• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope for Finnish Tkiv-85 needed

jwSubMOA

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
May 13, 2010
Mississippi
Howdy everyone! I've finally gathered enough original NOS parts to put one of these together. The only real issue I'm having is an appropriate scope. The mount for these uses a 30mm tube scope with the adjustment knobs closer to the front of the scope. The originals were either a MSW 4x or 1-6 S&B diavari. I know I'm unlikely to find an original I can afford, but thought someone here might have something similar they are willing to sell.

For those that aren't familiar with this weapon, it's the very last version of the Mosin-Nagant and is still in service with the Finnish Defense Forces. It uses a heavy target stock,heavy barrel and a unique barrel bedding sleeve that free floats the action and barrel. It's very possible this is the only one in the USA. I have a few Finnish target and sniper rifles and can't wait to shoot this one. Thanks and please PM me if you have something that might work.

Re: Scope for Finnish Tkiv-85 needed

Did you search the Mosin collector and Sniper rile forums at Gunboards? I could have sworn I've seen a couple discussions there, regarding these rifles/scopes/mounts, in the last few months.

John

I did, but while there was a lot of information no one had eyes on any authentic parts. In the attached photo if you take away the top and bottom stocks I got everything else plus a cleaning kit and the unique match trigger. I don't expect to find an original but a 30mm German scope should do,as long as the turrets are shifted to the front.
93f906d4.jpg

I wish I had more solid info for you. If you haven't already, keep an eye out on Ebay for a seller by the name of "germansniper1", who often sells this type of stuff. Shipping is a bit high, but everyone I know who has bought something from him has been more than satisfied and he has a lot of scopes from this period that usually sell for reasonable prices.

That thing is going to be AWESOME! I will be jealous and I'm pretty sure you'll have the only one in the US. I wonder if this scope would work for you...
http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.p...431e55eecfb37b9

I have a customized M28/76 chambered in 260 rem and took 2nd at a long range match... The factory barrel (.308" not .311") was also very accurate with 175smk's and Varget over BR-2's.

Pleas keep us posted on this project as it comes together.

Howdy! Thanks for the link! I'll call and check that out. I'm getting closer to putting it together. Should have the bedding sleeve in a few weeks. Are you the fellow that had the thread about converting your rifle to .260 with a Benchmark barrel? If so, that was awesome! I have two M28/76s, both with the scope base. Love to shoot them and having something a little weird! I'll definitely keep the thread updated.

Loved your project,very well executed. I lucked upon a Gunbroker auction for the target stocked variant of the Tkiv-85. After purchasing it and corresponding with the seller in Finland I discovered he had a few original NOS parts. Everything I got is unused and unserialized, indicating they were spares never used to assemble a rifle. The seller has 2 of the 30 original field trial stocks from the original R&D phase for this rifle.

I think I need to go to Finland and make some friends
laugh.gif

If I was to do my project over I would have been more patient (order and wait for reamer) and had the rifle chambered in 6.5x54R... and I'd have gone a bit heavier on the barrel. That cartridge should split the difference between the 260 and 6.5x284. Are you considering having a secondary barrel made for competition shooting?

There aren't very many competitions in my area, though I may try entering something this summer. Since I require adaptive equipment, such as my Hog Saddle and am unable to shoot prone I'm not sure I would be allowed to enter conventional comps. Bench shooting is ok but doesn't really interest me. I may very well chamber a barrel in 6.5x54r and give it a try, I love oddball rifles and chamberings.

I've sorta accidentally gotten into vintage target and sniper rifles. I usually will find one part for a certain rifle and then seem to find the rest of the parts soon after. I built a Parker Hale M86 that way after finding a finished receiver from Numrich. Next thing you know I had a NOS stock and bipod and the rest of the small parts. I picked up a really odd one on GB listed as " An old BSA". It wound up being a BSA CF-T target rifle in very good shape. It's chambered in 7.62 NATO and has a unique action and unbelievable trigger. I have the two M28/76s and I'm thinking of getting a Hungarian 54/91 sniper just to be really weird.

