• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Should I buy a Tangent Theta?

mrobles3808

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2013
Nebraska
I looking for you to either talk me in to or out of buying one of the most expensive optics I could have ever imagined. I currently run a S&B and love it -- and I may be one of the few to love the Gen2 Xr. The TT also uses the Gen2xr and this has my mind spinning that I need one.

If you love what you have what are you expecting the TT will give you? I have only had mine for a short time but have beat the hell out of it as much as I can and it is rock solid.

If you love what you have what are you expecting the TT will give you? I have only had mine for a short time but have beat the hell out of it as much as I can and it is rock solid.

I would snag another Schmidt, but being a lefty with a 90 degree bolt sucks with the rheostat where it's located. The sick "urge" to try something new is also tugging on my mind.

Reactions: jonthomps
If you're like me that urge won't go away! It'll drive you crazy til you finally take the plunge. Go ahead and go buy that unicorn (I've only heard of them, never seen in person btw)

Reactions: fx77
Go ahead and scratch that itch. But you're not upgrading to a better reticle or glass(opinions abound).

I bought mine cuz of the feel of the turrets and tooless zero. Luckily I got to lay hands on one before I plunked down the money.

I looked long and hard @ TT, but just couldn't justify the $$. I bought Minox ZP5, MR4's instead. Glass is phenomenal and significantly lower cost than TT. I'm really thrilled with mine. Having said that, all of these scopes are top tier and you wouldn't be unhappy with any of them.

I'm going to say YES you should! I have a PMII with Gen2 XR and like it quite a bit. I wouldn't say it's my favorite reticle (SKMR), but it is very usable. I've wanted a TT for along time, mainly for the tool-less zero feature, but just can't justify it right now. However, if you want one and have the funds, go for it. Once the sticker shock wears off, I'm sure you will be very happy with your purchase.

I'm going to say YES you should! I have a PMII with Gen2 XR and like it quite a bit. I wouldn't say it's my favorite reticle (SKMR), but it is very usable. I've wanted a TT for along time, mainly for the tool-less zero feature, but just can't justify it right now. However, if you want one and have the funds, go for it. Once the sticker shock wears off, I'm sure you will be very happy with your purchase.
The sticker shock is exactly what I'm afraid of. But (justifying here), I feel once I can get a year under my belt, I won't think about it anymore.

I am sorta on the record with how impressed I am with Tangent Theta scopes, so my recommendation will not surprise you: if you can afford it, go for it. I that other person who likes Gen 2 XR, so TT works great for me. I know a bunch of people who bought one and I have yet to have anyone come back to me and say they made a mistake. Some people prefer other reticles, but outside of that, I do not think I have ever heard any complaints (scratch that, there was one guy with a stiff magnification ring and either Covertnoob or HK Dave sent his back for something that I can't recall. It was all taken care of).

ILya

I love mine, but I just found one that I like better! Have you looked into the Hensoldt ZF 3.5-26x56? I didn't think anything could top the TT 5-25P but the glass in this Hensoldt is amazing.
IMG_20180307_152345593.jpg

Stick shock certainly slowed me down a little. I had two people I respect that I had separate conversations with and the TT came up. The universe was telling me something. I was looking at everything, Vortex, Nightforce, Steiner, Zeiss, you name it. When you look at these each one has some great aspects about it and I was going to buy something that gives me 80% of what I want. The TT had it all, or maybe 90-95%. It's nice. I was not disappointed.

The problem is I want one for my new rifle so I don't have to switch it between the two.

Reactions: shooter300
I love mine, but I just found one that I like better! Have you looked into the Hensoldt ZF 3.5-26x56? I didn't think anything could top the TT 5-25P but the glass in this Hensoldt is amazing.View attachment 6881845

You must have gotten a good one. I have seen a couple over the years and neither one of them would get anywhere near my top ten. Perhaps, they finally worked out the kinks.

ILya

I think I've only had one customer unhappy with a Tangent Theta since they were released and it was on the reticle where they preferred either the SKMR3 or MR4, outside of that people love them overall.

Patiently awaiting the improved Gen2XR whenever that hits the streets - the reticle has been the main thing holding me back. The one I looked through last year on a guys rifle at a match was awesome. It was significantly clearer/brighter than my S&B. It was kind of like the revelation I had the first time I looked through Swarovski EL binoculars FWIW.

I am sorta on the record with how impressed I am with Tangent Theta scopes, so my recommendation will not surprise you: if you can afford it, go for it. I that other person who likes Gen 2 XR, so TT works great for me. I know a bunch of people who bought one and I have yet to have anyone come back to me and say they made a mistake. Some people prefer other reticles, but outside of that, I do not think I have ever heard any complaints (scratch that, there was one guy with a stiff magnification ring and either Covertnoob or HK Dave sent his back for something that I can't recall. It was all taken care of).

