality scope for long range shooting bc i eventually want to comp shoot but im far to new to the higher caliber rounds im use to the little stuff like my XDm45 acp.

Im curious to know if the Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP will be good enough for comp shooting in the future bc spending a grand for a scope i would like it to last and be good for the purpose i plan to use it for. also im new to long range shooting.

i currently only have a vortex Crossfire 4-16x50 AO on it just so i can get used to the rifle(also the only scope i had laying around) lol these things are sturdy i am actually liking the vortex scopes so im seriously considering the viper but idk if its the choose for comp shooting is all im worried about bc thats what i want to get into. wow long winded sry!

Im not affraid to admit i dont know what im talking about lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WiskyTangoFoxtrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello,
Well, i never thought id be crazy enough to buy the 110 BA 300 win mag but i did and i got mine for $1,800 usd. It was on sale for black friday and ive been looking for a quality scope for long range shooting bc i eventually want to comp shoot but im far to new to the higher caliber rounds im use to the little stuff like my XDm45 acp.

Im curious to know if the Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP will be good enough for comp shooting in the future bc spending a grand for a scope i would like it to last and be good for the purpose i plan to use it for. also im new to long range shooting.

i currently only have a vortex Crossfire 4-16x50 AO on it just so i can get used to the rifle(also the only scope i had laying around) lol these things are sturdy i am actually liking the vortex scopes so im seriously considering the viper but idk if its the choose for comp shooting is all im worried about bc thats what i want to get into. wow long winded sry!

Im not affraid to admit i dont know what im talking about lol
</div></div>

The PST is being used by many for Competition use. If your current scope is a Crossfire there is no comparison to the jump to the PST you're speaking of. You are going to a VERY good mid-level optic from a ok low level optic. Its going to be no comparison.

For the questions about the 20MOA rail, savage sent out alot of scope rails that are 0MOA for the model of rifles you guys own. If I was you and you had that little of up correction I would order a 30MOA base myself. Hopefully you have enough room between your objective and the barrel with your scope ring choice but the added up correction would be well worth it.

On amount of up correction available it all depends on the optic. Every optic from the factory is different and the lense in which you adjust is in different places on each scope. Some scopes of the same model may zero at 5moa up from bottom of adjustment where some may zero at 25moa up. Just depends on the one you purchased.

Look at the USO website on Erector Centering. This will maximize your up corrections and elevation corrections for your scope and is a very easy process.

http://www.usoptics.com/index.php?page=instructions

I personally am debating looking into a 30moa base myself as I currently have 69 of my 104 moa of up correction available. Which is more than enough considering i have another 40moa of up correction available in my reticle. It would just be nice to be able to dia my scope to 1 mile with no worries about hold over :-D

Good luck,
Merritt