• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up shooting at manatee gun range, Florida

Re: shooting at manatee gun range, Florida

The extinguishers are definitely fun to shoot! I hope they are still there this coming weekend
cool.gif

I did build them as far as installing the barrels, stocks, optics and rails. Both started out as stock Savage rifles with the accutrigger. I just wanted my rifles to be different and of course accurate.

I want to bring out some steel targets that I have lying around but I need to weld up a frame first. Any good designs you would recommend?

I'm still drooling about that U.S. Optics glass you have. Very Nice!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stayfrosty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The extinguishers are definitely fun to shoot! I hope they are still there this coming weekend
cool.gif

I did build them as far as installing the barrels, stocks, optics and rails. Both started out as stock Savage rifles with the accutrigger. I just wanted my rifles to be different and of course accurate.

I want to bring out some steel targets that I have lying around but I need to weld up a frame first. Any good designs you would recommend?

I'm still drooling about that U.S. Optics glass you have. Very Nice!

</div></div>

I dont know how often they put out the extinguishers, maybee those two on the left will survive as we didnt spot them until we were pretty much leaving....Good job on the putting those rifles together!

USO was soooo last year! LOL.... You mean the Schmidt and the Premier.
laugh.gif

Naples...wow...you drive about 2.5 hours dont ya! Dirt dart has some metal rebar frames that are an "A" frame shape...the only pic I found was this one... not sure if you can see how its made as you can only see 2 of the 4 legs.

Steel.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good shooting (and bullshitting) today fella's!!!!

Damn nice breakin out of the rut and going past 600 today too!

Alan, Im glad you got your build complete! She's looking good man, and shooting good too.
</div></div>

Another Awesome day at the range with you guys.

I NEED GLASS.
Good lord I coudnt see shit it was just a blur.
I couldnt even see bullet holes @ 100yds sighting her in.
I was just kind of guessing at what I was aiming at at 600.
It was just a white blur cause the 30" plate @ 1k was right behind it.
Looking through your glass made me sad and at the same time
appreciate the glass of a quality scope(s).

Had a chance to speak with Scott @ Liberty today and
Im thinking an IOR

When we going next?

AL

Sorry guys I missed the last outing. I hope I can make it next time but so far next month is looking busy for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joeyhotfizzle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry guys I missed the last outing. I hope I can make it next time but so far next month is looking busy for me. </div></div>

It sucks that your brand new shiney rifle is collecting dust! No worries man...sometimes you can make it...sometimes not. Happens to the best of us!

How about June 24th ?? Is that plenty of time to mark everybodys calendar?

Sounds good for me,now just need to load up some rounds or I'll be stuck shooting the boys .223.

James

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">24th is damn sure plenty of notice!

Looking forward to next time thought I'd like to get there sooner too! </div></div>

QQ... Do you wanna try to get out June 3rd? All my other weekends are booked.

I may be able to make the 3rd Dale. Seems like there is a family gathering that weekend though it may be on the 2nd.

I'll check it out and report back!

Any of you guys interested in a barely used Remington PSS? My favorite gun store manager is trying to sell his Brother in Law's rifle with a nice older Leupold Vari-X 3-9X x 40 Tactical scope. The reticle is plex.

Looks to be about ten years old but in very well cared for condition and not shot very much.

It;s in Tampa if anyone is interested and he's looking for $900.00 for the whole package including a Chicom bipod and a hard case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I may be able to make the 3rd Dale. Seems like there is a family gathering that weekend though it may be on the 2nd.

I'll check it out and report back! </div></div>

Im not going to be able to make it this weekend fella's. Im sick as dog shit.

Just checking in
Whats going on?.....How's everyone doing?

Something on this damn rifle is canted and I cant figure out what it is.....
So I ordered a Seekins base (NF on it now)and while ordering
had a hair brain idea of going with 8-40 screws instead.

Then I sapped a tap off in the receiver...
laugh.gif
knucklehead

no biggie drill it out and relocate.

But I did get a steal of a deal on a new SS 5-20x50
So cheap I couldnt pass it up.
And to compliment the scope I picked up some AADmounts.

AL

If I cant get this fucker right I see a new action in the near
future....Stiller Tac 30

Figured it out the holes are drilled off center.
Shes going out to Woody @ XRing Accuracy and Ill pick her
up the morn of the 24th

Everyone still down for the 24th?

AL

Breaking taps<span style="font-size: 26pt">SUCKS!!!</span>...

