• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope suggestions (500 - 1000 yards)

Glad to hear it. Is it something that would be a true buy once cry once scope? Or do you think I would eventually want to get even better? Does it even get significantly better?
I don't know what to tell you on that... I don't know about the "buy once cry once" because once you go alpha-tier, you don't really want to go back... 😏

My 2 newest toys…Twin 16” MPR’s with matching Kahles K624i scopes.

F89234CE-8A91-4234-ABB8-EAF75E14A415.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Trent A
As long as we are talking about rings... the ones that come in the kit with Arken's... are they worth using, or should I upgrade before ever mounting the scope?
They’re not bad. I’ve got several sets and have had zero issues with them. There’re not Seekins rings by any means, but for $70, they’re not bad at all.

Reactions: Trent A and Rob01
I don't know what to tell you on that... I don't know about the "buy once cry once" because once you go alpha-tier, you don't really want to go back... 😏

My 2 newest toys…Twin 16” MPR’s with matching Kahles K624i scopes.

View attachment 8100740
First, general post, sorry for bouncing out all of a sudden. I was really enjoying the conversation with everyone actively posting, that was great! But, I realized what time it was, and the fact that I had spent all day browsing the Hide, and not studying for the test I just took, lol. It was a bit of an ‘o shot’ moment, to say in the least.

FuhQ: how do you like the MPR? I nearly purchased one from a member recently, in 308, but after reading all of the issues people had with them it scared me off. From what I understand most are great, but several have been a absolute nightmare for some people. Also, found it with a longer barrel for the same price on EuroOptic, and as mentioned before, I’m a bit of a bargain hunter, so that turned me off when there wasn’t wiggle room on the initial list price even weeks later. But even now, I keep going back to look at it, lol. Something about that 16” CF barrel and daydreams of putting my Sandman-L on it, lol. I don’t shoot enough Center fire to make it worth it anyway though. It would been like the Seekins, and my CZ’s, I’d probably just sit and look at them but never shoot it.

Speaking to the Arken EP5. I found a member that would sell me one with a kit for $480 so I picked one up to compare to my SH4 gen ii. I like the idea that I could still run the SH4’s on my other guns, and pick up my premium gun and use the same reticle with nearly the same power range. I also figured at that price, if I didn’t feel it was worth it over the SH4, I could probably relish it with a fairly minimal deficit, say maybe $30 for shipping if I get lucky enough. Thought it worth the investment to check it out. Still eyeballing that Razor pretty hard too though, lol. Anyone know what the resale value on one of those usually runs? With the cert, wondering if I would be able to sell it off without taking to big of a hit, if need be. That being said, I’m pretty sure if it makes it to my house, it’s likely not going to be delisted, lol.

They’re not bad. I’ve got several sets and have had zero issues with them. There’re not Seekins rings by any means, but for $70, they’re not bad at all.
So sounds like they are worth using on the Arken scopes? But probably not so much on any scopes that are better than the Arkens? Generally that wouldn’t even be a issue given most people have them in a 1:1 ratio (don’t know if anyone who goes out of their way to buy them, just people who have them from the kit), but I think I ended up with two extra pair. USPS royally flubba dubed my package, arises ripped open and missilanilus peices from multiple kits missing (had 4 in that order). Arken sent me 2 full kits to replace everything that what missing and then some. I was pretty impressed, especially given it wasn’t their fault at all.

So sounds like they are worth using on the Arken scopes? But probably not so much on any scopes that are better than the Arkens? Generally that wouldn’t even be a issue given most people have them in a 1:1 ratio (don’t know if anyone who goes out of their way to buy them, just people who have them from the kit), but I think I ended up with two extra pair. USPS royally flubba dubed my package, arises ripped open and missilanilus peices from multiple kits missing (had 4 in that order). Arken sent me 2 full kits to replace everything that what missing and then some. I was pretty impressed, especially given it wasn’t their fault at all.
Scopes and rings kind of go hand-in-hand... If you spend the money on a really nice scope to go on your really nice rifle, you buy really nice rings.

You don't skimp on the rings. That would be like buying a brand new Jeep Rubicon, lifting it, and then putting a set of 29" Firestone street tires on it... It would not only look stupid, but quality of function would immediately go down the drain.

