• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Scope options I may have overlooked?

lamarbrog

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2011
Houston, TX
Right now I have a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308Win. I put an HS Precision PST012 stock on it, a NightForce 20MOA raised base, and have NightForce low steel rings on order (30mm).

For scopes... I am most seriously looking at the SWFA SS 10x42mm with rear focus, and will probably get the sun shade (or would the kill flash be better? Both?), and Butler Creek caps.

I'll probably eventually get a Leupold Mk4 10x40mm to replace it. (Or not, depending on how much I like the SS.)

Right now, though, I'm not really ready to drop the money on a Leupold Mk4... Would like to keep it under $500 on an optic for now.

Are there any good options similar to the Super Sniper, which have a 30mm tube? Since the scopes I would consider upgrading to are 30mm, I want to only buy rings once, and get quality rings. I don't like the idea of spacers, so the result is my temporary scope has to be 30mm.

I think I'm making the right choice with the 10x SS, but want to make sure I didn't skip anything.

If indeed the 10X SS is what I want.... What options should I purchase with it? Is the rear focus worth the extra $100? Do I want or need a sun shade or kill flash, and what do they accomplish? I assume the lens caps are almost a necessity?

Thanks. Glad this is finally almost together.
smile.gif

Re: Scope options I may have overlooked?

The SS 10X is a good scope, however the turrets don't match the reticle.
It is also a plain mil-dot, which is not a disqualifier, but I much prefer a matching set.

Since you are limited to 30mm rings and you have decided on low rings, this is your limiting factor.
The scope you have chosen is a fine scope and will work very well for your intended purpose.
Your other options are (not a complete list):
Falcon Menace 4-14 with enhanced mil-dot or ML-16 reticle (much better reticle and mil/mil FFP)

Falcon fixed 10X

WOTAC scope

Millet TRS-1 mil/mil (SFP)

Primary Arms (again turrets don't match reticle)

Hawke sidewinder tactical (see above)

Konus Tactical (see above)

Vortex Viper 6.5-20 mil-dot (see above)

All of the variable scopes listed are SFP, except the Falcon a fixed power scope doesn't matter.

If your looking to keep it around or under 500, SS is about your best bet. Falcon has good reviews, but you cannot beat the reliability and service of the SS from what I have read and experienced.

Look for a nice used Bushnell or Leupy you can find one in that price range Id imagine.

For $500 and under, you are going to have a tough time beating the SS. They are good scopes and the CS is very good.

I would suggest, if you want to buy once, to save up a little bit more. If you're dead stuck at 500, I'd get the SH SS 10x42 group buy and spend the rest on ammo and practice.

Let's say I increase me price to $750?

$1000?

I'm not dead set at $500... but with my current skill level I'm not sure I'll be spending money on anything meaningful past $500 at this point. And while I don't mind spending a good sum on quality hardware, since it retains value pretty well... I know the kind of hit optics take on the used market.

i had the regular plain jane 10x ss when i started out. it served me well and sold it for damn near what i gave for it. no regrets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColtTX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let's say I increase me price to $750?

$1000?

I'm not dead set at $500... but with my current skill level I'm not sure I'll be spending money on anything meaningful past $500 at this point. And while I don't mind spending a good sum on quality hardware, since it retains value pretty well... I know the kind of hit optics take on the used market. </div></div>

The higher you go, the better your options are. While I havent had the best luck with them, check out SWFA. They seem to be a great site contributor and have good deals.

For 750 you can get the Weaver 3-15x tactical FFP scope.

It has just about everything you need, with the exception of a zero stop. If you aren't shooting tac comps or going into harms way, it becomes merely a nice to have feature.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For 750 you can get the Weaver 3-15x tactical FFP scope.
</div></div>

This would be a great choice.

The Weaver is a good choice. Another good one is the Vortex PST line, and of course the SWFA line. All can be had for well under 1000 new and used.

The Bushnell Elite tactical line has a 6-24 for about $1000 and a 3-15 for about $900. I know a couple of guys with the 6-24 and they love it, and I have yet to read a bad review on them. Not a Nightforce or USO, but solid optics and good value.

Look at the SS 10X HD with mil-quad reticle, just got mine in today. I will compare it to my old school Leupold Mk4 10x40mm this weekend, but the comparison isn't apples to apples. MK4 has moa knobs & mil-dot/football style reticle, while the SS has the Mil quad reticle & Mil knobs. Mil/Mil is much quicker/easier for me to use.