ILya

I returned 2 for warranty, a 315M and 525P both interestingly for the same thing. Debris inside the scope on the objective lenses. That being said when I had them I was definitely impressed with them as I’ve said many times before, best turrets in the business hands down.

Looked long and hard (18 months). Ordered one this week from Primal Rights 3 x 15m. Looking fwd to seeing how she does.

I love mine, but I just found one that I like better! Have you looked into the Hensoldt ZF 3.5-26x56? I didn't think anything could top the TT 5-25P but the glass in this Hensoldt is amazing.View attachment 6881845
Yeah if you gots an extra 3k laying around, sure. That Hensoldt is bad. What mount is that?

Id say go for the theta...well I only said that coz theres one for sell and just so happen im the seller..lol
Seriously compared so many glasses with theta check my list i even include a side by side photos ultra short sb 3-20 and 3-15 i know photos cant justify but IMO thetas glass is better

If you have the money yes. I have been 100% happy with mine. There’s lots of scopes on the market that can fill 70-80% of a perfect scope, but the TT has it all. If you like the gen2xr, either buy a new one, or wait until the new reticle is out and buy a used one to save a little money (not much, I bet the TTs hold insane value.

I sent mine back for customer service, because the markings on my elevation turret were off by 1/32” or so. CS was great, and turn around was very quick, especially for going to another country (I think like 2 weeks from when I sent it to when I had it)

Now my markings are perfect. Hands down best turrets. There’s no one even close. The best glass you could buy, and extremely forgiving parallax. If you’re looking for a long range scope, in the 5-25 range, the 525P is the best scope money can buy.

If you choose to buy new, the boys over at CSTactical will take care of you, it’s where I got mine. If you have any questions, or was close up pics of something, feel free to ask.

snip

If you choose to buy new, the boys over at CSTactical will take care of you, it’s where I got mine. If you have any questions, or was close up pics of something, feel free to ask.

Glad you are enjoying yours as well! We have some TT525P and TT315M in stock right now ready to ship to another loving home :cool:

Reactions: JeffLebowski
I have written a few time regarding this subject. Like the OP, I always look at this one but could never reconcile the cost relative to features. This being said, the itch won't go away. So, can one of the multitude that has actually purchased and used this optic for a while, really describe what you believe the strengths are against other 5-25 that you have used. I know the S&B 5-25 Gen II XR quite well as I have had it for a while so no comments on the reticle are necessary.

Reactions: Covertnoob5
ive been hoping for a reticle similar to the mr4 or skmr3 so i could buy one for a while...everything else about them is tits...with a reticle similar to those 2 i wouldnt even hesitate on the cost...with what they currently offer...id give about $500 lol

I have written a few time regarding this subject. Like the OP, I always look at this one but could never reconcile the cost relative to features. This being said, the itch won't go away. So, can one of the multitude that has actually purchased and used this optic for a while, really describe what you believe the strengths are against other 5-25 that you have used. I know the S&B 5-25 Gen II XR quite well as I have had it for a while so no comments on the reticle are necessary.

The problem here is that it's all been said before. If you look back 3 years ago, you'll find thread after thread in which I talked about the superiority of the Tangent Theta scopes, feature by feature. I was called every name in the book, and very few were willing to listen. Everything I've said has been proven right, but the narrative on these forums has stayed the same.

We have all models in stock. We keep them in stock. We move a ton of them. No customers unhappy with the scopes.

I own 9 of them myself. Tens of thousands of rounds beneath them. No other scope out there can compare. I know because I've owned them. This is a fact presently. Perhaps it will change in the future, but right now it is a simple fact. People can argue all they want. At the end of the day, you either have the money and want to find out for yourself... or you don't. Call me, spend your $4500... or don't.

If it's too big a risk, don't call me.
If you can't afford it, don't call me.
If you need to be "sold" on the idea, don't call me.
If you want to "check prices and shop around," don't call me.
If you want to haggle over a couple hundred bucks on a very expensive luxury item, don't call me. This isn't rent, mortgage, or food. You aren't going to convince me that $200 one direction or the other matters at all when you're spending $4500 on something not essential to your life. If money is what is most important to you... I don't even want to speak to you. Money isn't what matters to me, and if people had any sense, it wouldn't matter to you either.

If you want to talk with the guy that has seen and documented the truth of these scopes from the very beginning and has enough experience with the rest of the products out there to tell you exactly, technically, where they stack up and why... give me a call. 605-554-1911

You call other places and ask about "X" scope and they'll say "oh that's very nice." If you ask about scope "Y" they'll say "oh that's very nice." Do they really care what you buy? Most places sell everything. Everything from total crap to the best. If they can sell it and make money, they consider it a win. Why else would the same places that sell Tangent Theta stock Barska or BSA?

