• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Shooting Skills: Sniper vs Competition Shooters

kraigWY

CMP GSM MI
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2006
Wyoming
Below is a link where "The Weapons & Materials Research Directorate of the Army Research Laboratory published a white paper of these efforts called Sniper Weapon Fire Control Error Budget Analysis"

Shooting Skill: Snipers vs. Competition Shooters | Firearm User Network

Basically, the paper reported the difference between Snipers and High Power (including 1000 yard HP ) competitors. The results will surprise many people on these forums, though I'm not one that was surprised.

According to their tests, the standard deviation of aiming error for the best, formally-trained operational snipers was three times worse than tested High Power and Long Range competition shooters sufficiently skilled to compete successfully in national level match competition at Camp Perry and the like. In fact, the worst competition shooters tested were as good or better than the best snipers in basic holding and shooting fundamentals

Because I have a bit of experience in both sniping and competition I was asked my thoughts on this from a guy on another forum. As I said, I'm not surprised of the results. I've ran several sniper schools, the problem is once a person attends the school, they quit. I don't mean totally, but they don't practice their craft near to the point of a High Power shooter, both in practice and competition.

A high power shooter will practice several hours for each hour he spends in competition. You just don't see that with snipers. I've had sniper students who "got hooked" and took up High Power, hitting me up for ammo and support ( I was also running the AK NG Marksmanship Unit as I was running sniper schools), Some, should I say most, I never heard of again unless they want to attend another course for "for a refresher". The HP shooter/sniper didn't need a refresher.

This only deals with the shooting aspect of sniping, not the observation/scouting aspect, but that too needs practice or its a lost art. I have guardsmen from urban areas and I had guardsmen from the Alaska Bush, mainly Alaska Natives who make their living off the land. Guess which one didn't need refreshers in observation/scouting.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here as I haven't made any phone calls before typing this but the white feather project is circa 1995 ish as I recall the system they are referring to in the snippet in the link you posted. That point aside, I will say the findings are really no surprise at all, you could ask any NCO and they would tell you that OPTEMPO and the score of other shit we have to be proficient in before we are considered "T" across the board negates the ability to stay in the same league as someone who competitively shoots. It's one of the reasons why we conduct PMT prior to deploying, to give guys the time to get back on the gun intensely among other skill sets. You'd be surprised how long most seals sometimes go without being in the water and thats their primary mission.

As you pointed out, there are far more people who go through certain courses and pass and then don't maintain their proficiency unless it is required, and on the conventional Army side it's even more apparent due to lack of resources. Not everyone is bitten by the bug be it sniper school, HALO, dive, etc. most do it only as required for "work" and thats it. You talk to some one who hasn't been bitten by the bug and they can't tell you half of the shit your average reader of the forums can tell you. They know about the systems/equipment they have and have to use and thats usually the extent of it in most cases. A good example are the internet gear whores who know every make/model of kit and who makes what. Ask most of the guys who actually use the gear and they can probably just tell you the manufacturer name and thats about it.

Do you know the date on the information listed in that link by chance? I ask because if it is from around 95 it also helps to keep in mind what weapon system we were using as most units were switching from the M21 to the M24 and all most shooters had available to them was the then new M24 SWS and a M49 spotting scope, a stubby pencil and a list of formulas to go from mils to moa, etc. Todays guys have a lot more available to them and in my personal experience a lot more trigger time during PMT than we used to back in the day.

I shoot holes in paper (F-Class) and I've been fortunate enough to talk with a few individuals out here that shoot for a living. Based on those conversations, a couple of the biggest differences that come to mind are 1) paper doesn't shoot back; whole different world as far as stress level is concerned, and 2) the paper isn't moving. For a sniper who may have spent years learning to perform under conditions of extraordinary stress, often against targets that are moving, it isn't all that surprising that shooting groups against a stationary paper target may not be their greatest skill set. In particular, it seems from the link as though the tests were set up in a manner very similar to competition target shooting, ie. advantage target shooters simply from how the test was conducted. I suspect it might be more informative to ask how well former snipers that later took up competitive shooting performed in competition. My guess would be they did very well after a suitable period of time to become accustomed to the differences in target shooting and the type shooting they were trained to do as military/LE snipers.

The report deals with marksmanship only.

You're right, all groups open up when you see the Elephant in Indian Country, If you can't shoot in a non-stress environment, you can't shoot when the chips are down.

Hey, K, a shooting range isn't the real world.
I thought I knew how to fly when I was graduated from flight school.
I went to Viet Nam.
I flew medevac for one tour, I thought I was a real pilot then.
Then, on my second tour, I flew assault. I didn't know helicopters could do that.

Shooting on the range is one thing, shooting at someone when, if you miss can get you killed, is quite another.

So, so many people on this site DO NOT understand that.

Most people don't realize the shooting part is really a tiny piece of the pie.

You have to get there, and then worry about getting back.

Observation, Communication, Land Navigation, all play just as big a roll in it, if not bigger.

Sniper School for me was 12 weeks, do you think we shot everyday ? I still have my daily schedule, so I can tell you everything that was done everyday for those 12 weeks... the majority of it was not shooting. I tell a lot of people, once you get there, they figure you already know how to shoot good enough. In most cases you had to have qualified expert at least 3x before going to Sniper School... So the instructors are not there to "teach" you how to shoot. I was much happier using my radio than I was worrying about the rifle. In places like CAX, calling for fire was much more enjoyable than shooting the rifle at the same old thing over and over. You would be more apt to have found me with a radio over a rifle.

Targets in the military are much larger, 20x40 in most cases, though nowadays they have reduced that thanks to outside training. Civilian shooters on the other hand are meticulous, passionate, and committed. They are not worried about the same things, so you really can't compare the two head to head. As noted above, combat is not the best teacher of the fundamentals. And while people do take away important lessons from combat, marksmanship fundamentals is not at the top of the list. That is why it is always interesting to read people chasing down someone for instruction because of the combat part of it. (if you're in CAG, sure, but a line unit ? )

On the combat side, since my experience was back when nobody was getting experience in combat, unlike today, we were tasked in a much different roll. It turned out to be the largest Naval battle since WWII, however on the ground pounding side, it wasn't much of a fight. We traded in our M40s for M16s and MP5s, as moving through ships, and oil platforms is much easier with those as opposed to a 44" bolt action rifle.

Sinister has a great post somewhere on the benefit of competition shooting for the Operational Sniper, since he was probably running around the AMU during this study, he would definitely be one to chime in. Needless to say, even when the opportunity is available to guys, they rarely take advantage of it. The military would rather the day off, and the cop wants to be paid.

Yep, shooting for a operational sniper is such a small percentage, you guys who shoot every weekend and comps 10 times a year don't realize how good you guys actually are. Especially in some circles where being a "Sniper" is a qual and not your primary job you still have to maintain your skills in 100 other jobs you may be required to do over the course of a deployment or year on patrol (LEO). I know for us, we may only shoot our bolt guns 2-3 weeks in a year and a half block of training building up to a deployment, and that is in 2x 1 week blocks seperated by months and a couple cold bores to make sure we can still pull a trigger. I got into training for comps outside of work to help me keep up my skills and learn from some guys who shoot MUCH more frequently then i did.

