• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SIG Blaser Tactical 2 Overview

Re: SIG Blaser Tactical 2 Overview

John, I had a chance to play around a little bit with the very first SIG Blaser rifles. The one I shot was very ACCURATE. It would shoot 1/2 moa or better. I like the trigger, the rifle I shot had the trigger set to 1 1\2 pound, but was not to crazy about throw back bolt. The first time I loaded and fired the first round I brought the bolt back and loaded the next round. I then went to pull the trigger and the rifle did not fire. As I worked with the rifle a little I found out that you had to really work the bolt back.

Good job on the review for the little time you spent with the rifle.

FWIW,

I own a Blaser LSR2 (Looks exactly like a Tactical II but slightly smaller frame). I also have .223, 22-250, 6.5x55 and .308 barrels for the LRS2 chassis and have run several thousand rounds through this "system" (its a system not a rifle). I also own an AI and other match/tactical rifles (GAP), Bighorn and will try to provide some comparison and contrast.

The Good:
1. Accuracy - The Blaser is with out a doubt the most accurate rifle(s) I own. All calibers shoot 1/4 MOA or better. It shoots all kinds of ammo consistently better than the other rifles that I own. In other words, I can get all of my other rifles to shoot great but they are more sensitive to the bullet/load combination than the Blaser.

2. Cold bore shot - Some how the Blaser folks have figured out how get a single shot from a cold bore to go into the exact same place every time (this is also true of the light contour sporter barrels used for hunting). Critical where have you have only one shot to place. This is not true some of the other tactical/match guns I own.

3. Take down - the rifle breaks down in 30 seconds and packs into a 30" soft case or an A4 hard case. Assembly takes about 30 - 60 seconds and ALWAYS returns to zero.

4. Caliber change - you can run any of the Blaser R93 barrels in the chassis (the sporter barrels look a little silly) but of the fluted tactical barrels there are .222, .223, .22-250, 6mm BR, .243, 6.5x55, 6.5x284, .308 and .300 WM to choose from. (Note the Tactical II is a slightly larger frame and will accommodate only .223. .308 .300WM .338 LM Tactical II Barrels).

5. Convertible - you can change from a left or right handed action which takes about 15 seconds to change. (Slide one out slide the opposite handed action in)

6. Adjustable Stock - great feeling prone stock.

7. Straight pull bolt. Manipulating the bolt is very fast and almost approaches the rate of accurate aimed fire you can get out of a semi-auto.

8. Its a System not a Rifle - The Blaser is more of a "system" than a rifle and you can change L/R actions, boltheads and drop your tactical scope/barrel setups into a sporter stock for hunting. In the hunting configuration the rifle weighs about 8-9 lbs and is perfectly balanced. This system has a high "fiddle factor" for those of you that like to fool around with changing your guns.

9. Decocker safety. You can keep a round in the chamber and there is no way to fire the gun with the safety on as it de-cocks the firing pin spring. This is useful when hunting/stalking as some professional hunters will not allow you to stalk with a round in the chamber. (Note: this does make taking the safety off (cocking the spring) rather stiff but not for the studly folks that visit SH.)

The Bad:
1. Cost - these Rifles are expensive ($4,000 for the gun?, $1,600 for a barrel? $380 for a scope mount? $200 for a mag?). However the price is not unlike what you see companies like Dessert Tactical charging for barrels or Sako charging for a mag or bi-pod. If you buy into Blaser, you buy in with the notion that you are going to get multiple calibers and sporter stocks to amortize the cost. (Note: because all of the Blaser parts are interchangeable there is a healthy used market for buying used bolts, barrels at substantial savings. I paid $2,200 for my rifle, $800 for the .223 and so on ...

2. Magazines - As shown on the video there are issues with the magazines. Smaller calibers can and do have feeding problems.

3. The stock - The gun is not as sturdy as a McMillan or AI setup and can feel flimsy compared to the others. That being said, I don't recommend it if you are going to jump from a helicopter or C-17 with it strapped to your back. Otherwise it will hold up to all of the paper punching, match shooting, hunting you would like to do with it, unless of course the tactical matches start including an airdrop as part of the course.

