• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Should I stick with an M14? Smith, LRB, fulton etc

ex0311

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2010
I want to consider other .308 platforms before I invest in another M14.

Friends of friends tell me the Robinson XCR is a piece of reliable machinery.

I dont like the AR10 platform because of the fact that I dont like the AR in general.

Im not a FAL guy either. If im going to use a .308 I want it to be accuret more accuret than an M16.

If I invest in another M1A I want it to be as accuret as possible without losing the field reliability of the standard. This would mean no glass beading, no super match sights, etc.
What makes Smith Enterprises, LBR, or Fulton Armory better than the other. I would love a chrome lined barrel!

What other superb .308 autos are out? I want to consider all my options before I get another M14. I think I should stick with a M14 until something crazy comes out like the Knights PDW.

Re: Should I stick with an M14?

If you have about $15,000 or so to spend, a true Soviet SVD in 7.62x54R is a one hellava shooting machine to own :)
You will have to reload because the Russian 7N series of Match grade ammo is nowhere to be found in the U.S.

Also look at some HK .308s out there...

Interesting 2nd post.

The KAC PDW is designed around the 6x35mm and not the 308, pretty substantial difference, although it is still based on the "AR platform", which you stated you don't like. If you can identify what you dislike about the AR platform, that would help us help you.The M1A is a fantastic battle rifle, and if built and setup correctly, it can approach the accuracy of the AR10 platform.

I would suggest you do some serious research before you purchase any system, base your decision off of your needs and not words of "friends of friends".

Re: Should I stick with an M14? Smith, LRB, fulton etc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If I invest in another M1A I want it to be as accurate as possible without losing
the field reliability of the standard. This would mean no glass beading, no super
match sights, etc.
</div></div>

Get something crazy like a built for battle Crazy Horse M14 rifle in one of the USGI synthetic stocks modified by SEI or the
SAGE EBR stock of your choosing. One of the new M14 EBR-RINM-SEI builds may be just what you need, less the NM rear sight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to consider other .308 platforms before I invest in another M14.

Friends of friends tell me the Robinson XCR is a piece of reliable machinery.

I dont like the AR10 platform because of the fact that I dont like the AR in general.

Im not a FAL guy either. If im going to use a .308 I want it to be accuret more accuret than an M16.

If I invest in another M1A I want it to be as accuret as possible without losing the field reliability of the standard. This would mean no glass beading, no super match sights, etc.
What makes Smith Enterprises, LBR, or Fulton Armory better than the other. I would love a chrome lined barrel!

What other superb .308 autos are out? I want to consider all my options before I get another M14. I think I should stick with a M14 until something crazy comes out like the Knights PDW.
</div></div>

The question is do you want precision or do you want to sling lead.

If you want precision then you go the AR route. If you want sexy then keep your M-14/M-1A.

I dont like the weak AR charging system, impingement system, and am not impressed with the reliability in the field. I know that cleaning your weapon is a priority but this is not allways possible. I want something that will run if I drop it in the mud. All weapons need to be cleaned but I prefer ones that can run dirty if they have to. The AR is just an overall weak design in my experiance. THe gas piston system doesnt impress me and its not really combat tested.

I want a rugged/ reliable .308 that will run dirty and make hits on a man sized target from 1-800 yards. Have any of you carried an M14 over an AR10 in current times? I see guys using them but havent been able to talk to any yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont like the weak AR charging system, impingement system, and am not impressed with the reliability in the field. I know that cleaning your weapon is a priority but this is not allways possible. I want something that will run if I drop it in the mud. All weapons need to be cleaned but I prefer ones that can run dirty if they have to. The AR is just an overall weak design in my experiance. THe gas piston system doesnt impress me and its not really combat tested. </div></div>

Are you spending a lot of time on a two way range?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>
The M14 can do both.

IMG_3230.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont like the weak AR charging system, impingement system, and am not impressed with the reliability in the field. I know that cleaning your weapon is a priority but this is not allways possible. I want something that will run if I drop it in the mud. All weapons need to be cleaned but I prefer ones that can run dirty if they have to. The AR is just an overall weak design in my experiance. THe gas piston system doesnt impress me and its not really combat tested. </div></div>

Are you spending a lot of time on a two way range? </div></div>

No, I doubt I will ever be on a two way range BUT if I ever am I want to have the best thing for my abilities. I like to shoot the M14s and want one "gun to grab" if there ever is a need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>
The M14 can do both.

