• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Shot My Tab Gear Suppressor Cover

BearNaked

Beer Saved The World
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Texas
Does anybody else have a hell of time keeping there suppressor covers on?

I pulled an idiot move and its my fault for not checking the cover during my string of fire. I shot it off on the last round and it flew 30 yards down the range and if now ruined. I had the straps as tight as i could get them and it still moved after 10 rounds or so.

Now i am in the market again for a new one so what are yall using that stays on the suppressor.

308 savage model 10
YHM LT 30 cal QD Suppressor
Tab Gear Suppressor Cover

I have an Armageddon that cinches around the back of the can to eliminate the possibility of sliding forward. It's alright I guess but sort of a pain to take on and off and the silencerco asr modules sharp edges rip a decent amount of the liner out each time. I mean not gouges all the way through or anything but a decent amount of fur stays on the can there.

yea the heat of the can really did a number to the inside of this one before i shot it off.

Get a Rifles Only HAD, I got mine .5 inches larger so I can cinch the back end enough, this way it doesn't slide forward. It stays on well.

i really liked my Armageddon Gear covers, but like mentioned here they get pretty frayed on the backend.

I would contact Tony at tab gear. He would have seen this thread already if we weren't in transition. They stand behind their products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well i figure he doesnt insure idiots not doing it right so that is why i didnt contact him. You cant sue Ford because you were texting and driving when you hit the tree. i think it is my fault for not checking it during the 15-20 shot string of fire. i have no problem owning up to it and accepting the failure on me and not the product. I do want something that will stay on better which has always been an issue but like a condom you just pull it back on and go back to work.

I will say that since i have started using that suppressor cover that it has turned my suppressor a slightly different color.

even with that, i would get another one because it did what it was designed to do very good. There was never a mirage from the suppressor even at 24x after a long string. damn thing worked great and looked great. Ill try to get some pictures of it tonight.

Just to make it clear, I am in no way bashing them as i will continue to buy there products. i will always support a local Texas company. they make great stuff.

Last edited:
Smiled when I read this.

I've shot mine off a couple of times in the last few years shooting prairie dogs. Most likely caused by pulling rifle in and out of the car and catching a loose cover on the door-frame. Last time I couldn't figure out how I missed and didn't see the impact. Noticed the cover was missing, laughed at myself and went for a walk to find it. Cover still works fine. just a bit frayed.

You may want to give the Tab SAS3 a look. Has a ridge at the back that prevents it from moving forward under recoil & is available with bungee retention, as well. I've been very happy with mine.

Sas3 may be tough with qd retention. I have the Velcro strip for my tab gear on my spec war, I can get it tighter I feel

Sas3 may be tough with qd retention. I have the Velcro strip for my tab gear on my spec war, I can get it tighter I feel

That is why i didnt go with it. still think it will work if you put it on after you put the suppressor on.

Check Armageddon Gear. Mine tightens around the can and the back of it. Darn near impossible for it to come off.

If i was buying again i'd go Rifles only but i haven't had any issue with my TAB SASR once i tied it down. But the HAD will be going on my Omega and Hybrid. While the SASR will stay on the 30CB9.

I've had the same problem with my TAB. Never had a problem with any of my Armageddon gear covers. Also really liking my 2 Cole-TAC covers and they are really easy to adjust or pull off

took a little longer to get pictures.

here is the suppressor, it doesnt really show up in pictures but the color is supposed to match the barrel which it did a while back. now it has a brownish red tint to it.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"667","width":"500","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/gTq4BHb.jpg"}[/IMG2]

here is the cover

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"667","width":"500","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/7ERk3l8.jpg"}[/IMG2]

here is the end of it where the bullet flew out.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"667","width":"500","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/CiddIfv.jpg"}[/IMG2]

here is the front of it.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"667","width":"500","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/1TOTYvy.jpg"}[/IMG2]

i put it back on and tightened it down as tight as i could get it. we will see what happens this weekend at a match i am going to.

took a little longer to get pictures.

here is the suppressor, it doesnt really show up in pictures but the color is supposed to match the barrel which it did a while back. now it has a brownish red tint to it.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"667","width":"500","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/gTq4BHb.jpg"}[/IMG2]

here is the cover

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"667","width":"500","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/7ERk3l8.jpg"}[/IMG2]

here is the end of it where the bullet flew out.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"667","width":"500","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/CiddIfv.jpg"}[/IMG2]

here is the front of it.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"667","width":"500","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/1TOTYvy.jpg"}[/IMG2]

i put it back on and tightened it down as tight as i could get it. we will see what happens this weekend at a match i am going to.

