• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig Sauer SSG 3000 full write up and myths clarified.

Do not break it in.

Shoot a shot, clean, shoot a shot, clean, foot five times. Clean every fifty shots after that for two hundred rounds. Done.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

There is no need to do any break in procedure. You're doing more harm than good running a cleaning rod down the barrel.

The bores come polished and lapped from the factory. There are no imperfections that need to be evened out by a "break-in" procedure.

At the very most you would do throat maintenance with something like tubb final finish to mitigate any throat erosion.

Unless you're shooting filthy ammo, don't ram metal sticks down your bore!!

I have read much about break-in, it is like Ford and Chevy, some do some dont, I am sure there will be more info forthcoming about this rifle...

I have read much about break-in, it is like Ford and Chevy, some do some dont, I am sure there will be more info forthcoming about this rifle...

I have a feeling a lot of guys aren't clueing into the fact that the German made barrels are match grade, and don't need anything done to them at all. Meaning you can buy one, sight it in, and win a competition with them. The barrels aren't made fast. It's roughly a 6 month wait time to get one.

You won't find any imperfections commonly associated with American production-line barrels; which have lead some people to believe all factory guns need a custom barrel.

No, some guns really do not. In the case of the SSG 3000, the factory is doing a better job than your local gunsmith would do.

There are quite a few shooters from Norway and Denmark on the board, and in this thread, I would really enjoy hearing about the proceedures they follow with the replacement barrels they were talking about for the SSG.

The .22 conversion is designed for the Sauer 200 STR line-up, but fits the SSG 3000 also. The prices I have seen are upwards of $1600 brand new. I was quoted $1900 from a Canadian supplier a while back. That's pretty steep considering some guys are getting a full gun for few hundred dollars more than a new factory barrel.

I really wonder how the American version is being sold for so cheap when the German version still sells for close to $3500/4000. A brand new 200 STR here in Canada retails for over $4000.

Maybe you guys aren't getting a German receiver, with German parts, and a nice laminated stock, but under $1500 is a really a steal for this gun. A couple years a go, a replacement factory SSG 3000 barrel itself was over $1500.

You can easily find it in sweden, norway, denmark, try skyttetjanst.se in sweden email [email protected] or landro.no in norway [email protected], the price is probably 30$ + shipping.

Just find a gunsmith that can make the stock barrel to a adapter if you still want the stack barrel have him redo the chamber and thread the barrel and so can screw it onto the adapter he built with the back end, that's how we have always done it in sweden, norway, denmark before the danish people started selling the adapter (my guess is that the danish guys are reusing old worn out barrel's to build the adapters, a competion shooter here wears out a barrel or two per year so we have plenty of scrap barrels)
Johan501, thanks for the links on the parts supplier. Landro.no has parts for STRs, so after contacting them, I got this message:

Hello Steve, We are sorry, but we are not allowed to export Sauer STR parts out of Norway.

Best regards

Harald Lorenzen

Magne Landrø AS
Stillverksveien 1
N-2004 Lillestrøm
Norway
Tlf. 0047 64 84 75 75
Fax 0047 64 84 75 70
Forside - Magne Landrø AS

US import laws in effect, even on small parts. More than likely, I'll probably send the stock back to Mcmillan and use the Sig stock.

Last edited:
The only thing that is not German on my 999.00 Wal Mart sale SSG 3000 is the stock.

Maybe you guys aren't getting a German receiver, with German parts, and a nice laminated stock, but under $1500 is a really a steal for this gun. A couple years a go, a replacement factory SSG 3000 barrel itself was over $1500.

About stocks, has anyone had the opportunity to use a GRS rifle stock for the SSG3000?

I got to hold a 18" model in a store, and I was super impressed. The stock is functional, but incredibly ugly. I am considering selling all my AR-15 stuff to get one.

I just looked at GRS prices. Their Sporter stocks that inlet for the SSG are 4200 Nok which is about $670. I think they are nice, but that is surprisingly expensive.

Also, does anyone know if the KMW cheek piece can be installed on the McMillan Sig stock?

Last edited:
I compiled some things from this thread and others.

USA: McMillan Sig 3000 $909
https://www.mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-rifle-stocks/tactical-stocks-sig-3000/

This looks like the only one you can order with no problem.

Norway: GRS Laminated wood stocks Estimated $670+
Action Inlets - GRS Riflestocks

The US importer for these stocks is Kelbly's, the famous custom action maker. However, I assume what they normally import would be for their own inlets, or Remington 40x/700 footprints. You would have to call them, and see what they would be able to do.

