• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

shooting rest bag....are these reasonable options?

want2learn

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2013
I didn't want to mess up someone else's post so i made this one...i hope that's ok

I saw that MidwayUSA has a free shipping promotion running and briefly perused the site where i found these 2 shooting rest bags. Wondering if anyone had any experience with either or both....are they good options? they come already filled.

I currently use a sock for the rear support that i filled up quite a bit, however i've noticed that it's often just a bit too short even when i stand it vertically. Likely my body habitus, type of stock or bipod contributes.

I'm still shooting mostly prone at our local range.....not doing athletic PRS type shooting (maybe one day?).

$18 dollar option: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015174851?pid=289666

$34 dollar option: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020674327?pid=668582

Is there a rest/bag in this price range that would be better?

I would recommend something made by either cole tac, tab gear, or armageddon. They may be slightly more money (depending on brand/ product) but you will likely get a more robust perfected shooting bag solution from one of these companies over Midway.

I started shooting with an olive drab cylinder shooting bag from Midway, including PRS shooting. I still carry it as a backup bag in my pack. Only difference is that mine was $12, a number of years ago. It works.

I've got 2 different sizes of Crosstac rear bags and they're ok. I got a Precision Underground bag a couple months ago and it's excellent.

may i ask as i've no experience with premium brand rear shooting bags....what makes them better? is it the durability characteristic?

may i ask as i've no experience with premium brand rear shooting bags....what makes them better? is it the durability characteristic?
So I've used a bit of everything over the years and I can tell you that the premium bags usually stand apart in a couple ways. First, they tend to have a more usable shape than the cheaper copies, which usually are just trying to mimic a premium bag. Second, the fill makes all the difference in the world. I have gone to a precision underground 3d ELR rear bag and don't see how there could be a better option for me. The fill they use locks together when you set the rifle into the bag and makes for an incredibly stable rear platform that you have to experience to truly understand just HOW GOOD it is. As a third reason premium bags have a leg up on others is the quality of construction, the bags that I've purchased above that $50 mark still look dang near brand near after years of use. The cheap ones not so much, lol

david8989,

Thanks for your evaluation, I just ordered one.

A great bag design and fill can replicate a bunny ear bag stability but without the table or groomed area requirements.
787FE42D-8BD5-480F-9037-8C8A18F06902.jpeg

Reactions: Balor
The above pic reminds me to say.... next on your list will be a premium bipod...don't skimp out there as well. Just hit the easy button and get an Atlas CAL and a Precision Underground ELR or 3D ELR Bag and then focus on your next issue.

I like my precision underground 3d ELR. I wish I would have ordered it with straps. It's not an option on the site but you can have them on if you email them before you order.

Reactions: b2lee
I like my precision underground 3d ELR. I wish I would have ordered it with straps. It's not an option on the site but you can have them on if you email them before you order.

Yea...my next 3D will have the straps...it is a hell of a bag.

Hey, I totally understand your concern about not wanting to mess up someone else's post. It's great that you made a separate one! Regarding the shooting rest bags, I haven't personally tried those specific options, but they look interesting.

Hopefully he figured it out in these past 3 years lol

A sock filled with rice is a decent option and cheaper

A great bag design and fill can replicate a bunny ear bag stability but without the table or groomed area requirements.
View attachment 7393877

Who and where can I order a bag with MARPAT Woodland cordura and strap? And, if it's made to order, do they also offer XLarge shooting mats in marpat DESERT? Thanks in advance

Reactions: Milf Dots

Don't know about shooting mats but they are on the forum @Precision Underground
Thanks for the link sir! I had no idea that stock text would show when the link was posted, need to change that..

We’re actually out of MARPAT right now and having trouble finding more. I need to look again, I haven’t in a couple of weeks. @Milf Dots we have a DragMat(folding case/mat) but it’s not XL by any means. If I can find some MARPAT, we might could do something custom….but it won’t be cheap!

Thanks for the link sir! I had no idea that stock text would show when the link was posted, need to change that..

We’re actually out of MARPAT right now and having trouble finding more. I need to look again, I haven’t in a couple of weeks. @Milf Dots we have a DragMat(folding case/mat) but it’s not XL by any means. If I can find some MARPAT, we might could do something custom….but it won’t be cheap!
Your stuff is excellent and I’ll tell anyone who asks and do. Maybe if you do locate some desert Marpat, you can start a thread and gauge others’ interest in a special run of mats that would mitigate some of the costs. I know that I’d be interested in one in XL.

Your stuff is excellent and I’ll tell anyone who asks and do. Maybe if you do locate some desert Marpat, you can start a thread and gauge others’ interest in a special run of mats that would mitigate some of the costs. I know that I’d be interested in one in XL.
We appreciate it man you’re an OG! I think we actually have some desert digital in the stack. Not sure how much we have though. I could prob come up with a very minimalist/simple design that could be reasonable. Even then I won’t be able to compete with midway or those types that can sell them for $75!

We appreciate it man you’re an OG! I think we actually have some desert digital in the stack. Not sure how much we have though. I could prob come up with a very minimalist/simple design that could be reasonable. Even then I won’t be able to compete with midway or those types that can sell them for $75!
I can’t imagine that anyone of us would expect it to be midway priced or we’d just get something from them.

Hey hey hey! I thought you said you were out of MARPAT??!! :LOL: I want Marpat woodland for bags, and Marpat desert for a XLarge shooting mat.