• Haha
Scopes and rings kind of go hand-in-hand... If you spend the money on a really nice scope to go on your really nice rifle, you buy really nice rings.

You don't skimp on the rings. That would be like buying a brand new Jeep Rubicon, lifting it, and then putting a set of 29" Firestone street tires on it... It would not only look stupid, but quality of function would immediately go down the drain.
Makes sense, and what a great visual, lol, immediately made your point!

FuhQ: how do you like the MPR? I nearly purchased one from a member recently, in 308, but after reading all of the issues people had with them it scared me off. From what I understand most are great, but several have been a absolute nightmare for some people. Also, found it with a longer barrel for the same price on EuroOptic, and as mentioned before, I’m a bit of a bargain hunter, so that turned me off when there wasn’t wiggle room on the initial list price even weeks later. But even now, I keep going back to look at it, lol. Something about that 16” CF barrel and daydreams of putting my Sandman-L on it, lol. I don’t shoot enough Center fire to make it worth it anyway though. It would been like the Seekins, and my CZ’s, I’d probably just sit and look at them but never shoot it.
So far so good. The 16" .308 Win is doing alright so far, and now that the barrel is breaking in and settling down, I'll probably start load development for it next weekend. The 6mm ARC is also now getting broken-in and settled after the 50 rounds I put through it yesterday. If all my components for it show up in time this week, I'll possibly start load development for it, as well.

So far so good. The 16" .308 Win is doing alright so far, and now that the barrel is breaking in and settling down, I'll probably start load development for it next weekend. The 6mm ARC is also now getting broken-in and settled after the 50 rounds I put through it yesterday. If all my components for it show up in time this week, I'll possibly start load development for it, as well.
They sure are one sweet looking gun, especially at their price point! And light enough to pull double duty for hunting too.

They sure are one sweet looking gun, especially at their price point! And light enough to pull double duty for hunting too.
Yep, I got the 16” .308 because I’m a huge .308 fan, and always wanted a shorty .308. And got the 6 ARC for coyote hunting. I’ll probably end up dropping an AGM RATTLER TS50-640 thermal on it. 😏👍🏼

Yep, I got the 16” .308 because I’m a huge .308 fan, and always wanted a shorty .308. And got the 6 ARC for coyote hunting. I’ll probably end up dropping an AGM RATTLER TS50-640 thermal on it. 😏👍🏼
I’m big on 308 as well. I’ve sold off all but the essentials: 22, 223, 308. Still do have one Tikka T3 in 243 but listed it for sale as well. Got to the point I didn’t feel a need for all the in between cartridges that filled the same rolls.

’m sure you all can tell I’m as green as it gets when it comes to trying to get into long range shooting. I can practically already feel the impending shreds I’m about to be ripped into, lol. Thanks in advance for helping me understand where I’m going wrong, and helping me learn.
EVERYBODY was green B4 they got help.

Read the reviews of gear by the folks I mentioned which will answer even some of the questions you're going to ask in the future.

Even U being "green" helps the folks who lurk but don't participate; they get the benefit of the answers to the questions U ask.

Lowlight, who runs this, says this is all about free speech; there's no STFU period, U speak your peace 5 min. after U get here; what counts is does it make sense, is it right, does it help, and even if what U say is wrong, the info U get to correct that helps others, only an asshole will try to shut anybody up.

Last edited:
MARCH SALE: March HM 4.5-28X52
I don't know UR current status, but March has a sale on which is RARE.
I know U previously mentioned a $2500.00 limit, and March has a sale on the above scope below that...

On Sale: $2250.00
Seems to me like they're moving inventory because of the 2nd coming of the same scope w/the new locking turrets, but of course if the new scope w/the locking turrets isn't in the budget, this is getting a top tier scope for a great price.

Anyway, here's a heads up; they're not known for having a lot of sales.

Here's my photograph of mine, w/o the new turrets.

Each scope is handmade; assembled by one technician, it feels like it/a "little jewel".

This is a good thing Bcuz some folks may pull the trigger on these who otherwise would not be able to afford the scope.

