• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s SH Motorcycle Thread

Most of us started on dirt bikes. Getting a dual purpose would be a good starter bike. Learn to ride slow in parking lots. Just about anyone can ride the roads but doing U-turns and slow speed handling is what will keep you off the pavement. That's what you will learn in a beginner rider course. What you cover in the class needs to be practiced after the the class.
The learning to relax and not tense up on grooved and rough pavement is usually learned early on when riding dirt bikes.
Target fixation. You will hit what you are looking at. Look where you want to go. Not at what you don't want to hit.
Learning to use your front brakes and switching to the rear before you come to a complete stop is important. The front brakes will put your face on the pavement quick.
A V Rod doesn't have an ideal riding position for a beginner but for a Harley they are fairly nimble.
Thank you for the info and advice. I am happy I am taking this on at 39 and not 21. Smarter, not harder is the way.

Thank you for the info and advice. I am happy I am taking this on at 39 and not 21. Smarter, not harder is the way.
My suggestion as beginner bikes would be buell blast, older Honda rebel 250 but 450 even better. Just about any vertical twin older Japanese bike will be a great choice for a beginner bike. I will say enduro/dual sport can be a tall bike and sometimes not always the best choice.

I just acquired this cheap: 1979 Honda CX500 deluxe. Very rough condition, been sitting outside for years.

50 hp engine, 2 cylinder 4 stroke, 4 overhead valves per cylinder, 80 degree v-twin with the cylinders slightly angled to avoid the carbs hitting the rider's knees.

Shaft drive. Supposed to be ahead of its time, but Moto-Guzzi was doing it. Honda then developed a 650 version, then discontinued the design.

Was/is still very popular in the UK, and here in the US as well. A project bike for me. I bought it for the engine, perhaps I can adapt it for a very small, light aircraft I have yet to build? Or perhaps bring it up to roadworthy condition & ride it?
IMG_20230425_105607.jpg

Looks a lot better condition in the photo than in person!

Those hondas are cool......^^^^^^^^^^^ pushrod opposed v twin....
Got the reverse comstar wheels on there. Nice.....make a moto guzzi V7 replica out of it.

Reactions: Mudburner
I just acquired this cheap: 1979 Honda CX500 deluxe. Very rough condition, been sitting outside for years.

50 hp engine, 2 cylinder 4 stroke, 4 overhead valves per cylinder, 80 degree v-twin with the cylinders slightly angled to avoid the carbs hitting the rider's knees.

Shaft drive. Supposed to be ahead of its time, but Moto-Guzzi was doing it. Honda then developed a 650 version, then discontinued the design.

Was/is still very popular in the UK, and here in the US as well. A project bike for me. I bought it for the engine, perhaps I can adapt it for a very small, light aircraft I have yet to build? Or perhaps bring it up to roadworthy condition & ride it?View attachment 8130612

Looks a lot better condition in the photo than in person!
Very cool. Tough to find cheap these days due to their popularity in cafe racer builds. IMO, the second most attractive candidate for revision. Those protruding cylinder heads really draw the eye.
1682785180467.jpeg

1682785279997.jpeg

1682785327491.jpeg

(Most attractive being the BMW K100;)
1682785446674.jpeg

1682785582466.jpeg

4013934.jpg

zoom zoom,,
010.JPG

the beast that sent me on a shock trauma chopper as a patient
011 (2).JPG

the super scooter
Bike 008.JPG

the cruiser
Mantech_Page_3.jpg

Oldschool fast...
Mantech_Page_2.jpg

Wicked Raptor,, stupid quick but burns rings fast.

DSC06078.JPG

Wifes old go fast
craig1.JPG

the one i miss ... crazy lean and fun
craig2.jpg

Stock they are junk, but with some mods to suspension and motor,,, Torque monster fun and built for tall guys... easy 175mph

yessir. it's called pittrace now. they added another 1 mile or so to the original track.

you're familiar with the track?
I used to live in Beaver falls, I remember when they built the track. I was gonna buy a Suzuki Sv650 and do some battle of the twins. But I moved back to upstate NY instead.

Mike

2t or none at all....
I need to remember a trail pic. BIL asked for this one when we were taking a water break on the way to the truck.

IMG_20230513_143741006~2.jpg

And yes, that's a cagiva made husky with a right hand drive and kick. It's hilarious watching people try and start it. The starter is so far forward it stops at the footpeg instead of going under. It rips harder than the KTM300, but it's getting retired as parts are unobtainable.

2t or none at all....
I need to remember a trail pic. BIL asked for this one when we were taking a water break on the way to the truck.

View attachment 8143847

And yes, that's a cagiva made husky with a right hand drive and kick. It's hilarious watching people try and start it. The starter is so far forward it stops at the footpeg instead of going under. It rips harder than the KTM300, but it's getting retired as parts are unobtainable.
That was the first thing I noticed......drive is on the wrong (Right) side of that bike!
Very unique and cool!!

