• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Silencer for precision shooting

rcmigpilot

Private
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2012
Louisiana
What silencer is considered the best for precision shooting? It'll be used on my Tikka 6.5 and occasionally moved to my .223 bolt gun until I can swing a dedicated can for it. I know all will have some POI shift, but which ones have the least and are the most repeatable? Gun shop at the local 1,000 yard range is telling me TBAC U7s & U9s and Deadair Sandman L & Ti are the most popular with the local shooters.

I'm sure it's been covered before but I tried using the search feature and when I use precision or POI shift or point of impact shift I get thousands of results.

The general consensus is that TBAC is top dog.

My Barrett AM30 shifts .5 MOA down and left. That seems good to me but I'd be interested to know what TBAC users are seeing.

Get a TBAC ultra 7 or 9 depending on what you can find in stock. My ultra 9 gave me no POI shift at 100 yards switching from the CB brake and the can and then bare muzzle. Running a 27” HV barrel if that makes any difference.

The general consensus is that TBAC is top dog.

My Barrett AM30 shifts .5 MOA down and left. That seems good to me but I'd be interested to know what TBAC users are seeing.
Depends in the rifle. Some none some only slight. A shift in itself is fine, as long as it's predictable and repeatable.

My Thunderbeast direct thread 30P1 has minimal POI shift. However my two DeadAir Sandman suppressors with their quick attach mounts have been giving me similiar performance.

POI shift is more a function of barrel profile than the suppressor . Every suppressor is going to cause some shift , what matters is that it is consistent and repeatable.

Reactions: silentwoods
Barrel profile is a variable. But so is suppressor design, length, weight....

Just sent my 23" long #2 Benchmark barrel in to TB to get threaded, .608 diameter at muzzle. Got it back, reassembled into stock, bolted scope back on, ran a couple patches down barrel and shot it this am. 1st shot was a bit left, next 4 stacked nicely back on zero. Maybe lucky, but kind of nice. UL7.

Reactions: 22-Dasher
I have a thunderbeast and love it almost no point of impact shift

Thunderbeast works for me.

I have an Ultra 9 30CB that I run on three rifles, two .308's and a 6.5 Cr. No discernable POI shift on any of them from CB brake to suppressed. Groups tighter if anything. It's my only can, but I am very happy with it to say the least.

What silencer is considered the best for precision shooting? It'll be used on my Tikka 6.5 and occasionally moved to my .223 bolt gun until I can swing a dedicated can for it. I know all will have some POI shift, but which ones have the least and are the most repeatable? Gun shop at the local 1,000 yard range is telling me TBAC U7s & U9s and Deadair Sandman L & Ti are the most popular with the local shooters.

I'm sure it's been covered before but I tried using the search feature and when I use precision or POI shift or point of impact shift I get thousands of results.

If you are talking serious precision is it not productive to worry about "least POI shift," because with any suppressor on any very accurate rifle you are going to see some. No big deal, you just note what the scope settings are with and without the suppressor and shoot away. My heavy YHM suppressor lowers my POI by 8" at 100 yards on my sporter-weight 6.5, but who cares? It is very repeatable. I suppose it is possible for a rifle to shoot to the same POI with and without a suppressor on, but I also think most of the people saying they see no change are not shooting very accurate rifles. You can take the heaviest tapered barrel Krieger or Bartlein makes and hanging a half-pound weight on the end of the barrel, be it a suppressor, a tuner or a halibut fishing weight, will make the POI drop slightly.

Likewise, I don't think there is a whole lot of concern about "repeatability" if you mean shooting to the same POI every time the take the can off and put it back on, as they will all do that, if you are careful. For example, with my Banish suppressors when I reassemble after cleaning I always line the baffles up in the tube the exact same way.

But I do find it necessary to have a pretty clean suppressor if I want any hope of shooting it the .2's and .3's. For me that means user-serviceable, which means Banish.

Last edited:
I run a Sico Omega. I run it on a Tikka CTR 24” barrel in 6.5, a Ruger predator .308. The POI shift is about the same on both rifles using ASR brakes on both. Can’t remember exactly what the shift is but it’s around 2”.

