• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Signature Rifle

wnroscoe

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2006
NW Louisiana
Alright guys, the times come for me to build a signature rifle. The problem is the choice of components. I have a few ideas but I'd really like your input. Krieger will be my barrel of choice, Surgeon for the DBM and SS BDL bottom metal as an alternate. The main caliber of course is going to be .308 but, .260 and 6XC are up front as well. So, lets here what you have to say;

Stock

Stock Color

Remington or RSR Receiver

Metal Color

Suppressor Adapter or Muzzle Threads

Re: Signature Rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what price range is this signature rifle going to be sold?
</div></div>

Depends on Receiver choice, $3,000 ish with the 700, $3500.00 with the RSR

20 inch, contoured at the muzzle for a SF but only thread it and offer a thread protector. Leave it up to the end user on a muzzle device. I personally wouldnt want a SF break on my rifle but that is me I prefer another brand of suppressor and I would be immediately selling the SF break if it were me.

Stock would be something without an adjustable LOP, but some form of cheek riser is necessary.

As far as color goes, on the metal an OD of some sort maybe a hair lighter than OD, and on the stock a dark earth .... or a flat brown.... dont want it too light.

wnroscoe -

I <span style="font-weight: bold">HIGHLY</span> recommend that your "signature rifle" have nothing to do with "fixing" someone else's work. If you start with a Remington 700 action, you will have to true that action each and every time just to get it to the point where you can start building.

Why would you want to bet your own business signature rifle on a part you will have to definately fix first?

As a minimum, start with the Surgeon RSR. Frankly I think you should step up to their short action repeater that has the integrated picatinny rail and recoil lug. One great action with all the bells and whistles machined "perfectly" from the start.

my $.02

A3-5
Surgeon Tactical Repeater
Threaded w/ protector (SF on request)
22" 308
26" for the other two
Surgeon DM

I would like to see:

McM A5 or A3-5
Surgeon Action
18" tube
threaded SF standard and others on request
oversized knob of your design

stock color, something along the lines of the vertical swirl with gray and black
metal color black

I agree Ranger, then there's the bolt handle timing thing
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A3-5
22" 308
26" for the other two
Surgeon DM
</div></div>

It's like your reading my mind man.

Stock Color, Molded in camo or Paint?

I would use a pheonix action with your "name" and info, betting they will work with you to customize action as you need
MCM stock A5 w/ adjustable cheek weld, flush cups, & bipod stud
Threaded barrel standard with Thread protector
20" 308
22" 243 or 6XC
trigger??
coat the whole rifle one color of a cermic bake on type, parkerize, something better than duracoat

I agree with Jason on the specs especially barrel lengths although I am partial to the HTG stock.

Molded camo. Doesn't chip as easy as paint.

surgeon action
McM HTG with adj cheekpiece in Desert Camo
Fluted Barrel with thread protector
KMW upgrade on Surgeon Action
Jewell Trigger

All metal a desert tan color.

damn you guys are fast, Three people posted above me while I was typing my specs

Barrel -

If you use the really heavy Krieger MTU contour barrel (with the best twist for shooting the FGMM 168 gr. 308's) and you use a Surgeon action bedded into an excellent stock, you could give a 1/4 MOA guarentee <span style="font-weight: bold">IF</span> the buyers shoot Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr .308 ammo.

Basically, if you build a signature rifle with very exact specifications, you can give such a high standard of accuracy and stand behind it.

Word of such will spread like wildfire and I believe that you will soon have a waiting list for your rifles.

How about something thats weighs 10 pounds ready to shoot? I just finished a couple of AR-15's one 20 inch, and a 16 inch with a collapsable stock (20 inch did not fit behind the truck seat) Also picked up a 5R 223 and out to 600 yards they kick ass. Makes me wonder about all these do everything out to 1000 yard monsters.................

So far it looks like this to me.

Surgeon 591 Repeater
Surgeon DBM
KMW Knob
Rifle Basix, Tuned Remington or the like (By popular demand)
22" .308 with Krieger LV #18 1-10
26" .260, 6XC Krieger LV#18 1-8 for either one. 1-7.5 optional on XC
Threaded 5/8x24 w/cap, SF Adapter Optional
Molded in A3-5 33% OD, 33% Tan, 33% Blk
Gun Kote all Metal Flat OD Green or Flat Black (or bitone both)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barrel -

If you use the really heavy Krieger MTU contour barrel (with the best twist for shooting the FGMM 168 gr. 308's) and you use a Surgeon action bedded into an excellent stock, you could give a 1/4 MOA guarentee <span style="font-weight: bold">IF</span> the buyers shoot Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr .308 ammo.

Basically, if you build a signature rifle with very exact specifications, you can give such a high standard of accuracy and stand behind it.

Word of such will spread like wildfire and I believe that you will soon have a waiting list for your rifles.
</div></div>

Were on the same page, thanks.

I think you're close.

For me, I would want a different trigger, Jewells are great for a 1# trigger but on a 2-2.5# one for tactical shooting I think you can do just as well with a Shilen or Rifle Basix for $100 less.

But hey, that's just me....it's your signature not mine
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So far it looks like this to me.