Last year before the snow was flying.
Left to right..... 2021 Husky TE150 on the left is a blast to ride, you shift this sucker A LOT to keep in the power band but it's so light, like a mountain bike with a motor. My 2019 TX300 in the middle, last of the carbed bikes and power is stupid for my old bones. Found it last year with 7 hours on it....SCORE!! Lectron carb on her and it doesn't mind 5000' elevation changes. Love this bike!
On the right is a 2023 TE300i which is an awesome bike in it's own right. Yes, when they say linear power I know what they mean, it just doesn't have that power of a carb bike down low....incredible machine tho!
Uncompaghre.jpg
Yes, we have KTM 4T's as well, but they usually get left at home.;)

My 2019 TX300 in the middle, last of the carbed bikes and power is stupid for my old bones. Found it last year with 7 hours on it....SCORE!! Lectron carb on her and it doesn't mind 5000' elevation changes. Love this bike!
I just upgraded from a Lectron Billetron 38 to their new Pro Series 38 carb on my 2019 KTM 300XC. It is just like the Billetron, but with an added adjustable torque jet that starts delivering a tad extra fuel at 1/4 throttle. It is a siphon jet just like the power jet. The tapered metering rod still delivers the bulk of the fuel. The original Billetron 38 was just a tad lean in the 1/4 to 1/2 throttle range for my engine.

For a limited time Lectron is running a trade-in program for upgrading from one of their earlier H series or Billetron carbs. See their website for details. Depending on when you bought your earlier Lectron, they are offering either a $300 or a $600 trade-in credit.

2t or none at all....

View attachment 8143847

Never heard of Cagiva before. Just read a little something about them.

Why would you want a right hand drive? What are the benefits? Never heard of those before either.

I just upgraded from a Lectron Billetron 38 to their new Pro Series 38 carb on my 2019 KTM 300XC. It is just like the Billetron, but with an added adjustable torque jet that starts delivering a tad extra fuel at 1/4 throttle. It is a siphon jet just like the power jet. The tapered metering rod still delivers the bulk of the fuel. The original Billetron 38 was just a tad lean in the 1/4 to 1/2 throttle range for my engine.

For a limited time Lectron is running a trade-in program for upgrading from one of their earlier H series or Billetron carbs. See their website for details. Depending on when you bought your earlier Lectron, they are offering either a $300 or a $600 trade-in credit.
Good to know, I'll check it out. My Lectron is a pretty early version as I bought it for a KTM that ended up not working out so it sat new on my shelf for at least a couple of years.

Good to know, I'll check it out. My Lectron is a pretty early version as I bought it for a KTM that ended up not working out so it sat new on my shelf for at least a couple of years.
I had a 1st gen Lectron on a prior 2004 KTM 300EXC. Lectron had a lot of different metering rod grinds back then for those, and I was able to get the right one for the fueling needs of that engine. Idle stability wasn't as good on those 1st gens, but the Billetron and Pro Series have rock steady idles.

Lectron doesen't have a vast selection of metering rod tapers for their newest offerings, so the new torque jet on their Pro Series takes the place of having to develop and maintain a library of metering rods. I'll run 1/2 turn out for tight woods, and 3/4 - 1 turn out for more hit in the more open sections.

Never heard of Cagiva before. Just read a little something about them.

Why would you want a right hand drive? What are the benefits? Never heard of those before either.

Tradition mostly. Husky and Husaberg were both right hand drive for a long time, with the Husaberg having left side start. There may have been some engineering reason but nothing I've found actual evidence of. There's all sorts of right hand drive bikes from all manufacturers through the years though.

Stator is on the right with the clutches on the left. Trans is smooth as silk, fully meshed, and interestingly you can just smoothly click gears even at full load with no clutch.

Oddly enough it's never needed a clutch, or much else for parts. Just keep putting top ends in every few hundred hours, and keeping stuff greased. It's getting to where all the factory rubber and plastic is aging out though, and there is zero aftermarket. FMF quit making pipes and mufflers, so other than a top end from wossner, I can only replace stuff like sprockets and bars.

Reactions: LeftyJason
Tradition mostly. Husky and Husaberg were both right hand drive for a long time, with the Husaberg having left side start. There may have been some engineering reason but nothing I've found actual evidence of. There's all sorts of right hand drive bikes from all manufacturers through the years though.

Stator is on the right with the clutches on the left. Trans is smooth as silk, fully meshed, and interestingly you can just smoothly click gears even at full load with no clutch.

Oddly enough it's never needed a clutch, or much else for parts. Just keep putting top ends in every few hundred hours, and keeping stuff greased. It's getting to where all the factory rubber and plastic is aging out though, and there is zero aftermarket. FMF quit making pipes and mufflers, so other than a top end from wossner, I can only replace stuff like sprockets and bars.
So basically they're left handed motorcycles. The joys of opposite handed things.