GRS Introduces New Aluminum Chassis System « Daily Bulletin

GRS also announced an aluminum chassis that they are currently testing. You can see a photo of the chassis with a ssg3000 on page 1 of this thread or the above link. No one knows when it will be available.

Slovakia: LARS Adjustable Tactical Fiberglass stock - LTS - M7x 499 Euro
LARS - Long range Aluminium Rifle Stock

A user asked questions about this stock on page 2 of this thread. The only picture they have is a computerized render. The fore end looks like a F-class stock with how wide and flat it is.

Sig Sauer SSG 3000 Folding 3-Piece Chassis/CHASSIS-PSR-SSG $3499 w/rifle included
Sig Sauer SSG 3000 Folding 3-Piece Chassis for sale!
Sig SSG3000 SOF .308 Win. Rifle RSSG-H24B-308-SOF for sale!

You can see a picture midway down the page here. Post#27
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...n-rifles/194905-sig-ssg-3000-patrol-18-a.html

Eurooptic used to sell the chassis separate as you can see from the first link. They still have a webpage for the rifle and chassis package which is the second link. The chassis system was part of the 2012 Sig Global defense catalog, and was also shown during Shot Show 2012. The full rifle package is nearing Sako TRG, and Accuracy International territory.

I want one of these rifles but nobody has them in stock. Eurooptic is 10 weeks out. If GRS offers the long range version for the ssg, that would be nice.

I want one of these rifles but nobody has them in stock. Eurooptic is 10 weeks out. If GRS offers the long range version for the ssg, that would be nice.

If you mean the laminate stocks and not the aluminium it does come in Sauer 200 str BUT the long range stock is discontinued and replaced by the hybrid stock.

I prefer to have my left hand a little further forward on the offhand rest when in prone.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410959156.380034.jpg

My pair, one in 6,5x55 imp and the other one is .22 lr. They are the scandinavian version 200 STR but hey. They both like to just hammer the targets. Love them both!

Cheers

I thought I read somewhere that when these were introduced to the US market, they were going to offer it in .308 and later have replacement barrels in .260 Rem. Anyone else know if other caliper barrels are/will be offered? Something more efficient than .308 would be great in this rifle, as would a .22LR!

You can cut off the backend of a worn ot barrel to make a adapter. I have done that on my imp barrel. So I'm running a krieger barrel in that one right now.

Cheers

This is my first write up on this site so please excuse me for possibly not being up to date on protocol.
ehetype6.jpg

This write up is for the Sig Sauer SSG 3000 with the NEW stock that is $1500 MSRP. If there are any questions after you have READ EVERYTHING, please feel free to ask.

SIG SAUER SSG 3000 23.5" barrel, .308 caliber, with Sig Sauer stock made in USA.

First, let me start by saying that I am a firearms instructor at Alpine shooting range in fort worth, Texas with 10 years in the military. While I may not know everything, please know what it is you're talking about yourself before questioning me.

This rifle had had a lot of confusion in the past due to Sig Sauer not fully updating their information on their website and manual. So here are the facts:

Stock: U.S. made stock by Sig Sauer
Adjustable check comb that is VERY sturdy
QD points for sling attachment
Rail slots at 3 and 9 o'clock for picatinny rail

Barrel:
semi-heavy contour barrel
Length: 23.5"
Taper: 1" - .75"
Twist: 1:11 right hand twist
Muzzle brake: A2 style flash hider
Thread: 5/8x24 right hand
MADE IN GERMANY
User removable barrel (not press fitted)

Action:
six lug lock up, rotating manual repeating (bolt)
MADE IN GERMANY
Detachable 5 round magazine (single stack)
Full length 1913 rail for optics mounting built in (zero moa slope)

TRIGGER:

Fully adjustable for take up, pull weight, and trigger position (can move trigger forward or aft inside trigger housing for your hand's. desired length of pull
Now understand, this is a $1500 rifle. Not $2500, not $4000, it's $1500!!!! I am slightly biased because I own one but before i bought it, I researched for nearly two months. This thing has everything you could possibly need.
We will start with the barrel and work our way from there. The barrel is a semi heavy barrel which means it is a heavy barrel that tapers into more a medium barrel towards end. An important note about the barrel is that the bolt locks up directly into barrel, so getting a custom made barrel might not be an easy feat to accomplish. It is pretty easy to shoot 15 shots in a row before heat begins to effect accuracy. The accuracy of this barrel is amazing given proper break in. I have shot more than 400 rounds before cleaning without accuracy loss.
The barrel has a flash hider that is threaded on (5/8 x 24 tpi) built into the flash hider are two "claw holes" that the mirage band attaches to. I have not been able to find a mirage band fire sale, but I was able toeasilyy make one with some elastic band from Wal-Mart and a sewing kit with some wire rod. The barrel is user removable via three hex key screws at the front if the receiver. The barrel is also cold hammer forged and the quality definitely showed in accuracy straight out if the box.
nevataze.jpg

The above picture shows the claw holes for the mirage band.
a8yjyqut.jpg

There is the super small hex key screw that is removed to remove the flash hider

Receiver/action.
The entire action is more or less a receiver unit the everything attaches to.
The barrel, stock, magazine, Bolt and trigger assembly are all attached to this receiver.

