• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shipping firearm (different issue)

timmyc99

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2010
DC
I know there was just a post about this, but I didn't want to post-hijack, as I have a different question. Here is my question. I'm looking to ship an SBR to myself in another state. I'm moving. I'm filling out the NFA 5320.20 for transport and need to note what carrier will carry the rifle. Here is my question: I know that it is legal to ship your firearm to yourself - the ATF has commented on it explicitly. Both UPS and FedEx, though, state that they will only ship a firearm to an FFL, collector, licensee, etc - but it seems that it should only apply to the case in which the firearm is going to be changing hands, which is not happening in this case. I think these policies must have recently changed, as I FedExed a rifle to myself just last summer without an issue. I do have a C&R, so *technically* I am a collector. This is a very annoying situation. Transporting it myself is not really an option. Thanks.

From the ATF website

May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? | ATF

May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Yep, I had seen that all... my question, though, is which carrier I can use to ship the rifle. USPS says no SBRs, and FedEx/UPS have the stipulations regarding eligible recipients (as mentioned, FFL, collector, licensee, etc). I was wondering if anyone had experience with USPS/FedEX with shipping themselves a firearm recently. Thanks for the help.