• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sear Engagement, or lack of.... Bighorn SR3 LA and Impact 737 SA

DIBBS

Old Mountain Man-Tired occasionally Grumpy SOB
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 21, 2008
    WARSHington State
    On both rifles, the firing pin recently started not engaging /catching the sear, if you work the bolt quickly on close, but will hold the firing pin back hold on a slow bolt close. In the past it was diagnosed as loose action screws on the impact (manners stock) that caused the problem
    The Bighorn sits in a KRG Bravo and the problem just arose with the trigger/firing pin on the Bighorn.

I am going to pull both actions out of the stocks and check the screws on the trigger hanger on the impact (trigger tech trigger) and look at the Bighorn LA 700 Rem trigger

Any other things you would suggest that I check to resolve my sear engagement issues?

TIA

Update: Impact trigger issue resolved... trigger hanger screws need a dab of locktite....

still fiddling with the bighorn

Last edited:
    You didn’t say which trigger you were using? You can likely fix the SR3 by cleaning and/or adjusting the trigger.

Trigger techs never catch the sear when worked fast for me on several different actions. It gets better when you make the pull weight heavier.

I like the bix because I can fit the sear height to match the actions firing pin distance and then control the amount of engagement of that sear.

It's Old Remington Trigger out of a VSSF in the SR3, but I may swap it out with something else if I can't get it working consistently. I'll flush it with lighter fluid too, but seems to be working out of the stock ok. I have been shooting it a fair amount and the problem just popped up out of nowhere.

I'll also try increasing the weight on the TT also, but the front screw was backed out a little on the hanger.

Thanks.

Trigger techs never catch the sear when worked fast for me on several different actions. It gets better when you make the pull weight heavier.

I like the bix because I can fit the sear height to match the actions firing pin distance and then control the amount of engagement of that sear.
    On some rifles the cocking piece slams into the trigger sear before the bolt makes contact with the primary extraction cam stoping the forward movement of the cocking piece. Remington 700's are notorious for this. The trigger gets literally hit with a hammer and at
    light pull weights the trigger just drops the sear.