• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Scout Sniper Requirments

[email protected]

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2012
Rochester, NY
I'm not sure under which thread to post this under, but i have some questions about becoming a sniper. I plan to join the Marine and become a Scout Sniper. what i dont know, is what requirments are there to become one? do you need to obtain a certain rank or certain time of serving? Please help it has been my dream since I was 10. Another thing I was wondering is what skills would be needed? I practice shooting often and hunt but am not sure what other skills I may need to practice before entering. Thank you in advance

Re: Scout Sniper Requirments

We had the scout sniper platoon sgt asking around our rifle platoons if anyone was interested. I ended up not biting on that because I didn't feel like going back to SOI at the time. I think he wanted to see minimum of a high expert rifle qual and a high 1st class pft. I would tell you not to practice to much of anything, they'll teach you what you need to know and how to do it.

. . . then again, a recruiter would probably know better than me, haha.

Get yourself enlisted and through boot camp first. Then get yourself through SOI as any 03xx. Get out in the fleet and be the most bad ass infantryman you can be. Pt your ass off, study and ask questions, be strong at land nav, understanding supporting arms, calling for fire and all that shit that makes you a great infantryman. S/S are highly refined infantryman.....get it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch engage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get yourself enlisted and through boot camp first. Then get yourself through SOI as any 03xx. Get out in the fleet and be the most bad ass infantryman you can be. Pt your ass off, study and ask questions, be strong at land nav, understanding supporting arms, calling for fire and all that shit that makes you a great infantryman. S/S are highly refined infantryman.....get it? </div></div>

Then there is always that pesky selection process.

Not sure if there is any truth to this. Nephew is going through MARSOC and tells me that S/S would come after that if he was selected for it. MARSOC also has a selection process that all applicants have to go through to even be considered for MARSOC. S/S, to my understanding, is the same way.

Telling a recruiter this is what you want to do while in the service is one thing, getting there is a whole other deal. You must first make it through the selection process, regardless of what a recruiter tells you.

Start running. Run run run and then run some more. It would be better if you could run all day rather than bench 300 lbs if you catch my drift. Endurance is key. You can try running with a pack a couple times but don't get caught up in it. It's more of a mental thing than actually physically conditioning unless you want to be broken before you get to boot camp. You need to be a decent to good swimmer. All indocs I know of had a swimming requirement. Big thing I recommend is to not get too caught up in the details. Go out for it and if you have the mind for it, you'll fit right in. Good luck, the corps always needs good snipers.

Thanks for all the ideas and help, what i dont get is some people are saying you must be selected and others say tell your officer. which is it do you need to be picked even to get into sniper school?

to be honest becuase i have been there and done that , i would suggest you not worry about being a scout sniper just join the corps and get into the 0311 field and focus on being the best at everything , when they teachj you land nav dont worry about anything else be the best at land nav and when they teach you fire support be the best at fire support...... dont worry about being good at what you want to do in the future be the best at what they are teaching you at that moment and eventually when a slot opens for scout sniper school it will be a no brainer who your command sends to fit the quota, then worry about being the best scout sniper.

It changes based on sniper needs and slots your battalion can secure. In other words, there is no concrete answer to your question.

Scout sniper or any job in the military is an occupation. You must first learn to be a Marine. If I remember your other posts you are 14. In your area there should be a chapter of the Young Marines.
http://www.westernnewyorkyoungmarines.com/

Hook up with these folks and you will/should learn the important aspects of being a Marine. Honor, Courage, & Commitment and working as part of a team. If you like what they have to offer, then you will be far ahead of the curve come time to enlist.

If you desire to become a scout sniper, then work towards that goal. Remington makes the rifle, The Corps makes the Marine.

