• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Sightin' Day, Taos, NM

Rio2019

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2020
Taos, NM
Hey folks, today was just one of those amazing weather days here in Taos, NM. My wife joined me today for one of those important tasks.....sighting in a rifle. What you see here today is me and my Bergara B14 HMR, 6.5 Creedmoor, topped by a Vortex Viper PST, Gen 2 scope. I put this rifle/scope combo together with a pretty modest budget. So, we sighted-in about 20 miles north of Taos, NM and about 3/4 mile east of the Rio Grande River. This is Northern New Mexico Sage, Pinon, and Cedar country, about 7,500 feet. I can see for miles, and miles, and miles!

So, anyway, I go through all of my sighting manipulations. Shoot at 25 yd, 50 yd, and 100 yd. Consistent high/right, but I make changes at 50 yd (1/2 MOA), and move on out the 100 yd and fired a three shot group with about the same accuracy. All the while my wife is reminding me that she wants to fire the rifle. I'm feeling pretty confident that the Bergara is well sighted, so she takes my chair. Now mind you, I did pull the target to 50 yds, but after patient coaching she fires one shot..... dead center. Really proud of my girl! It was a blue bird day here, and the Rio Grande River is about a 3/4 mile behind my wife. I fly fish there often, and I had great company today!

Attachments

• Annie Oakley.jpg
    Annie Oakley.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1155.jpeg
    IMG_1155.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Baron23
That's awesome! I love that area up around Taos but haven't been out along the river where you were. I've got that exact same rifle, different scope on it, but haven't had to to get out and enjoy it yet. Wish I were back in NM right now.

Reactions: Jimgal62
That's awesome! I love that area up around Taos but haven't been out along the river where you were. I've got that exact same rifle, different scope on it, but haven't had to to get out and enjoy it yet. Wish I were back in NM right now.
Hey wyliecoyote come on out. We are blessed with an abundance of public land here, with shooting out to.....well you name it. There is amazing parkland about 60 miles north of Taos in the Villa Vidal Unit of the Kit Carson NF. I would love to shoot or hunt up there someday. Ted Turner had/has a ranch there. Just magnificent country!

Thanks Rio2019, but I'm serving a one-year sentence with the US military, deployed overseas. That's definitely some incredible country up that way. For now I'll just have to live vicariously through cool posts like yours. I heard there's a pretty good local PRS match up around Taos too. I'll have to try to make it up there when I get back.

Thanks Rio2019, but I'm serving a one-year sentence with the US military, deployed overseas. That's definitely some incredible country up that way. For now I'll just have to live vicariously through cool posts like yours. I heard there's a pretty good local PRS match up around Taos too. I'll have to try to make it up there when I get back.
Thank you for your service! Take care, be safe, and we're all thinking about you guys deployed overseas.