• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting sling wishlist?

ScottDWallace

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2018
Austin, TX
What would be your ideal shooting sling for competition? Thinking PRS/NRL style matches. Any must have features? Any thing you would eliminate in the goal of simplicity and speed? I'm less looking for links to current products, and more a discussion of what you make if you could bring any features together.

Short Action Precision has it figured out. Easy to adjust, wide for comfort, loop hole for unsupported stages, and comes with qd attachments.

Reactions: jacer961
I bought, while ago, the Tab Gear Pinnacle sling. It's a fantastic sling. My only change would be to remove the rear buckle, in the slung position that buckle rubs hard against the vertebrae and it not comfy for a slung practice session. Good news is you can get it that way if you want!

Tab Pinnacle Sling

Reactions: J-Ham and Fig
Have you ever used that cuff at a match? To me it just gets in the way and is a PITA. I have a SAP with and without the cuff, and I like the plain one way better. Its very rare that I don’t ditch my sling shooting a stage unless I’m going to actually use it. I like the TAB sling because the fast adjust has a lot of strap, so you can make it big or small without having to think about it.

I started with a looped sling, but yeah, what a monumental hassle! The Tab sling doesn't have an arm loop and in the prone slung where I used to use the loop the most, I'm very happy. ALso the adjustment on the tab sling is very fast and smooth. Minus the rear buckle issue (personal for me probably), I think it's perfect for slung up shooting. I know I'm fan boying here but prior to Tab I tried the FTW sling, the various looped ones and nothing was anything more than an exercise in frustration.

I've not shot A LOT of matches, but I've never had cause to use a sling while shooting a stage. And, I've found that I rarely use it to move from stage to stage. And and, they are usually in the way if they are on the rifle but not in use while shooting.

I've not shot at a comp recently, at all... but last time I did, there were a couple of sling stages. Regardless though, shooting isn't just and only about comps, that would be a shame if it were because there's something noble about being proficient in the art of the rifle in all aspects - target shooting, freehand, positional, ranging with the reticle, etc. IMHO anyway.

Most of my rifles are equipped with magpul ms4 slings. Lighter weight and easier to use than a leather m1908 sling. Easier to get into than- and nearly as steady as- an SAP sling. And, they make a pretty good carry sling. Unlike most other adjustable web slings, they have a “tail-less” design that doesn’t leave you swimming in unused webbing when the rifle is cinched close to the body.

if you must have a loop in a nylon webbing sling, I’d go with the SAP or FTW. I have the SAP, but lean toward the FTW as it is more easily adjustable for carry. That said, my wood stocked Hunting rifles sport m1908 slings. My match rifles and msr rifles sport ms4 slings. If I could add a loop to an ms4 while retaining its other features, it would be the perfect sling- to me.

I’ll throw another into the mix, Rifles Only bungee sling, well throughout, quality workmanship.

This is what I'd like to make, a blend of features from other slings I've used like the Armageddon Gear, TIS, and TAB Gear Slings.

Made from the same nylon material but with a little more length on the front end than an AG PRS sling but without the quick release buckle and an elastic keeper to help keep the tail in check like on the loophole slings. The loop wouldn't be free running, it'd be run through a triglide like on the TIS and TAB Gear slings so the loop will hold if you need to move around some. Instead of a simple loop to connect the backend there's a parachute d-ring so you can clip the sling to your belt if you want to use it with a tripod, that's why the front end has some extra length to it and there's a velcro keeper like on a rigger's belt to keep it from banging around. The back end is slick so that it rides over the back and around the neck clean if you want to use it in a hasty fashion.

1590765262149.png

I've never actually bought a sling, I've ended up making my own.
I've tried a few different styles and layouts and have ended up with one much like the Armageddon PRS sling, minus the arm cuff.

I don't like using arm cuffs, it's to easy to get muddled and get caught in it or have it way too tight and have difficulty releasing tension, I've also found that having tension right around your back is more stable than the arm cuff.
My slings don't have a bungee section but I think this is a must have, it means you can get a nicely tensioned position without the risk of ending up too short and having movement hindered.

I also think that slings need to be 1.5" wide as I find it less likely to twist as well as digs in around your back/arm pit less.
It does pose a slight issue in that most sling swivels are 1" but I've got mine working with no issues.

Reactions: Ravenworks
Here's the sling I use;

The triglide above the two silver stitch lines should really be a D-ring but it works as it is.
The other 3 triglides allow all sections of the sling can be individually adjusted.

I like having the buckle as the tensioning method, it's the easiest section to access if you do find yourself needing to 'escape' from the sling.

sling.jpg

I see using the shooter's loop as a deliberate thing to use when you have the time to get into it and get adjusted but that being said, with practice they can be quick to get in and out of. I don't understand what there is to get muddled and caught up in because this isn't something I've experienced myself. I generally know what adjustment feels right for sitting and kneeling and get right into those positions.

If time is a factor then across the back can be very stable and effective but for me not quite as stable as using a loop. I do agree that the bungee section of slings like the Rifles Only and AG slings give it a lot of flexibility in the adjustments, especially if you have to make a quick snap shot and only have time to bring the gun up. I've done this at carbine matches shooting a plate rack offhand, I'll tension the sling up to give me some stability. Also agree on the 1.5" webbing as being a requirement for precision rifles, I've used thinner slings and it's a night and day difference when it comes to function and comfort.

