• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Sheepdog Warrior - Upstate NY

Hook Creek

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2010
Catskill Mountains, NY
Finally in the area there is a place to go for shooters of all types. Even better they have a 1000 yard range with steel to bang all over it, and i heard they are extending it even up to a mile. They have a few pistol/tactical areas set up, and was told about a 360° berm pit for one shooter at a time with call outs from a range officer. They also said moving targets were in the works to go across the 1k range. The instructors there were great to talk to, and were very knowledgeable in all aspects. Whatever it was i was talking about, there was a guy lol. This is hard to come by for me, and i was real impressed with what they have going on there. I Had a blast and dont miss out on NY's only shooting sports place of its kind so go check it out

Could you PM me a link or info? Google returned nothing.

Just went to this range yesterday after hearing about it here. Really nice setup for shooting long range steel, which is basically non-existent in this area. FYI for anyone considering going, the owner said that they would be closing down for winter on Nov 12th as of now. There has been interest in winter shooting so that date might change based on the weather holding out. They said the site would be updated with the latest info, or you could email to check in.

Reactions: Thecelt
Looks like Sheepdog will be offering PRS and rimfire rifle point series in 2018

This range is maybe 1:15 minutes from my farm and 15 minutes from the inlaws in Saugerties by blue mountain.... I will definitely spend time their this spring summer and fall.. once again useful info on the hide...

This has to be the old Catskill game farm. I took my kids there a long time ago. have to check it out.

Reactions: Thecelt
Could you please either post or PM me a link to the range? I'm a bit west of Albany and that sounds like someplace I'd like to visit.

Can you pm or post the link ? I am interested in using the range .

Fun match this past Sunday. They even paid cash to the top 2 shooters. Good mix of obstacles and had a couple of stages shooting through tight lanes cut in the woods. Next one is June 3.

April match was excellent!
Signed up for 6/3, see y'all there...

I shot there this morning ALWAYS a awesome time w ED!!

Steel targets engaged from covered range to 800yds are level. Targets @980 & 1kyds on hill are +4 degrees and very hard to call wind.

Most of my shooting is on this type of terrain Vermont NY border 1hr 30min north east of SDW.
With gullies pitches along with ever changing direction ,WIND is challenging for us on north eastern side .
Has anyone shoot during weekday hours and if so how crowded ?
ntw5ii6.jpg

Only time i get down is on the weekends. I try to get down by 9am and shoot a half day. I have never had any issues w the crowd.

Brett check their facebook page for range closures/classes. Try to go in the morning, the wind always seems to pick up in the afternnon. They have PRS style matches monthly.

Shot downrange @ Sheepdog, from under covered shooting benches.
VTU43Iv.jpg

Targets set up thru the cut line are 600-800+, IIRC. 1K targets are at top of hill, just left of center

yeah thats usually the case upstate , Hale mt on Bennington Vt . has an organized range which is very similar.
finding a prone position with enough angel is my concern. next week ill go check it out .
There are so many abandoned farms around and so many people who are into target shooting .
Thank you SDown for pic!

Just thought I'd chime in, since I visited this place a couple of weeks ago and went back to shoot today. As someone who has done 90% of my shooting at 100 yards and had never shot beyond 400 yards until today, this was a great trip. They have a ton of steel targets of all different shapes and sizes going out to 1000 yards. A lot of the steel is tough to spot in the above pic, but easy to find with a decent scope. The firing line has approx 10-12 shooting benches and there were only a couple of other guys shooting when I was there. The owner seems like a good guy and was on hand to chat/offer advice, etc.

I do have two items of what I hope are constructive criticism. I am admittedly a newbie when it comes to long range shooting (as mentioned before I shoot mostly AR's and handguns at 100 yards and under) so maybe this is a stupid comment, but it would be helpful if there were some indications of the distance of the various targets. I don't own a rangefinder and between my rudimentary ranging skills and the fact that I didn't really know how large the various targets were (is that an 18" plate at 500 yards or a 9" plate at 250?). Once I got out beyond 300 yards I had a fair amount of difficulty determining how far away the targets were. I'm sure some of this is due to my own inexperience, and I can even understand experienced guys wanting the challenge of ranging the various targets, but how about the option of getting some kind of handout that gives the ranges of some targets. I was there today to figure out what the drops were with my ammo and my rifle at various distances and wanted to try to get on target as quickly as possible. Again, I acknowledge that a more experienced shooter would have probably estimated the range to various steel targets better, but I have to think there are an awful lot of us in the Northeast who, even though we shoot a lot, have zero experience with shooting out beyond 3-400 yards.

My other comment is that this place really is wicked expensive. $30/hr or I can join for a year for$1000! My old club was located 15 miles outside of Boston, had decent facilities and offered shooting out to 300 yards a couple of time a month and cost $125/yr. Moreover, I think last winter this place was closed from November through March/April, so your $1000 full year membership was only good for 7-8 months. I understand that the owner put a chunk of money into building this range and I think it's great to have a nice facility like this within driving distance, but at these prices I see myself going maybe half a dozen times a year. If a year membership were $500 - hell even $600/yr I would give serious consideration to joining, would probably be there at least a couple of times a month, maybe more. It would be really great to develop my long range shooting. But at its current cost I just can't justify the expense. I suspect a lot of people feel the same way, since the two times I've been there, only 3-4 other shooters were there. Honestly, I suspect they would do better if they dropped their prices. They would make less money per customer, but there would be more customers.

