• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Lens cleaning

Helix

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2009
Australia
What types of products/techniques do you find most effective in removing dust, fingerprints etc without leaving scratches on the lenses? I always just use a rag or tissue but my scope appears slightly more blurry than it used to and it isn't my eye sight.

Re: Scope Lens cleaning

OTIS used to sell optics care kits, but not sure they do it any more?...(EDITED...yes, they do: http://www.otisgun.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/fcatalog.html&setup=1&cart_id=)

if not, go to your local photographic store (if they still exist), get a decent lens brush, high quality lens tissues and lens cleaner solution.

1) Clean the dust off the lens using light circular motions with the brush.

2) Dampen (don't soak) a cleaning tissue with the cleaning solution and again clean the lens using light circulr motion - don't get your fingers on the lens!

3) With a new tissue, dry and polish the lens - don't get your fingers on the lens!.

Job done!

Use a decent flip-up lens cover and you'll cut down on the times you need to do this.....

Those lens pens scare me. I have scope cleaning kits from Zeiss and S&B, but I rarely clean mine. They have caps on them all the time and dont really get that dirty. I use compressed air occasionally to blow them off. I think they are tougher than most people give them credit for anyway.

I've used Lens pens for years on optics and 10K Aviation NVG tubes and have never had a problem. In purchasing my 1st USO and looking at their recommendations, I'm now following that and agree with their logic.

Best thing I ever did was buy a few small cans of air (Used for computers) and that usually takes care of anything I would encounter on the range or in the field. If you miss a small piece of grit with the pen brush, you'll probably scratch the surface of the optic when you switch over to the pad.

Just my .02

I get the Zeiss pre-moistened cleaning cloths by the box of 50 from Wally World for around 5 bucks.. I use them to clean alot of things...Very handy

I use lens pens myself...

Want one? Ive got hundreds....litteraly....PM Me

I live in australia so it may be a little difficult. I cleaned mine with toilet paper the other day and it appears to have left minute scratches, I hope it comes out.

I've actually noticed that looking at the scope lens in the light at the right angle there does appear to be a smudge mark but its almost definitely not on the top surface, which looks quite confusing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Helix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live in australia so it may be a little difficult. I cleaned mine with toilet paper the other day and it appears to have left minute scratches, I hope it comes out.</div></div>

Thta's why I use proper lens tissue...not abrasive.

There are some scratches on the scope lens but they appear to be not on the surface but rather, on the purple layer just beneath. It doesn't appear to be affecting the scope. Any idea what's up with that?

It really is quite weird. They may well be on the inside. they looks like small scratches or finger marks but they aren't on the exterior surface of the lens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've used Lens pens for years on optics and 10K Aviation NVG tubes and have never had a problem. In purchasing my 1st USO and looking at their recommendations, I'm now following that and agree with their logic.

Best thing I ever did was buy a few small cans of air (Used for computers) and that usually takes care of anything I would encounter on the range or in the field. If you miss a small piece of grit with the pen brush, you'll probably scratch the surface of the optic when you switch over to the pad.

Just my .02 </div></div>

Be careful with the canned air. If you turn the can upside down the air comes out as a super-cooled liquid.

A lot of objective lenses have been trashed this way. Best to stick with normal compressed air.

when i bought my Leica CRF 1200 from CameraLand, I also bought the recommended cleaning kit for premium glass that he recommended. Camera Land is a site sponser and are a bunch of good guys to deal with.