• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shipping Firearms via UPS

Hello ... Newbie Here,

I have sold a few guns on a online auction site and used ShipMyGun as has already been discussed here to ship the firearms to the new owners chosen FFL Dealer.

When I sell a firearm I always put in the online ad that the buyer pays actual shipping and insurance and that I use ShipMyGun if they want to save a bundle on shipping charges. You can insure the firearm with ShipMyGun also.

Here's what I do if it helps:
1) I go into ShipMyGun.com and start a label to the area of where the gun is going. You will choose rifle or handgun and how much insurance you want.
2) As you proceed through the process you will choose a FFL Dealer in the area of your choice. Some of the choices will be "Preferred Dealers" and some will not be. All any FFL Dealer has to do to become "preferred" is email them a signed copy of their FFL just once and they are in from thereafter.
3) I get through to the end and see how much it is going to cost and I copy it and send it as a quote to the buyer and then update the totals. I then back out of the ShipMyGun process without actually buying the label at that time and wait on payment from the buyer. Once payment is received I go back in and purchase the label. ShipMyGun will soon email you the label, you can print it and attach it to the secured firearm and drop it off at an actual UPS Hub ... not a store.

*Tip: When you walk into the UPS Hub with a package bearing a label from ShipMyGun I don't say anything unless they ask I just hand them the package. You are legit and lawful in the transaction. At the most they will usually just scan the label and look in their system to see that it's paid for and tell you it's good to go. When ShipMyGun emails you the label there will be other papers in with it that I print off also and take in case you would have a new UPS agent that is not aware that they have a contract with ShipMyGun. The additional paperwork will help the agent quickly clear it up with a phone call.

Anyone sending a rifle by regular UPS knows the outrageous costs and ShipMyGun will save you a pile of money. I'm estimating it costs you about a 1/4th of what it would normally cost you with just a few more steps.
And the first shill for ship my gun has arrived.

Before this new rule from UPS, I would simply go into my account at ups.com and fill out to have a package delivered with insurance to the recipient FFL. I would then request for a pickup at my house and the next day my UPS driver would stop by and knock on the door, I would hand him the package along with the insurance paperwork (anything insured over $1000 required a Hub or Driver signature) and off it would go.

I am curious, with shipmygun.com do you have the same option, can you hand the package to a UPS driver with paperwork or do you have to go to the hub. I ask because my hub is not nearby and quite a hassle to get to so would prefer to avoid that.
Sorry, but I’m not sure on that one if it’s possible for I always drop my firearm off at the hub which is a half hour away.
I have called ShipMyGun a few times and they were always quick to answer a question … (859) 559-4613.
I’ve found that these UPS agents freak out when a Non-FFL guy like myself goes in for an estimate to ship a firearm so dealing with ShipMyGun makes it all the better on that end also.
ShipMyGun hopefully will continue to skirt this new political garbage out now being they are an FFL subsidiary of Buds Guns with a contract.
It really does save you a pile of money shipping a firearm.

Reactions: Glassaholic
Sorry, but I’m not sure on that one if it’s possible for I always drop my firearm off at the hub which is a half hour away.
I have called ShipMyGun a few times and they were always quick to answer a question … (859) 559-4613.
I’ve found that these UPS agents freak out when a Non-FFL guy like myself goes in for an estimate to ship a firearm so dealing with ShipMyGun makes it all the better on that end also.
ShipMyGun hopefully will continue to skirt this new political garbage out now being they are an FFL subsidiary of Buds Guns with a contract.
It really does save you a pile of money shipping a firearm.
Appreciate that, thank you. I've never had anyone freak out because I've never told anyone what I'm shipping, I print the labels at home and just drop off.

Shipped my packages yesterday. One package contained the barreled action with trigger and a magazine. The other contained the stock to be inletted, pillared and bedded plus the bottom metal.

I compared the cost of using ShipMyGun with with local firearm store. The shipping charges with UPS were identical. My local firearms store had a handling fee but it was worth it to me for not having to hassle with UPS and being able to state clearly the package contained a firearm. However, to add to the amusement, my local firearms store does not ship firearm parts. Just their policy. So off to USPS with the stock and bottom metal. No problem at the USPS with firearm parts. The USPS would, again with the contents clearly stated. The overall cost was about $50 more than in the old days of shipping through UPS at a UPS Customer Center. But with a firearm worth about $3500 what is $50?

I gave thanks to the Vulcan that going forward I will be shipping very few firearms and firearm parts, perhaps none.

