• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sell me on a 300 WSM vs. 300 WM vs. 300 PRC for Hunting.

Quigley76

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2020
Hi Crew: This is my first post in this forum, though I have been reading Sniper's Hide posts for years now. Love the input so many of you share.

I am looking at purchasing my first 300. Already have other rifles in other calibers. The 300 will be primarily for hunting (to include elk or even grizzly bear) with some long-range capability but also brush capable, but would also like for long range plinking and shooting enjoyment. Not competitions. Ideally, I would like to run the 200 gr. ELD-X. Open to Approx 180-220 grain bullet. I don't want to run much lighter or heavier than this. I want to use the same bullet for hunting that I use for plinking. I want a factory rifle that will easily shoot factory ammo sub-MOA (my 6.5 CM has spoiled me). Not currently reloading, but may get into it in the future. Have family and friends heavy into reloading.

Curious your thoughts? My priorities:
1. Accuracy (but not enough that I am currently reloading). 1/2 - to just sub MOA is acceptable enough to me for this purpose.
2. Weight and length of rifle. Prefer lighter and shorter for hunting. 22-24" barrel ideal for my purposes.
3. Reliability (I do have some concerns over potential feeding issues of 300 WSM)
4. Factory Key-turn plug and chug. I am not interested in trying out 20 different boxes of ammo to finally get one that works well.
5. Bullet. As mentioned, 200 grain ELD-X +/- around 20 grains either direction would be what I hope works. Obviously, it may not pan out this way, may end up needing to go Nosler or something else. I DON'T want to be shooting any less than around 180 grain. Much over 220 grain is also likely excessive for my purposes.
6. I don't want to have to pay for after market gunsmithing, modifications of chamber, throat specs, etc.

I'm not concerned about ammo availability or losing my ammo on a hunting trip.

I know there isn't a perfect solution given the priorities I shared above. Given this, which of these three calibers would you pick? I am not interested in discussion of calibers outside of these three (6.5 PRC, other short mags, other 300's, 280's, etc.). Thanks! Look forward to hearing your input.

Please sell me on which of these three you think best fits the priorities I have shared above, and why.

Whichever one is offered in the rifle configuration you want. All three have plenty of ammo available and I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference for your uses.

Reactions: Quigley76
Whichever one is offered in the rifle configuration you want. All three have plenty of ammo available and I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference for your uses.

I really like the Sako S20! It has 1:11 twist though and is only offered in 300WM. Do you think it would still be able to easily run heavier factory ammo sub-MOA?

Am also looking at Christensen Arms but hear mixed reviews on their customer service and actual accuracy of their rifles.

Reactions: ReneM
I really like the Sako S20! It has 1:11 twist though and is only offered in 300WM. Do you think it would still be able to easily run heavier factory ammo sub-MOA?

Am also looking at Christensen Arms but hear mixed reviews on their customer service and actual accuracy of their rifles.
I returned a CA MPR 6.5 PRC because the folding stock had about 1mm play in it. They paid shipping and had it returned in 2 weeks with a new stock, Carbon barrel and bolt because they said it didn’t meet their accuracy standards. I didn’t ask for any of that they just took it upon their self to show good integrity. I was shooting sub MOA with factory ammo and hand loads. Barrel had about 500-600 rds through it. I realize this is anecdotal but it was my experience.

Attachments

• 34F82080-D74B-461E-9460-F9582BFE7380.jpeg
    34F82080-D74B-461E-9460-F9582BFE7380.jpeg
    854.4 KB · Views: 114

My requirements are different than yours, but I wouldn't own a .30 magnum with a 1:11 twist.