March-F3-RLST14-W.jpg

Last edited:
Another option under the $2500 range is the Zeiss LRP S3 4-25x50. This scope can dial to 600 on a .22 and has a great reticle. They are listed at $2199 on EuroOptic but Cameraland is selling them now too. Also if you are on Expertvoice you can be well under your price range. I just got mine in today and having used many optics over the years I can see quality when I see it. This is it in the front.

288A951E-ABFB-4035-AF0A-85D0A9045971.jpeg

Reactions: FuhQ and Trent A
Forgot to reply about price range. Really, I want to find what I feel is a good value for what I’m getting, but don’t have a set price. That’s how I fell on the Arken and Vortex’s mentioned above, they did everything I wanted in the 200 yrd range for an exceptional price. I haven’t had any experience with top end glass, so I really don’t know what it is I’m really looking for/paying for since I haven’t personally seen the difference. As a max cap, I’ll say $2,500 used. That being said, I’m considering anything between $500 and that amount, so quite the broad range.
Zeiss recently came out with their S3 4-25x50 which has 160MOA of total travel. That's the most I've seen in any scope. If you want to learn more feel free to call me at 504-565-0629

• Love
Are you mil/leo? You can get an Athlon for ridiculous pricing on ExpertVoice if you are. Can't share the prices publicly, but they're damn good.

Are you mil/leo? You can get an Athlon for ridiculous pricing on ExpertVoice if you are. Can't share the prices publicly, but they're damn good.
I’m not, but it seems like I got signed up on there through some other means… or maybe I’m thinking of something else similar that accepted healthcare workers. My FFL dealer that I really like and go to for opinions on things like this also touts Athlon as being the best dollar for dollar optics on the market and said they have a no questions asked warranty as well.

I’m not, but it seems like I got signed up on there through some other means… or maybe I’m thinking of something else similar that accepted healthcare workers. My FFL dealer that I really like and go to for opinions on things like this also touts Athlon as being the best dollar for dollar optics on the market and said they have a no questions asked warranty as well.

Right you are sir, healthcare will do it. Definitely do those edu-game things for access to the brand, the deals are... Well I'll just say you can get the top of the line Athlon for the high end distance number in your title. Well under the price you normally see them go for used.

Last edited:
@Trent A of you are on Expertvoice then look at the Zeiss 4-25. It’s very cheap there and only on sale for another couple days.

Another option under the $2500 range is the Zeiss LRP S3 4-25x50. This scope can dial to 600 on a .22 and has a great reticle. They are listed at $2199 on EuroOptic but Cameraland is selling them now too. Also if you are on Expertvoice you can be well under your price range. I just got mine in today and having used many optics over the years I can see quality when I see it. This is it in the front.

View attachment 8104483
I will second the LRP S3. I've looked through a few of them at the LGS, and they're very nice.

Is that an LRP S3 6-36x56 in the back? How do you feel the 6-36 compares to the 4-25? Any pros or cons to each?

Already got approved for access to ExpertVoice, but looks like just having access doesn’t necessarily give you all the discounts. The only scopes that the discount is ‘unlocked’ on is Shepherd Scopes unfortunately.

I will second the LRP S3. I've looked through a few of them at the LGS, and they're very nice.

Is that an LRP S3 6-36x56 in the back? How do you feel the 6-36 compares to the 4-25? Any pros or cons to each?
Yup that’s the 6-36 in the back. Both have great glass and the same knobs. The 4-25 has more elevation and is a little shorter if that’s needed. The 6-36 still has 32 mils but has more power. No real downside to them but just right tool for the job thing if that makes sense.

Reactions: FuhQ and Trent A
Already got approved for access to ExpertVoice, but looks like just having access doesn’t necessarily give you all the discounts. The only scopes that the discount is ‘unlocked’ on is Shepherd Scopes unfortunately.

Go to the Zeiss page and you might be able to get certified and get the deals. Some pages you have to do some little tests. Not a big deal and you learn about their products.

Yup that’s the 6-36 in the back. Both have great glass and the same knobs. The 4-25 has more elevation and is a little shorter if that’s needed. The 6-36 still has 32 mils but has more power. No real downside to them but just right tool for the job thing if that makes sense.
Just to make sure I’m comparing apples to apples, 32 mil x 3.5 = 112 MOA, right? Compared to the lower powered version that has 160 MOA?

