• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338L566

Private
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2020
I got Bashed about Monstrum scopes, just for asking if anyone had one, That Question opened up a can of worms, I can see you guys use top of the line scopes and I agree with that, what scopes from say Vortex, SWFA, For under say $600 dollars woud ya recomend, my budjet is really tight right now. Dint mean to rant but some guys treated me like a dumm ass. I would love to top my rifle with a Night Force but that is out for now. I am looking for FFP only.

another option they are cheap in price but just got mine and the glass is pretty nice not my preferred mag ranges but they seem nice so far .
https://arkenopticsusa.com/Optics-c34409672
or you could find that guy here that sells scopes from camera land or a used one in the px also swamp fox , Riton , crimson trace
good luck what ever you get and may it do you well . PS don't let others get you mad they rag on my ior all the time but whether they dislike them for a reason or not It still works and I love it more and more each time I use it . I paid for It and I more than happy with mine and as long as your happy with your choices that's all that matters .

Last edited:
Whatever you get, make sure it’s a company that has a good warranty. On cheap scopes, I would go with Vortex or Athlon.

Reactions: Pvt.Donut
another option they are cheap in price but just got mine and the glass is pretty nice not my preferred mag ranges but they seem nice so far .
https://arkenopticsusa.com/Optics-c34409672
or you could find that guy here that sells scopes from camera land or a used one in the px also swamp fox , Riton , crimson trace
good luck what ever you get and may it do you well . PS don't let others get you mad they rag on my ior all the time but whether they dislike them for a reason or not It still works and I love it more and more each time I use it . I paid for It and I more than happy with mine and as long as your happy with your choices that's all that matters .
I checked out the turrets on an Arken yesterday. Very distinct, crisp and loud clicks on mil scope. Didn't look through the glass unfortunately. The owner said the glass was very good though, fwiw.
Here's a good write up:

500 bucks? Athlon Midas tac would be my choice.

Really just stick to a name brand and you’ll be fine. And if, by chance, it isn’t you don’t have to worry about them taking care of you: Athlon, bushnell, vortex etc.

Probably find a used Vortex Strike eagle 5x25 for right around or a hair under $600. If you can spare a little more, you can get one new from dsg arms right now for about $660 shipped.

Reactions: Rob01
Yup and if you are le/mil/first responder you can get a Strike Eagle for under $500.

Reactions: Mk12
Buy a fixed swfa and spend more time shooting and less time worrying about bullshit that doesn’t matter

2. Posting an item for sale in any other area but the "For Sale Section" will immediately get the post removed and the User Banned for as long as 30 days or longer without Warning. Sniper's Hide considers these rules as written your initial warning.

Also, sorry you got beat up. There’s good folks round here but some forget where they started out from.

2. Posting an item for sale in any other area but the "For Sale Section" will immediately get the post removed and the User Banned for as long as 30 days or longer without Warning. Sniper's Hide considers these rules as written your initial warning.

No problem. Shoot him a PM.

YOUR NOT DUMM YOU GOTTA SAVE PENNIES FOR GAS. SIMMONS WHITETAIL CLASSIC FTW. PHUK BREAKS AND PHUK QUIGLY FUDD.

• Haha
Reactions: Bender
YOUR NOT DUMM YOU GOTTA SAVE PENNIES FOR GAS. SIMMONS WHITETAIL CLASSIC FTW. PHUK BREAKS AND PHUK QUIGLY FUDD.
But with a Quigley Ford I can save a few hundred dollars from not buying a Kestrel with AB and buy a whole 10 boxes of 338lm right? ;)

Just wish i could bench press enough weight to qualify to purchase a Quigley Ford.

Last edited:
Lawd hep' me, I hope people know I'm joking. Something tells me that I perhaps did a too good of an imitation…

Reactions: jtackmann
Buy a fixed swfa and spend more time shooting and less time worrying about bullshit that doesn’t matter

This ^^^

I got one a few years ago to learn long distance shooting and ranging with the reticle, and because every gun channel on YouTube seems to recommend it. :)

To the OP, I'm not sure what your goal is, but i see that you want FFP, and assume that you want to use the reticle for ranging.

The SWFA glass is very good (but at 10x, most scopes will look pretty good). The turrets feel mushy, but are pin-point accurate and repeatable. I got the traditional mil-dot reticle, and wish I'd gotten the "mil-hash" reticle, since it is easier to range with.

I later "upgraded" to a Vortex PST gen 1 6-24x50, on clearance at EuroOptic for $500.
It's pretty good, but not great. I like the EBR-2C "Christmas tree" style reticle, since it allows holdovers and accurate wind holds at varying distances without touching the turrets. The turrets are fantastic, with nice clicks.
The glass is just "OK", and is a lesson why you shouldn't be "greedy" with magnification in a budget scope. The reticle has markings to the tenth of a mil, which is important for accurately ranging targets at long distances, but when you zoom past about 16x or 18x to get a closer look at the target to determine if it is, say, 1.2 mils wide, 1.3 mils, or 1.25 mils - which makes a big difference at close to 1000 yards (like, give or take 100 yards!) - the image quality degrades so much that you can't really tell where the edge of the target is. And the reticle lines are so thick, they obscure the edge of the target at higher magnification anyway. If you zoom back down to 10x or 12x, the image quality is good, but you can't make out the .10 mil reticle marks, let alone being able to estimate .05 mil differences.

I've looked through plenty of other scopes, and while some expensive glass is definitely brighter, few scopes below $2,000 seem to offer useful "Christmas-tree" FFP milling reticles.

With hindsight, I'd recommend sticking with a 10x SWFA at $300, or skipping everything in between and getting a $2,500 Vortex Razor or Nighforce or something of that ilk.

For under $800, Vortex for sure. Decent glass and warranty incase something happens