I know very little about SS and any Military Branch to be honest, except I work around them daily, being employed by DOD. However I went to NCSHP Basic School, and asked ? after?'s. Truth is everything I was told didn't even come close to preparing me for what they had in store for me. I do know that our Basic was 7 months, of pure HELL. When the people on here tell you to run... RUN and when your tired RUN MORE. I was bunked with 2 Marine guys, one 4year, and one 6 year, then me and another joe. The 4 yr Marine dropped out 1st day, and I can see why. Being a Sgt I believe is what he said, and then having these Drill Sgts. scream at him every second would suck. I had heard all the rumors about having to weigh a certain weight, so I went from 150lbs, to 205 in a year before I even signed up, and he told me to drop weight because my weight didn't match my height of 5'8", so during the process of all the background I dropped to 170lbs, and by the time I got out I was 15o again, but I could run for days, at least until my ACL popped in my knee. In other words no matter what people tell you, it will not prepare you for what your gonna go through, except RUN! I think Trooper pay now is $57k yrly, but that's after 7 years. And remember, no matter how much you know it's wrong. Trooper/Marine way and the wrong way. They will teach you everything you need to know, and just being in shape won't get you there either. Some of the least suspected people I would have guessed, are now on SEAL Teams. They regularly visit where I work, and are great guys, and one of them are my best friends, never was an athlete, weight lifter, or anything physical, but was a Genius in school, which he went to College for Business Admin, and now a member of a SEAL Team. A lot more Mental than Physical, and they will mentally break you as well as physical. But I'm a Parent of 4 kids, and I always tell them they can be anything they set their mind to, if they want it bad enough, and so can you. DIG

just be a marine. every one i ever met was a scout sniper

Your first problem is that when you join you are not guaranteed a job as infantryman until later on they will tell you what your job is going to be. 2nd problem only infantry are chosen to be scout snipers. The Army is the only service right now that lets you choose your job prior to you signing up minus some specialty skilled jobs in other services. It basically comes down to what service has the largest budget and currently the Army has the leverage to offer more due to more money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wspe1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your first problem is that when you join you are not guaranteed a job as infantryman until later on they will tell you what your job is going to be. 2nd problem only infantry are chosen to be scout snipers. The Army is the only service right now that lets you choose your job prior to you signing up minus some specialty skilled jobs in other services. It basically comes down to what service has the largest budget and currently the Army has the leverage to offer more due to more money. </div></div>

Since when are they not letting you go contract infantry? When I signed on in 2006 I went 03 open, then later on at SOI we broke up into 0311, 0331, 0341 and 0351 groups.

Food for thought,

Your Username includes "Sniper", and your tag line is "One Shot, One Kill", do you think that it is OK for you to associate yourself with those hard earned titles?

You want to serve in a position that is well above and beyond an entry level position, but you have yet to even qualify for that entry level position.

Not trying to be a jerk, but most people who get the cart before the horse, don't make it too far!

Per many comments above,
If you want to be a Marine more power to you, but there are no guarantees. Remember, you serve the Corps, it does not exist to serve you. Other branches can give you an upfront contract that will guarantee you a MOS / Career Field that will have the best chance of getting you into a sniper slot. But with every Military Branch, there is NO guarantee from the start that you will ever be given the chance to become a sniper.

In a "respectable agency", Military or LE, no one enters the door and goes straight to a sniper slot. You must prove yourself, in many cases for years, as being the best soldier or LE officer possible before you get that chance.

Nothing wrong with aspirations or long term goals, but you had better be able to perform 110% on the entry level functions before you ever start worrying about something that is levels above where you are at.

IMHO, if you are going to go the military route, worry about being the best possible soldier that you can, then after you have 2-3 years under your belt, you can prepare for what is going to come next.

As someone who has been there and done that, Military Service can be a great thing, but rarely will you have access to the opportunities that you want, unless you are completely 110% kicking @$$ and taking names at whatever you are currently doing.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captrichardson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Food for thought,

Your Username includes "Sniper", and your tag line is "One Shot, One Kill", do you think that it is OK for you to associate yourself with those hard earned titles?

