• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes scope for my hunting rifle

toddconley

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2007
Kentucky
I am getting ready to order new glass for my 7mmwsm browning abolt. It is all stock. Weighs very little about 6lbs I guess. Shoots 1/2 groups with anything you stick in it. Will never be sold or traded. I had a burris ballistic plex on it but I want to move up in glass. I have good scopes so I know a little about what good looks like. Here is my options. I wanted a nf 2.5-10X32 but I just cant swing it money wise. I want good glass. Power is second. Weight is also a consideration. Most likley will carry it on my next elk hunt. Zeiss Conquest 1 in tube. Ior 2.5-10 30 mm tube. What have I missed? What about the horus 3-12? How is the glass? I have old nikon tact 4-16 and I am not impressed with the glass. So I am not considering Nikon at this point. Have a 2.5-8 Mark 4 mrt not impressed for the money. Have a 5.5-22 NF. Way too big.

Re: scope for my hunting rifle

Well, dosn't sound like your much of a Leupy fan but there is a 3.5-10x50 VX-L for $500 shipped in the for sale section. I have no exp. with the VX-L's (just looked through a few) but thats a hell of a price.

Oh, and you might reconcider Nikon. Thier late model scopes have very good glass IMO.

okie

DO u think the late model will have better glass? I have no experience with the top end model of late?

todd,

Look hard at SWFA's SS 3-9x42MM. Very clear glass, FFP, Mildot, and MIL/MIL adjustments for $599.99 Side by side with an IOR 2.5-10x42mm, it compares very well. Not better, but very close.

Bob

leupold variX III or a vxIII 3.5-10x40 is all you really need, i have several of these and they are great hunting scopes

I happened to have a chance to look through the 3-12 Horus this Sunday. A guy was shooting it on the bench one down from me at AMC.

My comments? The image was horrible. When looking through it, what I saw was a distorted image with alot of chromatic aberration. The Horus 3-12 reminded me of my cheap binoculars with the 3 element eyepieces. The lines weren't straight, there was quite a bit of edge astigmatism as well on top of the CA. Gah!

In the Horus's praise, the guy did shoot fairly decent groups for an AR-10. He told me Horus use the same glass as Nightforce or something. Not so sure about that....

And I'm a guy who was considering getting a Horus too. I was so excited seeing a Horus at the range; however, after looking through it, my heart fell into my stomach. Now I'm thinking that since Premier Reticles has a Horus reticle listed as TBD, maybe I'll get that instead when it becomes available.

You might want to consider a Sightron. They have great glass, lots of MOA's to burn, and are priced very attractively.

If 1" tube I have the Nikon 4.5-14 on my hunting 270WSM and with a 20 moa base I am just up from the bottom of elevation travel for a 100 yard zero. Way more than enough to go to 1000 yards....repeatable adjustments and I will probably leave the caps off most of the time. It ranges with the Mildot at 12x. Very clear...about $290 off Egay from Foxoptics....much better value than Lupy to me. I would belive that a 10moa base or a set of Talley 1 piece would be wonderfull on a hunting rig.

My go-to, light-weight hunter is a Tikka T3 (about 6.5 pounds) and it wears a Swaro American 3-10x42. The scope is ballz-out great, great glass, great reticle, very reliable, tracks dead-on.

SWFA has them for $899.00 - which is a great deal.

Swarovski 3-10x42 American Riflescope Swarovski 3-10x42 American Riflescope
Stock # - 52028

* Matte
* Ballistic Reticle
* 1"

$899.95

Mine is in Talley light-weight rings and the setup has been beat to hell and is still dead-on, never a hiccup. For light-weight and strong, I have yet to find a better setup.

Tikka1.jpg

I forgot about swaro didnt think about sightron either?

A Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36 with M1s in Talley LW low rings is fairly versatile, light, and won't break the bank.

The glass seems great to me, and plenty of non-critical eye relief.

M700 30-06 in McMillan BDL stock with said scope:
Copyof2009-07-0713-03-16.jpg

I have a Zeiss 4.5-14x44mm AO MC Mildot mounted on my rig and love it. $869.99 plus tax. It's great in low light shooting conditions and the clarity is outstanding. And I only had to sleep in the dog house for 3 day's after I got it...