300 PRC. It is much better than the win mag, extra velocity helps everything. I have no experience with the WSM. Factory Hornady ammo is ridiculously accurate and pretty damn cheap for what you are getting. Don't go with a 1:11" twist, just setting yourself up for failure in the future. You need to check magazine overall length, some guns have such a short mag that long bullets won't fit or you can have trouble with feeding it is a huge issue that you don't want to fight. The Christensen guns have long mags and appropriate twist rates. Dad has a Ridgeline in 7RM, we have shot sub moa groups on rocks out to 1800 yards, I am sure it will go much further but we haven't had the chance yet. A friend of mine has the MPR in 300 PRC and it is a tack driver with handloads. I don't own any CA rifles but I really do like them.

300 PRC. It is much better than the win mag, extra velocity helps everything. I have no experience with the WSM. Factory Hornady ammo is ridiculously accurate and pretty damn cheap for what you are getting. Don't go with a 1:11" twist, just setting yourself up for failure in the future. You need to check magazine overall length, some guns have such a short mag that long bullets won't fit or you can have trouble with feeding it is a huge issue that you don't want to fight. The Christensen guns have long mags and appropriate twist rates. Dad has a Ridgeline in 7RM, we have shot sub moa groups on rocks out to 1800 yards, I am sure it will go much further but we haven't had the chance yet. A friend of mine has the MPR in 300 PRC and it is a tack driver with handloads. I don't own any CA rifles but I really do like them.

300 PRC looks great on paper and I hear wonderful things about it. Right now, the only two factory loads for it I’m aware of are from Hornady, one intended for hunting. You think the chance of this single hunter cartridge shooting well in (insert model) 300 PRC is good enough to be worth this risk?

Dont get hung up on the hunting/target bullet thing. My suggestion of 300wm and 215 berger is a "target" load.... Those 215's are some of the most deadly longer range bullets out there. We killed 4 elk with them last year. All 1 shot bang flops.
I think the 300prc is neat and I would own one but only if you hand load. The ones that ive been around have been "picky"

Dont get hung up on the hunting/target bullet thing. My suggestion of 300wm and 215 berger is a "target" load.... Those 215's are some of the most deadly longer range bullets out there. We killed 4 elk with them last year. All 1 shot bang flops.
I think the 300prc is neat and I would own one but only if you hand load. The ones that ive been around have been "picky"

Thnx for sharing your insights and experience. Do you recall which models the picky PRCs were?

Thnx for sharing your insights and experience. Do you recall which models the picky PRCs were?
They were all customs. They all eventually shot well but took some load work up. I don't think the prc is bad just depends what your after. The old 300wm is hard to beat imho. Yeah it's belted and not new and cool but they shoot and kill. The berger 215's are 3.600 COAL so they wont feed in every factory mag. They work in christensen. Most SAAMI spec rifles will shoot the berger factory very well as long as it feeds. Other ammo options as well in 300wm incase one doesn't shoot. Another option is get ammo from someone like unknownmunitions, coppercreek, etc. Ive seen LOTS of animals lose to the 300wm at 25-1200 yds. Maybe I'm a little biased as I own a few.... Haha but ive got hunting/shooting partners packing alot of other 30's . Nosler, Norma, rum, etc. So I'm not sheltered.

Reactions: XP1K and Quigley76
I’ve been eye balling the new Savage 110 ultralight in 300 wsm as my next hunting rifle. Weighs about 6lbs with a proof research barrel. Street price around $1125. Can’t speak of specifics as to wsm vs Wm vs prc but I’m sure 300wsm will do everything you need it to.

I’ve been eye balling the new Savage 110 ultralight in 300 wsm as my next hunting rifle. Weighs about 6lbs with a proof research barrel. Street price around $1125. Can’t speak of specifics as to wsm vs Wm vs prc but I’m sure 300wsm will do everything you need it to.

I looked at it too. The barrel, trigger and adjustable elements of the stock seem compelling. My biggest concern with Savages are their stocks. I’ve shot too many that don’t truly stay floated with much pressure on the front of the stock. They have got to make their stocks more rigid! Maybe their newer acustock is an exception.

I am willing to spend a bit more if needed. I want this to be a really nice rifle. I just don’t want to pay custom prices. I should also add, I am only planning on buying a rifle with a sub-MOA guarantee.