The USPS would, again with the contents clearly stated.
Am I missing some law that was passed? I've never had to state the contents of a package I'm shipping from UPS, Fedex or USPS??? Not even when I ship ammo with hazmat sticker, always just drop it off and they take it without question.

Reactions: EWS
Has anybody shipped a gun lately and have any experience with these new rules? I'm trying to ship a rifle thru UPS. Typicvally I would take it to a UPS customer care center, and it would ship fine to a FFL.

Has anybody shipped a gun lately and have any experience with these new rules? I'm trying to ship a rifle thru UPS. Typicvally I would take it to a UPS customer care center, and it would ship fine to a FFL.
My brother tried shipping a gun to me but they said no. I had to have him go through ship my gun. He had no problems doing it through them, but had to drop it off at a UPS hub.

My brother tried shipping a gun to me but they said no. I had to have him go through ship my gun. He had no problems doing it through them, but had to drop it off at a UPS hub.
Has anyone tried scheduling a pickup from a UPS driver, that should be just as good as center drop off. Anything insured over $1k I have to have driver sign for, cannot use UPS store for that even.

I got on the UPS website after a shooting buddy told me there were new restrictions on shipping firearms. In the past, I shipped rifles to out of state buyers through their FFL without any issues. The UPS website indicates I cannot do this anymore and have to have my local FFL ship to the out of state FFL handling the buyer's transfer.

Went in Monday to ship a pistol with Shipmygun.com through UPS. Turned into a mess as the idiot at the "customer center" said I couldn't and it needed to be a RS label for return. I was on the phone for an hour with SMG and UPS at the store and finally left. I fired off an email to the head of accounts at UPS and he responded the next day and has been great and over the past few days been working to teach the idiots in Raleigh that it is ok and sent me an email yesterday that it was taken care of. Supposedly this happens a few times around the country but most ship it no problem. So I have a call into the supervisor at the Raleigh UPS to make 100% sure it has been taken care of.

Depends if you want to go by the rules or try and skirt them and hope the package doesn't get lost or stolen or now when they are actively looking for firearms confiscated. It's a new system out there. There are UPS rules that you can not ship them so having been dealing with them before shipping and seeing the mess I sure as hell would not ship one without disclosing the contents and have to deal with the consequences. Roll the dice and take your chances.

Depends if you want to go by the rules or try and skirt them and hope the package doesn't get lost or stolen or now when they are actively looking for firearms confiscated. It's a new system out there. There are UPS rules that you can not ship them so having been dealing with them before shipping and seeing the mess I sure as hell would not ship one without disclosing the contents and have to deal with the consequences. Roll the dice and take your chances.
Okay, maybe I've misunderstood before :oops:

This is from the ATF (http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_09/27cfr478_09.html)
*********************************************************************************************************************************

You must ship to an FFL holder:

Federal law requires all modern firearms be shipped to a holder of a valid Federal Firearms License (FFL). Any person who is legally allowed to own a firearm is legally allowed to ship it to an FFL holder for any legal purpose (including sale or resale).

Here is what the ATF "Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide"' (ATF P 5300.4) says:

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 178.31, 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]
(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.
[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]
*********************************************************************************************************************************

So help me understand, if I have a UPS driver pickup a rifle I've packaged and shipping to an FFL and I tell the driver "this is a rifle", shouldn't that satisfy the requirements of the law? I am very confused (just the way the Left likes it) as to what all the new shipping regulations (not federal regulations, but those imposed by the shipping companies themselves) are and how they affect customers.

In going to UPS website, I find the following (https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/s...egulated-items/prohibited-items/firearms.page):

Shipping Firearm Products​

Definitions:
“Firearm” will have the same definition as set forth in Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53, of the United States Code.
“Firearm Part” is any part or component of a Firearm that does not by itself meet the definition of a “Firearm.” By way of example only, Firearm Parts include, but are not limited to, barrels, stocks, grips, firing pins, sights, and magazines/clips.
“Firearm Products” means Firearms and Firearm Parts. The term Firearm Product does not include scopes.
UPS accepts packages containing Firearm Products for shipment only as a contractual service and only from Shippers who are licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code) to authorized recipients, as outlined in the approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products.

So if I'm reading this correctly, UPS is saying that if I have a barrel, I (personally) cannot ship this item to a person even though it is perfectly legal for me to do so? They do not list "scope" but I assume that is a firearm part just as much as a sight is, I am guessing this would not be allowed either? When the heck did UPS go fully commie!?!!!

So basically, avoid UPS for everything.

