• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Night Vision Short range thermal/nv

Adrenalist

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2020
My ninjas,

I’m looking to do a build that can hopscotch between a .300blk lmt csw and 5.56 14.5” hk416. Obviously not looking for much distance in either setup.

I was originally hoping I could find something like a reflex or holographic, but with thermal/nv.

DA7D1A6E-05B6-43D9-ABC5-588B815C2D06.png

Found an eotech dvtws, but it seems it never made it off the drawing board.

FD83C3F3-8AF5-413F-8820-23F76E51FDF6.png

Then there’s also the steiner cqt. It’s weight and bulk immediately makes me apprehensive and question if it defeats the purpose. ...And I’m not quite sure if I love or hate the Mad Max aesthetics.

Are there any other examples of this type nv/thermal on the market? If price were no object, what would you recommend for a short range setup?

There is also the Sig Sauer Echo scopes. The Echo1 is usually dirt cheap on the used market. I thought I saw one in the PX a while back.

Reactions: Adrenalist
I've heard good things about the Steiner one from people who have messed with it.

Reactions: Adrenalist
There is also the Sig Sauer Echo scopes. The Echo1 is usually dirt cheap on the used market. I thought I saw one in the PX a while back.
Looked through the echo at about ten yards at a human and was not impressed I feel like at the point where it’s helpful you could use a light and rmr and get better results

Looked through the echo at about ten yards at a human and was not impressed I feel like at the point where it’s helpful you could use a light and rmr and get better results
The one I looked at was the “reflex sight.” I can’t speak for the other configuration

There's a new generation out, the Echo3. I wonder if it is any better?

Also, does anybody know of any of these small thermal images like the Leupold LTO and similar devices (Torey Pines, etc...) that have night vision compatible displays? Like, if I want to look at the thermal without flipping half my binos up for example.

I'd imagine running NV on your off eye and using this with your dominant eye is the way to go.

Agreed, but what I'm thinking is getting something with a more useful display than a COTI while allowing full time I2 usage without having to manipulate the google system.

Reason being is I recently completed my first NV force on force training class and let me tell you, mixed lighting conditions with MFers hiding in shadows ticks me right off.

Maybe I just need to settle on getting a COTI.

I recently picked up a Hogster clip and one of my goals was to be able to clear a house. Reality turned out to be that fov is only 9 degrees and you only get situational awareness if there is enough light to see by. In total darkness it doesn't feel like you can see a room. I'm going to add a laser light to my SBR or maybe PVS-14 monocular head mount and an IR laser.

For me at least I'm glad I have it for detection, but under 25 yards don't want to rely on it for night vision. Across some of the longer stretches on my house, about 40 feet, I can see about a 6 foot wide area.