• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report Shooter Ballistics app now for iPhone

Re: Shooter Ballistics app now for iPhone

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1st.. look at your chart.. at what distance does your round hit 1350fps?

if 223 or 308 that will "probably" 600 to 900y
if 260/6.5 that may be 1200+

get some 3x3 cardboard or "small targets" like clays... set them up at 600y 700 800 900 1000 get REAL world dope for your gun at those distances if 6.5, you may want dope to 1300 and that real info on this page

IMG_0374.PNG

u r now good 2 go..

this takes your "real life" and matches the data to the "predicted" to give you a more true curve.. </div></div>

Just curious, do you have to "true" your load at 1350fps or are there other velocity points that it can be done? For instance if you're shooting a .260 and don't have access to a 1200 yds range, how would you "true" your load?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1st.. look at your chart.. at what distance does your round hit 1350fps?

if 223 or 308 that will "probably" 600 to 900y
if 260/6.5 that may be 1200+

get some 3x3 cardboard or "small targets" like clays... set them up at 600y 700 800 900 1000 get REAL world dope for your gun at those distances if 6.5, you may want dope to 1300 and that real info on this page

IMG_0374.PNG

u r now good 2 go..

this takes your "real life" and matches the data to the "predicted" to give you a more true curve.. </div></div>

Just curious, do you have to "true" your load at 1350fps or are there other velocity points that it can be done? For instance if you're shooting a .260 and don't have access to a 1200 yds range, how would you "true" your load? </div></div>

do u "have" to?... no.. but u will get you best long range data from it.. if not, u need to get to the longest range you will be shooting..

Let's suppose you don't have a ballistic app, is there another way of truing your load without sending 100s of rounds down range?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let's suppose you don't have a ballistic app, is there another way of truing your load without sending 100s of rounds down range? </div></div>

What's cheaper, a ten dollar app, or 100's of rounds? A ballistic app can't replace real world experience, but it can sure shorten the learning curve. I have shot LOTS with dope derived from the shooter app, and it has been reliable out to 2000 yards.

Over Christmas my dad set up dope for his 338 Edge as I walked him through what data was important and what was not so important. From a 100 yard zero he dialed his come-ups for a mile (1760) and on his first shot he hit 6 inches right of the target and dead center from top to bottom. I gave him a wind correction and he was on it with shot #2. No walking it on. No calculating inches to MOA or MILS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let's suppose you don't have a ballistic app, is there another way of truing your load without sending 100s of rounds down range? </div></div>

If your good at math you could figure your drop with some equations. There are also free online ballistic programs you could use. I think JBM has one or check out www.biggameinfo.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let's suppose you don't have a ballistic app, is there another way of truing your load without sending 100s of rounds down range?</div></div>

well, start with you basic info use jbm's site
get some 600+ yard real world dope, shouldnt take more then 5 or 10 rounds.

u can use this page http://ballistics.gseven.com/ "u need to register to save your loads", it has a truing option or on JBM, u can "tweek" the fps to match you true data at "X" distance

I like the program. It is terrific that it does so many things so well.

Even after reading the IOS Maunal, I have a couple of questions.

1) When setting the Wind Angle, you enter where the wind is COMING FROM (I.E. the wind is moving from left to right, so enter 270 degress).

But, when you enter the Lead Angle, you enter where the target is MOVING FROM (I.E. the target is moving left to right, so you enter 90 degrees).

1a) Why aren't these set up to work the same?

1b)If I am shooting a moving target to add the Wind Lead and the Movement Lead to figure out the total amount to Lead my shot? I was hoping when you enabled the Target Lead it would add that to the Wind Lead so you didn't have to switch screens to figure your shot.

2) I don't see a place to enable Auto Latitude for the Coriolis Effect. The manual mentions it, but I don't see it anywhere. Does anyone know where to enable this?

3) The iphone version has the very cool Solutions section, but the iPad version doesn't seem to have this despite having more room on the screen. Did I miss it?

Thanks...

New to smart phone and apps for Droid's and iphones. Still am using NightForce ex.bal. on discontinued HP ipaq. Works good for me. Will have to try out Shooter Ballistics app for my smart phone. From what I see here it looks pretty good.

how does this app compare to the ballistic solver software that out there such as HORUS? obviously its night and day as far as price but what im wondering is with this software can you get effective data to make long range shots where your round becomes sub sonic and spin drift comes heavily into play? i would imagine its a good software because it has Bryan Litz's name on it, just wondering how it compares to the expensive ballistic solvers.

Also does this App have a truing feature on it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: allghilliedup04</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how does this app compare to the ballistic solver software that out there such as HORUS? obviously its night and day as far as price but what im wondering is with this software can you get effective data to make long range shots where your round becomes sub sonic and spin drift comes heavily into play? i would imagine its a good software because it has Bryan Litz's name on it, just wondering how it compares to the expensive ballistic solvers.

Also does this App have a truing feature on it?</div></div>

1 GREAT... as good or greater accuracy
2 yes..

Sounds like I might have to purchase this... when I first heard about it it seemed too good to be true but I have yet to hear a bad thing about it.

ill put this here, Lowlight posted this in another thread..

