• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Shooting Skills: Sniper vs Competition Shooters

Jesus, you guys keep beating a fucking dead horse. We all know that pactice is good, more practice is better. Shooting comps would benefit us mil guys. That's why most of us shoot comps, or shoot on our own time and dime. On a flat square range, with no physical stimulis, the comp shooter will usually out shoot the mil guy. Put that same comp shooter in the mountains of Astan and most will get evaced out 1k into the movement to the OBJ, never getting a chance to take that shot. Will the mil guys ever get to shoot as much as comp guys, no. Do we wish we could, yes. Do we realize that we would be better if we did, yes.

Bunch of kids on the playground trying to measure dicks, all over who is the "better shooter."

It must be getting cold out.

ummm ^^^^ this sums it up just about right. i think with the advent of "tactical/sniper" type comps there is some great practice and training opportunities that was not available a 10-15yrs ago. i know all tac/sniper matches i am shooting these days generally have a mil shooter or pd shooter in the mix. they ARE taking advantage of this type of comepetition because its scenario based, not square, elevates the heart rate and takes you out of your comfort zone. thats about the best you can do to help yourself along in my opinion if your day job is a to run a long gun in harms way.

to me there is no way an EIC or cmp hi power etc match can hold a candle to what tactical scenario/stage driven match provides. they are becoming very prevelant in most regions of this country and are being utilized.

I've run basic sniper courses, SF sniper courses, and specialized sniper courses around the world for military, paramilitary, and police forces. The majority of sniper elements I've seen collectively shoot OK. Fieldcraft has been OK to unbelievable (both good AND poor).

I've also shot on national champion teams and shot against world champions.

That military snipers can be smoked on a rifle range when compared to competitive military shooters did not (and does not) surprise me.

The same thing goes whether it's pistols, rifles, shotguns, or machineguns. Folks who put in the time to practice will always do better than those who just get by.

The finest fieldcraft ever practiced by man is useless if the shooter can't make the shot. If he must get closer to make the shot he puts himself, his spotter, and his team mates at risk. If he's too far away he runs the same risks.

No argument that some competitive rifleman can't find their ass from a hole in the ground once out in the woods. Conversely there are a lot of trained and slotted snipers whose fieldcraft is impeccable, but could use more time on a rifle range.

Natural selection on a battlefield can be objective, cruel, and quick. There may be very little room for error, especially when the consequences are catastrophic.

Again, RISK = PROBABILITY X CONSEQUENCES. Someone could get fired for another losing season to Army. Someone could get killed for losing to Hajji.

True, but a snipers margin of error is a lot greater than a bench/competition shooter. A competition shooter has to hit 3" target, a sniper typicaly has to hit 10-12" target. As a sniper, I may not be able to hit an apple at a half mile, but then again I don't need to. I only need to land a kill shot on a man sized target. :)

Exactly. Thank you.

Lots of excuses, but I expected as much.

Not so much excuses as facts. The military doesn't make time for thorough training, and they don't pay you enough to justify spending $200 on ammo every paycheck to go do it on your own (unless you have absolutely nothing else to spend your money on). Those that do have the money, go for it. More practice the better. Just don't lump everyone into the same category saying that those who want to be better put forth the effort. Not everyone can afford it or have the free time to do it on their own.

If one happens to be a competition shooter as well as a long range varmint and medium game hunter he shall be a well rounded and respected shooter, there's many guys like that, Also I know a guy who was either a spotter or sniper in the military and he is a very competitive in FTR competitions, he is one of the best at the competitions and I always tell my friends "if I was ever held hostage by a gunman, there's one guy that I could trust to take the shot on the bad guy." He's a military type of guy and boy can he shoot because it's what he likes to do. Special K