Fedex website says this (https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/how-to-ship-firearms.html):

Steps for how to ship firearms​

Shippers with a Federal Firearm License
Only customers holding a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and federal, state, or local government agencies may ship firearms with FedEx. Customers holding an FFL must enter into an approved FedEx Firearms Shipping Compliance Agreement before shipping any firearms with FedEx. Also, you must be an approved firearm shipper with a signed contract on file with FedEx. For more information, contact your FedEx account executive.
Nonlicensee shippers
Nonlicensees are prohibited from shipping firearms with FedEx.

Similar to UPS, Fedex is saying a firearm must be shipped from an FFL and that FFL must have an agreement with Fedex? Again, when did these new rules come into play as this is not what federal law states, maybe I've been oblivious the past few years but I had no idea about these new rules until recently. At least Fedex does not say anything about a firearm part, so apparently you can ship a barrel or a scope through Fedex without the Marxist oversight that UPS is imposing.

And who'd have thought the the federal governments own USPS is the most lenient! Yes, USPS prohibits shipping pistols, but they do allow non-FFL holders to ship rifles (https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm#ep345833)

432.3 Rifles and Shotguns​

Except under 431.2, unloaded rifles and shotguns are mailable. Mailers must comply with the rules and regulations under 27 CFR, Part 478, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and not ineligible for mailing. The following conditions also apply:

1. Subject to state, territory, or district regulations, rifles and shotguns may be mailed without restriction when intended for delivery within the same state of mailing. These items must:
    1. Bear a “Return Service Requested” endorsement.
    2. Be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
  2. A rifle or shotgun owned by a non-FFL may be mailed outside the owner‘s state of residence by the owner to himself or herself, in care of another person in the other state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. These mailpieces must:
    1. Be addressed to the owner.
    2. Include the “in the care of” endorsement immediately preceding the name of the applicable temporary custodian.
    3. Be opened by the rifle or shotgun owner only.
    4. Be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
  3. Mailing of rifles and shotguns between licensed FFL dealers, manufacturers, or importers are not restricted. The Postal Service recommends that these items be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
  4. Rifles and shotguns may be mailed by a non-FFL owner domestically to a FFL dealer, manufacturer, or importer in any state. These items must be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.

What an absolute PITA the shippers have made this, how much the left has infiltrated every part of our society is alarming, 2020 proved that to all those who may have been in doubt. Hopefully next weeks elections will send a massive wakeup call to the overreach of the left and begin to change a lot of this for the better.

Yup they made it a pain in the ass. Nothing to do with the federal laws but with their company rules.

When I ship a rifle, my local UPS requires a copy of the receiving FFL, has to physically see the rifle before taping up, and has to inspect the box to ensure no ammo is present with the firearm. Return address has to be present, and no identifying marking on the outside of the box.

That's because you tell them it's a rifle. Tell them it's something else.

I was refused to ship a scope this week. And the clerk was a smart ass to boot.
A couple of weeks ago I went to our UPS hub and they wouldn’t ship a wood stock for me , they told me NO gun parts at all ! I had to ship it USPS mail , so I went to UPS website and they changed their policy and dont ship gun parts anymore.

A couple of weeks ago I went to our UPS hub and they wouldn’t ship a wood stock for me , they told me NO gun parts at all ! I had to ship it USPS mail , so I went to UPS website and they changed their policy and dont ship gun parts anymore.
I think it’s subject to local interpretation.
I can still ship guns but they must be picked up by driver at my office. Cannot carry to hub. Seems odd.

I haven't had any problems shipping any gun parts. I use pirate ship and select whatever carrier it recommends. Then I go drop it off at a shipping store that is an authorized USPS, UPS, Fedex, DHL, etc store. It seems like when I do check hazardous material, it defaults to USPS though.

Yup they made it a pain in the ass. Nothing to do with the federal laws but with their company rules.

Yeah. It's just new company policy. It's complete BS in my opinion.

UPS and FedEx will see very little business from me in the future.

Just my experience with UPS except I bailed and shipped through my local firearms store. However, the gunsmith to whom I shipped the barreled action informed me that because the firearm was shipped from an FFL it has to be shipped back to the firearms store which will mean another transfer fee.

As I stated previously misrepresenting the contents is a felony offense. But if you life is dull, go for it!

Further intel. The barreled action shipped through UPS took 6 days to reach Ohio from Oregon. I shipped the stock through the USPS and it took two days. No problem with shipping firearms parts through the USPS, at least at my local Post Office. Said Post Office will also ship firearms if firearm is in a locked case, the outer box has no marks identifying the contents as a firearm and the class of shipping can have tracking/signature on delivery. So will try USPS for my next shipment.