You want to serve in a position that is well above and beyond an entry level position, but you have yet to even qualify for that entry level position.

Not trying to be a jerk, but most people who get the cart before the horse, don't make it too farcoming from... This is the internet and are made up usernames. Per many comments above,
If you want to be a Marine more power to you, but there are no guarantees. Remember, you serve the Corps, it does not exist to serve you. Other branches can give you an upfront contract that will guarantee you a MOS / Career Field that will have the best chance of getting you into a sniper slot. But with every Military Branch, there is NO guarantee from the start that you will ever be given the chance to become a sniper.

In a "respectable agency", Military or LE, no one enters the door and goes straight to a sniper slot. You must prove yourself, in many cases for years, as being the best soldier or LE officer possible before you get that chance.

Nothing wrong with aspirations or long term goals, but you had better be able to perform 110% on the entry level functions before you ever start worrying about something that is levels above where you are at.

IMHO, if you are going to go the military route, worry about being the best possible soldier that you can, then after you have 2-3 years under your belt, you can prepare for what is going to come next.

As someone who has been there and done that, Military Service can be a great thing, but rarely will you have access to the opportunities that you want, unless you are completely 110% kicking @$$ and taking names at whatever you are currently doing.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson </div></div>

No offense man but this is the internet and everyone makes up different usernames. It doesnt matter if it is a occupation, love, intrest , dream, or you name it, everyone has the right to pick which ever one the so chose. Maybe he is not a sniper, maybe your not capt richardson? How do we know. Look around on any forum there are alot of dumb names, it does not mean a damn thing.. Tool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smsnipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captrichardson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Food for thought,

Not trying to be a jerk, but most people who get the cart before the horse, don't make it too farcoming from... This is the internet and are made up usernames. Per many comments above,

Best of Luck,
M Richardson </div></div>

No offense man but this is the internet and everyone makes up different usernames. It doesnt matter if it is a occupation, love, intrest , dream, or you name it, everyone has the right to pick which ever one the so chose. Maybe he is not a sniper, maybe your not capt richardson? How do we know. Look around on any forum there are alot of dumb names, it does not mean a damn thing.. Tool.</div></div>

You sir, are the tool...

Ch

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eod1286</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> just be a marine. every one i ever met was a scout sniper</div></div>
LMAO! ...funny how that happens, huh?
smile.gif

A little more food for thought, based on 26 years between the Military and Public Safety,

Seen many careers never get off the ground, and seen many careers go down in flames, based on what someone posted on the internet, whether it was an online forum like this or my favorite Facebook.

Yes it is the Internet, and yes there are plenty of paintball, airsoft, video, and internet commandos who refer to themselves by all kinds of high speed low drag titles.

Key is, when you get into the Military or Public Safety, you can be held accountable for what you have posted on the internet, be it on a formal or informal level.

On a formal level, let you Plt Sgt or CO find out that are on the internet posting with the username "Sniper", and see how that works out for you. On an informal level, let your cohorts find out that your signature line is "One Shot, One Kill".

You want to "play on the internet", have at it, it is a free country, do whatever you like. However when you want to enter Military Service or Public Safety, and aspire to hold a top level position, then be prepared to defend anything that you have ever spoken, written, or posted on the internet. Ask anyone who has had to go through a background check for a TS Clearance just how much they will check, and how much they can find out!

Once again, I am not trying to discourage anyone from doing anything, but it is best to learn very early in life, that there are consequnces for everything you do, whether you realize them or not.

Generally speaking, those who have gone through the blood, sweet, and tears to earn a position / title, don't always take real kindly to those who use that postion / title without having earned it.

Finally,
I use "CaptRichardson", because it is my current rank/position, and so there is no doubt who I am. I am not hiding behind some cool madeup name. Also along those lines, if anyone feels the need to verify my Military or Public Safety credentials, feel free to email me, I will be happy to send you a copy of my DD214 or any particular training certificate that you would like to see!

Lastly,
My apologies for the sidetrack, but hopefully the OP is going to get something out of it!

Best of Luck,
M Ricardson

based on my experiences, your best bet is to first, become a Marine. enlist as an 03 anything. as long as its infantry. then from there you'll be advised that there are slots open for an indoc. indocs are hard. dont expect to "NOT" be broken off when its all over. the indoc i did was 3 days long with no sleep and only 2 mre's. you're constantly running everywhere, usually with gear on. once you get into a S/S platoon, you're not guaranteed a slot to sniper school. some guys spend years in the platoon as PIGS and never get a chance at the school. so in the meantime, get into shape, join the Young Marines, and when you enlist do your best to smoke check everything you learn and do. be better than everyone else. S/S platoon doesnt want shit bags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SS-8541-dono</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to be honest becuase i have been there and done that , i would suggest you not worry about being a scout sniper just join the corps and get into the 0311 field and focus on being the best at everything , when they teachj you land nav dont worry about anything else be the best at land nav and when they teach you fire support be the best at fire support...... dont worry about being good at what you want to do in the future be the best at what they are teaching you at that moment and eventually when a slot opens for scout sniper school it will be a no brainer who your command sends to fit the quota, then worry about being the best scout sniper. </div></div>

This the best advice here...

Focus on the 25 meter target. You'll never be allowed to SS school if you don't make through Boot Camp, SOI, and then are one of the best Marines in your Unit.

I was never a Marine but in the Army, if a slot became available for a badass school then you better be a star at your Unit to be allowed to go. The last thing they want is to send a Soldier/Marine to a badass school only to have him fall on his face.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eod1286</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> just be a marine. every one i ever met was a scout sniper </div></div>

Hahaha, funniest thing I read all day, and I went through the entire "Funny Thread".

run,run,run, do lots of push ups and sit ups, practice shooting an AR open sights standind, sitting and prone.
once in bootcamp shoot the best damn score possible and then don't be a dumbass Marine, there enough of those in already. Volunteer for stuff and distinguish yourself from the rest.
good luck.
This is advice from a 2/7 SSP ex Marine friend of mine almost verbatim, I cleaned it up a bit.

first go to bootcamp. better off if your primary MOS at enlistment is infantry as well. once you get there you need to have a high PFT score and a typically they are looking for a expert marksman as well.

be good at your job. if your a shitbag at your primary MOS then you will not be recommended to take the endoc no matter how bad you want it.

show interest in becoming a member of the scout sniper platoon and ask questions. if your unit is about to deploy they may hold an endoc at some point before in order to get more guys to hold security (being new in the platoon your main job will be security).

once you get into a platoon after passing the endoc pay attention. learn as much as you can and show your willing to take the crappiest jobs and can handle the toughest. after a deployment it is common to have guys they don't see potential in to be sent back to the companies/platoons they came from (its very common lately for them to just get guys in that can keep up physically into the platoon to use as security).

remember you ant be a sniper until you pass sniper school. of course that doesn't stop all the boot ass PFCs that pass the little endoc from getting a big head. always funny to watch them get sent back to the companies after a deployment with crushed dreams and 0 experience in their MOS

which brings up another good point. if you don't have any experience in your MOS then you won't be very useful to the sniper community typically. they will have to train you how to do everything from working a radio to call for fire. they would like you to know how to do a lot of that basic stuff already (yes using a radio and calling for fire is pretty basic)

last but not least after passing the endoc they have a screening where they ask you questions about why you want to be in the platoon and so on. they even ask general knowledge questions as well (they did when i went through the process). when and if they ask "why do you want to be in the scout sniper platoon" don't say "because gunny told me i had to take the endoc". they only want people who want to be there and from what it sounds like you actually want to. personally i enjoyed being an FO and did not want to waste my time holding security for someone else.

i wish you luck

you'll need it