• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Self Build LaRue OBR, how would you do it?

tburde_cpec

Private
Minuteman
May 11, 2013
Michigan is home.
Ok guys, here is the skinny. I use a LaRue OBR at work sometimes and I have grown to love it. I want to build my own version of this same gun for two reasons: #1 cost and #2 self building allows for more customization. If any of you guys are like me, you could rattle off any combinations of uppers, lowers, barrels, grips, optics etc.--for any variety of circumstances. If you were going to try to build your own version of an OBR, what would it look like? Where are the areas you think you can buy a little bit more economical parts?

Here is a link:
16 Inch LaRue Tactical OBR (Optimized Battle Rifle) Complete 7.62 Rifle | LaRue Tactical

The obr uses a prorietary upper, and lower.

Basically you could buold your self a mega 308 off a monlithic systym, with a lothar walther barrel.

The Mega MKM would be my choice. A number of good barrels out there. Probably a Rainer Ultra Match. Not that other components should be skimped on, but start with an upper/lower like that, a really good barrel properly installed and a Geissele SSA or SSA-E and it's hard to go wrong.

+1 on the Mega Maten. I have a Lilja barrel in mine and it shoots around .7 moa (with a better shooter it seems like it would be capable of more). Plus I didn't have to wait for the Lilja (20" 1:11) and had it in 5 days.

The upper and barrel release is the only proprietary part on the LaRue for their upper. You could run an LMT MWS upper or Armalite A model or SR-25 upper on the LaRue lower. Also the BCG is just an armalite style in hard chrome. As for building gun , I would get an MWS and swap barrels and call it a day. I have MA-Ten and just like all AR's in 308, it is only as good as its guts. So the barrel , trigger , bcg are the only things that matter to get a good shooter. I will say the fit and finish is very nice on them. I also built a MATEN for a friend with LaRue PredOBR guts and it shoots the same my other friends PreObr.

The obr uses a prorietary upper, and lower.

Basically you could buold your self a mega 308 off a monlithic systym, with a lothar walther barrel.

Last edited:
I actually have a buddy getting rid of an LMT upper--so I was already leaning that way. As for the lower, I had been curious about others opinions in regard to MEGA products and I am glad to see so many of you seem to like them. If I can get ahold of the LaRue lower used, that is the way I'd like to go. Thanks for the opinions in general though.

The LMT has a better bolt and carrier (second gen) than the LaRue. Why is your friend just parting with the upper? Does he have an SR-25 top end for it?

I actually have a buddy getting rid of an LMT upper--so I was already leaning that way. As for the lower, I had been curious about others opinions in regard to MEGA products and I am glad to see so many of you seem to like them. If I can get ahold of the LaRue lower used, that is the way I'd like to go. Thanks for the opinions in general though.

No, he wants to get into .338 bolt guns...to the best of my knowledge he parted with the LMT lower in favor of some quick cash. I would guess the guy he sold it to had an upper waiting already, or he is doing what I am doing and building as he can afford it.

Definitely build off a Mega MKM set with a quality barrel. You wouldn't be giving up anything in quality. I've built using the previous monolithic Mega and now the MKM set. It's art, it really is.