Just curious but did you have the rear of the cover back past the end (threaded end) so when tightened it sort of catches? This will leave a bit of uncovered suppressor sticking out of the front. I have several hundred rounds down range and never had it move at all. I will say that even when removing the suppressor I slide the cover back over the barrel. So maybe over time the cover has developed a lip or rim to help. just a thought.

Just curious but did you have the rear of the cover back past the end (threaded end) so when tightened it sort of catches? This will leave a bit of uncovered suppressor sticking out of the front. I have several hundred rounds down range and never had it move at all. I will say that even when removing the suppressor I slide the cover back over the barrel. So maybe over time the cover has developed a lip or rim to help. just a thought.

Great thought. i have thought about it but then I figured it would get mirage so i stopped that thought. i have never tested it but i will get it a try. I tightened the ever loving dog shit out of it this time to see if it will move. i cant really even slide it right now it is so tight. not like i can ruin it any more, right?

Reactions: quicklx
I have a Col TAC cover that works awesome. It has 3 straps that really cinch it onto the can and I haven't had any issues yet with overheating or coming loose. Little spendy but I think its worth it

i bought a 7' rifles only cover on amazon last year. yep it slides off easily on anything above a 223 caliber. so its pretty much an expensive oven mit

the only thing i use it for now is to protect me supressor from the range to the safe

I had a TAB SAS3. With the cinch at the back on both my Ops Inc 12th and 3rd Models, They never shot off and slipped quite easily to allow the can to cool. Since I shredded the back end of mine with my Superlative gas block venting, I bought SAS-Rs to replace them. I have them cinched down pretty tight and they don't move at all. You have to tighten the strings from back to front, like lacing boots to make the pressure around the can nearly equal.

I had a TAB SAS3. With the cinch at the back on both my Ops Inc 12th and 3rd Models, They never shot off and slipped quite easily to allow the can to cool. Since I shredded the back end of mine with my Superlative gas block venting, I bought SAS-Rs to replace them. I have them cinched down pretty tight and they don't move at all. You have to tighten the strings from back to front, like lacing boots to make the pressure around the can nearly equal.

that is what i did now. i shot a match this weekend and it didnt move after i put the death grip of tightness on it.

i bought a 7' rifles only cover on amazon last year. yep it slides off easily on anything above a 223 caliber. so its pretty much an expensive oven mit

the only thing i use it for now is to protect me supressor from the range to the safe

Yup. Grazed the muzzle end of my Rifles Only 9" just yesterday. I keep tightening it, but I might just have to give up on shooting suppressed if covers keep coming off since the whole point is mirage abatement.

Yup. Grazed the muzzle end of my Rifles Only 9" just yesterday. I keep tightening it, but I might just have to give up on shooting suppressed if covers keep coming off since the whole point is mirage abatement.

That is what i am thinking for matches is to just run a muzzle brake on it and then for fun shoot it suppressed.

Another Rifles Only owner here, and just like everyone else mine will not stay put. Drives me nuts, If they put a lip on the back or some kind of retention system it would be great. Until then, it is a crap product in my mind.

Ordering a armageddon cover as we speak.

I have three Armageddon's and have never had an issue with them coming off. I recently however had one melt to the suppressor after one 30rd mag of 3 round bursts. I dropped the empty and loaded the next, fired off two rounds and noticed the front of the gun smoking really bad so I stopped. It was a really cold day and raining so I thought I was seeing steam but it was the cover melting away. Left a nice greasy spot on the can that starts smoking when it heats up now, just need to keep shooting until it all burns off.

The website clearly states that it is not built for rapid firing which I was doing so no gripe about the product. I did think it would stand up to more than 32 rounds before melting though.

Attachments

• photo49032.jpg
    photo49032.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 42
  • photo49033.jpg
    photo49033.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 43
I had several before finding cole-tac. Ive been happy with it ever since. The straps keep it nice and tight and doesn't move one bit.

Talk to Tony. He is a super stand up guy. Even if he doesn't warranty idiots, as you call it, he could recommend the right fit for your needs. TAB is the original and they know their stuff.

Another Rifles Only owner here, and just like everyone else mine will not stay put. Drives me nuts, If they put a lip on the back or some kind of retention system it would be great. Until then, it is a crap product in my mind.

Ordering a armageddon cover as we speak.

Are you locking that last loop of cord around the barrel?

The cord won't melt, tried 4 twenty round mags on a rugged surge.
Cover was almost too hot to remove so I can let the suppressor cool off.

It becomes impossible to remove until the cord lock is loosened up and the loop is positioned back on top of the cover.

