• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sherri Gallagher Uses .260 Rem to Win National HP

Re: Sherri Gallagher Uses .260 Rem to Win National HP

Sorry don't have the info to give you.

142 SMK's and RP brass too.

I tried Varget but it never shined like H4350. I'd guess shes in the 40 to 43 grain range.

Varget rules the roost when it comes to the 08 case. It is used widely in the uk for .308 and also shoots well in 6.5x47

my 7/08 loves it.

Varget is a great powder. Using Varget in a 260 Rem with a 142 grain bullet (or any 139-142 bullet), you give up some velocity to H4350. Obviously the load used shot very well, and the 260 is not a finiky caliber to load for. But you can get top velocity and very low ES with H4350.

35 gr-Varget with a 142 Sierra nets me 2650 in a 28" bbl

37.5 gr-Varget nets around 2750 in a 28" bbl

These are the velocities Sgt Gallagher was shooting with her 260 and she used a 28" bbl I believe.

The real story is Mid, who loads all her ammo in the past, was experimenting with a straight 260, a 22-250 blown out to 6XC dimensions and necked up to 6.5mm, the 6.5x47, and his own shortened case based on the 260. He was intending to standardize on one case for the 4 of them.

My suspicion is the AMU has taken over loading her ammo, so the straight 260 was a natural choice.

I'll see if I can get any intel to back this up.

HINT: don't read too much into the fact that she was shooting a straight 260. It is was it is, independent of who is running the gun, and she is what she is, independent of the dimensions of the case and projectile in the rifle.

She showed up to our CO State Prone Championship a few years ago with, of all things, a PRONE rifle. I have no idea what she was thinking. Our "prone" championship is really an across the course match by definition with 40 shots rapid fire at 300 yards and 40 shots slow fire at 600 yards. Our poorly done match program was the culprit behind her rifle choice. She is not the first to have done this.

Anyway, she proceeded to single load her rapids (10 shots in 70 seconds for those not familiar with the course of fire) and card back-to-back 199s... she then cleaned the two 600s and posted a 798-??X to win the match handily.

Also note that her offhand percent for the NRA week, shooting this oh-so-exciting 260 chambering in the TUbb fancy-dango rifle with palm rest, apertures, and long sight radius, was IDENTICAL to the percentage she posted the week before shooting the lowly 223 in a Service Rifle.

So, I'd not agree that this "says a lot about the 260" per the OP. It says a lot about Sherry. PERIOD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The real story is Mid, who loads all her ammo in the past, was experimenting with a straight 260, a 22-250 blown out to 6XC dimensions and necked up to 6.5mm, the 6.5x47, and his own shortened case based on the 260. He was intending to standardize on one case for the 4 of them.

My suspicion is the AMU has taken over loading her ammo, so the straight 260 was a natural choice.

I'll see if I can get any intel to back this up.

HINT: don't read too much into the fact that she was shooting a straight 260. It is was it is, independent of who is running the gun, and she is what she is, independent of the dimensions of the case and projectile in the rifle.

She showed up to our CO State Prone Championship a few years ago with, of all things, a PRONE rifle. I have no idea what she was thinking. Our "prone" championship is really an across the course match by definition with 40 shots rapid fire at 300 yards and 40 shots slow fire at 600 yards. Our poorly done match program was the culprit behind her rifle choice. She is not the first to have done this.

Anyway, she proceeded to single load her rapids (10 shots in 70 seconds for those not familiar with the course of fire) and card back-to-back 199s... she then cleaned the two 600s and posted a 798-??X to win the match handily.

Also note that her offhand percent for the NRA week, shooting this oh-so-exciting 260 chambering in the TUbb fancy-dango rifle with palm rest, apertures, and long sight radius, was IDENTICAL to the percentage she posted the week before shooting the lowly 223 in a Service Rifle.

So, I'd not agree that this "says a lot about the 260" per the OP. It says a lot about Sherry. PERIOD. </div></div>
Ya, but the only thing WE can do to look like Sherri is use the 260REM, so stop crushing our dreams man!

Then again, John Whidden won the long range championship using a 243WIN, so maybe I'll stick with that.
smile.gif

A few years ago Kent Reeve won the LR Championship shooting a K98 Mauser actioned rifle in 300WM. I asked him why he shot that - he said of all his rifles, that one was shooting real well so he just shot it in the nationals.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

So, I'd not agree that this "says a lot about the 260" per the OP. It says a lot about Sherry. PERIOD.</div></div>

Bingo. I thought the same thing when I read the first post before any replies had been made. If I use Tigers clubs or drive Gordon's car or wear Labron's shoes it's not going to make me beat them at a sport they have spent years perfecting. Same here. You can use the same but you won't get the same results without the hard work behind it.

I have an old saying about things like this:

"Its not the racecar you drive, but how good you can drive it."

I shot against her mom 10 years ago. Sherri had some great coaches and mentors along the way. Not to mention the "Shooting Genes".