Surgeon 591 Repeater
Surgeon DBM
KMW Knob
Jewell HVR Trigger
Gun Kote all Metal Flat OD Green or Flat Black (or bitone both) </div></div>

I would change the molded in camo colors to OD, Tan and Light Brown as the current colors are very similar to GAP camo and then coat the metal in OD or Tan. I saw a post where Randy Cain had created his own "RAD Camo" with McMillan so maybe you could have "LeoPaRd Camo"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tim, I think he was going swirly type, but I could be wrong. </div></div>

Your right.

Swirled like This

I go +1 on not going the jewell route. There is limited feedback on the Huber yet, but maybe. Perhaps a Shilen or Rifle Basix, if you can tune a Timney that is another great option. Also, I don't think you should limit your signature rifle to a single caliber, but that is also just my opinion... Color of the stock shouldn't matter as that could be up to the customer, without sacrificing the 'signature' of your build. Go black on the metal, and get 'fancy' with the stock. Good luck on the project, will be cool to see another signature rifle come out!!

DD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim8654</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So far it looks like this to me.

Surgeon 591 Repeater
Surgeon DBM
KMW Knob
Jewell HVR Trigger

I would change the molded in camo colors to OD, Tan and Light Brown as the current colors are very similar to GAP camo and then coat the metal in OD or Tan. I saw a post where Randy Cain had created his own <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #CC0000">"RAD Camo"</span></span> with McMillan so maybe you could have "LeoPaRd Camo"? </div></div>

I like the sound of that.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim8654</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So far it looks like this to me.

Surgeon 591 Repeater
Surgeon DBM
KMW Knob
Jewell HVR Trigger

I would change the molded in camo colors to OD, Tan and Light Brown as the current colors are very similar to GAP camo and then coat the metal in OD or Tan. I saw a post where Randy Cain had created his own <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #CC0000">"RAD Camo"</span></span> with McMillan so maybe you could have "LeoPaRd Camo"? </div></div>

I like the sound of that.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Where west coast meets coon ass

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A3-5
22" 308
26" for the other two
Surgeon DM
</div></div>

+1.... I can give a fuck about the color of the stock, but I'm kinda partial to the woodland camo myself...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Color of the stock shouldn't matter as that could be up to the customer, without sacrificing the 'signature' of your build. </div></div>

Only issue with that is 6 month wait for the stock, it'd be nice to have rifles in the pipeline so you could order a signature rifle that might be in stock or very close to it.

I think the days of truing a Remington action on a full custom stick are drawing to a close... Why spend all that time and money on a Remmy action, when you can get custom actions for not much more?

Wait...RAD And Roscoe are both NWLA....don't tell me you two know each other...I need to find better online friends!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Color of the stock shouldn't matter as that could be up to the customer, without sacrificing the 'signature' of your build. </div></div>

Only issue with that is 6 month wait for the stock, it'd be nice to have rifles in the pipeline so you could order a signature rifle that might be in stock or very close to it. </div></div>

Manners T4-A!!

I love that stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is limited feedback on the Huber yet, but maybe. </div></div>

I've installed one Huber, I'll remain silent
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait...RAD And Roscoe are both NWLA....don't tell me you two know each other...I need to find better online friends! </div></div>

Almost neighbors.

Jason, you might as well move on down here.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As long as it comes with a hot sauce bottle holder. </div></div>

I thought that was standard equipment on all things Louisiana

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait...RAD And Roscoe are both NWLA....don't tell me you two know each other...I need to find better online friends! </div></div>

wnroscoe, rad, matchking, casey simpson, BSP112, 7bat, Terry Cross and others are very close to each other. The first five listed live no more than 45 minutes apart.

As a side, matchking should change his screen name to scenar.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As long as it comes with a hot sauce bottle holder. </div></div>

I thought that was standard equipment on all things Louisiana </div></div>

You said you wanted it to be a "signature rifle"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait...RAD And Roscoe are both NWLA....don't tell me you two know each other...I need to find better online friends! </div></div>

wnroscoe, rad, matchking, casey simpson, 7bat, Terry Cross and others are very close to each other. The first four listed live no more than 45 minutes apart. </div></div>

Don't forget pwc001.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any signature rifle needs to have a bad ass name... the name is every bit as important as the rifle itself.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Can I name it Frank........that's a bad ass name.

Kicking a few around, I'm drawing a blank.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any signature rifle needs to have a bad ass name... the name is every bit as important as the rifle itself.
smile.gif
</div></div>

. </div></div>

>Sllluuuuuurrrrrrppppp<
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait...RAD And Roscoe are both NWLA....don't tell me you two know each other...I need to find better online friends! </div></div>

Almost neighbors.

Jason, you might as well move on down here.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Yup, he's right; we do.
I think the caliber of your signature rifle should be .260 Rem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any signature rifle needs to have a bad ass name... the name is every bit as important as the rifle itself.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Very true, it could be the (AAAAAAAAA EEEEEEEEEE) model

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">who's pwc001? </div></div>

He's another pig hunter that lives over here by me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any signature rifle needs to have a bad ass name... the name is every bit as important as the rifle itself.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Kicking a few around, I'm drawing a blank. </div></div>

Roscoe's Phalanx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any signature rifle needs to have a bad ass name... the name is every bit as important as the rifle itself.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Kicking a few around, I'm drawing a blank. </div></div>

Roscoe's Phalanx </div></div>

"The Boss Hog"

What ever you build we are definitely going to need many pics for every stage of the way.