• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig Sauer SSG 3000 full write up and myths clarified.

Do all of the US made ssg 3000s come with a German proof target?

All german match barrels are test shot at the factory and come with a proof target. With the exception of Blaser I don't think any other maker do that. Not even AI or Sako (Trg).

Last edited:
Like I said, mine didn't have one.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Mine did not bring a proof target either. Great review for a great rifle. Can u detail your break in procedure? I've only got about 15 rounds thru mine but it looks promising so far with 5 round groups running about 3/4". I'm rusty so some of that is certainly my fault. Can't wait to get some time and find a good hand load. Your 400 yard groups look fantastic!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shoot a shot, clean, shoot a shot, clean, foot five times. Clean every fifty shots after that for two hundred rounds. Done.

These are some pictures from yesterday at tacpro at 1000 yards
eme3abym.jpg
u9y2aha9.jpg
gube8epu.jpg
gynuvu7a.jpg

unegyqar.jpg
9a8a9eje.jpg

I own the SSG 3000 myself, the only thing I don't like about the new one is the 0 MOA intergral rail. But I put a Spuhr-3601 6mil/20.6 MOA rail on mine. Also a leupold mark 4 ert 6.5-20x50mm M5 TMR, and also ordered the McMillan stock expecting delivery sometime in august. Love the gun tho. Would trade it for the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sig Sauer SSG 3000 full write up and myths clarified.

I have the SSG 3000, I didn't really like the Sig made stock so I did order the McMillan stock for it. Expecting delivery in August. One other thing I don't like about it is the 0 MOA intergral rail. So I purchased the Spuhr ISMS SP-3601 to get that 20 MOA cant. I also have a Leupold MK 4 #110076 6.5-20x50 M5 FF TMR scope. The Spuhr ACI mount with ACI. Harris swivel bipod and accu-shot monopod.
5uduseny.jpg

a2ura2a8.jpg

Last edited:
How do you like that monopod? I've been wanting to buy that for a while. What size did you get and is it enough extension for both bench rest and prone out should I get two different sizes?

I will be able to pick up mine in several days. I want to get a Tipton carbon fiber cleaning rod: is 36" long enough- or do I need a 40"?

Also, I want to get a bore guide (AKA chamber guide) to improve the cleaning process- I looking at Pro-Shot Stopper. Any advice?

Prause - you said there was no aluminum bedding in the stock. Not sure you saw this Sig SSG 3000 or Remington 700 AAC-SD - AR15.COM - but C_Swimm noted he drilled into the fore end to mount a rail section, and found aluminum within the plastic.

It would be nice to take one apart further, to see what is really inside, but wondered if you'd done any further inquiry into this aspect?

I actually have the rifle apart now. The actuall bedding for the action seems to be just fiberglass... which could be considered glass bedding... the forearm DOES have aluminum all the way down, but inside the action's cradle... the seems to be no aluminum.

I retract my previous statement
uba6ygy9.jpg

I am drilling holes to be able to remove the barrel without having to remove the action. There is definitely aluminum for the bedding. Just doesn't look like it

Great write up! I'm very interested in one of these. In fact I'd probably buy it today if I could find the 18" version. No where to be be found however... I've handled the 24" version and there is a definite quality difference between it and an off the shelf Remington 700.

Great write up! I'm very interested in one of these. In fact I'd probably buy it today if I could find the 18" version. No where to be be found however... I've handled the 24" version and there is a definite quality difference between it and an off the shelf Remington 700.

The weight difference is had a pound between the 24 and 18. Also you could just order the barrel from Sig and have both variants

The weight difference is had a pound between the 24 and 18. Also you could just order the barrel from Sig and have both variants

Yeah I thought about that. I'm not sure if if the 18" version is even available yet in the US. I recall the new version of the SSG being launched at SHOT Show last year, but was there an 18" version then or was that launched this year? If it was this year, perhaps they will start showing up this summer. If anyone comes across one, shoot me a message!