I'm aware shooting isn't all there is to it, the article was addressing the shooting part. If you can't shoot then you might as well just get in a recon plt.

Hey, K, a shooting range isn't the real world.

I'm aware of that, but I'm also aware that if you can't shoot on the range you wont be able to shoot when the chips are down.

Being a sniper is getting to your targer without you being killed, killing your target and then, getting AWAY without being killed. It aint about punching holes in a paper targert at "X" yards.

There is shooting, and then there is Shooting...

Shooting a person with an average range of 400 yards is a lot different than focusing on a 1/2 MOA - "X" Ring, so while you can define Shooting in this context as "accuracy on a sub MOA target" the working sniper isn't held to those tolerances or standards. More like to 2 to 4 MOA on average as opposed to 1/2 or 1 MOA.

This is why you are a seeing a 3x better result. You're target or focus is 3x smaller with a competition shooter.

Maybe so, might work for Military Snipers, but LE needs to hold a bit tighter.

Its one thing to shoot for center of mass on a chest, its another matter to put the round where the spin meets the brain.

The average police encounter is less than 100 yards, and the furthest was just over 500.

police are worst than the military, as they train less and barely go outside their comfort zone. They know the odds of them shooting past 100 yards is slim, so they stay inside that.

Any decent hit on a head with a 308 is pretty well gonna end the day, a 1/2" left or right on that 8" noggin isn't gonna matter much. That terminator shot is not really a factor. It just sound good on the Internet or in a bar.

I am not a sniper. I refuse to shoot in "sniper matches" held at my local range because I think it's a little bit disrespectful to those who have/are snipers. I consider myself to be a decent shooter. But that's all I am or will ever be. A shooter that likes to hit steel objects at distances.

shooter don't worry we are not insulted by it, i talk very infrequently on here about what i do for a living. Read my blog post about the PRS and you'll see my utmost respect for most in the sport. I don't think 90 percent of the people in that sport in any way think themselves snipers and i have always been shown entirely too much respect and admiration for what i chose to do for a living. We choose what we do with our lives i wasn't forced into it and didn't do it for the admiration or book deal i might get later. There is always someone with much more experience then you who didn't make it home or doesn't expect the admiration so why should I.

From who i have worked with on the big departments, LEO focus much more on fixed position shooting with a lot of prep work and stability, mil trains more so for opposite and improvised shooting positions, running courses, etc. I will say again that most of the top 50 percent of PRS type shooters i have seen would hand just about any military shooter their ass in a straight up shooting course. Now put that same shooter in body armor, tired, dirty, and the ability may draw closer but pure shooting ability of the shooters in most comps far outweighs most LEO and MIL. Like frank said "aim small, miss small" and when you guys are setting up comps where you have 1/2 moa targets consistently, you will be a better shooter then the MIL/LEO guys who train for CNS or full body at pretty much all ranges.

I was going to type out a longer response, but the others much covered it all. You can't compare the performance of one field who has a multitude of other duties and responsibilities to another who focuses solely on that one single duty. Most full time competition shooters I met had forgotten much of their base MOS skills. It was like getting a new Corporal or Sergeant in the FMF straight from some stateside Security Forces unit, only worse. They didn't know jack shit about the field and typically lacked the leadership skills necessary for deployable combat units as well. There were exceptions to that, but I'm simply speaking of the norm.

Here's the link to the original document (1999), and the excerpt the first link references is from a study published in 1990. I couldn't find that document, but I really didn't search long for it. http://www.arl.army.mil/arlreports/1999/ARL-TR-2065.pdf

most competition shooters would HATE the real job of a sniper, lol. not a high enough round count ;)

sitting on a hillside in the sun all day and not firing a single round and just looking through glass, talking on a radio isn't that sexy.

now there is a adventure race that people would sign up for for 1 year and then it would die, lol walk 11 kilometers with 100 pounds in gear, sit on target all day to possibly take 2x 300 yard shots on full etype size targets then walk 11 kilometers out back to a truck and no prize table... welcome to being a MIL sniper, lol.

Or sitting on a rooftop for PSD for a dignitary for three days and taking no shots but watching hundreds of people through glass for hours at a time, yep so glamorous.

I will say again that most of the top 50 percent of PRS type shooters i have seen would hand just about any military shooter their ass in a straight up shooting course

That part is true, but I think the 50% number is low. The difference is PRACTICE.

I don't buy the idea that the reason the military don't shoot is because they don't get the support. Few HP or PRS get support, they shoot on their own dime. I've seen school trained snipers excel because they take it on themselves to practice, even on their own dime. Then there are those who become stagnate and because they only shoot when they have to for requalification's. (The same said for LEOs).

Now put that same shooter in body armor, tired, dirty, and the ability may draw closer but pure shooting ability of the shooters in most comps far outweighs most LEO and MIL.

I don't recall anything in that report that military shooters shot in full body armor, tired, dirty, etc, where the competitive shooters didn't. I don't believe that was the case. If you cant shoot on a square range, you certainly aren't going to be able to shoot in body armor, tired, dirty, etc, in a field enviorment.

Especially in some circles where being a "Sniper" is a qual and not your primary job you still have to maintain your skills in 100 other jobs you may be required to do over the course of a deployment or year on patrol (LEO)

There are very few competitive shooters that don't have a job, don't have a family, don't have other requirements in their daily lives, yet they still find time to practice their sport. Same with military, most have other duties besides shooting, yet some manage to find away. LE is probably a better example, they all carry a service revolver/pistol, yet shooting is <1% of their jobs, yet some still find the time to practice for that <1% period where they may need to shoot.

I guess I would be an example. When I was in LE, I was a street cop, but I had a secondary duties, EOD, Counter/Sniper, LE Instructor. Plus I had a family, I ran a NG Unit, even attended college..........and I shot competition, and practiced for competition.

Hunters are the same, some shoot year around, some take their rifles out a couple days before the season opener and fire a couple rounds from the bench to confirm their "bench" zero.

My question is, how to get people out practicing their trade, but seems all I'm getting is excuses why they don't.

There are a lot of PR Shooters on this site, how many don't have other activities? I doubt there are any. Maybe some who get support from sponsors, but a vast majority do it on their own dime. How many here don't have a job, family, and other responsibilities? I bet that answer is close to zero, yet many find a way to improve in their chosen sport.

So I'll ask this, instead of excuses how about changing this topic, or starting a new one on how to improve the situation?

I see folks everyday who, not wanting to miss out on the fame they perceive they can claim, want to get into long range shooting, an activity which, appearing easy on TV, makes them think that they too can master it all with the right equipment. These folks will pursue the shooting activity as long as such activity does not reveal their incompetence. These folks are not interested in any competitions even when they have the time and money to explore it.