Go to the Zeiss page and you might be able to get certified and get the deals. Some pages you have to do some little tests. Not a big deal and you learn about their products.
I just tried this with the Athlon page but unfortunately, they weren't accepting new members. I'll check out the Zeiss page. I am a fan of Zeiss and would love to get a high-end scope of theirs if it's at the right price! Thank you for the suggestion!

Unfortunately didn't find anything that would unlock my access to Zeiss either. Did find what you were describing on the vortex page. Working my way through their 15 tests to get access to see what kind of discounts they might offer.

How does the Athlon Midas Tac HD 6-24x50 compare to the Arken EP5? I have an EP5, and looked through the Midas today, and both seemed quite nice to me. Being uneducated on what to look for, though, I honestly couldn't tell you which was better or if one would serve me better than the other for long-range shooting.

The reason I ask is I am buying a rifle, and the seller is giving me the option to take or leave the accessories for $600, which consists of a Magpul bipod, Athlon Midas Tac HD 6-24x50, and Warne Mountain Tech rings. Pricing it out new, it seems to be about $950 worth of gear.

That being said, wondering, even if this is a good deal, would I be better off saving the money for something better? My FFL dealer said he can get me Athlon scopes for about 20% under market value. Does anyone know how Athlon's top-of-the-line Cronus BTR Gen2 4.5-29x56 stacks up against competitors? Saw a used one for $1300. It looks like they can be had new for under $1500. Haven't asked my FFL for exact pricing.

Did the tests for Steiner and Athlon. Seriously considering trying one of Athlon’s top of the line Cronus scopes for what they are offering it for. Anyone know how it compares to other scopes? I’ve heard they punch well above their price point, but how much higher I don’t know.

Did the tests for Steiner and Athlon. Seriously considering trying one of Athlon’s top of the line Cronus scopes for what they are offering it for. Anyone know how it compares to other scopes? I’ve heard they punch well above their price point, but how much higher I don’t know.
I've read that it's a give and take competitor with the Razor II.

Here's a side by side of the Cronus I, Ares ETR, Razor II, Tango 6 by Trollygag on reddit. Afaik the major difference between Cronus I and II is the turrets but glass is the same, so despite being two years old the comparison remains valid imo. My EV ordered Cronus is arriving tomorrow, speedy shipping for an order placed on Saturday.

Linky

I've read that it's a give and take competitor with the Razor II.

Here's a side by side of the Cronus I, Ares ETR, Razor II, Tango 6 by Trollygag on reddit. Afaik the major difference between Cronus I and II is the turrets but glass is the same, so despite being two years old the comparison remains valid imo. My EV ordered Cronus is arriving tomorrow, speedy shipping for an order placed on Saturday.

Linky
I'll check it out. Thank you! I assume you must have found the results favorable if you ordered one?

I'll check it out. Thank you! I assume you must have found the results favorable if you ordered one?
For me, yes. The EV deal brought it down to a price point I'm comfortable with, at full price both of them are off the table for me. Hard to say no to the significant price gap between a new Cronus and even a used Razor. Tbh, even at this price it hurts a little but I can use it for the foreseeable future without needing or wanting to upgrade. If it turns out I hate it I can't really lose money selling it either.

For me, yes. The EV deal brought it down to a price point I'm comfortable with, at full price both of them are off the table for me. Hard to say no to the significant price gap between a new Cronus and even a used Razor. Tbh, even at this price it hurts a little but I can use it for the foreseeable future without needing or wanting to upgrade. If it turns out I hate it I can't really lose money selling it either.
I was thinking similarly on the fact that it might be a good option to try with relatively small risk of money loss, or potentially even gain, given it seems used ones are going for more than the EV rate. About a wash with tax and shipping I would think.

Reactions: LooseGoose
What are everyone’s thoughts on sharing one scope between multiple rifles? Really I have 4 guns that I could be potentially wanting to shoot long range. The one 22 LR will see 95% of the action, a 223 4%, and the last 1% split between another 22 LR and a 308. This is what I predict their use will probably remain at for the next 5+ years.