I just don’t want to go through tons of Ammo and wrestle with customer service if it doesn’t actually shoot sub-MOA to prove it doesn’t and get it fixed til it does.

Many Savages shoot sub-MOA for sure, but also no guarantee.

300 PRC looks great on paper and I hear wonderful things about it. Right now, the only two factory loads for it I’m aware of are from Hornady, one intended for hunting. You think the chance of this single hunter cartridge shooting well in (insert model) 300 PRC is good enough to be worth this risk?

Holy shit you're right! There are only 2 companies making PRC ammo. If the Hornady factory burns down people are screwed!

• Haha

I REALLY like the idea with WSM that the gun will be shorter and lighter and the powder I hear burns quicker... even 22” barrels I read work well on 300 WSM. Also, 300 WSM has really displaced 300 WM in the target world the past few years. Supposedly more accurate. Perhaps this is a function of less recoil for the same velocity, though there also seems to be something magical about the stubbier cases.

The two biggest drawbacks I see with WSM are not as many heavy offerings in factory ammo and also concerns about feeding. My understanding is, after-market modifications often need to be done to get a 300 WSM to shoot heavies well (and they will with these mods)... but I don’t want to hassel with mods either.

Holy shit you're right! There are only 2 companies making PRC ammo. If the Hornady factory burns down people are screwed!

On the flip side... if a company (e.g. Christensen) has a sub MoA guarantee in 300 PRC using factory ammo, maybe the current dearth of factory loads doesn’t matter that much... if one of them doesn’t work, the manufacturer keeps making mods to the rifle until it does...

Easy button is a 300 WM and just shoot Berger ammo with the 215 Hybrid. This combo is very well vetted for target or hunting applications.

I went with 300 PRC and will shoot the 215s.

Easy button is a 300 WM and just shoot Berger ammo with the 215 Hybrid. This combo is very well vetted for target or hunting applications.

I went with 300 PRC and will shoot the 215s.
Can I expect Berger Hybrids to perform as well as ELD-X up close? Or is the energy so great, this is a moot point anyway?

Can I expect Berger Hybrids to perform as well as ELD-X up close? Or is the energy so great, this is a moot point anyway?

Everything I have ever touched with the Berger 215 has died. All elk, several up close 30-100 yards, out to 900 yards and everything in between. That bullet is devastating. It is well proven. The only quirk is take a needle and make sure that all the tiny hollow points are the same depth, we have found 1 out of like 1200 that had too much lead in it and the opening was extremely shallow. Use that bullet for sight in or rocks. Check the price on Berger ammo before you get too excited.

Hi Crew: This is my first post in this forum, though I have been reading Sniper's Hide posts for years now. Love the input so many of you share.

I am looking at purchasing my first 300. Already have other rifles in other calibers. The 300 will be primarily for hunting (to include elk or even grizzly bear) with some long-range capability but also brush capable, but would also like for long range plinking and shooting enjoyment. Not competitions. Ideally, I would like to run the 200 gr. ELD-X. Open to Approx 180-220 grain bullet. I don't want to run much lighter or heavier than this. I want to use the same bullet for hunting that I use for plinking. I want a factory rifle that will easily shoot factory ammo sub-MOA (my 6.5 CM has spoiled me). Not currently reloading, but may get into it in the future. Have family and friends heavy into reloading.

Curious your thoughts? My priorities:
1. Accuracy (but not enough that I am currently reloading). 1/2 - to just sub MOA is acceptable enough to me for this purpose.
2. Weight and length of rifle. Prefer lighter and shorter for hunting. 22-24" barrel ideal for my purposes.
3. Reliability (I do have some concerns over potential feeding issues of 300 WSM)
4. Factory Key-turn plug and chug. I am not interested in trying out 20 different boxes of ammo to finally get one that works well.
5. Bullet. As mentioned, 200 grain ELD-X +/- around 20 grains either direction would be what I hope works. Obviously, it may not pan out this way, may end up needing to go Nosler or something else. I DON'T want to be shooting any less than around 180 grain. Much over 220 grain is also likely excessive for my purposes.
6. I don't want to have to pay for after market gunsmithing, modifications of chamber, throat specs, etc.