For what it's worth, I have found it likes faster loads, obviously different guns like different loads, but velocities will be around 60 FPS slower with the 18 "

For what it's worth, I have found it likes faster loads, obviously different guns like different loads, but velocities will be around 60 FPS slower with the 18 "

Thanks for the info! I plan on shooting this suppressed so I'm looking to keep it as compact as possible. A 24" barrel and 9.25" suppressor is a bit too long for me. I only shoot out to a few hundred yards anyway so velocity loss doesn't matter to much.

Oh ok... then you're golden lol.

How do you like that monopod? I've been wanting to buy that for a while. What size did you get and is it enough extension for both bench rest and prone out should I get two different sizes?

It's nice this ones for more laying prone, I use a bench rest on the table. I recommend it. Works well for grouping.

how is the monopod attached? is there a rail on the butt stock?

Second question, Is there a way to attach an Atlas bipod (rail on bottom of fore end?)

how is the monopod attached? is there a rail on the butt stock?

Second question, Is there a way to attach an Atlas bipod (rail on bottom of fore end?)

The monopod is attached by the rear sling swivel and the forward one does not have a rail underneath for an atlas bipod. would need a Harris bipod or equivalent attached to a sling swivel. There are two swivels in front though so a bipod and sling are still both usable. There are also two qd points on the sides of the forearm

Palmetto State Armory had these for $1199+$15 shipping this morning which is the lowest I've seen. I payed $1238 for Mickey but I don't need a 5th one, probably need to sell the 2 consectutived serial # ones I have.

That's cheaper than I get it with my instructor discount!!

Palmetto State Armory had these for $1199+$15 shipping this morning which is the lowest I've seen. I payed $1238 for Mickey but I don't need a 5th one, probably need to sell the 2 consectutived serial # ones I have.

Man, got my hopes up... not that cheap anymore.
ryzenesu.jpg

Still a good deal though. My instructor discount is only $50 cheaper.

Has anyone tried calling and asking about the 18"

This rifle is badass.I paid fullboat for mine at the funshow over the winter,and,right away I knew what it was when I saw it..
Mine has the test target 1/2" group at 100 meters with geschoss diamond 168grain.Ive been getting 2" groups at 300yds with bipod and rear bag,off the bench,with handloads of 44 grains 4064 and 155smk palmas.It come in a big funky case thats just too heavy and hardly fit the trunk.A swiss cleaning kit,no xtra mag,also.
With the scope,its one heavy rifle [zeiss 6.5x20 conquest] harris bipod.
I will try 168 amax this weekend.
You can spend a helluva lot more for a prescision rifle like this.

Has anybody gotten an 18" yet??

Last edited:
This rifle is badass.I paid fullboat for mine at the funshow over the winter,and,right away I knew what it was when I saw it..
Mine has the test target 1/2" group at 100 meters with geschoss diamond 168grain.Ive been getting 2" groups at 300yds with bipod and rear bag,off the bench,with handloads of 44 grains 4064 and 155smk palmas.It come in a big funky case thats just too heavy and hardly fit the trunk.A swiss cleaning kit,no xtra mag,also.
With the scope,its one heavy rifle [zeiss 6.5x20 conquest] harris bipod.
I will try 168 amax this weekend.
You can spend a helluva lot more for a prescision rifle like this.

Has anybody gotten an 18" yet??

I had my dealer call his Sig rep to ask about the 18" version. The rep told him the 18" guns are in production now. None have been shipped as of yet. If I wanted to order one, I could probably get it in June. This info was accurate
as of a couple weeks ago anyway.