Hey you do you and with Shipmygun.com you do state that it's a firearm in the package. It's not a secret. Speaking with them and the senior accounts manager at UPS my experience above was not the norm and happens very rarely. It went right out the second time I went up. Not sure if it was a misunderstanding or a liberal leaning of the clerk/hub but it was corrected. I will use them again if I need to ship a rifle to a smith but with this new rule I am more than happy I have started using actions which use prefit barrels. LOL

I just closed my UPS account, since I can no longer legally ship anything firearm related (I am not an FFL) through them, what is the purpose, plus one of the best ways to make an impact on companies who employ such strategies is to hit them where it hurts - financially, so I will take my business elsewhere. How sad that a federal government institution (USPS) appears to be the only one that is following federal guidelines, UPS and Fedex have gone complete Left on us. If I have to ship parts - USPS, if I have to ship rifle - USPS and declare contents, if I have to ship a pistol then it's only through FFL, if I have to ship ammo I guess I'll use Fedex even though their policies are not much better, they at least don't seem to be raising as much of a stink as UPS is.

So since a riflescope is considered a "sight" of a rifle and these are prohibited by UPS, I am guessing if I ship a ZCO and insure for $4000 and it gets lost or damaged and UPS finds out it was a rifle scope, they will not honor the insurance - to me that defeats the whole purpose...

I just closed my UPS account, since I can no longer legally ship anything firearm related (I am not an FFL) through them, what is the purpose, plus one of the best ways to make an impact on companies who employ such strategies is to hit them where it hurts - financially, so I will take my business elsewhere. How sad that a federal government institution (USPS) appears to be the only one that is following federal guidelines, UPS and Fedex have gone complete Left on us. If I have to ship parts - USPS, if I have to ship rifle - USPS and declare contents, if I have to ship a pistol then it's only through FFL, if I have to ship ammo I guess I'll use Fedex even though their policies are not much better, they at least don't seem to be raising as much of a stink as UPS is.

So since a riflescope is considered a "sight" of a rifle and these are prohibited by UPS, I am guessing if I ship a ZCO and insure for $4000 and it gets lost or damaged and UPS finds out it was a rifle scope, they will not honor the insurance - to me that defeats the whole purpose...
No scopes are not a firearm part and it says so in their new rule. You can still ship them.

No scopes are not a firearm part and it says so in their new rule. You can still ship them.
So scopes aren't but metal sights are? That makes no sense at all, both attach to a rifle, both are used to aim... still not going to use them for shipping.

So scopes aren't but metal sights are? That makes no sense at all, both attach to a rifle, both are used to aim... still not going to use them for shipping.

Yup stupid but not my rule. Ups rarely makes sense.

So out of curiosity. I just placed a return for a part from a company I frequently buy firearm parts from, they sent me a prepaid label for UPS, accordingly to UPS reg's, this part falls under their prohibited items list, so will UPS destroy the part if they figure out what it is? I suppose that is for the company to work out as they were the ones who sent me the label, but what a mess they are making of all this.

So out of curiosity. I just placed a return for a part from a company I frequently buy firearm parts from, they sent me a prepaid label for UPS, accordingly to UPS reg's, this part falls under their prohibited items list, so will UPS destroy the part if they figure out what it is? I suppose that is for the company to work out as they were the ones who sent me the label, but what a mess they are making of all this.
No. It’s a return and fine.

This all sounds like a bunch of runa round horse shit to me. Send it as golf clubs, and put the persons name on the box it's going to. And send it to the ffl address. Call the dealer tell him you attentioned it to whom ever bought the firearm. Done.

Pistol, box it up and send same way but doesn't have to be said it's golf clubs.

Ammo....wrap that shit up so it doesn't rattle with Styrofoam. And it's fragile....marbles. 😁

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01
don't put up with it start your own shipping company and get them where it hurts in the pocket . you can do it I believe in you ...

don't put up with it start your own shipping company and get them where it hurts in the pocket . you can do it I believe in you ...
That is the American way, at least before big tech decided to monopolize everything.

These shipping problems are interesting and also very concerning considering The idiots we have running this country and their attempts to eliminate our 2nd amendment rights. I have shipped several guns this year by Fed X and Ups no questions asked . Boxed them up, paid shipping and off they went. Came back to me the same way. I'm sure this could all change over night. Thats why we still say. "Save your Confederate money. The South will rise again"
Not to mention the post office throughing republican ballots in the trash.
Geeze you can't trust anyone these days!

