• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns SH handgun Dot Torture challenge

Your dot drill is Special Olympics level. Did you win the tallest midget contest?

And..he is still here. Still jabbering.

But, wait, now we learn he hunts squirrels and gets head shots at 40 yards, oh, with "boring regularity."

Again, put up or shut up. We'll even let you do it at three yards, not five yards.

We are waiting. Use that squirrel pistol at 5 yards, do the drill. Post the results.

Forget that asshole. He's just polluting a useful thread with his bullshit chest puffing.

Let's get back to shooting and ignore the dipshits that can't back up what they claim

Reactions: Centuriator
Like I said, back to shooting and ignoring the 'tards............

As promised, two for today.
  • 9/11/19
  • CZ P-09
  • TDA Dot Torture
  • 5 yds
  • 48/50
P-09 (2) dot torture 9-11-19.jpg

You can clearly see my two trigger control fuck ups
P-09 dot torture 9-11-19.jpg

• 9/11/19
  • CZ P-01
  • TDA Dot Torture
  • 5 yards
  • 40-fucking-9 / 50
Aaaaannnddd this is why we love to hate this drill
P-01 (2) dot torture 9-11-19.jpg

Round #50, out at 4 o'clock. FML
P-01 dot torture 9-11-19.jpg

Hope to do another revolver torture tomorrow, this time with the 50 round target

Last edited:
Nice shooting, I haven’t pulled a live trigger in about a month. Hoping to rectify that soon!

I shot another one today & dropped one point w/ the left hand on #8. My time, using a shot timer was 167.72. I dropped one point so I didn’t bother to get a pic.

I shot another one today & dropped one point w/ the left hand on #8. My time, using a shot timer was 167.72. I dropped one point so I didn’t bother to get a pic.

What f-ing kills me is that I can destroy SHO and WHO at will but drop the only point on an easy ass shot after a reload.

I did that yesterday; I have a habit of shooting fast as I’m pretty much always shooting turning targets, steel or drills on paper for time. I feel out of place shooting slow.

I did that yesterday; I have a habit of shooting fast as I’m pretty much always shooting turning targets, steel or drills on paper for time. I feel out of place shooting slow.

I shoot USPSA or IDPA just about every weekend and very often I'll do drills geared towards them during the week.

Yeah, I love blowing fast splits, transitions, and combining shooting and movement, but these drills that hammer the fundamentals are a good change of pace.

Alas, I'm incapable of blowing the heads off squirrels at 40 yards. Yet.

These drills are great to reinforce the fundamentals. As long as you follow the fundamentals of basic marksmanship instruction this stuff is easy. One might say like magic; the weapon discharges & the desired results happen. We’re all human & we’re all guilty of screwing up.

I see guys shooting steel w/ varying degrees of success. Some are happy w/ their times / accuracy, & good for them. A little success builds confidence & the willingness to learn.

The one thing I caution against when shooting steel is to not forget the fundamentals. Shooters start looking over their sights & missing because they’re shooting too fast for their abilities. “You can’t miss fast enough” comes to mind. The most important shot in the world is the one you’re trying to make right now.

We’re all guilty of this to some degree. I shoot drills at 110 MPH & when I’m not hitting the target I dial it back in as necessary.

Last edited:
I'm also a big fan of the Bill drill. The shot timer is key. And to make it more of a challenge, Vickers has us run the Bill drill requiring all hits to be in the black of a B-8 target. So many ways to step it up, or down, per skill level. Always room to grow with it. It really requires the fundamentals to be on the top of your game to be successful with it. Par time is 2.5 seconds or less from holster, to 6 rounds on target, in the B-8 black, cleaning it. It really helps you learn how to balance speed and accuracy. Groups tight? Speed up. Groups spread? Slow down, work your way up.

There's an interesting discussion forming in my head about the differences in approach that defensive trainers have towards drills compared to what sport-oriented handgun trainers like Ben Stoeger and Steve Anderson do.

Other than the Bill drill, Stoeger has in his books virtually none of the drills that defensive/combative trainers love so much.

More to the point, many (most?) defensive trainers see drills as tests rather than what a drill really is (a skill building exercise).

I suppose that may be because in sport shooting (USPSA, IDPA) match day is the test and drills are what you do to work on skills that will be tested. It's difficult and impractical to setup scenarios similar to a match stage during a two-day defensive pistol class, and so drills become the stand-in for the test.

FWIW...I've never taken firearms classes from "sports-oriented" trainers, so I can't speak to that approach. In my training experiences (detailed above), the classes have emphasized building fundamental skills, repeated many times, over and over and over, before moving up/on to more challenging drills in more challenging classes. But every class, no matter what "level" begins with "knocking the rust off" at the start of the day with basic drills focusing on accuracy, first, then adding speed, than adding challenges by increasing distance and shooting/moving, but it always begins with a focus on essential fundamentals, with the trigger press/control emphasized above all else. All the classes end the day with drills. that put all the skills covered that day or weekend together by which time you are pressed to the point of failure to keep you humble and make you realizing the drill/practice never ends. Shooting skills are highly perishable. Which is why I find shooting to be so enjoyable, I'm always working at increasing skills, or exercising skills. Some guys like to golf for the same reason, I suppose. I prefer shooting.

Reactions: PBWalsh
I had a chance to shoot this fit drill again today. When time allows I’ll shoot another at 5 yards.

ETA: Both drills shot w/ a Glock 22 (.40 S&W).