9H,

Never meant to downplay the shooter, but winners don't use poor/inferior equipment in any competition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

So, I'd not agree that this "says a lot about the 260" per the OP. It says a lot about Sherry. PERIOD.</div></div>

Bingo. I thought the same thing when I read the first post before any replies had been made. If I use Tigers clubs or drive Gordon's car or wear Labron's shoes it's not going to make me beat them at a sport they have spent years perfecting. Same here. You can use the same but you won't get the same results without the hard work behind it. </div></div>

Too true but what she used is important in the market place. I've always been amazed by the number of people who deceive themselves by thinking that using identical equipment as the winner of an event will result in an instant improvement in their own performance. These people exist in huge numbers and marketing experts depend upon them when they can exploit their product because Jack or Jill blew away the competition with a Loudenboomer rifle chambered in 30mm Piddlepopper.

Sherry's win will sell a lot of .260 rifles which is good for the gun makers, factory and custom. Then the bandwagon people will be off to another cartridge/rifle combination as soon as another notable event is won by someone else.

We should be thankful for such people as they help to keep the price of our guns down and maybe we also benefit when we pick up their barely used rifles for a bargain price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5BR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">9H,

Never meant to downplay the shooter, but winners don't use poor/inferior equipment in any competition. </div></div>

Sure they do.

I shot a 308 with 155s and irons Saturday in a 600 any/any match against scoped magnums. I beat the closest scoped magnum, in the hands of a High Master, by 6 points while carding a 597-37X for Match Winner laying side-by-side on the same relay. Us misguided Service Rifle shooters routinely trounce Match Rifle shooters with adjustable rifles, a hot rod chambering, lighter triggers, and adjustable aperture sights.

Your argument holds zero water.

9H,

Not many people have a Kung Fu Grip on a 308
wink.gif

I have outshot rifles when shooting pistols. So what. Did I ever say the 308 was junk? Or that Magnums were superior?

I think your twisting things here.

Have a great day sir, and nice shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Ya, but the only thing WE can do to look like Sherri is use the 260REM, so stop crushing our dreams man!
</div></div>

LOL! That's funny.

I think you twisting it a bit too 9H. You are still using the best components availbe for your type of shooting. i.e. It is not like you are using 110 grain Berger or Sierra bullets.

Sherri is the kind of girl that makes me consider resigning my commission.

As for 9H's position on the issue, I have to say I agree with him. I shot my first ever F Class match last weekend. I was shooting a pawn shop rifle with factory ammo and I beat at least three shooters who were using custom guns, "tweaked" handloads and very high-end optics. My Steyr is no slouch gun, but it is no Surgeon, either. The shooter means a lot more than the gun.

Now, I do think there is a limit to how much skill can overcome inferior equipment. Give Tubbs or Wigger a Mosin with hundred-year-old surplus ammo and a newbie with a GAP .308 and a 20x USO will likely beat them at 600. But a 1/2 MOA shooter with a 2 MOA rifle is going to be more effective than a 2 MOA shooter with a 1/2 MOA rifle.

That said, I will still keep a close eye on what top-level shooters use. I can--and will--use every legal competitive advantage I can. The .260 has a lot to recommend it, and the attention given to it by the AMU certainly doesn't hurt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stiletto raggio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sherri is the kind of girl that makes me consider resigning my commission.

As for 9H's position on the issue, I have to say I agree with him. I shot my first ever F Class match last weekend. I was shooting a pawn shop rifle with factory ammo and I beat at least three shooters who were using custom guns, "tweaked" handloads and very high-end optics. My Steyr is no slouch gun, but it is no Surgeon, either. The shooter means a lot more than the gun.

Now, I do think there is a limit to how much skill can overcome inferior equipment. Give Tubbs or Wigger a Mosin with hundred-year-old surplus ammo and a newbie with a GAP .308 and a 20x USO will likely beat them at 600. But a 1/2 MOA shooter with a 2 MOA rifle is going to be more effective than a 2 MOA shooter with a 1/2 MOA rifle.

That said, I will still keep a close eye on what top-level shooters use. I can--and will--use every legal competitive advantage I can. The .260 has a lot to recommend it, and the attention given to it by the AMU certainly doesn't hurt. </div></div>

Be it via Sherry's use or the AMU, the fact that it is a 260 is an "oh by the way...".

Need I remind us that she is the ONLY AMU shooter to use a Match Rifle during NRA week... we are talking exception here, not some grand scheme hatched by the AMU involving the 260.

I was there when Alex shot his F-Class match BTW. He came in second out of 8 shooters, and the winner was a 2 year vet of the sport coming on strong and shooting good scores. There were a mix of new and relatively seasoned F-Class shooters making up the 6 he placed ahead of. Just two days before the match Alex and I were checking the zero on his rifle at 200 and working with him a bit on execution to produce a repeatable POI. He had windage pretty well figured out but still was having some elevation issues when we ran out of daylight. He was shooting with a borrowed bipod and bag, for the first time off a bipod.

Fast forward to Saturday - newly bought bipod, improvised then borrowed rear bag, and he shot 3 very consistent and respectable 600 F-Class scores (along with some bum ammo for the third string) with his pawn shop rifle/scope/ring combo.

I can only imagine what his score would have been with the 260
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A few years ago Kent Reeve won the LR Championship shooting a K98 Mauser actioned rifle in 300WM. I asked him why he shot that - he said of all his rifles, that one was shooting real well so he just shot it in the nationals. </div></div>

Quite regularly I find myself on the firing line right beside Kent. He is an amazing marksman, no matter what tool he has in his hands. My thinking is that most are born with it; but very, very few actually learn how to use it.

Sherri has a very unique reamer . I will ask her and Mid if I can post the print. Thanks Dave Kiff