• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Short Barrel 223 for Cheap ?s

DrewinTejas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2011
McKinney, Tx
I have a friend looking for a truck gun for his ranch he works the cattle on in Central Texas. There is a coyote problem down there now with the cattle due to no rain. Im trying to figure out a cheap truck gun setup like a rem 700 223 chopped to 18" or maybe a tikka 223 chopped. Could we do this out of a regular sporter contour barrel or would a varmit profile barrel be that much better. Would just be for shots up to 250yds. We are on a budget for about 700 for the whole setup. Any help would be great.

Re: Short Barrel 223 for Cheap ?s

Take a look at the Remington 700 Tactical in .223... Might find a used one in that range..

IF NOT...

Search for MOSSBERG MVP... Its a NEW .223 out by them and is going fairly cheap as well...

Matt

Camo Stevens .223 with the sporter barrel chopped would be a good truck/coyote gun. You can get it with the optic and mounts for less than $500 easy.

In fact... here is something that I found rather quickly.

DK

stevens 200 with camo stock in 223 with nikon scope

Stevens 200 with the realtree hardwoods stock and blued barrel and action. Has a nikon 3-9x40 pro staff scope with BDC reticle. Gun is super clean and whole set up looks brand new.. Will take $400 with scope, or $325 for just the gun., and may consider a PARTIAL trade of a youth 20 gauge. Can text pics later this afternoon.

Thanks
Chad 573-561-3435

Is that Steves barrel threaded so it could be removed by my smith and chop it down and recrown?

The barrel has the barrel nut, just like the other Savages. It can be easily removed, cut, and recrowned for next to nothing.

It is a really good gun for hunting. I like them alot.

DK

Sounds like a hell of a deal, my dealer has them for $314 new, cut recrown probably $75, vortex diamond back $249.00, mounts $60, and some paint nothing 698.00 whole package. Thanks for the help sounds like this is the way to go.

I personally think you will be pleased. The last Stevens that I had, the action was incredibly smooth for such a low priced rifle. It shot really well too, even with cheap factory hunting rounds.

I will be picking up another one in .243 for this season. Enjoy!!

DK

the stevens is a good starting point...but for the price the Mossberg MVP is hard to beat, too....I have one i'm picking up next weekend. uses AR15 mags, fluted bolt, fluted barrel, laminate stock....reports are pretty good, maybe needs some bolt lapping, but that's it...

GSR,

Can you pull that barrel off. Some cheaper rifles have pressed in barrels and are not removable.

I've got one of those Ruger 77 w/ boat paddle stock in 223 for my farm trk gun. Looks like shit, never gets cleaned. When action gets gritty I'll spray whatever is handy on it. Topped with a Leupold 3x9. But it is pure death on coyotes and those sometime black birds that bother newborn calves. Got $275 in the total rig. Thats my version of a farm trk gun. Wish I could post pics, would really impress some on here! krw

If you are looking for a reasonable $$ setup do not be afraid to cut the barrel yourself, I have done a few - cut it off with a portaband(or hacksaw) and file it smooth/square, I use my reloading calipers to check square and get sub MOA this way from cut down varmint profile rem barrels, worst that can happen is you still have to have it crowned