I hate it when I do it but I can usually extract them or bury them when installing door hardware. I typically chuck taps in a drill so it is really no surprise that this can happen. Surprising it happens so rarely!

On a rifle I have done little tapping and damn sure use a tap wrench. I have several
laugh.gif
They are just slow.

24th sounds good to me!

Im hoping to be back on before the 24th. Were up in Pigeon Forge TN on a camping trip. Im due back on the 23rd. Hopefully Ill still be able to make it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alnkal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Figured it out the holes are drilled off center.
Shes going out to Woody @ XRing Accuracy and Ill pick her
up the morn of the 24th

Everyone still down for the 24th?

AL</div></div>

One thing is for sure, Woody can get it handled. He is a helluva gunsmith. Nice guy too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im hoping to be back on before the 24th. Were up in Pigeon Forge TN on a camping trip. Im due back on the 23rd. Hopefully Ill still be able to make it!

</div></div>

Would ya'll mind if I joined ya?
smile.gif

Slightly off-topic, but are there any F-class Open matches happening (even informal matches) at the Manatee range?

I'm building an Open rifle and I need to decide on a stock. I'm hoping to get to see (and maybe fondle) a couple of different ones before I decide on what to buy.

I figure an Open match would be the best place to do that.

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eracer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Slightly off-topic, but are there any F-class Open matches happening (even informal matches) at the Manatee range?

I'm building an Open rifle and I need to decide on a stock. I'm hoping to get to see (and maybe fondle) a couple of different ones before I decide on what to buy.

Thanks.</div></div>

I have not heard anything about it personally, but you can check the website calendar.
http://www.manateegunclub.com/index_files/Calendar.htm
(hope this helps!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ren</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I may be able to make the 3rd Dale. Seems like there is a family gathering that weekend though it may be on the 2nd.

I'll check it out and report back! </div></div>

Im not going to be able to make it this weekend fella's. Im sick as dog shit.

</div></div>

By the way Ren, you feeling any better? Got the gongs at the 565 line posted up, and yes there are still a couple of fire extinguishers there!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steveoknievo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eracer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Slightly off-topic, but are there any F-class Open matches happening (even informal matches) at the Manatee range?

Thanks.</div></div>

I have not heard anything about it personally, but you can check the website calendar.
http://www.manateegunclub.com/index_files/Calendar.htm
(hope this helps!) </div></div>

Thanks. I don't know why I couldn't find that page - retarded I guess...
grin.gif

I see they have a 1000 yd. paper match on June 30th. I think I'll mosey on down there to check that one out.

This fucking rifle........
Southwest Ammo dropped the ball Im not getting ammo in time.
Seekins double shipped an order and charged me twice.
Cant relocate the holes because I supplied Woody with a
1pc base so its getting glued in....

I can always buy 175s at the range.

Im buying a new receiver and I already swapped out the factory barrel. I basicly traded the semi for a AICS 1.5.
Ren you were right I should have kept the MaTen......
Though I did get some nice glass which Im happy about.

Oh well its actually not really bothering me much cause Ive been
so damn busy lately with new members.

AL

Tac30 aw or Badger M2008?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alnkal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This fucking rifle........
Southwest Ammo dropped the ball Im not getting ammo in time.
Seekins double shipped an order and charged me twice.
Cant relocate the holes because I supplied Woody with a
1pc base so its getting glued in....

I can always buy 175s at the range.

Im buying a new receiver and I already swapped out the factory barrel. I basicly traded the semi for a AICS 1.5.
Ren you were right I should have kept the MaTen......
Though I did get some nice glass which Im happy about.

Oh well its actually not really bothering me much cause Ive been
so damn busy lately with new members.

AL

Tac30 aw or Badger M2008? </div></div>

Are you looking to get rid of the old action?
smile.gif

Stiller Tac30 gets my vote. The Badger looks too boxy for my taste YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steveoknievo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im hoping to be back on before the 24th. Were up in Pigeon Forge TN on a camping trip. Im due back on the 23rd. Hopefully Ill still be able to make it!

</div></div>

Would ya'll mind if I joined ya?
smile.gif
</div></div>

Not at all!

I'm trying to get there on the 24th. Need to get some loads worked up and I've been busy as a one armed paper hanger.

On a troubling note, the rains may not spare us Sunday.

Every time I see this thread on the forum list I start to think it's about shooting manatees. When it's not I get...sad.

