• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope Selection Assistance

fords4life

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2021
Colorado
  • What is the platform for the scope? Bergara B-14 HMR
  • What cartridge are you shooting? 6.5 creedmor
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Hunting but want to start working my way up to long range target
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? All conditions for hunting
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? 100 - 400 for hunting and going further for target/plates
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? I don’t have much scope experience but like the idea of an FFP scope. Prefer MIL over MOA. Wondering if an illuminated reticle would help with low light conditions or get in the way? This won’t be the final scope for this rifle but want something decent to get me started.
  • What is the price range you can afford? Would prefer $300-$400, but has to be under $500

Plenty of Athlon scopes that fit in that range. Check CameraLandNY or the PX. Check for a Midas TAC first.

That one is just over your limit, but you can probably squeeze it under $500 if you find one on the PX.

Reactions: secondofangle2
I’ll second the Athlon

If you go ffp then get illuminated reticle

Under 500. Weaver Tac 3-15. It’s made at LOW(Light Optics Works) in Japan
And under 500, easily the best scope you can buy for that amount of money.
And I have multiples of it.

Hawke has some excellent scopes in that price range. Just don't expect $2,000 clarity and quality ... for a $499 price-point.

I have an Athlon Argos BTR Gen2 in MIL that's a great scope for the money. Run it on my Tikka T1X .22. Also have an Athlon Midas Tac 4-16x44 in MIL on my AAA EVOL Tac PCP airgun. Love that one even more. I paid $550 for it with sunshade awhile back and it shoots well above it's price point. Would recommend highly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210226-063400.png
    Screenshot_20210226-063400.png
    494 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20210226-063428.png
    Screenshot_20210226-063428.png
    759.3 KB · Views: 34
Some that were on my list include:
  • Athlon Helos BTR GEN2 2-12 $499
  • SWFA SS HD 3-9 $599
  • Hawke Sidewinder 4-16 $519
  • Vortex Viper PST 4-16 that I can get new for under $500
How does the Helos compare to the Midas since it keeps me in my price range?

Curious about this as well.
“How does the Helos compare to the Midas since it keeps me in my price range?”

Recce mil reticle is in stock there. Can find coupons all over("WLSisLife" worked before)

Similar to the Helos but another option. Pretty good option in that price range. Good luck!

Last edited:
Any 3-15 or 3-18 FFP scope that isn't Chinesium and you'll be fine.

Any 3-15 or 3-18 FFP scope that isn't Chinesium and you'll be fine.
Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 is on closeout in one of their older reticles for $550 on eurooptic which would be great, but that's above budget the posters budget.
What else is there in budget that is FFP, illuminated, right mag range and not OEM'd in china?

Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 is on closeout in one of their older reticles for $550 on eurooptic which would be great, but that's above budget the posters budget.
What else is there in budget that is FFP, illuminated, right mag range and not OEM'd in china?

Find a used Nikon FX1000. I have two. Love them.

If it has to be under $500, here you go...

Lifetime warranty, Precision tracking guarantee, the best turrets under $500 you'll find, simple solid and repeatable zero-stop, glass is on-par (through my eyes) with my Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 EBR-7C, the FFP VPR MIL reticle is really nice & clean and has crisp lines, has illuminated reticle, and right now you can get $170 worth of free stuff (including some really nice rings) for free if you add the Precision Pack to your cart, and use the code: SAVE$170 . 👍🏼

Also, incase you're wondering, their Low 0.92" rings work perfect on a heavy barrel with a 20MOA base.

If you can spend $50 more ($550)... I'd go this route... It has all the same features as the above scope, but with Japanese ED glass...

Last edited:
Reactions: Makinchips208
Arken or
Vortex venom for 500$ and under.
I haven’t really seen anything else in that price range that’s been reviewed enough for me to take the risk of buying.
With the exception of the Argos 6-24 and swfa fixed, both I think are dated designs.
34mm tubes with the most modern reticles are all the rage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Makinchips208