Kevin

+10 on Loopie 2.5-8x36, a great, light and compact (mounts low) scope. Until you go to Swaro, Schmidt and Zeiss, there is no superior all around hunting scope.
You don't need a bigger objective in a good scope unless you plan night hunts. If possible get it with the German #4 reticle that works in the dark woods or on on the bright flats equally well.

I have bought a lot from this guy and price and service are excellent:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LEUPOLD-VX-3-2-5-8X3...4#ht_4052wt_941

This one is silver, but a "question" to him would get you one in gloss or matte I'm sure.

good shooting

I have an NXS 2.5-10X24 on my hunting rig. It's awesome. I mistakenly thought it might be dark cuz the small objective bell but I was mistaken. It's very bright and crystal clear.

I would have to second the 2.5-8 leupold as well, I've had one on a 06' abolt for 20+ years, never failed me yet. Very light, low profile, and durable. Only thing I'd change on mine is if I had it to do over again I'd get one of the mark 4 models with the M2 1/2 MOA low profile adjustment knobs and mildots.

That said my new favorite hunting scope (non-varmint) is the 3.5-10x M3 leupold, either the mark 4 or the old Viii tactical.

I like that it has exposed knobs but they are low profile. You get parallax adjustment, and you can dial your yardage super fast, no worries about rotations. Most times hunting you just can zero at 300 yards and use hold overs past that, but there are times where you have the time to dial the scope in as well, and having the low profile exposed knobs are great. Frankly more tac scopes need to get away from these huge 1"+ tall knobs.

A lot of guys scoff at the 1 moa adjustments for elevation but it's perfect for hunting. Even at 800 yards 1 MOA gets you +/- ~4" from your point of aim, close enough to be in the vitals on any medium to large game easily. A simple 1/4 turn of the knob, 20 clicks gets a 308 from 100 yard zero to 600 yards. I've used the .1 mil and 1/4 MOA adjust scopes and they take too long and are too easy to not be sure if you are a full revolution of adjustment off when dialing fast. When I've used these scopes in the past the bottom line is you can forget dialing in the field most of the time, it takes too long and is too easy to forget where you are in your adjustment.

The NF 3-15 would be a great hunting scope with the zero stop, but it has two problems for a lighter hunting rig. First it is heavy 30oz is more than twice the weight of the 2.5-8x and over a half pound more than the 3.5-10x M3. It's also a 50mm objective which requires larger/heavier mounts and makes it near impossible to get any kind of cheek weld with a hunting stock. The 2.5-10x32 isn't a bad option either, I'd have liked to have seen them do a 36-40mm objective, lower profile knobs as well, same weight as the 3.5-10 M3, makes for a very nice compact package, but as you said is out of your price range. It's also too bad they don't offer the MLR reticule in the 2.5-10x32. The NF is probably more durable and reliable, but the leupold is no slouch in that department either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toddconley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DO u think the late model will have better glass? I have no experience with the top end model of late? </div></div>

Dont know about the top end models, the one I have is a 6-18x40 Buckmaster. It is late model and the glass is very good, it impressed me the first time I looked through it. Its also very repeatable with good audible clicks witch may not be all that important to you on a hunting stick. Monarchs are a step up. If I were your though, I would also consider an older VX-3 very seriously. JMO. Good luck.

okie

I have owned them all except USO. I now have a diavari 2.5-10x42 with #4. 15oz, 30mm tube,best glass, bold etched #4 glass reticle, FFP, 3.5" eye relief.

I looked throught the zeiss yesterday at the gander mountain. Might be one of the brightest scopes I have looked at. I wish I could have had my nf with me to compare. Pretty good glass though. I am very heavily leaning to the zeiss at thsi point.
t

I have four Zeiss Conquest, several Luepies, Nightforce, and Nikon. IMHO for hunting, go with the Zeiss. I am not saying they don't fail, but I haven't heard of one fail yet. You can hunt all night on a clear night. I shot a black boar last year one solid hour before daylight at hundred yards and had no trouble picking him up. With the other scopes mentioned this would not have happened.

Eddie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toddconley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I looked throught the zeiss yesterday at the gander mountain. Might be one of the brightest scopes I have looked at. I wish I could have had my nf with me to compare. Pretty good glass though. I am very heavily leaning to the zeiss at thsi point.
t </div></div>

I was the same way, until I broke down and got mine. I am a big Zeiss fan. I hope it last me for a really long time. They have the best clarity I've seen in that price range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have four Zeiss Conquest, several Luepies, Nightforce, and Nikon. IMHO for hunting, go with the Zeiss. I am not saying they don't fail, but I haven't heard of one fail yet. You can hunt all night on a clear night. I shot a black boar last year one solid hour before daylight at hundred yards and had no trouble picking him up. With the other scopes mentioned this would not have happened.