I'm not concerned about ammo availability or losing my ammo on a hunting trip.

I know there isn't a perfect solution given the priorities I shared above. Given this, which of these three calibers would you pick? I am not interested in discussion of calibers outside of these three (6.5 PRC, other short mags, other 300's, 280's, etc.). Thanks! Look forward to hearing your input.

Please sell me on which of these three you think best fits the priorities I have shared above, and why.
.300 PRC. It will shoot 200+ grain bullets faster than WM. More modern bullet.

Buy a tikka and be done. If you want to go on the heavier bullet side, go 300wm. Tikka’s shoot. Maybe one in 10,000 won’t outshoot you. Putt a brake on it if you plan to bag steel. 6.5 pound guns are not fun in 300wm.

The Berger 215 is well proven. A google search for "broz 215 hybrid" will yield dozens, maybe hundreds of field reports.

I’d go 300wm and I’m partial to the Seekins Havak PH2. For a “factory” rifle they are pretty spendy but you get a lot. They use rock creek barrels and will rebarrel any havak for $500. Nice stocks and Timney trigger as well as there Havak action. They also have generous COAL in their detachable magazines. The Berger 215 factory ammo is 3.600” and fits with room to spare.

besides that, 300wm has a plethora of quality factory ammo and whichever rifle you get I’m sure it will like one of them.

There is very little real world data on the PRC. The 30 Nosler is an awesome cartridge and now has three different options for brass. The 300 PRC will actually be slightly LONGER when both are throated with a given bullet seated in the same manner. I have had 3 Noslers and have a PRC that should be here in a week or so. Rich does have another great option which should be given serious consideration.

Buy a tikka and be done. If you want to go on the heavier bullet side, go 300wm. Tikka’s shoot. Maybe one in 10,000 won’t outshoot you. Putt a brake on it if you plan to bag steel. 6.5 pound guns are not fun in 300wm.

I love Tikkas and own one myself. I have concerns about their 1:11 twist for their 300s.

The PRC would be the best bet. In hunting, I’ve rarely if ever seen bigger not being better. Perhaps it’s not necessary but none the less.
I find concern with the barrel specs however. You’ll not be taking advantage of the capability of any of the win mag or the PRC. The short mag would make more sense in a lot of ways for hunting specifically.

Accuracy is not inherent to a cartridge so that specification is null. Your rigs build, factory or otherwise is going to be the major factor. Past certain ranges most factory ammo is going to leave something to be desired for long range application. You said ELD-X, and my best ES chronoing amongst a slew of rifles cartridges including the 200gr eld precision hunter out of a .300wm was about 25 on average. That best was actually out of a 7mm-08 eldx. Take that as you will.

I’d go 300wm and I’m partial to the Seekins Havak PH2. For a “factory” rifle they are pretty spendy but you get a lot. They use rock creek barrels and will rebarrel any havak for $500. Nice stocks and Timney trigger as well as there Havak action. They also have generous COAL in their detachable magazines. The Berger 215 factory ammo is 3.600” and fits with room to spare.

besides that, 300wm has a plethora of quality factory ammo and whichever rifle you get I’m sure it will like one of them.

I know Seekins has a great name. Their warranty looks like it covers everything, no questions asked. They don’t guarantee sub-MOA. Given this, you still think this would be better than CA (guarantees sub MOA but lots of caveats in warranty, etc.)?

Reactions: Penguins
The PRC would be the best bet. In hunting, I’ve rarely if ever seen bigger not being better. Perhaps it’s not necessary but none the less.
I find concern with the barrel specs however. You’ll not be taking advantage of the capability of any of the win mag or the PRC. The short mag would make more sense in a lot of ways for hunting specifically.