It gets a bit warmer out and I'll post some pictures of my freakshow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwSubMOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did, but while there was a lot of information no one had eyes on any authentic parts. In the attached photo if you take away the top and bottom stocks I got everything else plus a cleaning kit and the unique match trigger. I don't expect to find an original but a 30mm German scope should do,as long as the turrets are shifted to the front.</div></div>

Wow! That is awesome. You would be about 1 of 2 to own one in the US.

I see a scope mount in this picture, where the heck did you get that??!?!
I have two M28/76's and one with the scope base and have not been able to find a scope mount anywhere.

For the scope I have seen they used Wetzlar/MSW/S&B on the M28, and the Tkiv is the "replacement" (I meant) to the M28 so I bet a Zeiss or Wetzlar for sure. Finding an original with the Finnish Defense Forces markings may be too hard to come by, cause they are still being used in service....unless you have a friend in the FDF who can get you one? (but dang would that be sweet)

This guy actually brought back a disassembled one from Finland...
http://www.msgunowners.com/t21998-m28-76-finnish-rifle-762x54r

I also know the Tkiv is chambered in the 7.62x53r. Prvi has some 7.62x54r rounds that are also labeled (7.62x53r) in parenthesis just like that. Someone mic'ed the projectile and found it is a .309 which is spot on for the D166 or SAKO marked receivers in x53r.

Yeah please post pictures when done
smile.gif

Lol,it is a small world! That link to Ms Gun Owners is my post! The picture in that thread is just a picture I found showing the rifle disassembled for illustration purposes. So looks like I'll still be 1 of 1,lol. The photo in this thread is of the stocks and parts the seller had available, if you take away the top and bottom stocks I got everything plus the unique trigger. The top stock is a field trials stock and the bottom is the target stock for the competition variant,think I'm gonna get that too. The mount for the TKIV85 is the same as the one for the M28/76 except it has 30mm rings while the other is 26mm. Call TGI (Tennessee guns) and see if they still have mounts. I missed a S&B 1.5-6 Mildot on EBay that was THE correct scope so the search continues. Hopefully I'll have it done before long.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwSubMOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lol,it is a small world! That link to Ms Gun Owners is my post! The picture in that thread is just a picture I found showing the rifle disassembled for illustration purposes. So looks like I'll still be 1 of 1,lol. The photo in this thread is of the stocks and parts the seller had available, if you take away the top and bottom stocks I got everything plus the unique trigger. The top stock is a field trials stock and the bottom is the target stock for the competition variant,think I'm gonna get that too. The mount for the TKIV85 is the same as the one for the M28/76 except it has 30mm rings while the other is 26mm. Call TGI (Tennessee guns) and see if they still have mounts. I missed a S&B 1.5-6 Mildot on EBay that was THE correct scope so the search continues. Hopefully I'll have it done before long.</div></div>

Lol dang yes it is......very cool, only 1 it is then.
Dang on the scope, hopefully you come across another one.

Thanks I was actually thinking about calling up TGI, now I am going to....I called them they do not have any around anymore and said the last set they had sold on Gunbroker for way too much!! Ouch. 0_o

Yep unfortunately those mounts were never cheap and got more expensive. If you just want to scope it and don't have to have the original mount I may can help. I think I have one more base adapter that I made to scope one of mine. It slides into the lower base and you mount a Leupold turn in base for a Marlin 336 onto it. Using Leupold rIngs allows you to adjust coarse windage like the original mount. Works very well. PM me your address and I'll send it to you. You will need a machinist or proper gunsmith to mount the Leupold base but it's no big deal.

Hi there

I have noticed that quite a many of you guys are interested in the finnish made Valmet 7.62 Tkiv 85 sniper rifle (7.62 Tkiv 85 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and yes you can not buy that gun from anywhere but what you can do is build your own. So where I'm going with this is that I currently have one 7.62 Tkiv-85 stock in my hands that I could sell if someone would like to build their own Tkiv-85.

P.s I might be able to get more through my contacts.

Contact me if interested.

[email protected]TKIV-85-1.jpgTKIV-85-2.jpgTKIV-85-3.jpgTKIV-85-4.jpg