• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Seeking some advise

LSandBinc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2004
Westmoreland County, Pa.
Bought a stock off of a stock maker in Texas, I'm in Pennsylvania. When the stock got here the barreled action would not fit properly, the barrel held the action in mid air, in the beginning his sales speech was that the stock would take a barrel up to 1 1/4", my barrel measures 1.20". After a few emails with the stock maker he said send the stock back and I'll refund all your money. The stock was for a Rem. long action. In one of his emails he told me he checked it with a Rem. short action and it was all good. Well now he gets the stock and sends me an email telling me I ordered the wrong stock and he'll only refund 50% of my money. My question is what would you do and what leg do I have to stand on for the return of my cash? Thanks for any and all responses.

If things turn ugly I will give up the stock makers name but I'm going to give him another week to do the right thing.

BTW this has been going on for almost a month now.

Did you order the right stock or not? That detail kind of matters. But after seeing many a thread start like this, in the end I bet you're better off keeping it between you and him. Work it out like grownups - figure out where the communication went wrong, and if he truly, absolutely is being unethical, write it off and move on. It's not that much money in the grand scheme of things and you won't get anything from someone like that anyhow. But that is so rarely the case that I'm betting someone misinterpreted something somewhere. And use a phone, not email, for communications like this - email does a lot of damage because of what one guy reads that the other swears he didn't write.

Yes I ordered the correct stock. I see what you mean about everyone reading what's written different. As for phone calls he answered the first few then as in 34 actual calls, all written down and on my cell phone, will not answer any more.

Last edited:
I'd try to get in touch with the guy and let him know you just want a stock and to make things fair for everyone. People clam up when they feel like they're being blamed, set up, or wronged somehow. Not saying you did that, but entirely possible he perceives that as the case. If you can somehow reset that expectation, things may go more smoothly. In the end he wants to sell a stock and you want to buy one. There's got to be a middle ground there.

If you used a credit card, a charge back is a last resort. It's a pretty painless process for the customer, but if a merchant racks up too many, they can get dropped by their bank - so do so with care.

The problem with the stock is the barrel channel. If you put the barreled action in the stock the action floats in mid air. He says just tighten down the screws and the barrel will free float but that puts the action in a bind or twist, which makes the bolt hard to work. I don't think the stock should have been sent out in the beginning. As I stated above he says he checked it with a short action before he sent it out, well that don't even make sense, why would you check a long action stock with a short action? His emails are all conflicting each other which tells me he's lying so as to not have to return my money. I'm not trying to get over on the man I just want treated fairly, as the quality of his work is not what he advertised.

Yes I ordered the correct stock. I see what you mean about everyone reading what's written different. As for phone calls he answered the first few then as in 34 actual calls, all written down and on my cell phone, will not answer any more.

What part of Tx is he in? If he's close, I'll pay him a visit.

as someone said earlier in the post. If the merchant is unwilling to make good on the advertised work or refund then simply put in a chargeback with your CC company and move on.

Which one did you pay with? If paypal file a dispute.

Chip

That's close enough. I may be going to Seguin in the next week or so. PM me if you like.
This is what makes the hide so awesome, someone is always willing to lend a hand.
Good luck with a peaceful resolution, hopefully it was an honest mistake somewhere along the line.

My buddy and I called and talked to his local Police Chief. I guess the chief went and had a talk with him and our money is on the way, I'll believe it when it gets here but at least the chief has something on record if he doesn't send the money or the check bounces.