ssg 3000

I might be a little late on this thread. I have had one since dec 2013. got it from wal mart for 1497$. My rifle has an oal of 2.905 and I thought that was oddly long, even though the magazine will hold a long cartridge. I was glad to see the original post of the oal cartridge length on your rifle. I thought bI was doing something wrong even though I checked it at least 10 times.. Ive shot 175,190 out too 1000yds and 168 out to 600 , all with great results. the 190 cut thru the wind better and they are my preferred bullet at 800,900,and 1000yards. I shoot this rifle in ftr clas meets(two so far).I actually won the two 1000 yard strings , beating out some very impressive looking rifles that were at times used for fclass. I just ordered a sinclair 3rd generation f class bipod( i borrowed one for the match and loved it) anyway this is a fantastic rifle. Ive used primarily 4064, 44.0 for 190(pushing the envelope, but no signs of overpressure. still tinkering to find exactually what the rifle likes with different weight bullets,using 4064 only so far. I just got a hold of some varget, so I may try some of that. Truly, I think this rifle will like just about anything.( I make my oal at 2.860 and they work greaat.

I am waiting for 18 inch version to come out. Hope we can really get it in this summer.

...I've used primarily 4064, 44.0 for 190(pushing the envelope, but no signs of overpressure...( I make my oal at 2.860 and they work greaat.

Have you chrono'ed your 190 loads? Any idea what muzzle velocity you got? Was it Sierra or VLD 190?

Good shooting!

190 loads for ssg 3000

Have you chrono'ed your 190 loads? Any idea what muzzle velocity you got? Was it Sierra or VLD 190?

Good shooting!
I used sierra 190. I dont have a chrono yet{I probably will get one next month. not that expensive} I estimated the mv to be about 2550-2575. I think this was pretty close based on the the ferformance of the round.I did the ballistics calculation assuming 2575 fps . I shot at 300,600,00,900,1000 yards using the specified bullet drop and moa adjustments. The results were close to spot on, only had to move a couple of clicks either way. I like the 190 better at 800, 900 and 1k, though the 175s will reach out there easily. 190s buck the wind a little better

I tried the 178 amax at 300yd/bipod/rear bag/bench yesterday and got several 1 1/4" 3 shot groups.

I had 10 rounds loaded with nosler 190 with 4064, these were mostly 1 MOA.

The test target indicates 168 grainers,that might be where I`ll be ending up,but its worth experimenting once with different weights.

It`ll shoot better than this if I let the bbl cool,but Ive only been giving it a couple minutes between shots.

got mine (used $1K in Cabela's points - so that worked out well), a Spuhr mount from a hide member, and a Steiner 5-25x56 MSR Reticle as a "demo" from SportOptics.com (looked NIB to me, thanks SportOptics)

I'm 6'8", so even with all the spacers on the stock, it was still too short - so added a grind to fit limbsaver pad today to extend it out. Note for anyone else doing that - stock screw spacing on the SSG 3000 is not "industry standard" - had to drill the lower hole in the pad.

got two spare mags at SelwayArmory - hope I can steal some time this week and go sight it in...

Attachments

• photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 97
I put the Steiner 5-25 on mine also. I still don't have the barrel broke in but everything was running .75 MOA or smaller. I love the rifle and the stock is great too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great Write up!

I've had my SSG 3000 since November 2013 and it impresses me more and more every time I take it out to the range. I have been shooting better with it than my Blaser Tac2 since i got it. Hate to say it, but it's true. I recently shot my best ever group using the SSG 3000. it was 5 shots at 100 yards measuring .442" before that my best group was with my Blaser Tac2 5@100 yards measuring .474"

This is the .442" group. Shot with New Lapua brass, 175gr Berger OTN Tactical bullets, 45.0gr of Varget and CC bench rest primers. This was in some crazy wind conditions too.

SSG 3000 target by c.swimm, on Flickr

Here is mine. I have a Nighforce NXS 5.5-22x50 scope in TPS Steel rings and Flatline Ops level. I replaced the factory flash hider with an AAC 51t Brake for my SDN-6. I had a Harris Bipod on it but have since replaced it with an Atlas bipod and picatiny rail mounted where the forawd sling swivel studs used to be.

SIG Sauer SSG 3000 AAC SDN-6 by c.swimm, on Flickr

Here is the factory test target that came with it.