Reactions: TACC
If you are talking serious precision is it not productive to worry about "least POI shift," because with any suppressor on any very accurate rifle you are going to see some. No big deal, you just note what the scope settings are with and without the suppressor and shoot away. My heavy YHM suppressor lowers my POI by 8" at 100 yards on my sporter-weight 6.5, but who cares? It is very repeatable. I suppose it is possible for a rifle to shoot to the same POI with and without a suppressor on, but I also think most of the people saying they see no change are not shooting very accurate rifles. You can take the heaviest tapered barrel Krieger or Bartlein makes and hanging a half-pound weight on the end of the barrel, be it a suppressor, a tuner or a halibut fishing weight, will make the POI drop slightly.

Likewise, I don't think there is a whole lot of concern about "repeatability" if you mean shooting to the same POI every time the take the can off and put it back on, as they will all do that, if you are careful. For example, with my Banish suppressors when I reassemble after cleaning I always line the baffles up in the tube the exact same way.

But I do find it necessary to have a pretty clean suppressor if I want any hope of shooting it the .2's and .3's. For me that means user-serviceable, which means Banish.

Literally no one cares and no one is persuaded by your CONSTANT Banish fanboy nonsense. No one. There really isn’t a need for you to shit up every silencer thread with the annoying Banish nonsense.

Last edited:
#7 pacnor. 22.5" 308
SRT Shadow thread mount.
Used it for 15 years minimum, still quiet, no poi shift.
This 700 is currently on it's 3rd barrel with this can.
Perfect.
Fwiw, never cleaned it, ever.

Literally no one cares and no one is persuaded by your CONSTANT Banish fanboy nonsense. No one. There really isn’t a need for you to shit up every silencer thread with the annoying Banish nonsense.

Whoa, kind of unhinged there, aren't you? Is it that you have never shot a 5-shot group in the 2's in your life?

I asked this at Mile High a few days ago and Mike recommended TBAC without reservation as the best for a precision bolt gun. It seemed that if size is not a concern that the 338 Ultra is the best, and if size is an issue the new Dominus is the best. I'm leaning toward a 338 Ultra for my new AX.

5 shot group from my AIX in 6.5 CM with a 9" 6.5 Ultra with at least 2k rounds on it without cleaning. .485 on the calipers subtract .264 and its a decent group. Too bad I pulled that one a little.

Attachments

• IMG_3119.jpg
    IMG_3119.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 79
5 shot group from my AIX in 6.5 CM with a 9" 6.5 Ultra with at least 2k rounds on it without cleaning. .485 on the calipers subtract .264 and its a decent group. Too bad I pulled that one a little.

But you can't shoot groups like that with a sealed dirty can , plus since I know you're not using hand loads either , don't you know you're doing it all wrong .

has anyone had any time behind the CGS line of cans? I have their mod 9 and hear their Hyperion is a good precision one but finding people who have time behind it seems a bit hard to find.

TBAC direct thread, minimal POI shift but my barrel is a Heavy Palma contour.

Another vote for TBAC. I finally picked up my Ultra 7 .30 after a 8 month wait, and rethreaded my .308 barrel to mount thier CB brake without any shim. I have more testing to do, but on steel yesterday at Whittington Center point of impact didn't noticably change with or without the can, including on that disc on the buffalo target at 1123 yards. I had a spotter calling POI. I'll do some precise testing on paper and report back, but very good so far.
The can worked itself slightly loose a couple times, but once it settled in it stayed tight. Probably a matter of the threads in the can and on the brake breaking in.
The rifle has an AMU contour barrel that I machined from a Bartlein blank, 22" now, minimum headspace in a M852 chamber.
Frankly, after putting rounds through the Ultra 7 I probably won't be doing much more shooting of that rifle without it. Great experience.

NOTHING compares to TBAC for a precision rifle can. Nothing. Zero POI shift, as in not even a red cunt hair of movement. Also despite being very quiet the back pressure isn’t high and doesn’t increase my velocity with the can on like some of my others do. POI and velocity for the loads not changing is very nice because sometimes it’s nice to run just the brake for increased recoil reduction but still put the can on for shooting through pipes and stuff where a brake just kills you. My Ultra 7CB didn’t even have a shift on the two Proof CF barrels I ran them on which are notorious for pretty big shifts with a can on. Of all my can purchases and their roles it’s without a doubt the single best suppressor purchase I’ve ever made.

