• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing shotgun slug question

BrettSass844

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Germantown, OHIO
As this seasons deer gun week gets closer I have been thinking about my shotgun setup this year. I considered taking my scope off my 12ga and running open sights with breneke KO slugs. They shoot very good out of my gun. Only thing that shoots better is the Hornady SST. I have shot 5 shot groups into the center section of a desert sized paper plate with them at 150 yards. However when I missed a 225 lb 8 point buck this year at 40 yards I vowed to go to a simpler setup. Worst part about missing the buck is the guy I was hunting with thought I hit him but not good enough, so he shot him on the other side of the farm and dropped him like a rock. Never been so pissed! So back to the point, what slugs are you shotgun guys running and at what range are you consistently grouping them. Anyone tried any longer range shots just out of curiosity?

Re: shotgun slug question

I've been shooting the Federal's with the Barnes Expanders. They are 3" mags and shoot 1 1/2" to 2" groups at 100 yds. I shoot an SPS 1187,fully rifled barrel,cantilever scope mount. I have been thinking about dropping back to 2 3/4" instead of 3". The recoil is pretty heavy but not unbearable. The deer have all dropped in their tracks except one that ran about 50 yds and then dropped with a lucky shot to the nose,jaw area. These are the best shooting sabots out of my gun. You might want to look at remington's sabots also as I understand they shoot pretty good. Check your scope out also, I have jarred the reticles loose in 2 good scopes. Good Luck

I've also had good performance from the 12 gauge Federal Barnes Expanders, both the 2 3/4" and 3", out of two different Mossberg bolt guns and a TC Encore slug gun. Great accuracy and get the job done on deer. I had also tried the Lightfield slugs and they worked well too.

I have shot 25+ deer over the years with Lightfield slugs. But where I hunt a 80 yard shot is a very long shot, most have been killed within 30 yards.

What range are you sighting in for? If long range you probably shot over the bucks back if it was at 40 yards.

Good luck

Jerry

Winchester Partition Gold 2-3/4" 385grn Sabot slugs.I shoot a rifled savage bolt slug gun,so I don't know how they'll perform out of a smooth bore.They've never let me down from 30 out to 150 yards.No need for a 3" shoulder buster with today's slug design and performance.
STEVE

I also run a salvage slugger and shoot the Federal Barnes 3/4 oz. 2 3/4 slugs. Zeroed in at hundred yds, they run about 9" low at 200. I normally group them in about 1.5" at 100. I'm very pleased at how they anker deer down and will continue to use them. Hornady slugs.... in my turd bucket I couldn't hit the side of a barn with them. Lightfields were a tad better but still not good enough. Haven't tried Win yet but yrs ago when I used a scope 870 with a cantilever barrel the Remington 3" copper solids did run quite well. Then before that even, when I was using a 22" smooth bore, the regular Remington 3" rifled slugs worker VERY well and took many deer with that rig. Sure is funny how barrels are picky with what you use. Like with what i'm running now. The 3/4 oz slugs shoot ALOT better than the 1 oz'ers do. With the prices these day's of slugs tho I said screw it and use my 458 SOCOM now!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shoots100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Winchester Partition Gold 2-3/4" 385grn Sabot slugs.I shoot a rifled savage bolt slug gun,so I don't know how they'll perform out of a smooth bore.They've never let me down from 30 out to 150 yards.No need for a 3" shoulder buster with today's slug design and performance.
STEVE </div></div>

Couple of years ago I tried shootin sabots through a smooth bore to see what they do. At 50-60 yards they shoot good, just like the reg rifled slugs. But when I moved back to 100-125 yds, they were hitting the paper side ways and were all over the place. That was through a smooth bore with no rifled chock tube BTW.