A friend showed me the loop trick and it helped, I still cant make it tight enough to keep it from sliding. From what I understand my HAD cover is harder to tighten down than the MAD cover.

The armageddon gear cover stays put but is not as good with the mirage mitigation after long strings of fire. Works well for most bolt gun situations though.

Are you locking that last loop of cord around the barrel?

The cord won't melt, tried 4 twenty round mags on a rugged surge.
Cover was almost too hot to remove so I can let the suppressor cool off.

It becomes impossible to remove until the cord lock is loosened up and the loop is positioned back on top of the cover.

i havent tried the loop around the barrel yet because i have found that if you put the death grip on the strings then it wont come off or even flinch. the only issue is that it becomes a bitch to take on and off to check the serial # when i go to the local ranges when they check my paperwork.

I haven't had any trouble out of the geddon because of the reasons people have already listed.

Here is my little contribution:

I have found the cole-tac WILL slip forward if you don't really tighten the straps.

Most of y'all wouldn't do this, because it looks weird and isn't tacticool:

But I've found the cole-tac I purchased for my Hybrid works absolutely great on Omega. Omega is shorter, 3rd strap can be tightened behind can (over barrel). That that bugger can never slide forward...

i havent tried the loop around the barrel yet because i have found that if you put the death grip on the strings then it wont come off or even flinch. the only issue is that it becomes a bitch to take on and off to check the serial # when i go to the local ranges when they check my paperwork.

Wow, they check your S/N and paper when you go to the range ? The State of Washington legalized suppressed weapons discharge about three years ago or so. I go to my local range and they could care less. I asked them about it one time and they said that "they don't care, I am solely responsible for operation within the law". Fair statement, but I can understand if other clubs want to fend off a possible shit storm because of someone showing up with un-registered stuff. I carry all my paper at all times, printed, on memory stick and e-mailed to myself.

I have an Omega for my bolt guns and an Armageddon Gear cover. The tightening mechanism for the cover is elastic shock cord routed through sewn in channels and a spring clip that lightly pinches the shock cord, just like on backpacks. The back end of the cover has the channel sewn in all the way around. You tighten up the cord enough that the inner diameter of the cover is smaller than the can diameter. It stays put just fine and (unless I do something stupid) will never come loose/move forward. Through use, I have found an intermediate tension on the shock cord that allows me to easily pull the cover backwards off the can, as well as easily just sliding the cover back over the can, all with no adjusting.

All in all, I'm happy with the Armegeddon Gear cover.

Technically, only BATF has jurisdiction over a can and its legality in states where they are legal. You aren't required to show anyone but issuing agency that Form 1 or Form 4.

Now it is their range and if they get snotty they can restrict your access.

thread and nuke,

i know by law i dont have to show them but they can kick me off of their property and which defeats the whole purpose of going to the range in the first place. I am legal so i really dont care. it is a hassel but just something i choose to put up with because arguing will take about an hr at which time i am still not shooting where as just showing them gets me on the firing line in 1 min. most of that min is putting the cover back on.

I have the same mentality about a CHL/LTC (concealed handgun license), all these people just want to be youtube stars or drama queens with cops. I have nothing to hide so i just show them my id if i am asked by a cop and then 15 sec later i go on with my day. its not worth it in my eyes. i would rather that cop be out stopping actual criminals than wasting his time with me who is not a criminal.

thread and nuke,

i know by law i dont have to show them but they can kick me off of their property and which defeats the whole purpose of going to the range in the first place. I am legal so i really dont care. it is a hassel but just something i choose to put up with because arguing will take about an hr at which time i am still not shooting where as just showing them gets me on the firing line in 1 min. most of that min is putting the cover back on.

I have the same mentality about a CHL/LTC (concealed handgun license), all these people just want to be youtube stars or drama queens with cops. I have nothing to hide so i just show them my id if i am asked by a cop and then 15 sec later i go on with my day. its not worth it in my eyes. i would rather that cop be out stopping actual criminals than wasting his time with me who is not a criminal.

Yep, fully understand. I've never been asked, but I wouldn't have any problem if I was (by either the range or LE). I am mildly surprised that our range doesn't ask, but that's their prerogative. If it would keep the range's name out of the papers because they had asked someone that wasn't legal and ejected them from the property, I'd almost prefer they start asking. I'm a member there and the good Seattle liberals have been trying to shut the range down for decades. They could care less about the reason; anything to further their agenda is a good reason.

Having the range eject someone is far preferable to having ATF/LE showing up and finding someone that is not legal. Again, the wait time is a PITA, but the legal channel is there and available. It is not worth the risk of doing something stupid/illegal. I sure don't lose any sleep at night, secure in the knowledge that if asked, all I have to do is pull out my paperwork and that's that.