Eddie </div></div>

Happy to see some Zeiss fan's in here. My Zeiss is a Conquest 4.5-14x44mm AO MC and I love it!

Kevin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">todd,

Look hard at SWFA's SS 3-9x42MM. Very clear glass, FFP, Mildot, and MIL/MIL adjustments for $599.99 Side by side with an IOR 2.5-10x42mm, it compares very well. Not better, but very close.

Bob

</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Super Sniper 3-9x42mm!</span> "Very clear glass, FFP, Mildot, and MIL/MIL adjustments <span style="font-weight: bold">and an excellent warrenty</span> for $599.99"

Guys, he want a hunting scope, not a varmint/sniper/target scope.
Mil-Dots and twiddling knobs have no place in real world Elk hunt.
MT, ID & WY Game and Fish report the vast majority of Elk are killed at 150 yards or less.

That's probably because 75% of the hunters that go into the field can't HIT an elk past 150 yards. How many times have we all seen guys that go to the range shoot 6" groups at 100 yards off a BENCH and are happy to go into the field. No practicing position shooting, no practicing without a rest, etc. etc. It's a wonder they can hit an elk at 150 in field conditions. I see people miss deer all the time under 100 yards, it's got nothing to do with their optic, it's because they can't shoot.

I see no downside at all to choosing a 2.5-8x leupold set up with the M2 knobs and mildot. If you get confused using a mildot for a zero center shot you shouldn't be hunting. It's simply another option that costs what....1oz or two of weight and some cash. It's still every bit as fast as a duplex reticle with hunting turrets in the heat of the moment. Leave it adjusted at 200 yards and you still don't have to touch it from 0-300 for shots.

No one was suggesting he buy a 34mm tube, 56mm obj 5-25 scope with massive turrets and weighs 3lbs, the vast majority of suggestions have been pure hunting scopes as well.

Zeiss Conquest. I have 2 and the glass is top notch. I would not trade them. The Rapid Z reticle system that they offer is pretty slick also once you dial it in for your given load. I would recommend the 4.5-14x50 (for the 44, what ever suites your needs)

Todd, the guy I know who has killed more Elk than his years (he is 91) uses a 30-30 Model 94 made before Pearl Harbor. Still has Red & Green box Rem/UMC 170 softpoints. His secret? He is a HUNTER, not a techno freak. A 6" group at 100 will kill any Elk that ever lived if you get in close. All this sniper stuff is fine for snipers, target shooters and varmint hunters but is a waste of time & money for a big game hunter. A 7 mag or 300 winmag has a point blank range on Elk out to at least 350 yards.
You don't need Mil-Dots and knob twiddling for that, in fact a good fixed 4X will do the job. If you can't get that close, IMO, you better hone your basic wind, cover and camo skills before worrying about your equipment.
But, I'm an old fart too, who learned to hunt by chasing NE Whitetails with a smooth bore Model 12 and deerslugs... effective range with bead sight 50 yards.
So I missed the techno revolution but always had a full freezer.
Was at the range today with a guy who missed a standing Elk last year at 235 lasered yards. His rifle: a B78 in 7 remmag with a 6.5-20 Leupold. The rifle will put 3 in 3/4" @100, so how could he have missed? Durned if I know, but it sure wasn't his equipment.

Similar profile, but also consider a step down to a fixed 6 on a light rifle. That is about as light a scope as can be had.

I like those for hunting or all around use, being smaller, lighter, more rugged, brighter, better optically and less money.

TC

100_1052Large.jpg

VXIII 2.5-8 with M1 elevation turret on top (now it's on a 30-06 rem faux Ti)

VXIII 1.5-5 with M1 elevation turret on bottom, rifle is six-ish pounds. this rifle (7mm-08) is a dandy hunter, and i've used a few.

There is a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x24 for sale right now for a great price. Don't let the 24mm objective bell scare ya, they are crystal clear and very bright. I got one and think they are awesome.