Last edited:
IMO it's apples vs oranges - both are fruit from a tree

prius vs. corvette - both have four tires and steering wheel

hobby vs. a job - one you choose to do one for recreation, the other is something that has to be done to survive and put food on the table and a roof overhead

chef vs. cook - one makes an elegant array of specialty goodies, the other gets basic food on a plate for consumption, but in the end everyone gets fed.

comparing the two in the topic is about the same as the fruit, cars, and what you do during the day - that's just about where the comparisons end.

Being a sniper is getting to your targer without you being killed, killing your target and then, getting AWAY without being killed. It aint about punching holes in a paper targert at "X" yards.

a couple of the biggest differences that come to mind are 1) paper doesn't shoot back; whole different world as far as stress level is concerned, and 2) the paper isn't moving. For a sniper who may have spent years learning to perform under conditions of extraordinary stress, often against targets that are moving, it isn't all that surprising that shooting groups against a stationary paper target may not be their greatest skill set.

Shooting on the range is one thing, shooting at someone when, if you miss can get you killed, is quite another.

Shooting a person with an average range of 400 yards is a lot different than focusing on a 1/2 MOA - "X" Ring, so while you can define Shooting in this context as "accuracy on a sub MOA target" the working sniper isn't held to those tolerances or standards. More like to 2 to 4 MOA on average as opposed to 1/2 or 1 MOA. This is why you are a seeing a 3x better result. You're target or focus is 3x smaller with a competition shooter.

so stopping an undesireable action from happening on soft targets consistantly is the goal for the sniper / designated marksman, and as commented frequently with the other duties as assigned, that is sufficient, and if sufficient enough to stop that undesireable action and not cause collateral losses, mission accomplished, top of game in that field.

hitting little X's at usually known distances where only an entry fee, a trophy for the mantle, and maybe a cash prize, points, and ego are at stake is a bit different. doing it consistantly is a different set of mindset and skills, and doing it consistantly mission accomplished, top of game in that field.

both have a foundation in marksmanship skill and understanding, but the level of which varies in the degree of competency for the requirements.

The difference is PRACTICE. My question is, how to get people out practicing their trade, but seems all I'm getting is excuses why they don't.

So I'll ask this, instead of excuses how about changing this topic, or starting a new one on how to improve the situation?

you answered your own question. it's up to the individual to not only meet, but also to "crosstrain" in each to excel past the basic requirements to consistantly perform each needing a large amount of personal dedication and responsibility, that is if they want to and actually when lives are concerned, probably should. it weighs as a larger responsibility but not requirement for the LEO / military sniper / DM, however with other duties as assigned perhaps not practical to accomplish.

in the amount of time spent of talking the talk on the forum today in instead of walking the walk at the range today means that i am delinquent too, should have been triggering today rather than typing, how many are in that same boat?

but i still highly doubt (except in very rare cases), that sniper/DMs and competiton shooters will be as profecient in BOTH enough to be at the top of the game in either. at least they will have a better knowledge / understanding of both elevating the degree of skill in both when having to perform either, but certainly not as high of a level as if dedicating themselves to one or the other. the highest golfer in your regional weekend golf league probably will not stand a chance against tiger woods who practices and golfs 12 hours a day.

put a firearms recreational shooter who does well that is also a member of PETA in a treestand and see what you get, practice / training is a key, but the mindset / motivation to accomplish the task at hand is even more of an underlying factor through executing the act.

i'm not a sniper or full blown rifle competition shooter by any means, however a million years ago when i hunted and competed with archery gear, i could not hold a candle to those that just shot paper exclusively. i placed mid rankings but not enough to go to the top. on the same token taking those guys out in a treestand or stalk, they rarely filled a tag or got close enough to doing so, while i was back at camp field dressing mine by 0930, year after year. unknown ranges and the fact that the quarry wasn't static tossed arrows over and under or succumbed to the "bambi" effect with mindset.

then when trying to get to the top of the ranks in competition, it took away time from excercising my hunting skills (scouting and all the little nuances needed to be extremely consistant and successful) which hurt my hunting success, but improved my paper shooting. went back to concentrating on hunting, paper X's skills started to erode though better than before venturing into X's only territory. - not to mention the equipment varied due to the nature of the job trying to be accomplished.

the two are related no doubt, but still is an apples to oranges comparison depending on the type of juice you want to drink. what i get out of the report is not actually good data to show differences or advantages between competition shooters vs operational snipers just a blurb on table 4. it appears at least to me the intent of the report is to get approval / funding to pursue further development or use a new sighting system to compensate where the sniper is, per the report's table, PERCEIVED to be lacking in skills when that fish is out of it's own pond and compared to cometition shooters in competition conditions, or to somehow trying to make orapple juice.

some of the criteria in the report in section 4 under the table further skews the data, "unlimited time, from a bench" and a few other points further hints to me that the deck was slightly stacked and modified, as most govt reports are, depending on who's agenda wants to be met. the title of the table itself: "unstressed, un-operational conditions" with average entry level sniper vs. "able to compete successfully in national level match competition" - so is placing second to last a successful showing? it's not defined. plus that was vs. the top level of bench shooters. and even those numbers were estimated, not actual. seems to me the deck was more than stacked, anyone take note of that?

perhaps a comparison of "competition shooter in non competition conditions vs. operational sniper" should have been done in fairness, but the report that stemmed this topic is not evaluating the marksmanship skills of a sniper vs. competition shooter in the first place! the report seems to be leaning toward getting a new automatic ballistic correction sighting / firing system approved, vs. manual calculations. using the a few errors of an operational sniper in competition conditions vs. a competitor in competition conditions, which were estimations, an not really sniper vs. compeition shooter side by side. read the small print, they actually put their own down on the report a little vs. civilian shooters, but at least they did it in an attempt to get the better equipment they wanted, in order to close that "perceived" gap.

actually when reading the report that stemmed this topic again, no where in it is a sniper and a competition shooter shooting side by side, and the aiming errors are estimates based on....what? it's not defined.

i have no doubt the competition shooters are better apt at creating smaller groups and less aiming errors at known distances in controlled circumstances, through sheer repetitous excercising of marksmanship skills, but that is their forte especially in "unstressed, un-operational conditions"

in the end, i would not want to be the soft target in the optic of either comp shooter or sniper at any distance or weather condition, but moreso in the sniper / DM's optic when the conditions are more extreme, and more is on the line other than a trophy or a national ranking, there is no bench or familiar comfortable firing point to shoot from, and if the shot has to be taken in seconds, which is the sniper / DMs forte especially in "stressed operational conditions", and is further commented about by the author in 4.2.4 of the report.

actually when you read the report, not once did it say a round was actually fired, either by a sniper or competition shooter... read it over and over...not one round fired. it's an report using analysis of known data of weapon systems, ammo, and environmental characteristics, computing it, and with a little speculation how they should be improved by by implementation of the new sighting system. read it again with that in mind. not 1 round fired to back up anything briefed in the report. just a bunch of ballistic data, charts, graphs, and some speculation to use as justification for further exploration of a automatic adjusting sighting system for better first round hit probability.

the report is just spitting out results of what we take for granted today through ballistic programs and iphones - a bunch of data computted and compiled, without a shot taken, with a little drama to help spur approval for the sighting system.

though an interesting thread topic, the report referenced that spurred the thread is a "virtual" one not executed in reality, with no proof in it of one type of shooter being better than the other. i would not want my lawyer to use it in a court of law.

sounds alot like the begining of asking for something what is now the BORS, with some sort of wind estimating laser sensor added.