Last edited:
Technically, only BATF has jurisdiction over a can and its legality in states where they are legal. You aren't required to show anyone but issuing agency that Form 1 or Form 4.

Now it is their range and if they get snotty they can restrict your access.

Yes, technically. However any range that allows the use of ATF restricted items should do so with the expectation that a person using same be able to show proof that they have legal ownership of said item. Our club allows pretty much unrestricted use of NFA items, but is clear and upfront that they expect you to have your paperwork (or a reasonable copy thereof) with you and to be prepared to show same if asked by a club representative. For their liability purposes and everyone's safety, I feel that is a fair expectation and one I gladly comply with.

Having said that, I personally have never been asked to show my paperwork.

Yep, fully understand. I've never been asked, but I wouldn't have any problem if I was (by either the range or LE). I am mildly surprised that our range doesn't ask, but that's their prerogative. If it would keep the range's name out of the papers because they had asked someone that wasn't legal and ejected them from the property, I'd almost prefer they start asking. I'm a member there and the good Seattle liberals have been trying to shut the range down for decades. They could care less about the reason; anything to further their agenda is a good reason.

Having the range eject someone is far preferable to having ATF/LE showing up and finding someone that is not legal. Again, the wait time is a PITA, but the legal channel is there and available. It is not worth the risk of doing something stupid/illegal. I sure don't lose any sleep at night, secure in the knowledge that if asked, all I have to do is pull out my paperwork and that's that.

one of the RO's at one of the ranges i went to said that they will actually get in trouble if an ATF agent shows up and finds someone illegally having said item on their property. i dont know if it is true or not as i will always show them my paperwork so it doesnt matter to me.

one thing i did do is make 100 copies of it and i have a copy in every bag, gun case, vehicle, wallet, etc that i will have on me so then i can show it and not ruin my range day. I keep the original in a zip lock bag in the safe to protect it from degrading since i plan on having this until i die, hopefully later than sooner but you never know.

I saw two guys at a local match cinch their covers with zip ties. I thought it was a great idea. You can get those things to cinch up pretty snug.

I've got Cole-tac and Armageddon and I'm pleased with both. The Cole-tac does slip forward every now and then, but very little, (1/2-1" tops" As long as I check it every so often, there's no possibility of me shooting it.

I started with the Armageddon gear cover on my Dead Air Sandman L. It does work and does stay put, but the black inner material of the cover sheds off very easily and really collects in QD mechanism on the rear of the can. I've since bought a Cole-Tac cover using the stricta cord - I requested that instead of having the cord sewn to the cover, that they just sew 2 opposing loops of the cord on my cover and send a couple lengths of cord along. This allows me to tie down the cover if I need to, or remove the cord all together for a cleaner look. I also had this cover made a little shorter, so as to not cover up the QD mechanism on the rear of the can - no more lint build up and friction wear inside the cover from twisting on the can.

WTF they checking your paperwork for? Fed law makes it clear that only an ATF agent can check a tax stamp. Does your local range make you provide your 1040 too. It would be GFYS response if they asked me.

How the hell is a range responsible if an individual has an illegal weapon? They aren't empowered to check the legality, nor are they accountable to any agency for that.. All that bullshit sounds like a snowflake is running your range and some know nothing lawyer is advising him.

Letting turds exceed their authority only encourages needless poorly thought out restrictions that go above and beyond reason.

Last edited:
I use a Rifles Only HAD and have zero issues. The strap around the back of the can stops it from sliding and it allows me to keep the cover loose enough for easy removal. Honestly I couldn't ask of a better cover, the thing has been extremely hot and it didn't even phase it.

http://ustacticalsupply.com/suppressorcover-3.aspx

Best covers out there. Not pretty, extremely functional

Test Results on the M110 SUPCOV:

Conditions

Daylight hours
94 degrees
3 x Sniper Instructors
Standard Iron Maiden targets (40”x 20”)
TEST Parameters:
1 x M110 Sniper Rifle fired 1 round every 2-3 seconds with no suppressor sleeve.
1 x M110 Sniper Rifle fired 1 round every 2-3 seconds with a suppressor sleeve.
Both weapons continued with this rate of fire until barrel mirage was too great to accurately engage targets.
Both weapons engaged the same target at approximately 467 meters.
Results:
M110 with no suppressor sleeve began to have significant barrel mirage at 21 rounds; shooter was unable to engage targets and be able to identify what he was engaging after 25 rounds.
M110 with the suppressor sleeve did not have any significant barrel mirage until 91 rounds; shooter was able to engage targets for another 3 rounds until he was unable to identify targets.