• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Shoulder Bump tools

Schw15

Longrange
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2019
    Colorado
    What is everyone using?

I use a short action custom and I have noticed that it gives me false reading because the insert gets stuck and always having to check that. Anyone else have issues like that

I've used the Hornady when it was still Stoney Point and I have the Sinclair steel inserts which also fit into the Hornady gauge body. They both work for my needs as long as you realize they are Comparators, not headspace gauges.

I did pickup a 30/06 and 308 Win. RCBS Precision Mic at an Estate sale for less than half of their value. They are calibrated with a Headspace gauge to be @ SAAMI Minimum @ the zero mark. They work well, but at retail cost, they're expensive for one caliber. For me , the Hornady set was better due to all of the different Rifle cartridges I reload.

What is everyone using?

I use a short action custom and I have noticed that it gives me false reading because the insert gets stuck and always having to check that. Anyone else have issues like that

are you measuring shoulder bump or base to ogive of bullet? If your SAC shoulder bump tool is getting stuck, you are doing something wrong.

How? The insert gets stuck and gives me different readings. I then twist it and seems like it frees up and measures better.

The shoulder bump inserts are cut with a reamer and are shoulder angle specific...and you did not answer my question.

Then be more specific. What cartridge are you trying to measure? What SAC insert are you using? They are shoulder angle and caliber specific. So if you are trying to use a 6mm 35 degree insert for a 6.5 creed....well there would be your issue. Been using SAC comparators for years without any issues.

The Hornady tool body base accepts both types of inserts. You can use it as an ogive measuring tool with the ogive inserts or measure shoulder bump with the bump bushing inserts. They are two different inserts.
    Bingo
    image.jpg

I'm not saying shortaction custom were bad been using it for a few years but just noticed that. I cleaned it going to see how it does.

Little K-Y Jelly on the o-ring w the SAC tool, spin the case shoulder in the adapter, should be good to go.

Reactions: Schw15
    Little K-Y Jelly on the o-ring w the SAC tool, spin the case shoulder in the adapter, should be good to go.

I cleaned it and way better. Sucked that it stuck and messed up measurements.

Reactions: BCX