• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Seeking experianced thoughts/opinions on bottom metal for new build.

Mouse

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2007
I’m in the process of my first “Real” rifle build and I have pretty much everything figured out with one exception, I’m not sure what bottom metal/magazines to use.
Here’s what I have so far;

Stiller Tac300 action w/20min mount
Mike Rock 5R 1-10 barrel
H-S Precision PST013 Stock
Timney Calvin Elite adjustable trigger
Atlas bi-pod

This rifle is going to be .300 Win Mag and I have all of the above in hand and ready and I’m going to top it with a Nightforce scope, A.J. Brown is going to handle the assembly/build.

I think everything is pretty much in order with the exception of the bottom metal, I looked at the H-S Precision offering and the mags seem a bit cheesy to me.
I’d like to know the thoughts from the more experienced here, I’m not sure what’s available and what other options I should be considering.

Your input is appreciated!

Last edited:
You should have quite a few to choose from with a 700 pattern action. Badger, CDI, Seekins, and Surgeon all use Accuracy International magazines which are the standard by which all others are compared. I have no personal experience with these but do use AI magazines and they are excellent. I am sure someone will be along shortly to make a recomendation.

One word of caution, dont be temped to buy the cheaper versions of the mags. Get the real AI mags. The very little you will save in money will not even come close to the headaches they create.

Surgeon Bottom Metal is great! There are many others that work just fine too, e.g., Badger, Seekins, PT&G, CDI Precision, APA. What they all have in common is that they use AI mags. Accurate mags, which are similar, work fine as well. I avoid Alpha mags (feeding/reliability issues, poor CS), but they fit the AI pattern as well.

You don't want to use HS Precision mags.