Last edited:
hobby vs. a job - one you choose to do one for recreation, the other is something that has to be done to survive and put food on the table and a roof overhead

Do true:

The competitive shooter muffs a shot he looses a few points, at worse, the match. The Job, the muffed shot stands a good chance of costing a life. The hunter, no biggy, tomorrows another day.

Do true:

The competitive shooter muffs a shot he looses a few points, at worse, the match. The Job, the muffed shot stands a good chance of costing a life. The hunter, no biggy, tomorrows another day.

One other bonus for the competitive shooter I forgot to mention...sighters. Don't think you get those on the job.

Major matches, such as EIC (leg matches), Presidents Hundred, Team Matches, ITT, etc don't get sighters. Might say Team Matches have coaches, kind of like spotters. With the others, your on you own.

But that's not the point, my point all along is, if you care about your shooting, especially if its you job, seems to me you would want to practice it. You would think Sniper/DSM, would take it more serious then competition shooters.

When you are shooting the same KD course over and over do you really need sighters ? Sure it helps with the wind, but how many take short cuts or fall back to that coach for wind because they know very little is on the line. Then it is whether your rifle can hold the 10 ring and X over the course of 20 rounds. Bouncing the line back & forth for the small changes that happen.

As noted it is apples and oranges... there are guys who are excellent competition shooters, but ask them to climb to 8000+ ft above sea level with full gear under time in order to cover a units movement . That alone would knock off half the top competitions. Even if you made them run to the 100 yard line, then back to the 1000 before they start the relay. Throwing in a physical challenge and cutting the time in 1/2 would hurt a lot of the competition field.

Based on what I have personally seen, and the mentality of parts of the military during these times. It was more about being a jack of all trades then simply a master of one skillset. The military needs a bit more then someone who could shoot particularly well. Gasp, shock, Blasphemy? Nope.

Say you were in charge of training your unit to go to Afghanistan, and you had to select a certain amount of training to complete, and only a certain amount of available time, and money allotted to you(if you're lucky enough to get both) for this task.

Let's say we discuss apples vs. apples, red delicious vs. granny smith.

You have a choice between having your unit conduct some long distance training past 500, 600 yards, OR take your unit to conduct some CAS training, and familiarization training. One is good for point targets, one is good for area targets.

And now to bring fantasy into this reality. Everyone is behind on their weekly training on the differences between boys and girls, half the unit is behind on their MEDPROS, and nobody can access it without using their ID cards which all lack the verification and certificates to do so. All the vehicles are broke, and nobody knows why. ALL the small arms are dirty because some retard wanted to be a high-speed helper monkey, and signed them out to God knows what fucking unit who fucked them to the point that they will need a week straight of solid fucking cleaning, and all without telling anyone within the unit, both of higher rank and lower rank. All the communication equipment is signed out to a sister company, and you can't train with it because it's all gone, and the entire computer network available to your unit is down pending an internal review from a technocratic entity, because someone, in a nice cushy, climate controlled, office somewhere, had to go to Vogue Online because she says she doesn't 'feel attractive enough'(Was approved Facebook usage on government computers really fucking necessary for the good of the Army, or any service?!?!) The crew served weapons were taken by the Battalion HHC(the admin/support side), because for the first time in the sky bluest of fucking moons they decide to fire, not by their own choice, but because of a supposed photo op with a visiting dignitary/VIP who may or may not be in the area, and in reality, IS NOT EVEN COMING THERE. A crucial vehicle for your pre-deployment training has been seized by CID, because it turns out that it belonged to another unit in a different country, and it isn't even signed for, or on your unit's MTOE, it just somehow magically fucking appeared like David Copperfield did a USO tour at Bagram or some shit, while your unit was stateside. An entire squad is on notice because they all got drunk last weekend, and they were the ones who were caught. And someone in the unit(according to your boss it's in your unit), it's not even known if they are in the platoon, company, battalion, brigade, regiment, or even if it's in the human race, is rumored to have slept with, and knocked up the Post CG's daughter...

Am I scratching the surface? Fuck no. A diamond tipped drill couldn't even cut open it open. A checked block for shooting was in some cases going to the weaponeer, and shooting at pixelated blocks on a screen. No, it couldn't possibly happen to your unit, because your unit is XYZ unit that is at XYZ base doing XYZ job, and you all have XYZ training that makes your unit have the biggest dicks/largest tits, in XYZ branch.

To paraphrase Col. Kurtz...

"The Op-Tempo... The Op-Tempo..."

Shooting any rifle would be a luxury after this...

Last edited:
You can't compare the performance of one field who has a multitude of other duties and responsibilities to another who focuses solely on that one single duty.

This sums it up nicely. Be it HALO, Dive or Sniping, etc,it is just one of many additional skills I or my guys do as a small part of our overall job. Halo is a means of infiltration so I can get to the ground and do my job. The average recreational, not competitive, civilian skydiver typically has far better in freefall body stabilization and canopy control skills than the average guy on a HALO team. As has been mentioned, it is apples and oranges, as civilians are not faced with the same requirements as guys on a HALO team. You won't find civilians jumping with O2 and a 100lb ruck at night. Yet both of them are falling out of the sky and flying canopies to the ground but there is a disparity between the two groups skill wise, each does one or more things better than the other but neither is really equal across the board.

Here's the link to the original document (1999), and the excerpt the first link references is from a study published in 1990. I couldn't find that document, but I really didn't search long for it. http://www.arl.army.mil/arlreports/1999/ARL-TR-2065.pdf

I wasn't far off on the 95 guess as thats when I remember this actually starting to kick off. I gleamed the paper but I do remember some of what is mentioned taking place as mentioned on page 1, table 1 and was involved with it peripherally as it pertained to something else I was involved with at the time. Prior to what is covered in the linked paper there was also a push for a sniper specific night optic. The NOD project got picked up but they had to keep pushing the system described in the paper and as Top Predator mentioned, this was indeed a paper written to support the Requirements document to try and fund the development of this piece of technology. And as Top Predator guessed, it was sort of like BORS but it was really still in development at the time. The device was not feasible for field/tactical use as it had several parts and even on the range it was 50 -50. I understand Kestrel is doing something currently with having a windmeter down range from the firing position and all the windmeters talking to one another via Bluetooth to come up with a better firing solution. This device had a portion of the system that had to be set up half way between the shooter and the target to function. What they were trying to develop then is pretty much what the trackingpoint system today does.The only difference is the tracking point system has put it in a smaller form factor.

kraigWY said:
my point all along is, if you care about your shooting, especially if its you job, seems to me you would want to practice it. You would think Sniper/DSM, would take it more serious then competition shooters.