Yamaha is starting to clean up nicely. My 16yr old thinks the 1980 IT175 is as gay as aids..... Ha
View attachment 8144043

I grew up with an old it400 sitting in the corner of the garage.

I was told I could ride it once I could start it. Then it disappeared one day and left me disappointed.
Guy that bought it rebuilt the suspension and did a piston and carb. Promptly rode it into some trees and smashed the frame and broke all the suspension.

Went to the National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa IA today. If you haven't been there I highly recommend a visit. Unfortunately the Museum is closing permanently in September.

Here are just a few pictures I took, it would be easy to spend half a day there. View attachment 8149183View attachment 8149185View attachment 8149186View attachment 8149183View attachment 8149185View attachment 8149186

I love the history of the "board walk" racing bikes. I can't even imagine the huge balls it took to ride that powered bicycle at 100+mph on a track made of wood on a machine with a total loss oil system. After a race the track had to look like an oil spill.....and they raced on that.

I would have love to seen that, to listen to that.....to smell that.

I want to say there are no "real" easy rider bikes. I think Fonda himself said the "hero" bike was stolen....I can't remember about the other.

There are usually a few bikes/cars when making a movie. Usually a "hero" bike, the one used in close up or general use. "Stunt" bikes that differ here and there, but can pass for the "hero" bike.

I know it is not motorcycle related, but I have a feeling some here will like this channel. I think it is pretty new as he does not do many videos, but I think they are perfect. Nice and short to the point. I hope he keeps doing them.

If any of you adventure bike types want to tag along with me on the trans Labrador,
I leave Schloss Nitrocellulose on Sept 10
And get back on the 20th.

I have an itinerary I can send. The toughest road in North America…

Visiting Louisburg, anse aux Meadows…
Crossing wreckhouse. Some of the best riding in North America.

Final dinner at the Chateau Frontenac On the night of the 19th. Guarantee one of the finest meals you ever ate. Bring a tie.

It’s about 2500 miles In 10 days. 4 ferry crossings. One 250 mile stretch with no gas.

You will love it.

Cheers, Sirhr

20230607_172350.jpg

I used to pasture and ditch ride as a kid so when a local offered to trade a dirtbike for a thermal I had for sale, I took him up on it thinking it would be a fun bike to putt around on with my boy who rides a 50. Stupid thing scares me every time I get on it 😂 The longer I have it, the more I realize I want it because it looks so cool. Just listed it for sale tonight with the idea of picking up the new Pulsar Mergers if it goes down the road.

View attachment 8157836
I used to pasture and ditch ride as a kid so when a local offered to trade a dirtbike for a thermal I had for sale, I took him up on it thinking it would be a fun bike to putt around on with my boy who rides a 50. Stupid thing scares me every time I get on it 😂 The longer I have it, the more I realize I want it because it looks so cool. Just listed it for sale tonight with the idea of picking up the new Pulsar Mergers if it goes down the road.
If my boy was into riding dirt bikes, and I had one to ride with him, it would NEVER cross my mind to sell. Ever.

Keep riding it and get used to the power, or look into downgrading to something like a KLX300R or a WR250F.

My boy took his permit test not too long ago.

Finally got out with him on the bike.

We had three generations out riding today and it was incredible!

View attachment 8159925
That’s a cool first bike. Lucky kid.
I wouldn't ride in a T shirt, I always wore leathers when riding,
Good for you?
1686491836147.jpeg

Some people understand the risks they take, and choose to live their lives anyways…and that’s ok and doesn’t affect you in the least.

That’s a cool first bike. Lucky kid.

Good for you?
View attachment 8159987
Some people understand the risks they take, and choose to live their lives anyways…and that’s ok and doesn’t affect you in the least.
It was just an observation and comment. However, in that case, why wear a helmet?

When I was having motorbike lessons prior to my test, the instructor was explaining why you should wear the appropriate safety gear. The explanation was without leathers, run a grape down a brick wall, that's you skin on the road - each to their own choice and accept the (avoidable) consequences.

It was just an observation and comment. However, in that case, why wear a helmet?

When I was having motorbike lessons prior to my test, the instructor was explaining why you should wear the appropriate safety gear. The explanation was without leathers, run a grape down a brick wall, that's you skin on the road - each to their own choice and accept the (avoidable) consequences.
It isn’t his bike, my bro has two and let him ride it.

Being he only has a permit and not a license, the king requires you to wear a helmet.

Reactions: Anb618
View attachment 8157836
Put a flywheel weight on it. Calms down the onrush of power and helps make it more stall resistant when doing tight quarters low rpm operations.

Reactions: SDBguy95