Trigger:

The trigger is fully adjustable for trigger position, let off weight, and take up.
y5ezupag.jpg

Take up is adjusted by using the supplied hex key and inserting it into the forward hex screw. Rotate it clock wise to decrease take up, out counterclockwise to increase take up.
As it is a two stage trigger, it is supposed to have some take up, but I have found that it is possible to decrease take up to zero and decrease let off weight to 1 lb, 5 oz by rotating the take up screw clock wise until the trigger releases the firing pin. The rotate the screw one quarter turn counterclockwise (please ensure rifle in not loaded). Then rotate the rear screw(behind the trigger)
qame9use.jpg
counterclockwise until it is flush with the top of the trigger guard. Do not take the screw out! I should mention that this will render the safety useless until the take up screw is rotated back in one full rotation clockwise to allow enough room for the safety to pass through.
Now onto the safety, it set as first mentioned as a two stage trigger, the safety is located on the side of the rifle (right side) above the trigger housing.
adybyva6.jpg
When safety is engaged (by pressing downward on the lever) the bolt may be removed as long as the bolt is already in the upward position. To disengage the safety, simply press up on the button inside the trigger housing and safety is now off. Pretty simple. To remove the bolt, rotate the bolt upward, the engage the safety, the pull the bolt rearward. The bolt will come straight out.
Adjustment of check comb is simple. Depress both buttons at each side of the cheek comb and move up our down as appropriate.
magusave.jpg
It is very sturdy and construction of the stock is top notch as far as rigidity and strength. I would not hesitate to kill a zombie with the stock alone. Haha. Some may find It's outward appearance to be hideous, but I never fail to have people ask me what kind of rifle it is and that it's beautiful.

DISASSEMBLY: very easy
1) remove the screw at the bottom of the pistol grip
yve7yve2.jpg

2) remove the hex bolt with the supplied hex key
3) remove the magazine
4) remove the hex bolt forward of the magazine well.
3eqahyqe.jpg

5) pull barreled action from stock.

REMOVAL OF BBARREL
1) unscrew forward hex bolt all the way and remove locating bolt (looks like a long sleeve threaded the inside with a flat tip at top)
2) unscrew the middle hex bolt
3) unscrew the rear hex bolt
4) twist either way back and forth while pulling to remove the barrel by hand. (When reinstalling barrel, there is a tool supplied that goes into the two holes on either side the action the front that must inserted to check correct barrel position. Also insert the locating bolt first to ensure proper barrel position and keep it securely in the desiredesired spot.)

** UPDATE** I have found that after stock and barrel removal, and after reinstallation, impact point changed only 1/4" from original POI!!

ASSEMBLY: IS IN REVERSE ORDER

This rifle will shoot half inch all day with good factory ammoammo easily quarter moa with well made hand loads. I personally prefer 45.6 grains of IMR 4064 with 175 grain Sierra match match with a .050 jump (max OAL is 2.930 with SMK's with my rifle but always measure yours

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk
Prause, you ever run a can on this gun.The reason I ask is I am waiting on my 30-p1 and wondering if I should get the 18''or 24'' barrel on this rifle.

I have been researching this rifle for awhile now as I was going to do a precision savage build to stay on budget. This rifle suits my budget and I think that I can make this rifle do what it needs to. I know there is not much for aftermarket parts, but this will be my first .308. I have been playing with my model 12 22-250 which is a darling and I have my 13yr old daughter shooting quarters at 100m with it. This rifle should be something she could feel comfortable with when all set up at range? Need to get her to step up as my 30-06 A-bolt is too much, thoughts? First will be to replace with a proper muzzle brake, opinions?

Received my SSG last week, set up scope etc the trigger is right there breaks cleanly, for the money it is fantastic. rifle is heavy, if your daughter does not have to carry it she should be fine. The muzzle brake is on my list next or a harvester suppressor, for her I would go with a reputable brake. she will enjoy the rifle, very accurate, and the extra weight will dampen the recoil.