I am buying a zeiss 4.5-14. Just cause. I would like to get it built with the rapid z 600 yd ret and knobs. Can this be done? What would the cost be? the 600 yd reticle matches almost spot on with my 7wsm and 162 amaxes according to the calculating device? Quite a bit of mag and still not too big, I hunt from elevated boxes we have built all over the farm. I hunt corn and bean fields that will very seldom offer a shot less than 200 yds and could have to strech out a little bit. I am not interested in shooting a animal over 400 yds that I didn't take the time to dial the knob. But, I would use the ret if it is as close as they say for the animals standing pretty close to the mark. So if I cant get the ret the way I want it then I will just get mil dot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toddconley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am buying a zeiss 4.5-14. Just cause. I would like to get it built with the rapid z 600 yd ret and knobs. Can this be done? What would the cost be? the 600 yd reticle matches almost spot on with my 7wsm and 162 amaxes according to the calculating device? Quite a bit of mag and still not too big, I hunt from elevated boxes we have built all over the farm. I hunt corn and bean fields that will very seldom offer a shot less than 200 yds and could have to strech out a little bit. I am not interested in shooting a animal over 400 yds that I didn't take the time to dial the knob. But, I would use the ret if it is as close as they say for the animals standing pretty close to the mark. So if I cant get the ret the way I want it then I will just get mil dot </div></div>

I think I've setlled on that as my next hunting scope for my .300 Wby, let me know how it works out.

I'm with rancid coolaid on this one. I have had just about every type of scope mentioned above and none of them will beat the Swaro. You don't realize just how good they are until you hunt with them a while and then go back to another brand. One test I have tried that the Swaro has kicked but on is looking in the direction of a setting sun. It is the only scope that will cut the orange haze and it has allowed me to make some shots that I couldn't have with any of my other scopes. There is not that big of a price difference between the Conquest and the A Line. Compare before you buy.

David

Agree, you can't spend too much on a scope. My mantra is this:
$2000 scope, $800 rifle, 1/2 MOA as far as a 308 is capable.
(I do prefer Schmidt to Swaro, but that's like a debate among $500,000 car nuts)

308tikka.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
308tikka.jpg
</div></div>

That is such a beautiful rifle!

Looks like you have plenty of opinions here but I'll add my 2 cents worth. I put a vari-x III (4.5-15x50) on my Kimber 8400 in 300 WSM. I actually shot a hog on opening morning of deer season at 125 yds in total darkness with this gun/scope. It was easily 45+ mins before sunrise. I also own Sightrons and NF's. Any of Leupold's vari-x III's and older are great scopes. Some of their newer stuff is crap In my opinion. The Glass is supurb, and I bought it off the SWFA sample list for a steal. The Sightron is a fine scope as well, and I don't think they get the credit they deserve for making a fine scope for a reasonable price. The Meopta Meostar R1 4-16x44 is also excellent. Mine is extremely clear! although a little pricey, I think they make an exc. scope that doesn't get alot of press. My Leoplod is is on an A-bolt eclipse 7mag and it will shoot better than i can! The glass is extremely clear on mine. The NF goes w/o saying! You pay the $$ but you damn sure get what you pay for. Mine is going on a Rem. LTR 308 and all I can say is "bambie beware" To sum the disertation up, I would look at vari-x III's and sightrons (best bang for the buck) just going from my experience. Also the NF being a wonderful scope, is heavy. it will add considerable weight to your rifle, but on the other hand if you drop it from a tree stand you probably won't hurt it and there's a good chance it's still sighted in!!

Todd- yes you can have Zeiss change out for turetts and the reticle too. It is possible to order the scope as you want it from some of their dealers. Try opticszone or eurooptics.
As a sidenote, I have 2 conquests and 2 Vari-X III and I perfer the conquests.

I think you would be really happy with a Zeiss Conquest, I know mine has never let me down. Great hunting and target scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spotter300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Zeiss 4.5-14x44mm AO MC Mildot mounted on my rig and love it. $869.99 plus tax. It's great in low light shooting conditions and the clarity is outstanding. And I only had to sleep in the dog house for 3 day's after I got it...

Kevin </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x24 for sale right now for a great price. Don't let the 24mm objective bell scare ya, they are crystal clear and very bright. I got one and think they are awesome. </div></div>

have a NXS 1-4x24 and the 24mm are cristal clear,even in downlight

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My go-to, light-weight hunter is a Tikka T3 (about 6.5 pounds) and it wears a Swaro American 3-10x42. The scope is ballz-out great, great glass, great reticle, very reliable, tracks dead-on.

