• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short Action 284Win Experiences

Re: Short Action 284Win Experiences

The .284win ctg case yields same performance as .30-06 case.
IF you are concerned about magazine feeding in your action, consider that the .284 case is .010 thinner than standard belted magnum case body ahead of the belt and thinner by .032 at the belt. Most LA receivers have same dimension for 06 and std magnum cases. Likely, dimension is same on standard SA receivers, so shouldn't need to modify receiver rails.

Probably would need to substitute a magnum follower for an 06 follower if you have feeding issues. The SAUM and WSM followers are wider than standard magnum followers. Likely, easiest solution is to widen a .308 follower IF you want that .284 case.

Might look at going Ackley Improved as an easy compromise. .308AI is not too common, but dies are available. Probably cheaper than paying for a lot of gunsmithing work.

The .308AI is really the perfect solution if not chasing utmost velocity, but want a bit more capacity and minimal trimming characteristics that might be a major goal of going .284... Enables you to still fire standard .308 rounds. The .260AI is pretty common these days. 7mm-08AI offers similar, maybe best result for SA gun given the bullet range.

Any updates from anyone? I know Turbo54 and myself are close to getting some results after both of us have had some unexpected delays.

Quickie update to those following this thread. I ran 5 by an Oehler 35 today.

Load was 52.5gr RE17, 162amax, 2.950" COAL.

Average velocity of 2948 fps

No pressure signs.

To recap, my freebore is .088"

I have a 24' .284 barrel for my M2008. Went through all this this past summer. I was inspired by the article on 6mm br as well. I'm loading 53.5 gns of RL17, COAL of 2.985 into Lapua brass. launched the 162 Amax @ 2950fps.

54 gns gave me 3010fps with very slight ejector swipe.

BTW: QL was no where close on this one.

The 2948fps load was ~.75+ moa. Nothing special, but is also based on just slightly more than zero development.

any updates?
i have a surgeon 591 and a manners MCS-T with mini chassis just sitting here at the house looking for something to do.

Nope, not really - but my barrel and action are off for melonite tomorrow, so I should be able to start playing with it again in about a week - as long as H&M don't lose any of my bits/pieces.