Some places want to be able to provide everything to everyone.

At Primal Rights, we only provide the very best to the very best. No compromises. If you're that kind of guy, pick up the phone and call me. We'll get along great. I'll tell you anything you want to know. If I don't have the answer I'll send you to where it can best be found. Not a company nor a person in this country has as much experience with Tangent Theta as we do.

If you're offended by this post, then it has fulfilled its purpose and will keep you from wasting my time on the phone and make sure I'm available when someone intelligent calls.

Nik H, if you have about $4500 in your pocket, you can afford any scope I have in my inventory. Maybe $3200 is all it will take. It all depends on what rifle you're scoping and what its intended application is. If you want to know, just give me a call and we'll talk it all over. Maybe TT isn't right for you right now. Maybe it is. You'll find no one better suited to help you find out than I. If it's not the right scope, we'll discuss it and find out. I sell a ton of vortex, kahles, and S&B scopes for other dealers. Sometimes a TT just isn't the right scope for the application or rifle at hand. I can't help you if you don't call.

Last edited:
The problem here is that it's all been said before. If you look back 3 years ago, you'll find thread after thread in which I talked about the superiority of the Tangent Theta scopes, feature by feature. I was called every name in the book, and very few were willing to listen. Everything I've said has been proven right, but the narrative on these forums has stayed the same.

We have all models in stock. We keep them in stock. We move a ton of them. No customers unhappy with the scopes.

I own 9 of them myself. Tens of thousands of rounds beneath them. No other scope out there can compare. I know because I've owned them. This is a fact presently. Perhaps it will change in the future, but right now it is a simple fact. People can argue all they want. At the end of the day, you either have the money and want to find out for yourself... or you don't. Call me, spend your $4500... or don't.

If you want to haggle over a couple hundred bucks on a very expensive luxury item, don't call me. This isn't rent, mortgage, or food. You aren't going to convince me that $200 one direction or the other matters at all when you're spending $4500 on something not essential to your life. If money is what is most important to you... I don't even want to speak to you. Money isn't what matters to me, and if people had any sense, it wouldn't matter to you either.

If you want to talk with the guy that has seen and documented the truth of these scopes from the very beginning and has enough experience with the rest of the products out there to tell you exactly, technically, where they stack up and why... give me a call. 605-554-1911

You call other places and ask about "X" scope and they'll say "oh that's very nice." If you ask about scope "Y" they'll say "oh that's very nice." Do they really care what you buy? Most places sell everything. Everything from total crap to the best. If they can sell it and make money, they consider it a win. Why else would the same places that sell Tangent Theta stock Barska or BSA?

At Primal Rights, we only provide the very best to the very best. No compromises. If you're that kind of guy, pick up the phone and call me. We'll get along great. I'll tell you anything you want to know. If I don't have the answer I'll send you to where it can best be found. Not a company nor a person in this country has as much experience with Tangent Theta as we do.

If you're offended by this post, then it has fulfilled its purpose and will keep you from wasting my time on the phone and make sure I'm available when someone intelligent calls.

Nik H, if you have about $4500 in your pocket, you can afford any scope I have in my inventory. Maybe $3200 is all it will take. It all depends on what rifle you're scoping and what its intended application is. If you want to know, just give me a call and we'll talk it all over. Maybe TT isn't right for you right now. Maybe it is. You'll find no one better suited to help you find out than I. If it's not the right scope, we'll discuss it and find out. I sell a ton of vortex, kahles, and S&B scopes for other dealers. Sometimes a TT just isn't the right scope for the application or rifle at hand. I can't help you if you don't call.

Thanks for your reply Orkan. The money, at least for myself, isn't an issue. You can rest assured that I will call when I am ready to buy. I don't want to waste your time until that point comes. I remember talking to you a couple of years ago when I was trying to decide on an AI versus a Desert Tech rifle. You spent a lot of time giving me the facts, both good and not, that really helped me decide on what was right for me. I know I went down the AI route and do not regret it but you were a refreshing departure from many of the other people I talk to.

Last edited:

Yeah, I put my money where my mouth is all the time. It's widely known and accepted that I will spend money and buy products to ACTUALLY KNOW what they are capable of, rather than just sit on the internet babbling bullshit about things I've never touched, unlike most others seem to be content with doing. Bought almost every FFP model they offered, ran them on lots of different rifles... yet at NO POINT have I added them to my "inventory." ... and I won't be, either. They were never added to our website. I've never "advertised" or posted anywhere suggesting people come buy those scopes from me, other than buying the eval models I purchased. I haven't made a single order other than my opening order. Yet I've probably sold a dozen athlon scopes for other dealers this year so far.

So do you have a point, or do you want to just keep failing at "gotcha?"

Thanks for your reply Orkan. The money, at least for myself, isn't an issue. You can rest assured that I will call when I am ready to spend buy. I don't want to waste your time until that point comes. I remember talking to you a couple of years ago when I was trying to decide on an AI versus a Desert Tech rifle. You spent a lot of time giving me the facts, both good and not, that really helped me decide on what was right for me. I know I went down the AI route and do not regret it but you were a refreshing departure from many of the other people I talk to.

Glad you're enjoying your AI. There's just something about them, right? ;) I expect that will always be the case with AI. Very much in the same way that there will seemingly always be something about an original Remington 40X rimfire. Some firearms seem to stir emotion. Different firearms for different people, no doubt. :)

Reactions: Covertnoob5
Yeah, I put my money where my mouth is all the time. It's widely known and accepted that I will spend money and buy products to ACTUALLY KNOW what they are capable of, rather than just sit on the internet babbling bullshit about things I've never touched, unlike most others seem to be content with doing. Bought almost every FFP model they offered, ran them on lots of different rifles... yet at NO POINT have I added them to my "inventory." ... and I won't be, either. They were never added to our website. I've never "advertised" or posted anywhere suggesting people come buy those scopes from me, other than buying the eval models I purchased. I haven't made a single order other than my opening order. Yet I've probably sold a dozen athlon scopes for other dealers this year so far.

So do you have a point, or do you want to just keep failing at "gotcha?"

Feel better about yourself now?

It’s been a while since I have seen a business owner go full retard on here. Last one I recall was the vortex price match idiocy thread. I re-read your post in Cartmans voice, which let me finish it with a smile....you know like when you finish off your third box of donuts for the day.....
ED26755D-8132-4211-9241-286FFA8158B0.jpeg

Maybe TT isn't right for you right now. Maybe it is. You'll find no one better suited to help you find out than I.

Orkan, it is ME. ME. "You'll find no one better suited to help you find out than ME." Not I. ME.

I came to this thread to learn something about Tangent Theta. As a dealer of high-end scopes and rifles, I was curious if I wanted to carry Tangent Theta, and was wondering what the hype was. I work with parent company and stock Elcan, so why not? I think I have learned I am just not ready for TT. I will be content with the crumbs of Schmidt und Bender, Kahles, NightForce and Steiner. Maybe an occasional Minox.

I am still too much of a student and enjoy learning and helping people with what i know. It would take me a while to build up to the pontificationand omniscience (look it up) that is evidently required to sell TT.

Wow. Just Wow. :unsure:

I feel even more confident now having ordered my TTm from PR. Life is to short to hold back. This also kick started my thought process on why I never followed through on the Desert Tech.
Quality is long remembered after the price is forgotten.

This reads like an article from The Onion.

I looking for you to either talk me in to or out of buying one of the most expensive optics I could have ever imagined. I currently run a S&B and love it -- and I may be one of the few to love the Gen2 Xr. The TT also uses the Gen2xr and this has my mind spinning that I need one.
Just wait a little, TT will release a new Gen II Xr this year.

Normally I try to be respectful and kind.

But you can't make this kind of shit up.

I will stick with my old beat up Schmidt & Bender and junk NightForce, as I am not worthy to
enter into the PR zone.

Respectfully,

Chet

I really like the Gen II XR reticle. I used it the past weekend in a local PRS match. Distances ranged from 300-1100 yards with 5-15 mph full value wind. The Gen II XR was great at the longer distances and isn’t too busy. The “ultra fine” lines are great for LR and ELR (aim small, miss small).

But of course you should buy one! The only possible downside is reticle choices are limited. Personally I think the Gen2 XR is a very nice reticle so I find it very useable. The scope is just absolutely top notch all around, and the toolless zeroing is what put it over the top for me. Save your pennies, its worth it!

Sure Orkan is a bit brash but he does seem to practice what he believes and I respect that about him. He has done right by me before as well as pissing me off to high heaven but he has never done me wrong. (Im also one of those poor people who could never get a TT)

You should get one, just don't buy it from Orkan. Give CS Tactical a call, they treat their customers and others with respect.

You should get one, just don't buy it from Orkan. Give CS Tactical a call, they treat their customers and others with respect.
I made that decision in my mind a long time ago. I'd like to know if Armament Technology/TT are direct to dealer or if they have a US distributor; if they do have a distributor in the US, who is it?

Reactions: Jeffd