4. Straight pull bolt - You can have missfires if you don't push the bolt forward and lock it with authority. There is a case where you can push the bolt lightly forward where it appears locked but is not locked. In this condition the gun will drop the firing pin when you pull the trigger and as the bolt is not locked, all you are rewarded with is a is a "Click". You then have to shove the bolt forward all the way and then pull the trigger a second time. This is really irritating but something that you only do 2 or 3 times. LoneWolfUSMC did a great job of cycling the bolt in the video so this did not show up. Had he just flicked it forward with a couple of fingers he might have stumbled onto this issue. Everyone soon learns to cycle the bolt with gusto.

All this said, the Blaser LRS2 is the tactical gun that I shoot the most. It is the gun that my kids and guests want to shoot more than any other (using the .223 barrel of course). It is the goto gun when there is an offending prairie dog on the premises (My record hit on a prairie dog is 623 yards with the Blaser LRS and the .22-250 barrel). I put in the .223 barrel and practice shooting for F-Class at 200 yards using a 600 yard reduced target. Then I stick the 6.5x55 barrel in for the match. It is the most fun gun of them all to shoot ...

Now is it worth $4-5,000 for a single caliber ... not to me. Bought an AI Covert for that ...
smile.gif

Good shooting ...

Oh and as to the pronunciation: I have most often heard it as "Blah, Blah, Blahser".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .300 AT&T</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh and as to the pronunciation: I have most often heard it as "Blah, Blah, Blahser".</div></div>

After the discussion on here today, I called Blaser USA.

"Blaasser" Almost like the sound the O makes in Octopus.

Here is one of the advertising vids for Blaser that is how the chick said it on the phone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Un4mjhDwY

a local gunstore owner and friend of mine who also runs a shop in south germany, told me, when i asked him what hunting rifle i should get when i demand absolute accuracy out of the box: the most accurate hunting rifles he sells in his store from all the feedbacks of customers, and to his own experience (he shoots in many rifles for hunters), are in generally blasers.

I'd like to hear how all you dissenters pronounce the word Mercedes, or Adidas, or Ducati, or perhaps BMW. It's Beeeh Emmmm Vayyyyy mothertruckers GET IT RIGHT Beee Emm dubleuuuuu sounds so retarded
laugh.gif

I'm guessing the original guy to bring this up says all of those wrong.

Okay. Foreign languages aren't going to be accepted here. Lets just stay with Remingtons and Winchesters since that seems to about the limit of some of our friends' intellect or acceptance.

"Condemnation before investigation is the corner stone of ignorance".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay. Foreign languages aren't going to be accepted here. Lets just stay with Remingtons and Winchesters since that seems to about the limit of some of our friends' intellect or acceptance.

"Condemnation before investigation is the corner stone of ignorance". </div></div>

Du bist ein Auslander?

300AT&T
I take it by your post that the main platform will accept all these mag. sizes without any modifications ?? Short action to Long (.338LM) Change barrel ,and slap in corresponding Mag. and that's it ??

4. Caliber change - you can run any of the Blaser R93 barrels in the chassis (the sporter barrels look a little silly) but of the fluted tactical barrels there are .222, .223, .22-250, 6mm BR, .243, 6.5x55, 6.5x284, .308 and .300 WM to choose from. (Note the Tactical II is a slightly larger frame and will accommodate only .223. .308 .300WM .338 LM Tactical II Barrels).

Morgan 711

The tactical rifles that Blaser offers are the

LRS-2
Tactical II

Both of these rifles are more similar than different. The difference is that the LRS-2 is slightly smaller and will fit all of the barrels that blaser makes for the R93 sporting/match/varmint rifles.

The Tactical II is slightly Larger to accommodate the .338 LM round and will only accept barrels made specifically for this platform (223,308,300Wm, 338LM). As such, the tactical II and LRS/r93 barrels/bolts are NOT interchangeable.

Both platforms will allow caliber changes without modification beyond dropping in the appropriate boltface, mag etc.

If you must have a .338 then you have to purchase the tactical II model. Otherwise, the LRS II is more flexible in the caliber choices.

Good shooting ...

Nice review or overview. Hope to see some more on other rifles. Do you have one of your AI AE you talk about in this overview?

Thanks.

Morgan 711

I just realized that I may not have answered your question completely.