Is it feasible/realistic to get one good scope and switch it around when I occasionally use the other guns? Should I get one good scope for the main 22 LR and mediocre ones for the rest? Or go midrange on all 4?

I feel like either getting one really good scope to try to share for now OR get two Athlon Cronus scopes for the two main guns. Could be thinking about it all wrong though.

What are everyone’s thoughts on sharing one scope between multiple rifles? Really I have 4 guns that I could be potentially wanting to shoot long range. The one 22 LR will see 95% of the action, a 223 4%, and the last 1% split between another 22 LR and a 308. This is what I predict their use will probably remain at for the next 5+ years.

Is it feasible/realistic to get one good scope and switch it around when I occasionally use the other guns? Should I get one good scope for the main 22 LR and mediocre ones for the rest? Or go midrange on all 4?

I feel like either getting one really good scope to try to share for now OR get two Athlon Cronus scopes for the two main guns. Could be thinking about it all wrong though.
Don't do it... Like the old saying goes, "A place for everything, and everything in it's place..." If that limits your budget, so be it, but trying to share a scope (unless it's on a switch-barrel rifle where the optic stays mounted to the same receiver), is a huge pain in the ass.

Don't do it... Like the old saying goes, "A place for everything, and everything in it's place..." If that limits your budget, so be it, but trying to share a scope (unless it's on a switch-barrel rifle where the optic stays mounted to the same receiver), is a huge pain in the ass.
Maybe I’ll either get one really good scope (still leaning to that Vortex gen 3 razor) for the Vudoo and a Athlon Cronus for the 223, or just go with two Cronus’s, and nix the two that won’t be used much until funds recoup.

Maybe I’ll either get one really good scope (still leaning to that Vortex gen 3 razor) for the Vudoo and a Athlon Cronus for the 223, or just go with two Cronus’s, and nix the two that won’t be used much until funds recoup.
For Razor money, you can get German Schott glass if you go with the Kahles K624i. They’re made in Austria. 👍🏼

Also, the illumination (how it works) will blow you away. There are no settings, you turn a smooth dial up or down for intensity, so it’s infinitely adjustable. Also, the parallax is the big ring under the elevation turret. Once you get used to it, It’s an amazing setup.

For Razor money, you can get German Schott glass if you go with the Kahles K624i. They’re made in Austria. 👍🏼

Also, the illumination (how it works) will blow you away. There are no settings, you turn a smooth dial up or down for intensity, so it’s infinitely adjustable. Also, the parallax is the big ring under the elevation turret. Once you get used to it, It’s an amazing setup.

I know Khales is a really good brand but past that I’m unfamiliar with them. Also, with the 30% vortex certificate that I have it brings the pre tax cost to $2200 on the Razor. Is the Khales a good step up from the Razor?

I know Khales is a really good brand but past that I’m unfamiliar with them. Also, with the 30% vortex certificate that I have it brings the pre tax cost to $2200 on the Razor. Is the Khales a good step up from the Razor?
IMO, yes. German glass and engineering is superior to Japanese glass and engineering. I own plenty of nice LOW-built (Japan) optics, and several German/Austrian scopes, too. To me, the Kahles has better lens coatings and UV blockers. The image remains neutral, which is great on sunny days with lots of glare, but the glass still brightens up low-light images phenomenally.

+1 on the zeiss 4-25 s3

just make sure you get enough taper on your rail to make use of that extra elevation.

a good 20-40 moa rail and a 44 moa spur should work nicely

Reactions: Rob01 and Trent A
+1 on the zeiss 4-25 s3

just make sure you get enough taper on your rail to make use of that extra elevation.

a good 20-40 moa rail and a 44 moa spur should work nicely

I'd get a 60 MOA with that scope. Should leave you with around 40 mils of elevation when zeroed.

Reactions: Trent A and Sigma
I have a 50 MOA rail, plus 20 MOA in the mount, and with my ZCO 527, get just enough to not hold at 500, and can still zero at 50. The 527 had 35mil of elevation.

Make sure you do your math........

Reactions: Trent A and Sigma
70 moa is about 20 mils. A scope with 35 mils total elevation and about 20 mils of cant shouldn't work so the ZCO must have more elevation than the 35 mils.