That would be the Manitou silly!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...hKzbCQ&usg=AFQjCNEnkFetRqCDzf5yyM4ZsAKGingbrw
the-manitou_lead_jpg_595x325_crop_upscale_q851.jpg

Understandable of course as Manatees also come from ugly growths on the backs of unsuspecting people, spring free after they reach 2000 pounds or so and then slide, roll or slither their way to a nearby body of water where they plot their next move in their horrible life cycle.

manatee.jpg

Now all that said, either of them would be more capable of running things than our current president!

Still down for tomorrow?

Its going to be wet out.

I can skip it or not Im going down to XRing to pick up
my action so Ill be down there.
But if its pouring out like it was here yesterday that would
kinda suck.
Plus Ill have to buy ammo so if we skip it no biggie theres always
next weekend

Let me know what you guys want to do

AL

Steveo as of right now Im keeping the action but will let you
know if I sell it.

I'm thinking next weekend at this point. Looks like it's going to suck donkey balls tomorrow.

On the other hand, that means there may not be as many people out there and bullet trace should be really visible!

Indecision...

Im all for next weekend. Plus my ammo has shipped and it
will be here in time.

AL

Hey guys... I will not be able to make it tommorrow either (24th) We just got in a little bit ago and Ill be needing tommorrow to get squared away before the work week.

Ill try my hardest for next weekend. July 1st.

That sounds awesome that you fixed up the steel at 565 Steve! Ill be sure to test them out the next time I go!

Alan... Congrats on the new optic!!!! What action did you end up getting? I would have said Badger had I seen the question earlier... only cause they look awesome in the AI chassis. Your trigger will work just fine with it as well... and Woody should be able to handle the mill work needed for your chassis just fine.

BTW... the Smokie Mountains were awesome!

Laters

It hasn't stopped raining here in Tampa since last night. At least another 1.5 inches of rain.

I'm thinking the ride out to the targets down at Manatee would be a real adventure in mud bogging today!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It hasn't stopped raining here in Tampa since last night. At least another 1.5 inches of rain.

I'm thinking the ride out to the targets down at Manatee would be a real adventure in mud bogging today!
</div></div>

It's crazy how much rain we are getting.. I am very close to the range (about 30 minutes if I take my time) and we have had a downpour here. Roads flooded, ditches overflowing, etc. But that is to be expected with 60 year old drainage systems here!

Seriously though, we needed rain like this. Plus, it brings out those wild pigs as I'm sure you all know, and I have been in the mood for some shredded pork! >:)
Good ol' Mosin Nagant does work! The 150lb boar was shot in the jaw/lower face and it came out his right side. Little one took it to the right shoulder.

photo1.jpg

So we are going to reschedule to July 1st?

Nice work man!

Bet that little guy is particularly tasty!

What loads are you running in that Moisin? Interesting scope mount too!

I'd love to get out there on Sunday. I doubt I'll have time to put some loads together but I still have enough from previous loading sessions.

Supposed to be a little less humid and less chance of rain this weekend.

Thank you. =]

The load I am using is just factory stuff, but it worked pretty well. It's not loaded as hot as the milsurp stuff, it's Prvi Partizan PPU 7.62x54R 150grn SP. (Non Corrosive)

Scope mount is a "Rock Solid" scope mount. You can google it and find it I'm sure (not sure if you are allowed to post outside links here or I'd give you a link to it.)

I took it out to the Manatee Gun Club a few times and it shoots about 1.5 MOA at 100 so it's not great but for a beater hog rifle it gets the job done.

I would have to think Sunday is going to SUCK. After T.S Debby, the rain we got here amounted to 12" so I am sure it will be/is sticky as hell out there. Humid everywhere. *Sigh*

But, that's Florida I guess..

Sunday Sunday Sunday......Im in hot or not

Not to thrilled to shoot this rifle but on the brightside
I just nabbed a Badger M2008 and XRing (Woody) will do all the work. Nice guy by the way I got a chance to meet him last Sunday when I picked up my bent receiver.

Cant wait till she's done.

I have a feeling Ill just be doing alot of spotting for you guys so that
I can conserve ammo for the next trip with the new piece.....
grin.gif

AL

Hey Ren if you were ever thinking about Viperskins I picked some up (new color od fleck camo) and theyll be here tomorrow.
You can try it out see how it feels compared to the thumbhole.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alnkal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sunday Sunday Sunday......Im in hot or not

I just nabbed a Badger M2008 and XRing (Woody) will do all the work. Nice guy by the way I got a chance to meet him last Sunday when I picked up my bent receiver.

grin.gif

AL

Hey Ren if you were ever thinking about Viperskins I picked some up (new color od fleck camo) and theyll be here tomorrow.
You can try it out see how it feels compared to the thumbhole.</div></div>

I can tell you with confidence that Woody will take care of you. He does excellent work and stands by everything. He is a friend of mine and I cannot speak highly enough of his work.