If you are asking can the Tactical II be converted from a .223 all the way up to a .338 LM without modification the answer is yes. Takes about 60-120 seconds. You have to change the mag, change the barrel (two screws), and change the boltface in the bolt.

Good shooting ...

Thank You ...
as you stated yes it is an Expensive RIFLE ..
but if you look at it as a Complete SYSTEM then I see the reasons for the costs and it is reasonable with all the options available and extreme barrel life ...(3x or more over std. rifle barrel ??)
I got probably $2.5k in my .308 w/factory LTR 20" and should get 3-5000rds before accuracy goes ??
How much does a re-barrel cost ?? x 3 ??
so yea I guess it would be worth it if you did alot of shooting..

I came to the Blasers from the other direction - hunting. When my father bought a sporter in 375 H&H I thought it was the dumbest thing that I had ever seen. We took it out to the range and the .375 shot 1/2" at 100. He then put in a .30-06 barrel which shot under 1/2" and then He put in a .300 WM barrel which again shot under 1/2". After I purchased one for hunting I came across a lightly used LRS that was cheap and decided to try it out ... the rest as they say is history ...

They do look goofy but I tried a buddies in 308. Standard hunter grade. It was about 1/3 MOA shooter 5 shot groups with FGGM. Also the QD mount system and barrel takedown system was the best I have ever seen. I took the gun down and the scope off 3 times firing a 3 shot group at 100 each time. The resulting 9 round group was something just over 1 MOA as I remember. Great system.

One advantage not mentioned is they are short as well. Since the really have no action, the bolt locks into the barrel the gun is about 3 inches shorter than a standard bolt. Makes them real handy in standards caliber with 22" barrels and not too long in the 25" magnums.

I also know that their barrels last a LONG time. My buddy has something like 6-7K through his 243 varmint barrel it he said it shoots as good as it did knew.

Z

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogonzalez13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice review or overview. Hope to see some more on other rifles. Do you have one of your AI AE you talk about in this overview?

Thanks. </div></div>

I will be doing a AI AE MkII review soon.

From 17HMR to 416RemMag, with one stock and just a bolt face and barrel change. Not to forget that they produce all calibers and actions in a left hand version. I have three stocks, nine barrels and an R8.

It's the only one rifle system, that allows for real versatility.

The barrel steel is so hard, that after 6500 rounds of 223Rem through my LRS barrel, on prairie dogs with only one cleaning per evening and not being a barrel friendly prairie dog shooter, less that 1mm of throat erosion can be seen.

I know of one 6.5x284 with 2200 rounds through it and it still shoots sub .3 moa, try that with any other rifle barrel.

The live expectancy of a 308Win barrel is 13-15000 rounds. On a cost per shot, Blaser's are much more economical to own than anything else out there. I have nearly 25000 rounds through mine.

And I still pronounce it like and American...and I stared Blaserpro.com.

Pulling this one out of storage...
I appreciate the unbiased opinion of the OP, I'm toying with buying one of these rifles and what I see here helps me with making that decision.
Thanks for the effort.

Bit of a necropost, but 300ATT's breakdown is spot on. I spent some time back in April with the Tac2 and was really impressed. It was a lefty model and as I was a righty, I found it incredibly fast to cycle with my support hand while remaining on target, but as mentioned, you can't baby the bolt. The stock is very adjustable but the ergonomics take a bit to get used to. I too wouldn't want to hump or jump that rifle, but it's an excellent switch barrel precision platform.

Just got a Blaser Tac 2 in 223 (sans manual). Just wandering what is the recommended torque for the two screws attaching the barrel to the stock using the hex key?

Anyone know what the recommended torque is for the two screws to change the barrel?

Would the Blaser Tac 2 in .223 with 1:10 twist barrel @ 24.7 inches be OK with the Federal 69gr match ammo or would it be too heavy?

How many guys still have a Tac2?
It's a damn shame you can't get replacement barrels for them.
Here's a few pics of my Tac2 backup duty rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_20210711_171347_279.jpg
    IMG_20210711_171347_279.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • 20221002_125319.jpg
    20221002_125319.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: Barn Side
I'm waiting for my 6 Creed barrel to arrive from Jsip.
.308 is fine for animals, not so much for PRS.
The TacII will be back in the saddle again.

SJC

Reactions: Dvldog458