Logically looking at it, you would come to this conclusion as it makes perfect sense. However, as I eluded to earlier, this is just one small part of all the other things that a guy has to do. It's not that it's not taken seriously its just that there are A LOT of other skills that I and my guys have to also take just as seriously be it medical training, commo training and the list of other skills we must be proficient at. You only have so many hours in a day and OPTEMPO/ deployments and training cycles often times prevent guys from practicing even as much as a recreational shooter, skydiver,diver unless it is something they do recreationally outside of work.

As was mentioned, it is an apples to oranges comparison. A side from doing the NRA shoot with iron sights on bulls in the beginning of the course, the rest of the time as a sniper student is spent shooting E type steel targets and human sized movers and field craft. You do hostage head shot, no reflex shooting but its not anything close to what competitive shooters going for the X are doing. So I do understand why the paper was written the way it was, it had an agenda to prove a point to support the funding of the technology. However, taken out of context the way it was from the paper and not knowing the bigger picture behind it, it is somewhat misleading.

I know our full time competition team at Parris Island worked in a cycle like this: They selected and picked up in October or November for the next season based off of inter-mural performance. They would shoot three to five days a week; pistol all morning, rifle all afternoon. On days they weren't hot on the range, they snapped in or used the ISMT all day. So basically they had a minimum of 12-15 hours a week shooting pistol and rifle each, an additional 10-20 hours dry fire and ISMT time a week, and then there were the local and regional competitions they shot 2-3 weekends a month as well on top of the actual competition season matches. Their job was to shoot, to be the best at what they did, and to forgo everything else. A lot of them hardly PT'd and would come back to us on the ranges/PMI section at the end of the season a bit fluffier as well.

In my Scout Sniper platoon we would get maybe ten to fifteen hours a month dedicated to marksmanship. We were happy when we got one range a month for shooting the 40s or Barretts. The requirements of the Battalion and/or MEU didn't allow for us to spend more time on it. Every day in the rear we would thrash the hell out of ourselves with 5-8 mile runs minimum for speed, 10 mile ruck runs every Friday, log drills, etc. We were typically in the field three weeks out of the month doing missions supporting a wide variety of missions, time out on ship, schools to advance our other skills, lots of supporting arms training, comm skills training, prepping the PIGs for school, and everything else. There simply wasn't time to do all the rest.

A competition shooter is one thing: a shooter. Some of them specialize in one weapon only because they don't want to detract from their pistol training with the rifle or vice versa...

A Scout Sniper is a Sniper, Forward Observer, Field Radio Operator, Combat Lifesaver, a Scout specializing in advising Captains and Colonels when, where and how to execute their attack because they're the ones on the ground with eyes on, a PT stud, an Assault Climber, a Scout Swimmer, specialist in helo, mechanized and boat raid operations, a "Leader of Marines", an intel analyst, a man tracker, a survivalist and evasion expert, resistant to interrogation techniques, camouflage guru, specialist in urban, mountain, arctic, jungle, desert and woodland operations, capable of supporting with precision fire from helo platforms, and a land nav genius. And lets not forget all the other bullshit we all had to deal with like getting ready for junk on the bunk inspections, libo briefs telling us once again to use a condom and not bounce checks, standing by to stand by, getting yelled at by some pogue ass SgtMaj because we went to the bank on mainside before we took a shower coming from the field to make our car payment before we go late and get yelled at again, and falling out for platoon formation 15 minutes prior to the 15 minutes prior to company formation which is 15 minutes prior to battalion formation.... And then after all that training and bullshit, we got to go and actually do our jobs in combat with more patrol and post time than every single other grunt in the battalion. I know I've missed a few things in there as well, but you get my drift.

I think the Scout Snipers are doing pretty damn good still being able to place a 175gr projectile into the chest of an enemy soldier at 1000yds in a 15mph gusting crosswind, even if we have to watch our splash and get him on the second try.

I would be disappointed as hell if the competition shooters were not outperforming the operational Scout Snipers at shooting.

Last edited:
damn kraig, I might seem a bit hostile but you kinda called me out. So your saying that most military trained snipers are lazy then? that the reason they aren't as good is because they/we don't take the extra time? wow bro, i have 3-4 sitting here in afghan with me that might see things differently. I'm gone 80 percent of the year, all the time, for the last decade. 80 percent of the time my time is not mine to play with, i can't bring personal guns with me, and we are almost never doing sniper related training. between jumping, diving, mobility, CQC, MOUT, VBSS, etc there is not way to possibly fit it in and then i come home to my wife and two kids. Ok i take that back maybe your right in my 20 percent of the year i could tell my family, tough nuts i'm goin to take 2-4 days to travel more to a PRS match or make a few more range days, trust me i would like to shoot more, i started shooting civilian side and buying long guns for that reason. It just takes a lot to coordinate, especially with a schedule that is ALWAYS changing, i can't plan usually more then 2-3 weeks out for anything, most matches i've seen sell out WAY before that.

The average police encounter is less than 100 yards, and the furthest was just over 500.

police are worst than the military, as they train less and barely go outside their comfort zone. They know the odds of them shooting past 100 yards is slim, so they stay inside that.

Any decent hit on a head with a 308 is pretty well gonna end the day, a 1/2" left or right on that 8" noggin isn't gonna matter much. That terminator shot is not really a factor. It just sound good on the Internet or in a bar.

I tend to agree with this, and most of the other comments I've read so far in this thread.

As a full-time LEO I can say that there is really a misconception about the shooting abilities of the folks I work with. Lots of folks seem to think that the majority of full-time professional police officers are excellent pistol shooters. I wish this was the case, but sadly it is not! Going to competitions exposes you to shooters who are truly dedicated, and that dedication pays off in a huge way when it comes to gun handling skills. I'm not saying that you need to compete to be good, but rather that you need to care enough to hone your skills beyond the minimum qualifications required by any given agency, unit, branch, etc.

Our pistol qualifications at work involve shooting at a full-sized silhouette picture target (larger than an IPSC target) at distances between 0-25 yards (I'd say 95% within 15 yards, and 90% within 12 yards or less). Any hit on the target counts (including arm shots), 80% score to pass, and qualification is 4 times per year. Oh, and if you blow your qualification you only need to reshoot, again and again, until you pass once each quarter. Sadly, most of our officers probably only shoot for qualification. The dedicated folks (and the folks who compete) shoot far more often, and regularly shoot smaller targets at longer distances. Those are the guys who can actually shoot!

But, moving on to rifles doesn't exactly improve things. To enter our program for carrying an AR-15 on patrol you need to have a year's worth of qualifications with the pistol that average 90% or better. You then go through a 50 hour rifle class (which is decent, but everyone gets to pass), after which you merely complete a quarterly qualification on the same large target, at distances that don't exceed 50 yards. Once again, any "hit" counts. It's appalling to see how many guys struggle with these qualifications, when a typical course of fire might consist of something like this: at 50 yards, 2 shots standing, 2 kneeling, 2 sitting, 2 prone. At the 25 yard line step left and give the target three shots. Move from the 25 to the 15 yard line and fire three shots on the move. Move from the 15 to the 5 yard line, fire 2 shots, transition to the pistol, fire two more shots. I mean, shit, if you can't pass that qual course when shooting without a time limit at a man-sized target, well, you have no business carrying a rifle! And, once again, the guys that shine are the ones who dedicate themselves to perfecting the art of shooting... these are the guys who do most of their shooting outside of work.