Accuracy is not inherent to a cartridge so that specification is null. Your rigs build, factory or otherwise is going to be the major factor. Past certain ranges most factory ammo is going to leave something to be desired for long range application. You said ELD-X, and my best ES chronoing amongst a slew of rifles cartridges including the 200gr eld precision hunter out of a .300wm was about 25 on average. That best was actually out of a 7mm-08 eldx. Take that as you will.

If going 300WSM, do you have a specific rifle you’d recommend?

There is very little real world data on the PRC. The 30 Nosler is an awesome cartridge and now has three different options for brass. The 300 PRC will actually be slightly LONGER when both are throated with a given bullet seated in the same manner. I have had 3 Noslers and have a PRC that should be here in a week or so. Rich does have another great option which should be given serious consideration.

Nosler has a great name and product(s) for sure! And the Nosler DOES look very impressive. The factory ammo is $1 more per round than factory ammo for 300PRC. Hornady does a fantastic job marketing. My guess is 10 years from now PRC will have far more traction and more factory loads available than the Nosler. Probably somewhat a moot point to the reloader. I could be wrong though.

Buy this from a member.

I know Seekins has a great name. Their warranty looks like it covers everything, no questions asked. They don’t guarantee sub-MOA. Given this, you still think this would be better than CA (guarantees sub MOA but lots of caveats in warranty, etc.)?
There’s a thread somewhere talking about guarantees I found interesting.

The sub moa guarantee is more straight forward, but many people have testified on here as to the integrity of the Seekins guarantee as well. Seekins guarantees your gun will be a shooter, but I think they just don’t want their reputation to be tied to someone else’s ammunition product.

I own both brands and they are both shooters and will stand by their products. I have had warranty work done by both. Both communicate equally as quick and turn around time was the same for both, about 2 weeks.

Buy this from a member.

This looks nice. How do I access the PX here to view offerings? I don’t plan on selling anything for now and don’t have 100 posts (and don’t want to pay $50 to post in PX).

Buy this from a member.

On Sportsman’s Warehouse, looks like the 300 PRC is a 1:10 twist. I don’t really understand this for a rifle specifically intended to run heavies. Seems most of the 300 PRC builds are 1:8 or 1:9.

I went with a 300wsm, LRI rebarreled my Win70. I use the factory Federal 200gr Edge TLR which shoots around 1/2". I can't imagine a better hunting rifle.

This looks nice. How do I access the PX here to view offerings? I don’t plan on selling anything for now and don’t have 100 posts (and don’t want to pay $50 to post in PX).
Just send him a PM if you’re allowed to buy which you may want to revisit rules to tell

What do you want the bullet to do at what range? I've taken a lot of bears and all have been 12 ga or .308 so all three would work. Shorter ranges I think WSM is a no brainer just because you'll probably take a pound off the gun which is a lot if you're chasing critters through the mountains.

What do you want the bullet to do at what range? I've taken a lot of bears and all have been 12 ga or .308 so all three would work. Shorter ranges I think WSM is a no brainer just because you'll probably take a pound off the gun which is a lot if you're chasing critters through the mountains.

I anticipate taking most game within 500 yards but want it capable out to 800 yards for larger game. I want it capable for both brush and the longish ranges for hunting. I want to be able to hunt elk and grizzly/brown bear with it. I want to be able to have fun hitting steel with it at even longer ranges than these.

Have you used these for grizzlies too?

I anticipate taking most game within 500 yards but want it capable out to 800 yards for larger game. I want it capable for both brush and the longish ranges for hunting. I want to be able to hunt elk and grizzly/brown bear with it. I want to be able to have fun hitting steel with it at even longer ranges than these.

Within 500 I'd still go WSM, difference in energy is like 50 lbs between the three at that range? Out to 800 I think the PRC will really pull away, but not with the 200 grain. The PRC was made for the heavier bullets and it really shines with them. WSM you're going to struggle trying to get the heavier bullets up to speed I think.

*I've never loaded for PRC or WSM this is just my assumptions based of the info I have from interest in the cartridges.