I might build my sling, might make a few changes but I need to find someone to sew it up.

I see using the shooter's loop as a deliberate thing to use when you have the time to get into it and get adjusted but that being said, with practice they can be quick to get in and out of. I don't understand what there is to get muddled and caught up in because this isn't something I've experienced myself. I generally know what adjustment feels right for sitting and kneeling and get right into those positions.

If time is a factor then across the back can be very stable and effective but for me not quite as stable as using a loop. I do agree that the bungee section of slings like the Rifles Only and AG slings give it a lot of flexibility in the adjustments, especially if you have to make a quick snap shot and only have time to bring the gun up. I've done this at carbine matches shooting a plate rack offhand, I'll tension the sling up to give me some stability. Also agree on the 1.5" webbing as being a requirement for precision rifles, I've used thinner slings and it's a night and day difference when it comes to function and comfort.

I might build my sling, might make a few changes but I need to find someone to sew it up.

If you are setting yourself is a single position then the arm cuff works ok, it's when you do it quickly or are changing positions it becomes an issue, especially going from prone where it's sinched up tight, to another position.

I found myself less likely to use the arm cuff for that reason and was more stable/accurate without it so decided to just get rid of it.

Although it adds to the cost, since you have to get two products... I use a TIS quick cuff and SAP sling together. Remove/cut off the female connector on the SAP sling, leaving the male connector in place as it comes with the sling; slide the female connector onto a TIS quick cuff, and you are good to go. The TIS quick cuff wraps around the bicep, has velcro to fasten it -- you can leave it on up there loose and it is out of the way, or tighten it up when you need to use it. The SAP sling has that quick length adjustment clamp, so once you are buckled in you can easily make the sling tighter, say for kneeling or sitting, and loosen it for a prone shot.

I find trying to get into the SAP arm loop that comes with the sling takes me too long, inevitably it slides down my bicep while I am trying to tighten it while on the clock, and I don't seem to get the advantage the sling should provide as a result.

If you are setting yourself is a single position then the arm cuff works ok, it's when you do it quickly or are changing positions it becomes an issue, especially going from prone where it's sinched up tight, to another position.

I found myself less likely to use the arm cuff for that reason and was more stable/accurate without it so decided to just get rid of it.

That hasn't really been my experience either, with the AG sling, I can loop up and still quickly adjust when changing positions, I've even done it on the clock. My only gripe with the AG sling is the positioning of the quick release buckle, depending on the rifle set up, it digs into the back of my hand when slung up, which is why I'd opt for a ladderlock buckle. My preference is to have a sling with a loop so that it's available if the need arises because I'm comfortable with using it. As they say, different strokes for different folks.

Did you sew your sling up yourself?

This is what I'd like to make, a blend of features from other slings I've used like the Armageddon Gear, TIS, and TAB Gear Slings.

Made from the same nylon material but with a little more length on the front end than an AG PRS sling but without the quick release buckle and an elastic keeper to help keep the tail in check like on the loophole slings. The loop wouldn't be free running, it'd be run through a triglide like on the TIS and TAB Gear slings so the loop will hold if you need to move around some. Instead of a simple loop to connect the backend there's a parachute d-ring so you can clip the sling to your belt if you want to use it with a tripod, that's why the front end has some extra length to it and there's a velcro keeper like on a rigger's belt to keep it from banging around. The back end is slick so that it rides over the back and around the neck clean if you want to use it in a hasty fashion.

View attachment 7338750
I had one like this made and liked it so much I had him make me another one except with padding.
The way he did the padding was he used paracord and weaved it.
I absolutely love the 2nd one best if you're looking at a long day in the feild humping

He can make anything you want made and he's a veteran to boot.

That hasn't really been my experience either, with the AG sling, I can loop up and still quickly adjust when changing positions, I've even done it on the clock. My only gripe with the AG sling is the positioning of the quick release buckle, depending on the rifle set up, it digs into the back of my hand when slung up, which is why I'd opt for a ladderlock buckle. My preference is to have a sling with a loop so that it's available if the need arises because I'm comfortable with using it. As they say, different strokes for different folks.

Did you sew your sling up yourself?

Yeah sewed it myself.
Have industrial machines at work, this was supposed to be a prototype hence it's a little roughly finished but I've been using it for 2-3 years now and it's holding up great

I know what you mean about the buckle laying on your hand, that's why I allowed the front sections to be fully adjustable length, also I like being able to change between sling swivels and qd mounts.

I initially made my own design just so I could determine what features and layouts I liked as there were so many different options.
I'd enquired with Armageddon about making modifications to their existing designs and they were happy to do anything I wanted, but I ended up just using my prototype one.
I imagine most companies could do a custom build as it's not difficult to sew up.

Reactions: WDN-K-9
I don’t really know why, other than they work for me but, every rifle other than my AR15 platforms end up with the Kopfjager from HTI.
8BAAD881-EFF1-4491-A06A-DF3691AEEE8D.jpeg