Within the ranks of our department's snipers (only a few guys who perform the role part-time in addition to their other duties in our METRO unit) I've seen the same thing play out. There's at least one guy I can think of who serves in this capacity who'd I'd definitely want to see behind a rifle if I was a hostage. He's a dedicated shooter, and is quite competent. Then there are a couple of guys I've seen shooting the basic patrol rifle qualification course poorly, and I find myself wondering who thought it would be a good idea to hand these guys a bolt-action rifle and ask them to assume a role where they might have to someday take a truly critical shot.

The short point of my long post is merely that being a "professional" only means that you get paid for your work. In many cases the true refinement of skill is to be found among the ranks of the "enthusiast". I think this holds true whether you're talking about a police officer, a soldier, a guy in the "regular" units, or a guy in the "special" units. The fact remains that many agencies/departments are training their people to meet the bare minimum qualification standards.

damn kraig, I might seem a bit hostile but you kinda called me out. So your saying that most military trained snipers are lazy then? that the reason they aren't as good is because they/we don't take the extra time? wow bro, i have 3-4 sitting here in afghan with me that might see things differently. I'm gone 80 percent of the year, all the time, for the last decade. 80 percent of the time my time is not mine to play with, i can't bring personal guns with me, and we are almost never doing sniper related training. between jumping, diving, mobility, CQC, MOUT, VBSS, etc there is not way to possibly fit it in and then i come home to my wife and two kids. Ok i take that back maybe your right in my 20 percent of the year i could tell my family, tough nuts i'm goin to take 2-4 days to travel more to a PRS match or make a few more range days, trust me i would like to shoot more, i started shooting civilian side and buying long guns for that reason. It just takes a lot to coordinate, especially with a schedule that is ALWAYS changing, i can't plan usually more then 2-3 weeks out for anything, most matches i've seen sell out WAY before that.

And, while I don't face all of the same operational hardships that you're currently enduring, I can sympathize with the situation you described as well. My hours are strange, my work days are irregular, I'm on-call quite a bit, and the department doesn't care about my personal life a whole heck of a lot. As such, I've run headlong into many of the same problems you've dealt with when it comes to trying to shoot matches outside of work. Don't get me wrong, I get out to shoot a fair amount on my own time, but it's often an impromptu Tuesday afternoon session at an otherwise empty range. So, I've never bought into the idea that you MUST shoot matches to be a decent shooter. I'd love to do it more, but I've settled for doing it when I can. I often run into situations where'd I'd have had to have known about the match almost a year in advance (to vote a vacation for it) to be able to attend... that rarely works out for me. I wanted to attend the Sniper's Hide Cup this year, but my Sun-Tues days off and inflexible vacation schedule prevented that from being a reality (even got laughed out of the sergeant's office when I asked if there was a chance of getting 3 or 4 consecutive comp days off).

The other thing I've seen discussed in this thread that I agree with is the idea that a competition shooter is a specialist, whereas a professional shooter is most often a jack of all trades. In my job we need to be able to shoot, but we also need to be able to fight, drive, write reports, perform basic street psychology tasks, perform building searches, etc. An MMA fighter can probably fight better than most cops, a prize-winning author could probably write a more eloquent report, and a race car driver could probably out drive us en route to an emergency call. But, we need to know how to do a little bit of all of these things, as opposed to all of just one thing. One of the guys I used to work with was a pretty accomplished MMA fighter. While I can hold my own in most fights, this guy could have mopped the floor with me, or nearly anyone else I knew. But, he couldn't shoot to save his life (bad unintentional pun, lets hope he never discovers that fact), and he'd have never been the guy you'd have wanted backing you up in a gun fight. Once again, his hobby was fist fighting, and that's what he did really, really, well.

Last edited:
Their school was their practice.

I cannot believe I read that, on this site of all places. Military and Sporting Rifle shooting is not a game we can learn in a school or class and have it stick with us forever, its not like riding a bicycle, it requires constant practice and fine tuning.

Read again what I said above that. We were able to shoot once a month if we were lucky. Your optempo prevented shooting every day or even every week, nor is that anywhere close to the focus of a Scout Sniper's mission. We always said "the 'scout' comes first for a reason". Your biggest shooting portion you ever get is in schools, and when we would get a range day for the platoon, the round counts would be around 50/shooter. I was our platoon's Chief Scout for three years, in charge of all training, and I constantly fought for range time. We didn't get anywhere near what we requested, nor did we even have the ammo allotment to support it if we had. When you lock on to the MEU, you try to get at least four of your shooters to the Urban Sniper package while the rest of the platoon is out running raid training at a furious pace. Bump out to the ship three different times for 5-25 days, run through the SOCEX, then get a little bit of leave before you pump out for float. I've been out for a few years, but I know the workup routine has been even faster and more condensed for the last decade as well.

Tell me Kraig or anyone else on here, did you see it any different in your units? Did you honestly have the time and resources to conduct live fire on a weekly basis?

Schools are the only time you get a chance to shoot more than two days in a row, so we would try to get as many of our shooters through them as much as we could. The Bn's budget, what little we had, went elsewhere. Shit, we didn't even have money for fuel in the early/mid 90s and the rule was if our training area was within 20 miles, we humped there and back. I don't wonder why my knees are so shot now...

Coming from someone who believes that sprinting is not a sport, it's one of many things you do to train for being a wide receiver or lead off hitter... I also believe, quite strongly, in asymmetrical warfare. Never meet the enemy on his own terms and have one big ass tool kit to draw your weapons from.

I shoot a LOT (3G, USPSA/IDPA, smallbore, sporting clays) and I get my ass handed to me on a fairly regular basis. In almost any given match I am ecstatic to stay in the top 15%, unless it's 3G which is the only one I have a chance of winning. While at a military vintage match an adventure racing buddy (also a Ranger) and I were talking about the incredibly fat guys who would likely die if asked to walk more than a few blocks (without a smoke break) and were also kicking our asses in shooting. Have you ever had someone with a globe sight equipped rifle beat you and your scoped rifle? Inside of 200 yards this has happened to me. We've all shot with the guy who blew out the x-ring at some insane distance on a windy day then had enough difficulty getting up off his shooting mat that you would swear he was both drugged and staked to the ground. There are guys who can shoot, and there are guys who can move. I prefer to do both. Browse a few pics of almost any USPSA match and you will wonder if you're looking at a sporting event or a support group for unhealthy people. But good Lord I would not want to stake my life on a fast draw with some of these guys.