I recently picked up an 18" model, and Sig does not ship those with that horrid flash hider. Just got glass on it tonight.

Can't wait to get it out to the range.

I just got off the phone from Sig Pro Shop and was informed that Sig will NOT be importing the 18" SSg3000 anymore. Something has happened in Germany and they will not send any more rifles over and they don't know when they will be getting anymore. I got one of the last 24" rifles. I had one of the 18" rifles on order for about 3 months. Just a heads up for those who want one of the rifles.

From what they were telling me all have stopped for now. He stated he did not know when they would start back. There is some sort of problem with them coming into the states.

Picked up one at Walmart also a few months ago, added a Steiner 4-16x50. Mine had the test target as well.

I have a scope mounting question. I just took delivery of my 24" SSG 3000 this week. Harris bipod added and I am going to top it with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 x 50 FFP scope. I would like to use a one piece base for the 30mm tube to add to the rigidity while trying to find a mount with at least 20 MOA adjustement to be able to handle up and over 1000 yards. I looked at the Spuhr, beautiful but beyond my budget. Then the Badger mount. I found something called an AADMount, cantilever designed for AR flat top use. I like it because of the rigidity, picatinny lugs and built in level. Any suggestions for ring height to keep this particular scope as close to the bore as possible?

I just received my 24" SSG 3000 also, and enjoyed reading this thread during the wait. I have a Vortex Viper 6-24x50 scope for it, and just ordered an American Defense one piece Recon mount for it. They make several models with 20 moa.

I'm looking forward to getting home so I can shoot it Just after it arrived I had to travel out of state.

I have a scope mounting question. I just took delivery of my 24" SSG 3000 this week. Harris bipod added and I am going to top it with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 x 50 FFP scope. I would like to use a one piece base for the 30mm tube to add to the rigidity while trying to find a mount with at least 20 MOA adjustement to be able to handle up and over 1000 yards. I looked at the Spuhr, beautiful but beyond my budget. Then the Badger mount. I found something called an AADMount, cantilever designed for AR flat top use. I like it because of the rigidity, picatinny lugs and built in level. Any suggestions for ring height to keep this particular scope as close to the bore as possible?

For my use, I did not get a 20moa mount.

Initially, I utilized a quick disconnect mount so the optic can be used elsewhere, but sold it and got Seekins 6/4 30mm (high .97") rings. NF15×50 objective sits ~ 1/4" above the barrel so caps may be a consideration. Since the optic has 110moa EL adj and currently I don't shoot 1k, I am happy.

I looked into the Aadland rings because they were slightly higher (1.07") but were unavailable at the time. Pretty sure that the cantilever mount (AR height) will be too high above the bore.

Since this gun is so accurate, I don't think that I will ever remove the optic - it also double as a carry handle.
IIRC, these rings are made for Vortex so the logos won't clash.

Hope this helps

What brand of muzzle brakes has worked for you on this rifle?
I replaced the Sig "flash hider" with one of these - like the way it looks on the rifle Seekins Precision Advanced Tactical Compensator - Black - .308/7.62

looking for a flash hider, something like the Surefire.
pre-American version, IIRC, the thread is 18x1?
correction: assumed that the RSSG-H24B-308 w/ MCM stock had metric threading.
removed the flash hider and the threads are 5/8-24

Last edited:
What ammo people are using on their SSG 3000? I recently got my Sig and only have driven XM118LR's through it. Grouping is both sides of 1MOA. Any experiencies using lighter bullet that 178gr?

Best was factory 175gr SSA or FED that I used sighting-in, a bit under 0.5 moa with 4 rounds. Seems to do well with 168 as well.

Just got my SSG3000 24" and it did not come with a test target. I so did want an 18" but as I said in a earlier post none are coming into the states. I did call Sig's home office and they did confirm that they do not know when, or if, any more SSG 3000 will be coming into the states. Glade I got the one I did.

Just got my SSG3000 24" and it did not come with a test target. I so did want an 18" but as I said in a earlier post none are coming into the states. I did call Sig's home office and they did confirm that they do not know when, or if, any more SSG 3000 will be coming into the states. Glade I got the one I did.

Did you do a barrel break in?

Hadn't had the time to take it out and shoot it. I do plan a sort of barrel break in.

picked one of these up a week back. Took it out today, 155 palmas and case full of varget and this thing shoots. Had my fair share of full custom rifles, and it shoots with anything else I have had. I cant fault it.

I was able to get one locally. Will be here in a week and a half. They did not say they were not being imported anymore?