IMG_3230.jpg

</div></div>

What kind of stock is that? It folds? Does it work with a 4x acog! Its the first polymer stock that I like :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont like the weak AR charging system, impingement system, and am not impressed with the reliability in the field. I know that cleaning your weapon is a priority but this is not allways possible. I want something that will run if I drop it in the mud. All weapons need to be cleaned but I prefer ones that can run dirty if they have to. The AR is just an overall weak design in my experiance. THe gas piston system doesnt impress me and its not really combat tested. </div></div>

I'm thinking basement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont like the weak AR charging system, impingement system, and am not impressed with the reliability in the field. I know that cleaning your weapon is a priority but this is not allways possible. I want something that will run if I drop it in the mud. All weapons need to be cleaned but I prefer ones that can run dirty if they have to. The AR is just an overall weak design in my experiance. THe gas piston system doesnt impress me and its not really combat tested. </div></div>

No, I doubt I will ever be on a two way range BUT if I ever am I want to have the best thing for my abilities. I like to shoot the M14s and want one "gun to grab" if there ever is a need. </div></div>

Based on what you have posted to date.....

I would recommend

The-Daisy-air-Rifleman-50%27.jpg

In answer to your question, unless you are specifically in harm's way for some reason when you need to "grab your gun" realistically it will be close range, limited time, few people involved, like a random robbery attempt, carjacking, mugging or home invasion.

In that case you are really best served by a good pistol & a good short defender type shotgun

Unless your profession involves actually going into harm's way, most everything else is for fun and training because you like it and enjoy it. Most modern rifles will give you good reliability and which one you want to have is up to what you want to do.

If you want to be shooting at 500 to 800 yards, the AR-10 platform will give you the best accuracy, you'll just need to clean it more often and not shoot garbage ammo

The M1A is a great classic and can be done up into a nice sexy gun that shoots very well, or can be done in a classic old school look. The M1A is also good in non free states as you can have it with the original classic rifle stock.

For a 100 to 300 yard type gun in 308, the HK91 rifles are very reliable guns you can beat around and shoot all kinds of crazy stuff out of and still work fine but their accuracy is limited.

If you are wanting to go do tactical training, and 3 gun matches and other tactical events etc, also think about the distance to the furthest target and if you are not shooting past 200 to 300 yards, think about a light M4 style AR-15 vs a 15 to 20 pound 308 rifle.

On another note, recently there has been a bit of an uptick in the Standard question from brand new members of "Which "battle rifle" should I get?" or "Which one gun should be my one go to gun when xxx happens?".

I'm wondering if maybe a dedicated sticky thread should be made something like "Are you new? Are you bored with your previous gun forum sites? Click here for the complete Q&A on ultimate battle rifles for when it starts raining trouble"

Then we could put in all our ideas on the various common rifle platforms (AR-15, AR-10, HK91, FAL, M1A, SCAR etc) and save lots of repeating the same thing again.

For a long time, I had the same train of thought as you. AR's are jammomatics, weak and just not a true combat or battle rifle, and that the m14 was the best for everything(as you can tell by my screen name).

Times started changing when I got a great deal on a 6920 colt. Out of the box with match ammo it easily out shot my m1a, both rifles having iron sights. With this new found accuracy I desired scoping one of my rifles. Naturally the ar is easier to do so and I went with an acog.

Slowly but surely I have come around to the ar based systems, and now own a colt 6920, an SDM clone and an LMT MWS .308. I have probably not fired my m1a in close to a year as I just enjoy the ar based systems better. Easier to build, accessorize, keep accurate, scope, and better ergonomics in my opinion.

The main goal of my post was just to encourage you to give an ar based system a chance. In the precision rifle role, I have swapped over from believing the m14 was the greatest long range autoloader to now owning a .308 ar and totally reversing my thinking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I would recommend

</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">"You'll shoot your eye out kid"</span>

I think a good AR10 would be fine, but okay. How about FNAR? Or you can try POF 308 or LWRC, still based on AR10 but not direct impingement. Robinson XCR is a nice system that blends AR10 with AK47. But I think acurracy still goes to AR10 based systems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I would recommend

</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">"You'll shoot your eye out kid"</span>

</div></div>

LMAO!!

Before anyone seriously responds to this, you might want to check out the other thread he started:
Thermals and ACOGs?

What the hell is an "EX" 0311 anyhow? Did we kick you out and strip you of the title? That is the only way any Marine becomes an "EX". I smell poser....

Personally, I trained with MSC on M14's so I'm pretty fond of them because of that, so I'd stick with the M14. But it pretty much boils down to personal preference though and what you're most comfortable with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: W54/XM-388</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On another note, recently there has been a bit of an uptick in the Standard question from brand new members of "Which "battle rifle" should I get?" or "Which one gun should be my one go to gun when xxx happens?".

I'm wondering if maybe a dedicated sticky thread should be made something like "Are you new? Are you bored with your previous gun forum sites? Click here for the complete Q&A on ultimate battle rifles for when it starts raining trouble"</div></div>

I noticed that too, granted, I'm fairly new too, but I've been getting a kick out of all the 2012/SHTF/Battle Rifle threads... and then my personal favorite... "How to throw sentry/guard dogs off your scent."

Maybe insert code that automatically bans the user for opening that Q&A thread? Though then I couldn't spit coffee all over my computer every time an old Daisy advert pops up though.
wink.gif