• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes scope wrap?

jinxx4ever

Just Cruising
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 26, 2013
    Nebraska
    i tried to do a search on this subject in the search box, but couldn't come up with anything. I'm sure it's been discussed on here but anyway... is it advisable if u wrap a scope, to have the wrap under the scope rings? what is a good wrap? Should u back off on the torque? The reason i ask, is i recently removed a Kahles that was factory colored FDE that was mounted in a spuhr mount and the scope ring marks were clearly visable. Doesn't bother me, but it does hurt resale value. I've never wrapped a scope before so was wanting some info. Thanks

• Haha
    Reactions: deersniper
    just to help you get answers, are you talking about a coating like cerakote or a tape wrap? (see below)

1550072851798.png

I don't and I wouldn't put scope wrap between rings and tube.

For one thing, this messes with the clearances between the two. It is also likely to result in scope slippage under recoil.

I think that ring marks on scope tubes result largely from ring misalignment and ring cap overtorque. I use rings which distribute the compression force over a greater area and keep the cap torque down to a more reasonable level.

I have settled on Vortex six-screw Tactical 30mm rings as a basic standard ring.

Greg

i tried to do a search on this subject in the search box, but couldn't come up with anything. I'm sure it's been discussed on here but anyway... is it advisable if u wrap a scope, to have the wrap under the scope rings? what is a good wrap? Should u back off on the torque? The reason i ask, is i recently removed a Kahles that was factory colored FDE that was mounted in a spuhr mount and the scope ring marks were clearly visable. Doesn't bother me, but it does hurt resale value. I've never wrapped a scope before so was wanting some info. Thanks
    Use Burris XTR signature rings. The inserts allow you do add moa and also will not mark up a scope.

Yep, self-adhering medical tape in the color you like. Don’t do the tube under the rings. Mount scope first, then wrap.

Do NOT be one of those that use skateboard tape. That stuff will tear your hands up.

last i used was sports tape (hockey/lacross stuff) and then sprayed it with krylon.
    peel it off and change colors etc.
    went hunting in canada, taped up scope and sprayed it white with some gray stripes.
    got home and peeled it off

Reactions: Krazy_jim
    thanks for the help, i said rings, but it was a one piece mount. thus why i was surprised by the marks. my mistake, but glad for the responses and ur help

I wrap all of mine with easily available self stick med wrap from amazon, every color and camo pattern imaginable is there.

on another site, several said they coat the parts with rubber cement before mounting scope. They say it works very well and just peels off when u remove the scope.

we call that vet wrap , use it on horses legs to wrap wounds a lot

Technical name is “Coban”. Used in the medical field by doctors and vets. One of the makers of camo tape shown above is McNett and available from Amazon, Cabelas, etc.

If you are talking about the rings, and how they have a tendancy to leave marks, just lap your rings before you put a scope in them. Not only will that solve the marks, but you’ll improve your accuracy, too.
    I have yet to see a pair of rings that lapping didnt improve...but i will admit, i use the same kind of rings as i do on my hunting rifles. Every one of them gets lapped, though.

Reactions: dogface
    Some good food for thought here. I guess it all depends on not only the look you want to achieve but also how much you want to spend and how much time you want to put into it. The option of taping it and painting over it is always a good one if you don't want to paint directly on your scope. Another option would be to go with a vinyl wrap like one sold at GunSkins. They have many different options in design.

Google self adhesive bandages or self adhesive sports tape. Amazon has a ton to choose form too.

And why exactly are we wrapping tape around scopes to begin with?

(Aside from wanting to paint it for a specific location, KINDA get that)

I had just been thinking about this the other day, want to keep the ZCO from getting too scratched up. Thanks for the revival so i can be lazy and not search for it(y)

I'm not sure in what context he's referring to but I've used skateboard tape on scopes before, specifically a Burris TAC30. The whole ocular rotates when changing magnification and it was stiff as shit but I was being cheap so I didn't get a throw lever, I just put on some skateboard tape that I had to give me some extra traction. It worked for the time that I had the optic.

IMG_5272.JPG

Reactions: deersniper
    So I asked my wonderful fiancé to hit up the pet store for black vet wrap as I have a match coming up this weekend and she was already out and about. Jokingly I said pink would work. I got neither but I did get these... 🤦🏻‍♂️
    A494837E-4CC0-4F52-88D1-0BA39C9D8B5E.jpeg

If you are talking about the rings, and how they have a tendancy to leave marks, just lap your rings before you put a scope in them. Not only will that solve the marks, but you’ll improve your accuracy, too.
    I have yet to see a pair of rings that lapping didnt improve...but i will admit, i use the same kind of rings as i do on my hunting rifles. Every one of them gets lapped, though.

What kind of rings are you using? I've seen rings ruined by lapping, but if you saw accuracy improvement it was either mental (confidence boosting is real) or you had slippage issues. I've used $12 Leupold rifleman rings on the kids .22's and didn't need to lap, not sure you can find cheaper.

Buy quality rings, don't ruin the tolerances with lapping, use a quality torque tool, and enjoy.

Reactions: stewbud and Bcamos
    What kind of rings are you using? I've seen rings ruined by lapping, but if you saw accuracy improvement it was either mental (confidence boosting is real) or you had slippage issues. I've used $12 Leupold rifleman rings on the kids .22's and didn't need to lap, not sure you can find cheaper.

Buy quality rings, don't ruin the tolerances with lapping, use a quality torque tool, and enjoy.

you can definately ruin rings by overdoing it. and i can assure you, the improvement isnt in my head. the tolerances blow dick in most rings; thus the need for lapping. beyond what i’ve said, i’m not going to argue the point. the cheaper rings benefit by lapping.

and i never said a thing about lapping spuhrs.

Last edited: