• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Screaming Eagles - Old Abe

kraigWY

CMP GSM MI
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2006
Wyoming
Having been a member of the 101st Abn Div in Vietnam (when it was still airbonre) I've always considered it "MY UNIT"

At a pistol match yesterday I met a retired army guy who, after finding out I was with the 101s told me this story of where the Eagle, and the name "Screaming Eagle" came from.

Apparently during the Civil War, a member of the Wisc. NG's Iron Bde. bought an trained eagle from an indian. (that part is Iffy)

The eagle, Old Abe, would set on top of the guidon when they marched. It went with them to battles in the Civil War. When marching, it would set on the guidon. During the fight, he would fly over the battle field screaming.

Southerners hated the bird and tried, but failed to kill it. They called it the Yankee's Screaming Buzzard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Abe

Someone else told me Old Abe is at the Ft Cambell musuem.

Re: Screaming Eagles - Old Abe

You were supposed to learn that stuff when you were with the unit.
Just kidding. You got the info correct. Old Abe in indeed at the Pratt museum. there is a living eagle who comes to the Division functions.
This year is a huge open house at Campbell, including mass jumps, and an Air Show. August 10-17, week of the Eagles. There will be an open house at each of the units, including static displays of weapons and equipment. Division run, division pass in review (20,000 troopers), free concerts, cage fights,
This is a wonderful opportunity to meet the young guys who are doing your job now. Especially since many of the men in your old unit are 3 time combat veterans by now. In fact the Rakasans have just been given their next combat assignment and leave in august right after Week of the Eagles.
Best lodging is outside of Gate 7, in Oak Grove. Book now as rooms are getting scarce.
Be there or be leg. (I know it doesn't rhyme).
PS: Welcome Home Brother.

Well, all of us in The Cav just called it the "Puking Buzzard".

(Just kidding, guys, and you know it)

OK, I know, . . . "the horse they never rode, the road they never crossed, and the color stands for itself"

Just thought I'd beat ya to it.

I had to memorize this stuff for the soldier boards, Month, Year, all that. That and the Division Song.