NOTHING compares to TBAC for a precision rifle can. Nothing. Zero POI shift, as in not even a red cunt hair of movement. Also despite being very quiet the back pressure isn’t high and doesn’t increase my velocity with the can on like some of my others do. POI and velocity for the loads not changing is very nice because sometimes it’s nice to run just the brake for increased recoil reduction but still put the can on for shooting through pipes and stuff where a brake just kills you. My Ultra 7CB didn’t even have a shift on the two Proof CF barrels I ran them on which are notorious for pretty big shifts with a can on. Of all my can purchases and their roles it’s without a doubt the single best suppressor purchase I’ve ever made.

Th
Thanks for that info, redneck. I'm just finishing machining a Proof barrel for a 6.5PRC hunting rifle that I'm building. The Thunderbeast CB brake is already installed.

Consistency is more important than POI shift amount

Only about a thousand times more important.

Another thing people should ask when evaluating which suppressor to get for "precision" shooting is whether the suppressor significantly improves group size or not. Some people are happy if the suppressor does not make the groups bigger . I want a suppressor that consistently makes them much smaller. Some do that, but with most you are lucky if group size just stays the same.

Here is an example I shot last w/e with my .204 at 100 yds. The group on the left was five shots, shot without suppression. The i.d. of the circle is .6". That group was about as good as I can do with that rifle unsuppressed. Nice group, right?

Not really.

Then I put the suppressor on and put 3 into almost the same hole aiming at the circle to the right. The weight of the suppressor lowered the POI and shifted it a bit left, but who cares? What I want is consistency. I would have shot 5 shots suppressed but the range was closing for the day. Also I have posted before a target showing 4 consecutive 5-shot groups shot with that rifle (suppressed) that averaged .284", so there really isn't any question about what the rifle will do with the suppressor on.

If you want the right answer, the first thing you have to do is ask the right question. :unsure:

Last edited:
Only about a thousand times more important.

Another thing people should ask when evaluating which suppressor to get for "precision" shooting is whether the suppressor significantly improves group size or not. Some people are happy if the suppressor does not make the groups bigger . I want a suppressor that consistently makes them much smaller. Some do that, but with most you are lucky if group size just stays the same.

Here is an example I shot last w/e with my .204 at 100 yds. The group on the left was five shots, shot without suppression. The i.d. of the circle is .6". That group was about as good as I can do with that rifle unsuppressed. Nice group, right?

Not really.

Then I put the suppressor on and put 3 into almost the same hole aiming at the circle to the right. The weight of the suppressor lowered the POI and shifted it a bit left, but who cares? What I want is consistency. I would have shot 5 shots suppressed but the range was closing for the day. Also I have posted before a target showing 4 consecutive 5-shot groups shot with that rifle (suppressed) that averaged .284", so there really isn't any question about what the rifle will do with the suppressor on.

If you want the right answer, the first thing you have to do is ask the right question. :unsure:

What suppressor are you using?

Do yourself a huge favor and locate a TBAC. They have the following they do for a reason. Next up in my arsenal after five TBACS are Dead Air cans and then SilencerCo. Love them all and they all have their place. TBAC is for all precision rifles.

I am the minority here and don't have any first hand knowledge of tbac, I just know they have a great reputation.

I do however have a ton of 223 and 6.5 through my Dead Air Sandman L and have been amazed at the repeatibity on both setups. I zeroed and chronographed with the suppressor on and have had great results with it.

The suppressor shrinking your groups is all you. You flinch less because the sound is more pleasant. But a suppressor will not make your gun more accurate.

Unless its acting like a barrel tuner, but you won't be able to adjust it once you change barrels or ammo. I personally love running cans, tbac and dead air are great options.

Last edited:
Guess I’m one of the odd guys out here not on the thunderbeast train. I use a Sandman Ti and just ordered a thunder chicken.

At my class my sandman was quieter to me, but again that was closer to my ear vs where the guys using TB were, so not a direct comparison. Everyone shooting 6.5CM. I got a great deal on the sandman and have been very happy with it.

I have two TBAC Takedown .22s and the POI remains the same when switching them out on my Vudoo. One brandy new and the other with a few hundred rounds through it.

My Ultra 7 shifts 1 MIL right using the CB brake on my 6.5. Elevation doesn't change.

TBAC seems to be the go-to can for all of us. I think you need to call up your local class 3 and get one coming, It will take 10+ months