IMG_0272 by c.swimm, on Flickr

There are two screws on either side of the fore end for attaching side accessory rails. I happened to have a magpul medium length MOE rail section on hand an gave it a try. Sure enough the holes in it lined up perfectly with the screws in the fore end. Not sure I would ever use it for anything, but some might find a use for it.

SIG SSG 3000 with Magpul MOE rail. by c.swimm, on Flickr

I have found this rifle to also shoot SAKO subsonic 308 rounds more consistantly than my Blaser did. Suppressed groups open up slightly for me vs. non suppressed but not by much. Probbaly due to my can not attaching tightly enought with this mount (known issue with AAC 51t mounts) I will have to tweak it and see if I can get it to fit tighter.

I loved to read all comments on this forum....
As a European match shooter I try to find some info about heavy .308 bullets ( over 155 Grain )
Here most long range shooting ( like Fclass TR ) is done with 155 Scenars.
Is there any comment to give so i could try that?

My rifle is a .308 Grunig & Elmiger 26"barrel twist 1:12
I also can load longer OAL's

Shooting here ( the Netherlands) is only 100 and 300 meters. For longer distances we have to go to Bisley England.
Small country :)
I have shot matches with SMK's 180 GN at 300 mtrs loaded with VV N140 - 41 gn. groups ca. 1/2 MOA ( with iron sights)

But can I use 175 GN bullets up to 1000 meters matches? what will they do with wind.....

Looking forward to have some reply from the USA!

I loved to read all comments on this forum....
As a European match shooter I try to find some info about heavy .308 bullets ( over 155 Grain )
Here most long range shooting ( like Fclass TR ) is done with 155 Scenars.
Is there any comment to give so i could try that?

My rifle is a .308 Grunig & Elmiger 26"barrel twist 1:12
I also can load longer OAL's

Shooting here ( the Netherlands) is only 100 and 300 meters. For longer distances we have to go to Bisley England.
Small country :)
I have shot matches with SMK's 180 GN at 300 mtrs loaded with VV N140 - 41 gn. groups ca. 1/2 MOA ( with iron sights)

But can I use 175 GN bullets up to 1000 meters matches? what will they do with wind.....

Looking forward to have some reply from the USA!

The newer generation of 155 grain bullet are very accurate, and do pretty good on wind.

The only other bullet I'd reccomend for LR with a .308 is a Berger 185 Hybrid; that's a nice step up from a 155.

However, you need to be sure on the rules too. In Fullbore, 155 grain bullets are the limit and keep everyone on pretty much the same playing field.

F/TR is a different game though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Great write up! Thank You! I just picked one up. It did come with the Test Target and does have the QC barrel. Does anyone know where to get info on how to disassemble the bolt?

Got mine last week from PSA. $1279 to my FFL. Deinstalled action from stock, inspected and reinstalled. Torqued down screws. Groups tightening up after 40 rnds. Cleaned after each rnd first 5 and then after every 6 rnds. 3 shots of fed 168 gmm in one oblong hole is the best I have done. Sightron S-tac 2.5-17.5x56. Nikon M223 30mm 20moa mount. Shoots 175 grain otm well also. This thing is a beast. Long and heavy. Love the trigger.

I thought I read somewhere replacement barrels in .260 Rem would be offered? Any truth in this?

Are any gunsmith/barrel makers offering replacement/alternative barrels for these in the United States. That is the only major reason I haven't bought one yet.

I thought I read somewhere replacement barrels in .260 Rem would be offered? Any truth in this?
I talked to Sig USA customer service last week regarding the same question. The guy I spoke with told me all they have at this time are 308 barrels and .22 conversion kits. He was not sure if or when they would be offering anything else.

Are any gunsmith/barrel makers offering replacement/alternative barrels for these in the United States. That is the only major reason I haven't bought one yet.
It doesn't seem like it. Someone posted in this thread about an adapter that may be available from overseas. I am looking into that now.