Have you used these for grizzlies too?
Yes. I grew up in the Alaska bush so everything I took until after college was with a .22, .44, 12 ga, .308, then when I saved up for one a 300WM. I honestly don't know how many bears I've killed, I only ever hunted them once and that was a black bear hunt during college, maybe 15-20 bears? Contrary to modern opinions they .308 worked great. Most of my friends used the same calibers with a sprinkling of .270, 30-06, and 7mm.

Within 500 I'd still go WSM, difference in energy is like 50 lbs between the three at that range? Out to 800 I think the PRC will really pull away, but not with the 200 grain. The PRC was made for the heavier bullets and it really shines with them. WSM you're going to struggle trying to get the heavier bullets up to speed I think.

*I've never loaded for PRC or WSM this is just my assumptions based of the info I have from interest in the cartridges.

It looks like the Hornady 200 gr Precision Hunter in 300 WSM has 1500 ft/lbs of energy out to 700 yards. If I realistically want get more energy beyond this, looks like I am gonna need to go PRC or 300WM with heavier ammo. Not sure I will have much success running the really heavy 300s in factory configured 300 WSM.

That said, I really worry about taking shots at animals at the really long ranges. A little miscalculated wind or too much variance in the velocity of the factory load equals bad outcome.

If I’m going to shoot any animals beyond 700 yards or so... perhaps I really need to be reloading. And even then... so many variables.

for hunting there is no difference between them at all, choose the one that looks the coolest.

even if you are target shooting, there isnt much of a difference.

all three go wayyy past 1000 yards as accurate as you can shoot

if your going on a sheep hunt and humping it mountains for a few days the WSM might save you some ounces.

animals dont know the difference of 100 fps when its starting at 2900

personally id get the 300wm (still have one)

every type/combo of ammo imaginable from big name companies

when in doubt grab a box of federal match 190 SMK, if that doesnt shoot 3/4 MOA or less..its the gun

they are all 30cal at the end of the day, if the little differences are stopping you/ making you think twice from taking a shot you need to step up to a 300NM or 338 caliber

have fun..

Yes. I grew up in the Alaska bush so everything I took until after college was with a .22, .44, 12 ga, .308, then when I saved up for one a 300WM. I honestly don't know how many bears I've killed, I only ever hunted them once and that was a black bear hunt during college, maybe 15-20 bears? Contrary to modern opinions they .308 worked great. Most of my friends used the same calibers with a sprinkling of .270, 30-06, and 7mm.

I assume you were using 180 grain with the .308? I hear many Alaskan bear guides won’t take someone out with anything less than 300WM.

I assume you were using 180 grain with the .308? I hear many Alaskan bear guides won’t take someone out with anything less than 300WM.

Only time I made sure I had 180s was when I was moose hunting. Other than that whatever was in the gun.

Many guides are taking people that aren’t necessarily any good at shooting, hunting, or fitness. Having a minimum caliber increases their odds of not having to track a wounded critter I’m sure. And if I were going on a dream hunt to AK, 308 probably wouldn’t be my top choice but that has more to do with range now than anything else. As always shot placement is 80% of harvesting an animal IMHO, enough energy and bullet performance probably the other 20%.

I went with a 300wsm, LRI rebarreled my Win70. I use the factory Federal 200gr Edge TLR which shoots around 1/2". I can't imagine a better hunting rifle.
Also, have you had any feeding problems? This is honestly the biggest thing holding me back from WSM. Love the idea of the size, etc. Don’t like the idea of my gun jamming with a grizzly charging me. 🤣

Reactions: Curt514
Also, have you had any feeding problems? This is honestly the biggest thing holding me back from WSM. Love the idea of the size, etc. Don’t like the idea of my gun jamming with a grizzly charging me. 🤣

I have a M70 in 6.5 SAUM, never any feeding issues. Nice thing about WSM in the M70 is the 3.10 length mag box, plenty of room to load long with heavy bullets.

Bad part about M70 is chassis and DBM options generally suck.