"Truing" your ballistic software

“Lowlight”
You can calibrate most software and is simple enough too do.
Some of the elements in the video “Magpul” are correct for other software, like actually shooting to a range that puts the round around 1300fps. (example)
The steps are simple enough, calibrate your scope and if necessary adjust the software using the sight offset, click value, etc. This will work with most software to include the iPhone Apps.
Then, calculate actual drop. You can start at 300 yards to begin. At this range you can adjust your BC if necessary. The BC will move based on the rifle shooting it. For example BulletFlight has an option in the utilities area to adjust BC based on Drop. it will give you a new G1 or G7 which you can then input into your data section.
Lastly you can calibrate the drop out to 800 yards like the video. Checking at distance is the final step, but you should have at least choreographed your load to start with, if you haven't then some software does have functions to adjust it based on drop.
Certain software has a DK function to bend the curve, this is used in place of adjusting the BC or MV, so you can do it a number of ways with a number of different software solutions, not just the Horus. Remember he was hired by Horus in the beginning to work and sell Horus methods and products, so of course they are not going to inform you of other methods.
Calibrating the system like above I have taken software like Field Firing Solutions and Patagonia LB3 out to distances beyond 2000 yards with very successful hit rates. Inside 1500m the first round hits where more consistent than when you didn't do it, and at 1000 yards and in it was too easy with a rifle like a 338LM.
The system calibration should be:
1. Muzzle Velocity using a chronograph
2. Scope calibration to at least 48"
3. Drop to 300 yards to tune with then
4. Drop to to 800 yards to fine tune.

Just bought this app and have been playing with it for an hour or so. It seems great. Is there any chance we could get the litz data for the 60 grain nosler ballistic tip in .224? It's a great hunting bullet.

First time using the app, the 1000 yard solution worked perfectly, and I really liked the velocity calibration option.

The more I use this app, the more I love it. I just started playing with the "powder temp" function. What a great idea! That was one thing that always bothered me with Ballistic FTE, I knew when I was shooting in 0 degree weather with a velocity I had verified on a 50 degree day, that things would be a little off.

There was nothing I could do about it until I got the Shooter app.

On the display there is MOA, iphy, and mils. What's iphy?

OK. Thanks for the info and the quick answer.

You really have to watch scopes and such that advertise MOA but are really IPHY. MOA is 1.047 inches at 100 yards and IPHY is ofcourse 1 inch at 100 yards. Once you get out a ways that .047 inches of difference really starts to rear it's ugly head...and if you don't know that your scope is in reality an IPHY scope..you may not know what's going wrong.

I always use MOA when shooting, my scope is a Nightforce 5.5-22X /MOA, I was just wondering what iphy stood for.

Thanks again for your help.

I just purchased the app for my new iphone and had a few questions for you guys running it on the iphone. When you access the program, does it constantly access the data network? I didn't notice this when I first opened the program, until after the first time I told it to load the atmospherics. I've even gone in to the settings on the iphone and turned off all the settings, and what it would populate just to see if it wouldn't access the data network. I still see it accessing the network. So I was curious if I missed this the first time and it always does this, or if it's a setting. Just curious, thank you for the assistance gentlemen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
4. Drop to 800 yards to fine tune.</div></div>

thanks for condensing this information; do you have a link to where Lowlight originally posted this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
4. Drop to 800 yards to fine tune.</div></div>

thanks for condensing this information; do you have a link to where Lowlight originally posted this?</div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3060899

Maybe most everyone has already figured this out, but while shooting at the LRPS monthly match I today I needed to determine the hold/lead for a moving target. In Shooter i punched in the angle and mover speed and hit calculate expecting to see the drift field change. It didn't change, in heat of the moment I forgot that one has to tap on the arrow in the upper right hand corner and select "show lead" to see the result.

I'm not complaining, I just wanted to share this so others might not make the same mistake as me. This has been a great tool, providing spot on data once I worked through some calibration.

just wondering if anyone's using it on an ipad2? i loaded the app but it just constantly show a blank page with nothing on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Acttacus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just wondering if anyone's using it on an ipad2? i loaded the app but it just constantly show a blank page with nothing on it.
</div></div>

I have it on the ipad 2 and it is working fine. Try downloading a free app and see if that gets things unstuck.

Thanks, I've been using my ipad2 for a while now, and every app I've downloaded works fine, except for Shooters.

Thanks for confirming that it does work for ipad2. I'll play around with it and see if I can figure it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have it on the ipad 2 and it is working fine. Try downloading a free app and see if that gets things unstuck.</div></div>

Just a suggestion, but shrink down the data that you have once you have your data in order. Then, you can make a series of laminated tags or discs that you can hang off your rig so all you need is distance to target and the wind value and you can then set the correct scope adjustments and send it. Worth its weight in gold and makes shooting between significant distances much faster and easier.

Has anyone run the program in IPHY? It does not show the other columns correctly. On the elevation line clicks, moa and mil operate off of the windage knob but not correctly of coarse. They do nothing when scrolling the elevation up and down.
The windage fields of moa, mils and clicks do not work at all. It will hang as well and requires exiting and re entering the gun and bullet to un hang the scrolling.
I've emailed Sean and assume he is correcting it. I'm on a gen 3 ipod with it. latest
os.

Haven't heard a word back from Sean. Have you all heard from him or Bryan as of
late? He hasn't acknowledged hearing from me.

Anybody else getting "missing parameters" when they try to sync Device to Web?

Seeing this after the most recent update...

Bryan

I am taking a graduate course on external ballistics with Dr Carlucci. We were discussing your program, does it use Siacci tables?

Thanks