So, in conclusion, if you have never had the opportunity to shoot out to 1000 yards, live within driving distance of the Catskill mountains of New York, and want to treat yourself to a fun day of shooting, this place is definitely worth a visit, just bring a bunch of cash and a rangefinder.:)

Reactions: Ruggedtouch
It is pricey but considering what they wanted originally the prices have came way down for a yearly membership. Only range I'm aware of to shoot 1k anytime. They also offer 1 mile and 2200 yards by reservation.

Thanks for that great write-up, houndog. I came across the Sheepdog website by chance last month and decided I had to schedule a day to drive up and do a days shooting. As it turned out, they have a one day precision rifle course in late July so I signed up for that.

Last edited:
I believe the target stand which i welded up and targets at 618 was my donation last year hahaha.

Reactions: Ruggedtouch
Thanks SlowFarmer, that's exactly what I needed. I was able to guesstimate distances up to about 300 yards and was right on. Couldn't find a large steel target that looked like it was located at 400, so I started shooting at a pretty large plate I thought was somewhere between 400 and 500 yards out. Couldn't understand why I was way-low. Kept adjusting the scope upward and still low. WTF? Turned out that it was the plates at 708. Wasted a bunch of time and ammo before I was able to get on target - particularly since I didn't have a spotter and had to try to see all my misses.

Did learn an important lesson though. I used to be into photography and now remember that telephoto lenses tend to compress your sense of distance (wide angle lenses to the opposite). I assume scopes operate in a similar fashion because those 700 yard plates sure didn't look like they were 400 yards behind the 300 yard plates I had been shooting at.:)

Pricing is a "strategy" that ranges use to regulate their membership/control the number of shooters using the range.

If you drop the price to low, you have a ton of members/shooters, the range gets overcrowded, and then everyone is pissed. Pissed shooters, equals a bad reputation, and eventually no one is showing up to shoot.

The only other option is to require a membership, and limit the number that are available. Of course then people bitch because they can't get a membership when they are sold out. We have a local private shooting club with limited membership numbers, and the current wait time to get a membership is 2-3 years!

As a range owner, uless you can handle a very large number of shooters, then you have to regulate the number of shooters somehow. Per some of the comments above, that pricing structure may change, until the owner figures out the balance between the fees and numbers of shooters showing up.

We have a 100 yard indoor range, and it is about $25 hour. With that price point, it is full fairly frequently, but it is not to the point where you are waiting hours to get a lane (unless it is deer season!). If that price was dropped to anything lower, everyone and their brother would be lined up to use it all day.

Of course there is also the law of supply and demand, if that is the only facility in the area, then they can charge whatever they want. Shooters are going to pay it, because they have no other options.

Paying high prices suck, but until we can get more long range facilities or facilities that can handle larger numbers, (especially east of the Mississippi), unfortunately everyone is going to be stuck in that boat.

Last edited:
This range is about 45 minutes from me. I’m currently a member of Forbes, which goes out to 1000. Definitely gonna be seeing what I can do to send some rounds here at 1 mile

Heard there was a possibility of one mile does any one have info ?
looking forward to some first round hits with Ryan pierce built 300 Norma Imp .
Also if anyone is looking for a custom built rifle who is into spending bench time reloading I have a 260 imp 30* in a cadex lite strike chassis for sale tac 30 action ,jewel , 28" Bartline BBL , just have two of them and really need one !

Attachments

• 300 nm imp a.jpg
    300 nm imp a.jpg
    984 KB · Views: 111
  • 300 nm imp c.jpg
    300 nm imp c.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 300 NM imp d.jpg
    300 NM imp d.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 104
  • way to go Ryan.jpg
    way to go Ryan.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Reactions: Critter killer
As of now 1 mile is on hold!

Citidiot transplant libtards to be exact. I'm not far from the range, my in-laws are 5 miles away... It will be worked out I'm sure.

Reactions: BCX
Me and a couple of buds are going in June. 3 hours from us in Southern New England so it will be overnight but it certainly is good to hear all of the good experiences..

Me and a couple of buds are going in June. 3 hours from us in Southern New England so it will be overnight but it certainly is good to hear all of the good experiences..
Some nice hotels in Kingston NY, not far from the range, everything you would need is their as well.

Sure do your going to enjoy your stay my wife is local to that area, an old friend of mine is the manager of a brewery, restaurant pizza joint on that road.. Katherine from Bklyn. Also it's close to the range.... Maybe I meet you guys if my schedule allows.. Been wanting to shoot their as well.

Sure do your going to enjoy your stay my wife is local to that area, an old friend of mine is the manager of a brewery, restaurant pizza joint on that road.. Katherine from Bklyn. Also it's close to the range.... Maybe I meet you guys if my schedule allows.. Been wanting to shoot their as well.

For sure...We are going up on June 11/12. I will let you know when the date gets closer

Let me know if there are some good watering holes. I know the Inn has a restaurant but no bar.

Hey guys whats protocal for transporting rifles and gear in auto?
Kingston is a snake pit of L.E.

No mags at 100 yards. No steel core bullets!! No handguns in NY unless you have a NY permit. Ny does not recognize out of state pistol permits. No pistol grips or over 10 round mags on AR platforms..no suppressed weopons

They do have have a plate at 1760 and also at 2200. However I believe you have to reserve a shoot for these.

I’ll be there on Wednesday and will be sure to get pics, review etc.