• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope market inside scoop...

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    As we know, the scope market is moving at a break neck pace, and there is a new player about the enter the arena.

10010537_738159696207556_7059708670591098121_o.jpg

getting some inside CAD drawings of the new offering, the first which will be a lower power option

Since you get the inside scoop, can you get someone to make a nice simple high quality light tac style scope in a 3-15 ish size

Seriously, I think the success of any new or future scopes will heavily weigh on giving the customer what they want, and not what the manufacturer thinks the customer wants. In some cases, manufactures these days force things on the customer, and have this attitude "take what we offer and be happy with it".

all the new scopes are way too big, heavy, and have a bunch of shit I don't want, what the hell is up with the giant elevation turret and weirdo fine adjustment lever on the NF BEAST. etc.

Here is what I want for my next ar style scope.
    32 obj lense
    30 mm tube
    1-6 obj
    Illumination
    FFP ret
    Mil/mil or moa/moa match ret.

Yes Zeiss is making one already.

SolidWorks models aside... any specifications on what this may be?

It may be a 1-6x with a titanium body, spinel lenses, dual focal plane reticle, day bright illumination, completely designed and made in the US, or not. Who can say?

I was just assuming it was a compact 4x32 made entirely out of maraging steel and weighing under 50oz. Nicknamed the Shaving Knife gen2, it is so bombproof that the Test Ban Treaty had to be lifted so it could be tested at a secret location in the Nevada desert. (West of that big-to-do cow thing.)

Is this a post to create envy or just a malicious tease? ;)

Well as cool as all that sounds, this thing is the real deal. We've been working on it for a really long time now. Guess it's probably time to share a little more.

We wanted to do something different than the typical glass and aluminum. Not just to differentiate ourselves, but to provide real and practical user benefits. There are lots of scopes out there with great glass. We wanted that too but thought we'd head in a slightly different direction using the latest materials and building on the last few years spent in the defense industry and optoelectronics. Here goes...

We chose spinel because it's so hard. Harder than sapphire actually and has exceptional optical properties. It's widely known in the defense industry in "transparent armor" applications. It may not be the best choice for going bird watching, but it's really good nonetheless and it's the hardest transparent substance out there that can be practically ground into a lens. (Thought we might display them in a rock tumbler filled with granite media. No joke) :) No trademarks here; it's a real material. Lots of info can be googled up about it.

Titanium was chosen for its weight, strength, and limited temperature expansion rates.

Dual Reticles were chosen to address the usability at maximum and minimum power.

There will be a lot of the features people are used to; ccw knobs, 4 reticle choices, stops on the windage and elevation, locking diopter, etc.

And it'll be legitimately made in the US. 100%. Everything from the design to grinding glass to cutting metal to putting them together. This was really important to me.

I figured we wouldn't skimp if we were going to finally put our own name on something. Lots of lessons learned from our previous experiences.

Lots more info to come. I need to get busy and do a proper press release, but it's all still coming together. The above drawing has changed again already.

There will be two more versions coming after this one built to a similar spec, but with longer ranges in mind.

There are more than a few people here that had a lot of input early on. You know who you are. Thanks so much for your help.

Hardware is still a little ways out, but we're really excited about it.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

Best regards,

Nathan Hunt

Last edited:
    If there's a simple ~3-15x ish light tac style I'll buy one

I would like to see an FFP MIL/MIL 2-12x42 model
    w/ 10 MIL per rotation turrets, side focus, and a
    non-illuminated TMR reticle. And try to keep the
    weight at 20oz or less, if possible.

I like the stealth scope without any markings on the turrets. Who needs 'em, right?

This sounds very, very expensive, and very, very awesome. Not sure I'll have the budget for one, but look forward to seeing it nonetheless.

You have my interest, definitely going a different direction than others in the industry who seem to be getting fatter and heavier with each generation. If you can bring this to the market at a respectable price for the features provided with good optical quality, I think you may do very well.

Thanks for everyone's comments!

Amongst the 4 reticles there's a good mix of conventional and outside the box. Without giving too much away there will be 2 bdc variants, a Horus, and a mil dot.

Hudisco, is the mil dot reticle the old standard mil dot (why?) or something more along the lines of the newer types and improved H2CMR/Klein ect?

A standard mil-dot in the year 2014 is a hilarious choice

Interesting question. There is a little bit of a perspective difference in a riflescope because the objective lens is closer to the target than your other eye. We did the math, but will finalize for unity mag once the initial prototypes are done.

Short answer is yes, but unity mag doesn't always work out to be 1x for this reason.

Zis is cuz za glass iz zuperior German glass, ya!

Seriously though, next to S&B scopes the offerings of Zeiss Sport Optics are hard to beat in the glass department. Zeiss just needs a serious tactical upgrade.

Maybe Nathan should explore putting German glass into a kick-a$$ tube instead of spending additional money and time on the spinel optics. What suffers first in tough environments is the AR coating and not the glass itself.

Or maybe Zeiss gets the point that there is enough breathing room in the market place between their Conquest line and S&B. How about putting the Conquest glass (Made in Germany) in a serious tactical tube designed and assembled in the USA, backed by their legendary warranty and service?

One may be allowed to dream, right.

Last edited: