• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Should I just accept that I'll lose most of my brass at a match

CUBUFF89

Always Learning
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2017
GA
I've read an AAR for Mammoth Sniper challenge that you won't be picking up any of your brass. And I watched Shooting USA tonight and their coverage of the Bushnell Brawl where the floor of the copter was literally covered in brass.

It's not just the expense of Lapua brass but it's also the effort that I put into the prep that drives me to want to take home the brass that I came with. So should I just accept the fact?

Why wouldn’t they let you pick your brass up?

I personally am not letting a 100 or 200 pieces of Lapua brass sit in the dirt so one of the guys that runs the event can make a fortune later.

Reactions: ThePretzel
Fuck no. I try to pick up every piece of brass I can. I do it until the ro tells me to stop and move. Brass is expensive and just like you said, you put a ton of time and effort into it. I usually shoot matches with friends and they can sit right next to you on some stages and pick it up as you shoot. Or follow you from position to position and grab it. Use a marker and put some kind of unique mark on the brass so you can tell yours apart from other shooters.

With the caveat that I have only shot one PRS match, I can say over that two day match I didn't lose one piece of brass. It is the responsibility of the other shooters in your squad (but for whoever is next) to police your brass. As Dan mentioned above, mark your brass in some way that makes it distinguishable, this just helps things move along in case something was missed on a first pass.

Part of it is to keep the match moving. When you have every shooter pick-up there brass after each stage it delays the next shooter and squad. Add 200-300 shooters and 10-20 stages you will never get through the match. A couple matches I have seen them allow pickup after the squad has gone, and you have a couple minutes to cleanup. There is always those couple guys that are missing one piece and won't stop till they find it.

If any match told me that I couldn't pick up brass I would not attend. It takes little time and is one of those things a match director should just plan on happening as a convenience for the shooters. Always rush to help other shooters get their brass. Most of the time you can find all their brass before they clear their equipment from the firing line.

Reactions: MOshooter
Most (likely all) PRS matches allow you to retrieve your brass. Mammouth is not a PRS match and is a different animal entirely.

I've never attended Mammoth but from what I've heard from those who have, I think I'd almost consider it a favor to require leaving my brass behind in order to carry less weight.

If I were to shoot a lost brass match I'd run a chambering that has good quality but inexpensive brass available. Look at Starlines offerings, it's excellent brass and at roughly $.40-$.50/ piece it's not a big deal to lose some, or shoot a match from time to time where you lose it all. For me, when I'm spending $1K+ typically to shoot a match losing $100 worth of brass isn't a concern. Something like Dasher that requires fire forming I'd be butthurt about but I'd be smart enough not to bring something like that to a lost brass match unless the batch of brass was on it's last leg anyway.

Reactions: EXTREMEPREJUDICE
If you're worried about policing up your brass you're not concentrating on making the shot and finishing the scenario or exercise.

Difference in mind-set between "This is my play/recreation"; "this is my job"; and "I'm here to win and survive."

It's just brass. If it's so expensive it concerns you to recover all of it make a point of picking it up once you're finished shooting. Relying on other competitors to pick it up for you is relying on someone concentrating on beating you on this stage or the next, who can care less whether or not you are industry- or self-sponsored.

I can see there are different views about policing your brass and I understand where you're coming from. If everyone was so anal about finding every single piece of brass it would slow the match down to a crawl. I just don't want to leave behind most of my brass if at all possible.

I hope to be able to shoot my first club match here in Sept so I wanted to go in with realistic expectations. I shoot 6.5 CM Lapua brass but at least for the first match I bought some Starline at half the price of Lapua. But even with the Starline there's a lot of time that went into prepping that brass.

Thanks to all that replied.

But even with the Starline there's a lot of time that went into prepping that brass.

If you're spending a lot of time prepping Starline brass, you're doing too much. I hit the necks with a Sinclair expander mandrel to straighten any dented mouths as well as set neck tension, and then trim them on my Giraud. Considering that my ES's are 5-6 at the most every single time for a 5 shot string and SD's in the 1's and 2's there's no way that any further prep would enhance the consistency any detectable amount. That consistency is phenomenal for fire formed brass, let alone virgin.

I used it as an opportunity to rotate my stock. Shoot and ditch the old, loose primer pocket shit.

I didn't shoot that often though. Might be a different story if you are doing a match every weekend.

Mammoth is very different than PRS. When I shot mammoth, I left all the brass. Time was not afforded to pick it up even if I wanted to. I was using old LC brass that would be most likely their last firing anyways.

At PRS matches I average 1 lost per day in the well developed facilities, and about 2 per day when shooting a field style match. Not having those concrete pads and golf like cut grass makes brass a bit harder to find.

Or just shoot factory ammo, and don’t worry about the brass. FGMM for 308 is almost as cheap as my handloads with life cycle brass costs.

At local or one day PRS matches, you can recover most of your brass easily enough. I still lose a couple to a few out of 80+. At the larger two day matches with 200+ people, I lose about 20-40% no matter what. Those are realistic expectations in my experience. I don't like losing brass anymore than the next guy and am not sponsored in any way. My perspective.

Several years ago when PRS was not even a thought and these type of matches were in their infancy I remember a young new shooter nearly blow a gasket when he got a scratch on his spotless Harris bipod!!! He went on to become one of the best shooters out there...and in so doing learned what to sweat and what to ignore.
Those who still give a shit about little things sure are entertaining to those who know better.

Reactions: Rob01 and rookie7
Why not rig up a quick release brass catcher so you can take it off to show a cleared chamber after shooting, then put it back on for next stage. I am with you in getting brass back. Money doesn't grow on trees and most don't have expendable income to just leave on the ground. I kept my calibers to one I can replenish from dept quals. Only one I have to buy brass for is 6.5 grendel and that is not super expensive, but brass is reusable and should not be figured as a continuing expense, if it doesn't have to be.

I thought about making something similar to the tactical brass recovery brass catchers with a quick detach for matches since theirs are a little pricey.

If any match told me that I couldn't pick up brass I would not attend. It takes little time and is one of those things a match director should just plan on happening as a convenience for the shooters. Always rush to help other shooters get their brass. Most of the time you can find all their brass before they clear their equipment from the firing line.

This^^^^^

Full disclosure, at 72, I won't be attending anything like a PRS match, but anyone thinks it stops there, it doesn't.

So, SOOO sorry if the way a match gets organized makes it too inconvenient for the staff to permit recovery of a costly and valuable resource. No, no, you can't do that; sounds like some Liberal looking for another way to play gatekeeper.

That's just so out of line that it threatens to make me barf. Throwing the BS flag. Won't see me, won't miss me I'm sure, but it's not my actions or my decisions that make this an issue. It's arrogance.

200-300 shooters at a match, that's not a match, that's a feeding frenzy. Big numbers make littler things blow all out of proportion. Like this.

Should you accept it? Fuck NO! Enough shooters do that and something will change.

Should you change it? Damfinknow, but looking at the numbers, I can surely think of a place to start. When you really look at it, it's those numbers that sit at the core of the problem; and when numbers get big like that, greed comes out to play. Don't try and say it doesn't. Maybe not now, maybe not about this, but they will just continue to drive questions like this one, and soon enough, as the numbers grow, so will the importance of the questions. Things get big enough, they collapse under their own weight. Do you know how to totter?

Think about it. Rant over...

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: LG65CM
Best way I've seen it run is to allow two or three minutes after the entire squad has shot for everyone to police up at the same time. I've lost a handful this year at club events. Haven't shot a big one yet.

Reactions: chiroz
I really believe there is a very real opportunity for someone to step up and design a simple brass catcher for bolt rifles - only needs to hold small amount of brass. This would allow for smoother transitions between shooters, and if we're honest none of us likes to lose our brass!
I will be first in line to buy one!
Would have to be fairly unobtrusive, have an ability to be removed quickly or fold out of the way for any issues that could potentially arise from use, and have a reasonable price. I could see match directors really endorsing something like this! They are always trying to keep things moving and seems like fishing for brass is a definite time consumer (hence the 'lost brass' matches).

Fred (Bison Tactical) had the very good idea of having 4H kids or boyscouts come to matches for this purpose, and having shooters give donations. This was tried with some success at recent Craig match.

Reactions: LG65CM
^^^
Says the guy that could care less about losing brass.

Never said I could care less about losing brass but I know losing it is part of the sport and I don;t cry about it. I collect mine when I can but having something that can mess with the reliability of my rifle is a no go from start. Reliability is more important than a 1/4 MOA rifle in this sport.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
Every match I’ve ever shot I treated it like a lost brass match. I’m interested in hitting targets, couldn’t care less about wondering where my brass ends up. I’ve shot plenty of matches with people who are honestly more interested in finding their brass than checking targets/scores. If that’s what you’re in to, a really expensive way to make empty brass, then go right on ahead. I’ll spend my time concentrating on where my bullets end up, not my brass.

I'm shooting a gas gun that flings brass 15 feet or more. I'm lucky to recover 50% of my brass.

I've read an AAR for Mammoth Sniper challenge that you won't be picking up any of your brass. And I watched Shooting USA tonight and their coverage of the Bushnell Brawl where the floor of the copter was literally covered in brass.

It's not just the expense of Lapua brass but it's also the effort that I put into the prep that drives me to want to take home the brass that I came with. So should I just accept the fact?

I was at mammoth this year. The specifically said in the match brief to leave your brass. Tbh, I know every shooter benefited from having a lighter ruck. So, if you attend that match plan on losing all of the brass. All mammoth is a private match and is not PRS.

“ ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal pain”.

The year I was at Mammoth the RO's policed all the brass and brought it in and dumped it after everything was done. 99.99% sure they even said you can go sort and find your brass if you want. If after that match you have the energy to go though and find your brass, more power to ya lol. I wanted to eat and go to bed for a 3 days.

Also like others have said, Mammoth isn't a PRS match. Its FAR from a PRS match. It's also a team match, but your teammate has more to do than chance your brass. On a lot of stages you were kept in a holding area after the brief and weren't given the advantage of observing other shooters mistakes, so there is no squad member running after your brass option either.

Mark your brass, and ask the RO at each stage how he would prefer you collect it. If I was running a stage and a guy popped up running behind the shooter grabbing brass, I wouldn't be to keen on that unless we discussed it first. I usually give my GF a green sharpie and tell her to go to town on my brass before a match. Never had anyone with the same marks lol.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
Not every match is a "PRS" match. Some people don't realize the PRS has only been around since 2012 and there were tons of matches before it and there are plenty of matches that aren't "PRS" matches now. "PRS" has just become a generic term for long range matches of this type.

Reactions: OzzyO20
I always look at 3 gun being a lost brass match. PRS I try and police bras I suit a match yesterday and only lost one piece of 6.5x47 brass

The last match I shot was a local match. 83 rounds fired. 10 pieces of brass recovered.

I've yet to shoot a PRS match where they didn't allow (and expect) you to pick up your own brass. Most times the RO's are actually pretty happy if someone in the squad moves with the shooter to catch the brass as they're shooting since it shortens the time between shooters since nobody spends time afterwards picking it up.

Prior to getting my Nucleus action with a mechanical ejector I lost only 1 piece of brass in about 1 national match and 5 or 6 local matches. Since getting that Nucleus action I've lost about 5 pieces in 1 national match and 2 local matches (it just flings it in some really weird places and not very consistently).

Usually at matches everyone wants to keep their brass. Team up with guys on your squad to police the brass as you shoot. Take turns. At the end of the match, by the prize table, usually the RO’s bring the brass to a bin for the shooters to grab their brass they left

last two national matches i attended were shit on policing brass. wait till end of your squad and sort through everything as a group...but oh wait you have to move to next stage as soon as you're done. and you're shooting in 12" tall grass the entire match

two matches i don't see myself returning to (not just brass issue)

last two national matches i attended were shit on policing brass. wait till end of your squad and sort through everything as a group...but oh wait you have to move to next stage as soon as you're done. and you're shooting in 12" tall grass the entire match

two matches i don't see myself returning to (not just brass issue)

You go to stuff your belly full of Bojangles at one of those matches so quit complaining. Lol

I always pick my brass up. I mark them so they stand out and i can quickly gather them up. Im a cheap skate!

The three local matches ive been to they let you scoop up your brass. I always accept that I'm going to lose a few pieces of brass, which hurts since it is $1/shell for Lapua. Last match I shot 78 and recovered 70 I believe

The three local matches ive been to they let you scoop up your brass. I always accept that I'm going to lose a few pieces of brass, which hurts since it is $1/shell for Lapua. Last match I shot 78 and recovered 70 I believe
Just shot a PRS match in Montana and somehow came home with all my brass. Not sure how that happened!

Reactions: TCG76
Just curious, what’s the typical generally accepted etiquette for picking up brass that isn’t yours?

Shot a match a few weeks ago and we were in danger of bunching up on a stage. So we hurried along the other two stages and came back to brass up after.

All the brass had already been picked up.

I figure if the match is totally over and no one is still out getting their brass, fair game, but if there is still shooting going on, if you didn’t shoot it, don’t pick it up.

I will pick up brass that's on the ground from other shooters, but I'll leave it at the RO station. If it just stays on the ground it makes it harder for other shooters to segregate and grab their own brass.

To be honest the idea of not picking up brass after each shooter seems stupid to me. If you aren't on deck or just walking off a stage, you should be shagging brass for your squad mates. You can pick it up as fast as the shooter transition happens and it avoids all these problems. In the Montana match referenced above I don't think I picked up my own brass once (except maybe a prone stage), it was always my squad mates.

I will pick up brass that's on the ground from other shooters, but I'll leave it at the RO station. If it just stays on the ground it makes it harder for other shooters to segregate and grab their own brass.

To be honest the idea of not picking up brass after each shooter seems stupid to me. If you aren't on deck or just walking off a stage, you should be shagging brass for your squad mates. You can pick it up as fast as the shooter transition happens and it avoids all these problems. In the Montana match referenced above I don't think I picked up my own brass once (except maybe a prone stage), it was always my squad mates.

I like this approach as well. Lately where I’ve been shooting, people just go look for their own and it’s kinda clusterfuck.

Losing brass is just part of doing business. Sometimes you can get it and sometimes you can't. If you get that worked up over it then maybe this isn't the sport for you. LOL

Not all of us are sponsored and get ammo/brass free or discounted.

AGREE 100% ^^^^^^^^^

Reactions: DaleGribble82
Not all of us are sponsored and get ammo/brass free or discounted.

Nothing to do with my comment and I stand by my statement. Been shooting these matches well before any sponsorships and will after they go away. Don't try and muddy the water with the old Us vs Them argument as it doesn't hold water.

Nothing to do with my comment and I stand by my statement. Been shooting these matches well before any sponsorships and will after they go away. Don't try and muddy the water with the old Us vs Them argument as it doesn't hold water.

Respectfully Disagree

Reactions: DaleGribble82