This comes straight from the USPSA rule book:

1.1.2 Quality – The value of an USPSA match is determined by the quality
of the challenge presented in the course design. Courses of fire must be
designed primarily to test a competitor’s USPSA shooting skills, not
their physical abilities.

WTF is that code for!? Is not breath control part of shooting? If your heart and respiratory rates are never above that which you might enjoy while staring at the layout of the various keys on the remote control while your wife watches The Bachelorette, then what sort of person are these courses designed for? (I was going to say "forced" to watch the show but that's not really true... I know that if I want to shoot this afternoon I have to make sacrifices quite willingly). There has to be a choice on what to do with each of our 24 hours a day. I choose to go for a jog or hit the gym instead of adding in an extra range session, which no doubt is part of the reason I'm still chasing a master classification. Others choose differently. I also work a lot and when I travel I bring a SIRT pistol to dry fire with. This probably costs me some business development opportunities as I choose to skip some dinners with clients in order to practice, or get a swim in.

To beat the topic up a bit more, I went from a B rating to an A without taking ONE SINGLE STRIDE. I think I had only a few shuffles left and right of about 12 or so inches. If you are not familiar with USPSA classifier matches, I am here to tell you that movement of any sort (other than your hands) is rarely required. Sliding your feet around in a 3 ft sq box or squatting no further than you would to grab dish washing detergent from underneath the kitchen sink do not count for what I would call movement. Yes, field course are different, but you can blow them with affecting your classification. There are guys who will choose to not attend a particular classifier because it may call for the shooter to move some few feet between shooting boxes. There is no need to stake out or stalk your target, or take the time to properly identify it. And ID might mean finger prints or voice recognition or a particular tattoo. There is no need to figure out what weapon is best suited for your targets demise. I'm not talking about the difference between using a 223 for shorter range matches versus a 338 Lapua for the longer stuff, I'm talking about lasing it for a JDAM versus M24 versus calling artillery. And that's even if you can find it in the first place. I know guys who will set up a classifier in their basement to run it through a hundred times then contest the match results because a target was placed 4'8" high instead of the 5' called for in the standard. Can you imagine how that shit would go over in the military?

Then there's the issue of cost. On the extreme side, a woman I work with dates a SEAL sniper. This guy loves to shoot and I get to hear about all of the cool toys he plays with (because I ask him every time I get the chance). But you would have to have one serious income to afford this stuff in civilian life to both buy and to feed these weapons. Consider that I have 2 sisters who are LEOs. Both enjoy shooting, one of them would do it every day if she could afford to. There is NO WAY an average LEO can afford the round count of a top competitive shooter (not to mention expensive weaponry, gunsmithing, travel costs...). I earn more than 4 times what they earn and I still have to budget my rounds. A few times a year I will send a case of ammo to each of them. The paltry amount of practice ammo provided by their departments is shameful. Then there's training costs. I paid for one of them to attend a well known shooting school and she got training she would never have received from her department.

I shoot with a cop who is one of the best pistol shooters in the country. He loves being a cop, but has a side business to fund his very busy Dillon presses. He would not be a top shooter if he didn't do this, and at great sacrifice to his personal life. I am happy that such a guy is on the local force. At the same time I am well acquainted with the very poor skills of most of his co-workers. Like another poster said above, the public assumes these guys are proficient with their weapon, and most simply are not.

The OP was only talking about shooting skills. Comparing the 2 groups in any general sense in fact makes no sense. But yes, most definitely, I think military shooters and LEOs would do well to engage in a bit of civilian competitive shooting. And those same competitions would be more interesting if the civilians allowed the military guys to have a hand in course design, which will likely cause you to expand your tool kit, and your lungs.

Last edited:
Kraig, interesting topic. A few observations:

1) The over-arching answer might be that few people understand the incompetence with which things of great importance are done; and fewer still experience the frustration that results from it.

2) Neither our military, nor any sniper school that I know of, either encourages or rewards such narrow specialization.

3) Good shooters make better shooters than are most snipers in the same way that triathletes make better soldiers than are most sport shooters.

4) The ability to use issued substandard equipment well is itself a skill.

Tell me Kraig or anyone else on here, did you see it any different in your units? Did you honestly have the time and resources to conduct live fire on a weekly basis?

I'll start this response by first saying that Vietnam is history, not doctrine, but I want to use it as an example.

I was in a Recon Plt, HHC 2/502nd IN 101st Abn Div in SE Asia. We went to field for 30-60 days (sometimes more) at a time. When we came back from the field, we'd get rid of all our ammo and replace it with new stuff. We did this by finding a secure place just outside the wire and shoot it up.

It was fun, kind of a mad minute deal. Then we got a new 2nd LT. Kind of a nerdy guy, (though back then we didn't know about nerds). He came up with the idea, instead of just blasting, we'd set up targets, confirm zeros, do some qualification, then with the rest some good old fashion target practice. Some, I should say most, whined like Yankees, complaining about this shave tail, new in country, what does he know about patrolling? Etc, Etc. Some of us enjoyed the idea of improving our marksmanship abilities.

But it improved the marksmanship abilities of the platoon.

I am totally aware of the fight for training time. I'm aware of the limits on units when it comes to training ammo. I'm also aware that you can get some damn good marksmanship training without ever firing a shot. It's called dry firing. I'm also aware that any sort of practice may be difficult while deployed. But I'm not talking about deployments necessary.

I refuse to believe (excluding deployment) that there is anyone out there, be it Military, LE, Sports Shooter, or hunter that cannot train and practice. There is dry firing, there is small bore, there is air guns. What is lacking is ambition, what is not lacking is excuses.

Some of the best practice I got, was after I got tired of college kids making me look like an idiot in ISU Air Rifle Shooting. I set out targets in my house and practiced, day in and day out, min. an hour a day. No driving to the range, no time hauling stuff to the truck and back. Just shooting 10 meters in my house. There are few houses, apartments, or what ever that don't have a straight line 33 feet. The thing about air guns is they are unforgiving, the magnify errors. And it carried over to my rifle shooting, air pistols carried over to my LE Service Revolver shooting..

There are opportunities out there that people don't take advantage of. I was a firearms instructor for my dept. At least once a month, (more if we had the people) I would be pulled off the street to run qualifications for my shift. Dispatch would call officers that weren't on call and send them to the range. Way too many found excuses not to come. They'd go to lunch, or coffee, or even make phony traffic stops, anything to keep from shooting. Then there were some who'd show up, shoot as many free bullets and as long as they could, until the Ptl. Sgt would come drag them out of the range.

Same with military. I was running a sniper course when a Reg Army LT from Ft Richardson came to me for help. Seems he had a bunch of ammo to get rid of, saying if he didn't get it shot up he'd loose his ammo allocation for the next year. I said I would, so he drops off 35 K rounds of 5.56, and 24 K rounds of link 7.62. I got it shot up for him, but wouldn't that ammo been put to better use is his people shot it.

Seems like if one carried a rifle or pistol for a living they would want to do anything possible to be proficient with that rifle or pistol.

Many here, do practice, and practice as much as possible, I'm not addressing my comments to them.