Dumping an old thread. I attempted to sell my scorpion through guns.com. The website provided me a label that met all th we requirements. I took it to my local UPS service center, and was told that they don’t accept firearms under any circumstances. I explained to him that this label was going to a licensed FFL and met all the requirements. I even read the policy out loud to him and he straight refused me. I guess I’m keeping my scorpion after all. Made me really mad.

Was that shipmyguns.com you used? If so you need to contact the person at UPS on the paperwork they sent you and he will handle it and get them to ship it.

Was that shipmyguns.com you used? If so you need to contact the person at UPS on the paperwork they sent you and he will handle it and get them to ship it.
No guns.com gave me a label. I tried to contact the guy on the letter they gave me but he didn’t pick up. The guy at the counter was really aggressive with me and honestly I just didn’t want to deal with it.

You need to contact him or email him as those ups workers need to know the rules and learn.

Is this the same person they told you to contact?

Jason Tharp

UPS Senior Account Manager

[email protected]

270-557-9174

If it is a Scorpion rifle, send it via USPS. I shipped a Marlin guide gun last week. Insured, sent adult signature, blah, blah - $50. I showed them the FFL where it was going. Super easy.

Bit of a necro thread, but how does this work for returning a gun to the manufacturer for repair/warranty? When I contacted Beretta all they did was send me a UPS label to return the rifle to their service center, given all of the above that seems like it might be a no-go.

Worse yet the actual instructions on the label they sent say it can be taken to any UPS dropoff........UPS customer care center, UPS Store, Staples, Office Depot or scheduled for pickup etc. :rolleyes:

Returns to the manufacturer is fine. I would bring it to a hub though.

Reactions: Badjujuu
Bit of a necro thread, but how does this work for returning a gun to the manufacturer for repair/warranty? When I contacted Beretta all they did was send me a UPS label to return the rifle to their service center, given all of the above that seems like it might be a no-go.

Worse yet the actual instructions on the label they sent say it can be taken to any UPS dropoff........UPS customer care center, UPS Store, Staples, Office Depot or scheduled for pickup etc. :rolleyes:
You need to take it to a hub but your results may vary. The local hub I’ve dealt with has given even local FFLs trouble with shipping things. I ended up just paying to have an FFL send it back for me because I simply couldn’t get through to them. They even gave my friend trouble for sending a Magpul stock to someone.

Luckily for me I have a hub nearby. I've recently shipped a few things with SMG an it went fine

I know it stated not to, but just schedule a pickup. It's a policy, not a violation of law. Likely the driver won't even ask. And I wouldn't tell him either.

Reactions: Pipefitter I’m
if you already have a label, just search for "UPS drop off locations" or somesuch. Avoid "UPS stores" and similar franchise outfits; rather, find "UPS Access Point" locations in other businesses. For example, the one I use is in an auto parts store, and I've never had any trouble. It's worthwhile noting, though, that I haven't needed to ship anything since the new UPS policy was implemented.

I have considered the option of saying nothing about what I'm shipping. Had UPS lose a barreled action. They eventually paid for a new rifle. If I had gone the stealth route, I'm not sure I'd have gotten paid.

The difference is they know what is in his prelabeled return as the manufacturer sent him the label.

I have considered the option of saying nothing about what I'm shipping. Had UPS lose a barreled action. They eventually paid for a new rifle. If I had gone the stealth route, I'm not sure I'd have gotten paid.

If you ship firearms or even firearm parts via UPS without the proper FFL associated account, you are violating their shipping policies and you won't get paid a dime if the items are damaged or lost in transit.

The only firearm related items that you are allowed to ship via UPS now without an FFL contractual shipping agreement are optics and scopes, there's a specific exception for those in their policies. Even something as innocent as a bare stock, picatinny rail, or even a plastic AR grip are considered firearms parts and are now required to be shipped from an account with an FFL agreement.

The difference is they know what is in his prelabeled return as the manufacturer sent him the label.

Correct. The manufacturer that sent you the label has an FFL shipping account with UPS and they generated the label with that account, so it's legit and covered. Per UPS policy, any shipment originating from an FFL associated account needs to be picked up by UPS or dropped off directly at a UPS terminal / shipping hub. That excludes 3rd party associated places like UPS stores. So you need to call and schedule a pickup or take it directly to your local UPS hub.

I have an 03 FFL and have considered getting a firearms and firearms parts account with UPS since UPS is so much cheaper than USPS for large packages, but the UPS FFL contract requirement of having an auditable shipping legality and compliance training program on file is a bit onerous for an individual or small business without a legal department.