SWFA has them for $899.00 - which is a great deal.

Swarovski 3-10x42 American Riflescope Swarovski 3-10x42 American Riflescope
Stock # - 52028

* Matte
* Ballistic Reticle
* 1"

$899.95

Mine is in Talley light-weight rings and the setup has been beat to hell and is still dead-on, never a hiccup. For light-weight and strong, I have yet to find a better setup.

Tikka1.jpg
</div></div>

have used several years swarovski for huntig,there are no better one!!
nice paint job
1+

+1 on Swaro over Conquest. I have seen Rancid's Swaro and it certainly is extraordinary. I even put a Swaro on a 300WM of mine after seeing the quality of the glass.

The only thing I like about the Conquest that Swaro doesn't offer is the target knobs. I really like the ease of the target knobs and the ability to put a BDC on the scope of a long range rifle.

Since you are going light weight and good glass and not too high on dollar figure. If it was me (1st choice) A used or new Swarovski hunting scope. I have seen these go for $700 used on this site....Top notch and light as a feather. (My 2nd choice) A luepold 1.5-5 Mark 4 MRT. I have seen these go for around $500-800 used and in nice shape. 3rd choice...Any used Luepold gold ring 30mm or 1" Vari-x 3 or tacticle Luepy MR/T or LR/T.I prefer a variable with a low power setting for close range and large feild of view and better light gathering ability. The higher the magnification, the more you need more light to operate effectively. No you don't need a mil-dot scope to hunt..What you should be after is:Good glass, zero holding ability( consistancy), tough as nails,great light gathering ability and a good deal. Military geared scopes can fit those requirements.. I also use them to hunt with.....Mine can be used in low light way beyond other cheaper scopes that are on my friends hunting rifles... They can't see squat with cheap optics once the sun goes down...SmokeRolls

I have a Zeiss 3-9x Rapid-Z 600 (coincidentally on sale here at the hide, shameless plug I know) and a 6.5-20x.

Zeiss states they will not install any Rapid Z reticle in scopes at this time. They will only swap out other types of reticles. High demand for the Rapid Z. Don't buy a model with turrets and a different reticle with the idea of installing a Rapid-Z. Instead, get a Rapid-Z reticle, and have turrets installed. Last I heard from someone who did that, they charge $60 per turret.

I like Rapid-Z's ranging. IPHY with 2" marks, and 1/2" marks at the ends. The upper half of the vertical crosshair is 18" at 300 yards which is good for ranging game.

Glass is of course excellent. Real bright and very clear. Even though it is not a budget scope, the glass is still underrated. Some people on the web compare it to lesser scopes as equals. I think they're either fanboys of the other brands or blind. I think Zeiss is the best glass you can get until you step up to the serious lines like the Victory, S&B, Swarovski et al and pay 2x as much. I also like the 1" tube. For a non-tactical setup like a hunting rifle, 1" is fine. Buy quality hunting rings and save a lot of money on rings and mounts. It will hold just fine.

The 3-9 Conquest has always been one of the lesser expensive models along with the 1.8-5 and the 4x fixed. These are like Zeiss' way of exposing people to good glass to get people hooked and addicted. Good glass spoils one very quickly. It becomes very hard to impossible to "go back" ...Conquest is a sort of gateway drug.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's probably because 75% of the hunters that go into the field can't HIT an elk past 150 yards. How many times have we all seen guys that go to the range shoot 6" groups at 100 yards off a BENCH and are happy to go into the field. No practicing position shooting, no practicing without a rest, etc. etc. It's a wonder they can hit an elk at 150 in field conditions. I see people miss deer all the time under 100 yards, it's got nothing to do with their optic, it's because they can't shoot.

I see no downside at all to choosing a 2.5-8x leupold set up with the M2 knobs and mildot. If you get confused using a mildot for a zero center shot you shouldn't be hunting. It's simply another option that costs what....1oz or two of weight and some cash. It's still every bit as fast as a duplex reticle with hunting turrets in the heat of the moment. Leave it adjusted at 200 yards and you still don't have to touch it from 0-300 for shots.

No one was suggesting he buy a 34mm tube, 56mm obj 5-25 scope with massive turrets and weighs 3lbs, the vast majority of suggestions have been pure hunting scopes as well.

Todd,

You got that right, the same guy's don't even know what MOA means.....What do you mean come up, what?
</div></div>