I don't know anyone on these forums, I know nothing about them but what I read from their post. So I'm not addressing my comments to any one individual, but to the shooting community as a whole. You know who I'm talking about, just from the responses. But only the individual knows if he/she takes the initiative on their own to improve their craft, or do the depend on the training NCO, or department firearms instructor, to provide the training they need.

And those same competitions would be more interesting if the civilians allowed the military guys to have a hand in course design, which will likely cause you to expand your tool kit, and your lungs.

I would LOVE to see this, absolutely love it.

I would LOVE to see this, absolutely love it.
It's already happening: Cody put together a very well thought-out nav route at the 24HSAC last year. The shooting challenges were also realistic given the physical and psychological condition of the competitors.

It's already happening: Cody put together a very well thought-out nav route at the 24HSAC last year. The shooting challenges were also realistic given the physical and psychological condition of the competitors.

yes and no, you can't make a match that focuses only on the physcial aspect and not on the shooting or very little on it. Just like you can't make a match where the time limits are so it doesn't pay to run. I do not believe that happy medium has been found yet. The only place i've seen it is in the actual international sniper competitions open only to LEO and MIL.

yes and no, you can't make a match that focuses only on the physcial aspect and not on the shooting or very little on it. Just like you can't make a match where the time limits are so it doesn't pay to run. I do not believe that happy medium has been found yet. The only place i've seen it is in the actual international sniper competitions open only to LEO and MIL.
Cody's match was pretty good. I didn't see or hear the military guys turning-up their noses at any of it. I haven't competed in the military-only matches, but the shooting skill standards of those matches are much lower than in the civilian matches. The stalking in them, however, is a match-director's dream... If only we had a week to hold a civilian match.

You have to get there, and then worry about getting back.

Observation, Communication, Land Navigation, all play just as big a roll in it, if not bigger.

Came here to post pretty much this.

Hammelburg, you get there and the first 2 days you are shooting with a 22LR at KD targets for time and then as a 2 man team after some instruction. This was done to see how you mastered the basics of very basic shooting and then how you A. followed instruction and B. applied it as a team with someone you knew all of maybe 1 day at that point.

After that, shooting was not a main teaching point. It occurred, but mainly as a drill in conjunction with something else. When it did occur, it was a few shots and maybe a corrective measure (if needed) but laying around all day hammering out rounds at steel or paper next to never happened. One instructor told us during a team meeting that he was effective out to over 10km; all of us wanted to scream bullshit as we knew the listed effective range of the G22 was around 1100m. What we failed to account for was that his effectiveness also encompassed observation techniques and a radio.

As far as being more/less accurate, you have to take into perspective that I am not trying to hit you in the eye, I 95% of the time have only a rough guess as to how far away you are from me, and there are 20 other factors coming into play that at times I simply can't account/calculate for because of time constraints or I just simply don't know. I take everything I can into account and put the reticle in relation to the target that gives me the largest chance of scoring a hit because even if I made a perfect shot chances are that all of the combined variables aren't putting the round right on the center of my aim.

I have to be certain I can make a hit or I do not take the shot; this is a whole different philosophy compared to thinking of a success as getting only the 10 ring.

Last edited:

kraig will never NOT stop talking about it was for HIM and if HE did it, everyone else can because op tempo and everything else is apparently unchanged from the 70's

Indeed. Not sure why this would be surprising. When I used to shoot at Quantico, the Marines rifle team was there ALL THE DAMN TIME, shooting. They were sick of it because they did it so much. I'd bet dollars to donuts that the sheer mental fatigue of so much shooting probably hurt their scores a little. If they were not better than everyone else, snipers included, then THAT would be surprising.

I'm aware shooting isn't all there is to it, the article was addressing the shooting part. If you can't shoot then you might as well just get in a recon plt.

I'm aware of that, but I'm also aware that if you can't shoot on the range you wont be able to shoot when the chips are down.

I would have to agree and disagree at the same time. I'm far from a stellar shot, but I don't get any worse in combat. There were several instances where I surprised myself, and the other 8 lads did the same. In combat, your focus is insane. It amazes me that when things get hot, you feel like you can feel every air molecule you breathe in, and feel like you can feel every stitch in your clothing. My point? I forget to do anything except what I'm trained to do when shit gets real. That means I forget to anticipate recoil etc. All my comrades are the same way, I'm sure it's not a fluke phenomena. Never once did we fail a mission, which was almost always overwatch for the clearing of Sadr city, or setting up an OP to which Kalhid's gooneys. An awesome range commando wouldn't have made it up the 13 stories worth of stairs in 125 degree heat to set up in the first place. Nor could they fit anywhere near the amount of Copenhagen in their mouth as I.

I'm a believer that shooting the likes of hi power and such are not comparable in the least to actually accomplishing a mission. Apples vs. Goat cheese. Then again, I could be jealous, because most of them can outshoot me on a one way range.

...and, I met my daughter for the first time when she was 7 months old. I spend maybe a couple months with my wife for the first two years of marriage due to training and deployments. To take the minute time I had with them and trade it for target practice would have made me less of a man. I'm not good, but I'm good enough to do what is required to keep my friends alive when that is the task at hand. I'll trust the mediocre shots that watch my back to make a shot that counts anyway over a whiz bang range commando.

Where is it written you can't do both? It would improve your abilities on both ends of the spectrum.

The will to win means nothing if you don't have the will to prepare.

I prepared a lot, that's why I almost never saw them. I see what you're saying though. Our unit had good enough funding and leadership that we got to shoot a lot, to where it almost took the fun out of it. Another thing, take pretty much any competition shooter and have them shoot sideways under a car, or from the door of a blackhawk, and I think you would see a difference. I see where you are coming from and I'm not busting on you, just adding my perspective on the matter, though it's not worth a lot, I'll offer it for free, or donations.

I think some of those with military experience will agree with me that the decision to practice was made several pay grades above mine. It involved the time, facility and materials. I think it was always assumed we could shoot when the time came. Meanwhile there were other dance cards to punch. Marksman ship practice wasn't work it was the fun part of the job. We didn't get it as much as we wanted. I marvel at today's service men in how much more complicated their job has become and how much more technical. I am sure they have lots and lots of dance cards they have to punch.

I have to add I was not a sniper but a 96C Interrogator. I will say we were last ones in and first ones out. The sniper teams were first in and last out. They carried more equipment than anyone else and in general I thought it was a pretty shitty job. It probably still is and takes a special person to undertake it. Shooting is a part but not the biggest part of the job. Besides qualifying expert three times ain't no gimme either.

Last edited:
In Reply

Amen to the back watchers...

...and, I met my daughter for the first time when she was 7 months old. I spend maybe a couple months with my wife for the first two years of marriage due to training and deployments. To take the minute time I had with them and trade it for target practice would have made me less of a man. I'm not good, but I'm good enough to do what is required to keep my friends alive when that is the task at hand. I'll trust the mediocre shots that watch my back to make a shot that counts anyway over a whiz bang range commando.