I know it wasn't an invitation to me, but if you don't mind I would like to check out those skins!! They look very cool and comfortable. Do they require any modifications of the aluminum chassis, or do they use the existing holes?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alnkal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sunday Sunday Sunday......Im in hot or not

grin.gif

AL

You can try it out see how it feels compared to the thumbhole. </div></div>

Sweet... Thanks Alan. Hopefully Ill be out there, But after being gone for two weeks the amount of projects around the house is limitless! So after Saturday Ill know for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steveoknievo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alnkal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sunday Sunday Sunday......Im in hot or not

grin.gif

AL

You can try it out see how it feels compared to the thumbhole.</div></div>

I can tell you with confidence that Woody will take care of you. He does excellent work and stands by everything. He is a friend of mine and I cannot speak highly enough of his work.

I know it wasn't an invitation to me, but if you don't mind I would like to check out those skins!! They look very cool and comfortable. Do they require any modifications of the aluminum chassis, or do they use the existing holes? </div></div>

I dont mind at all.
No mods just plug and play

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ren</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alnkal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sunday Sunday Sunday......Im in hot or not

grin.gif

AL

You can try it out see how it feels compared to the thumbhole. </div></div>

Sweet... Thanks Alan. Hopefully Ill be out there, But after being gone for two weeks the amount of projects around the house is limitless! So after Saturday Ill know for sure.
</div></div>

Dont worry your projects will still be there when you get back..
grin.gif

It would be cool if you can make it.

AL

HEY JAMES!!! You out there?

Yea I'm still here,just a lot of working and not enough time in the days.plus working on building a back deck.It's a big project 16x35 with a lot of dirt that needed moved,but will be finished soon enough and then back to loading some ammo. Will be out to play soon

James

Made some upgrades to the target stands. I need to provide for some additional ballast but these should be a lot easier to handle without the hand shredding fragments of bullet jackets stuck in the wood braces in the first generation I built!

SteelTargets002.jpg

Steeltargets001.jpg

Wow they look great!

Unfortunately it looks as though I will be unable to make it tomorrow. I was looking forward to meeting you guys too! Oh well, life happens. Next time though for sure.

Where do you guys normally set up? Closer towards the 1,000 yard tables? Just curious for next months meetup
smile.gif

Have fun yall and happy 4th.

QQ figured something came up.
Steve next time buddy.
We setup where we can I always shoot prone so look for me
laying down with viperskins on and Orange Cones around me.....
laugh.gif

The Viperskins are awesome...love them.

Um I pretty sure we (Ren and I) commited a crime today.
And the crime was RAPE!
We absolutely raped the steel today.
Even that little 4" swinger on the far right wasnt safe...
shocked.gif

It was a great day shooting right up untill my pic rail came
loose from the receiver, oh well, it lasted all day long though.
But thats ok cause Ren brought out
his wifes 223 today and I got to end the day on a high note with that laser gun.

Ren glad you made it out. Thank you for bringing the steel
A great time as usual.

Stevo thanks for fixing the steel you did an awesome job.

Dropped off my rifle at Woody's house and he said about
3wks after he gets the receiver.
I wont make the 15th...bummed

AL

Yep.. Great day today! The lil .223 just impresses the shiz out of me sometimes! Absolutely crushed steel today. That made up for all the times it laughed at us!

If nobody can make the 15th I guess Ill just use that day to make ammo for the days we can make it!

As Alan said already...good job fixing that steel Stevo... I enjoyed smashing it!

Just checking in seeing whats going on.
Hows everyone doing?

As for me Im Dying Over Here.....I want to shoot!!!

Badger just shipped my receiver today....I have about another 3 or 4 weeks.
Maybe less since Im using my old but still new barrel.

Got plenty of 155's though.

Oh Im going to grab some steel if I can make a stand out
of fittings from Home Depot. A couble 3/4" or 1/2" side outlet elbows and some lengths of 3/4" or 1/2" pipe and that should be good.
I can just disasemble the stand and put it right in the back seat of my truck

What size target? 45%?

AL