Attachments

• 461F4F5C-91CD-4440-811A-D9E9752782AD.jpeg
    461F4F5C-91CD-4440-811A-D9E9752782AD.jpeg
    350.9 KB · Views: 121
  • 02E2DE1F-C1D9-442F-B86E-4F2568C8ADA3.jpeg
    02E2DE1F-C1D9-442F-B86E-4F2568C8ADA3.jpeg
    338.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
I start the shot timer w/ a five second delay. When the timer “beeps” I draw & start my firing sequence. I also keep a second copy of the target nearby in the event I get lost in the COF.

*I start the timer over every time I shoot a drill. The shot timer also captures your splits if you’re interested in reviewing them.

Thanks. I don’t shoot USPSA at all. I’ll attend a few local pistol matches once in a while but that’s all. I’m far more interested in shooting rifle comps.

Trigger job on the 64? If so, what's the pull weight in DA and SA?
Oh yes. It's a smooooth 8 lb DA and I think 2 lb SA. I never shoot DA revolvers in single action tho.

Local guy who retired from the Sheriff's Office does amazing work on S&W wheelguns. He just tuned up for me a Performance Center 627 that I'm gonna use in USPSA next season

I also shoot revolvers a lot.......

I used to shoot quite a bit of USPSA, now I shoot PRS style stuff. I never liked how much setup and tear down there was involved with USPSA for what usually amounted to 60-90 seconds of shooting. There's still a little of that with PRS stuff but a lot less than USPSA.

I found the opposite to be true for me. I tried a couple of PRS club matches and just could not stand the slow pace and the amount of time it took out of my day. Add to that that the closest PRS match is 2.5 hrs and the closest USPSA match is 25 minutes, well...............

I shot a few dot drills today & hit the point of diminishing returns. I needed a break mentally so I shot some steel.

I got the spinner to spin five times on a total of 15 rounds. Timing your shots is crucial to executing this task. I missed the top piece of steel twice. For those who haven’t attempted this drill, the top plate is harder than it looks to hit while it’s moving & timing is critical.

Glock 22 (.40 S&W)

*This drill was shot at a little more than 15 yards. There is a full-sized IPSC target next to the spinner for reference, ie I took a pic from my firing point.

**OP, it’s not my intention to derail this thread. Please do not take this post as such.

Attachments

• 966CC504-D609-49B2-A21E-9023513DA163.jpeg
    966CC504-D609-49B2-A21E-9023513DA163.jpeg
    932.3 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Damn,

Now I think less of Missouri.

Bought this, hopefully pick it up next week, just because Ive always wanted a bluntline so now I get to scratch that itch for 150 bucks instead of thousands.
1568410440566.png

Might use it to just reach out and mop the floor with yall here on this drill. I can just touch the target at 3 only yards lol

Lord knows Im not going to cut it with my opsreyd glock 43

Last edited:
WTF is that?
Heritage roughrider I think? Yeah, invoice says that.
Idk, it’s a 16” 22 and cheap that I saw on slick guns this week. I’ve wanted a 12” ruger single six to match dads for my whole life but at the same time I want a lee van cleef angel eyes dollars long barrel revolver too. And Wyatt Earps buntline is the ideal but I’ll be damned if I spend that much on a pistol. Saw this and thought “shit, it’s been a couple months since I’ve been to the FFL” :ROFLMAO:
I can get my “buntline” fix and waste time while the rifle barrel cools for the cheapest 22 ammo I can find.

Last edited:
Idk, it’s a 16” 22 and cheap that I saw on slick guns this week. I’ve wanted a 12” ruger single six to match dads for my whole life but at the same time I want a lee van cleef angel eyes dollars long barrel revolver too. And Wyatt Earps buntline is the ideal but I’ll be damned if I spend that much on a pistol. Saw this and thought “shit, it’s been a couple months since I’ve been to the FFL” :ROFLMAO:
I can get my “buntline” fix and waste time while the rifle barrel cools for the cheapest 22 ammo I can find.

Oh shit, it's real?!?

I meant what's a "opsreyd glock 43"

Is that a 43 "tuned" by some tacticool trainer?

Oh, yeah lol. Baby Glock with a big can.
And no, I just haven’t ever shot it without the can on it. Can’t really aim that well being the sights are obscured. It’s more for home security and going into the brush after something.
1D5A8F3E-1DE9-4F90-AA2A-D691C2BCAF05.jpeg

I like this torture test. I called my misses. It’s even worse when you pull the trigger and go “f***” once it breaks.

I did not pass. Dropped 4 shots. Total time of 196.37sec

4FE36D0F-EAE2-4A8A-BE47-E171478AA03B.jpeg

Reactions: 308pirate
I didn’t shoot the much this week at all. Yesterday I shot about 100 rounds on steel. Going back to the spinner I posted a picture of before, I got it to spin 11 times on one magazine. I was shooting the same GLOCK 22 w/ a 15 round magazine.

My timing was a bit off & missed the top steel target twice. My new goal is to spin it 15 times on one mag.

I’ve reposted the same pic of the spinner I used in a previous post above.

Attachments

• A09F5F57-B3C8-475B-B0AB-0500B60513C2.jpeg
    A09F5F57-B3C8-475B-B0AB-0500B60513C2.jpeg
    932.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Been real busy at work this week, yesterday was HS sports, pistol maintenance, and reloading day, and I just got back from a hot ass USPSA match.

That's why there's no output from me this week

Last edited:
Subd, glad I saw this. Trying this drill out this week, and can’t wait to see my stellar offhand shooting

Tagging in,I've done the drill once before and embarrassed myself.

Going to print these and try again....

And again........and again.....

Outstanding.

Thanks ?? Was happy with it for sure especially for going quick. I do a “dot” drill with smaller dots, but 5 yards I usually go downhill fast so I will post that one too for feedback