Silencer for precision shooting

rcmigpilot

Private
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Nov 3, 2012
Louisiana
What silencer is considered the best for precision shooting? It'll be used on my Tikka 6.5 and occasionally moved to my .223 bolt gun until I can swing a dedicated can for it. I know all will have some POI shift, but which ones have the least and are the most repeatable? Gun shop at the local 1,000 yard range is telling me TBAC U7s & U9s and Deadair Sandman L & Ti are the most popular with the local shooters.

I'm sure it's been covered before but I tried using the search feature and when I use precision or POI shift or point of impact shift I get thousands of results.

Jay McLean

Amateur trigger snatcher
Belligerents
Mar 1, 2017
Middle Tennessee
The general consensus is that TBAC is top dog.

My Barrett AM30 shifts .5 MOA down and left. That seems good to me but I'd be interested to know what TBAC users are seeing.

Krob95

TFG
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2019
NoCo
Get a TBAC ultra 7 or 9 depending on what you can find in stock. My ultra 9 gave me no POI shift at 100 yards switching from the CB brake and the can and then bare muzzle. Running a 27” HV barrel if that makes any difference.

TacticalDillhole

Shiner of shoes
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jun 26, 2012
N. Carolina
The general consensus is that TBAC is top dog.

My Barrett AM30 shifts .5 MOA down and left. That seems good to me but I'd be interested to know what TBAC users are seeing.
Depends in the rifle. Some none some only slight. A shift in itself is fine, as long as it's predictable and repeatable.

Reactions: MinnesotaMulisha

Jigstick

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 21, 2017
PA
My Thunderbeast direct thread 30P1 has minimal POI shift. However my two DeadAir Sandman suppressors with their quick attach mounts have been giving me similiar performance.

c ward

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Sep 23, 2005
Denver Co.
POI shift is more a function of barrel profile than the suppressor . Every suppressor is going to cause some shift , what matters is that it is consistent and repeatable.

Reactions: silentwoods

Jigstick

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 21, 2017
PA
Barrel profile is a variable. But so is suppressor design, length, weight....

Private
Belligerents
Sep 27, 2011
Just sent my 23" long #2 Benchmark barrel in to TB to get threaded, .608 diameter at muzzle. Got it back, reassembled into stock, bolted scope back on, ran a couple patches down barrel and shot it this am. 1st shot was a bit left, next 4 stacked nicely back on zero. Maybe lucky, but kind of nice. UL7.

Reactions: 22-Dasher

wtmyers

UCG Precision
Hessian
Minuteman
May 24, 2018
Conroe, TX
Thunderbeast works for me.

1911hombre

Old School
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2019
East Central Minnesota
I have an Ultra 9 30CB that I run on three rifles, two .308's and a 6.5 Cr. No discernable POI shift on any of them from CB brake to suppressed. Groups tighter if anything. It's my only can, but I am very happy with it to say the least.

EnXCess

Private
Belligerents
Mar 29, 2017
What silencer is considered the best for precision shooting? It'll be used on my Tikka 6.5 and occasionally moved to my .223 bolt gun until I can swing a dedicated can for it. I know all will have some POI shift, but which ones have the least and are the most repeatable? Gun shop at the local 1,000 yard range is telling me TBAC U7s & U9s and Deadair Sandman L & Ti are the most popular with the local shooters.

I'm sure it's been covered before but I tried using the search feature and when I use precision or POI shift or point of impact shift I get thousands of results.
If you are talking serious precision is it not productive to worry about "least POI shift," because with any suppressor on any very accurate rifle you are going to see some. No big deal, you just note what the scope settings are with and without the suppressor and shoot away. My heavy YHM suppressor lowers my POI by 8" at 100 yards on my sporter-weight 6.5, but who cares? It is very repeatable. I suppose it is possible for a rifle to shoot to the same POI with and without a suppressor on, but I also think most of the people saying they see no change are not shooting very accurate rifles. You can take the heaviest tapered barrel Krieger or Bartlein makes and hanging a half-pound weight on the end of the barrel, be it a suppressor, a tuner or a halibut fishing weight, will make the POI drop slightly.

Likewise, I don't think there is a whole lot of concern about "repeatability" if you mean shooting to the same POI every time the take the can off and put it back on, as they will all do that, if you are careful. For example, with my Banish suppressors when I reassemble after cleaning I always line the baffles up in the tube the exact same way.

But I do find it necessary to have a pretty clean suppressor if I want any hope of shooting it the .2's and .3's. For me that means user-serviceable, which means Banish.

Last edited:

Kwmtnbiker

Private
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2018
Cottonwood, Az
I run a Sico Omega. I run it on a Tikka CTR 24” barrel in 6.5, a Ruger predator .308. The POI shift is about the same on both rifles using ASR brakes on both. Can’t remember exactly what the shift is but it’s around 2”.

Reactions: TACC

JeffLebowski

Sergeant
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Mar 18, 2008
VA
If you are talking serious precision is it not productive to worry about "least POI shift," because with any suppressor on any very accurate rifle you are going to see some. No big deal, you just note what the scope settings are with and without the suppressor and shoot away. My heavy YHM suppressor lowers my POI by 8" at 100 yards on my sporter-weight 6.5, but who cares? It is very repeatable. I suppose it is possible for a rifle to shoot to the same POI with and without a suppressor on, but I also think most of the people saying they see no change are not shooting very accurate rifles. You can take the heaviest tapered barrel Krieger or Bartlein makes and hanging a half-pound weight on the end of the barrel, be it a suppressor, a tuner or a halibut fishing weight, will make the POI drop slightly.

Likewise, I don't think there is a whole lot of concern about "repeatability" if you mean shooting to the same POI every time the take the can off and put it back on, as they will all do that, if you are careful. For example, with my Banish suppressors when I reassemble after cleaning I always line the baffles up in the tube the exact same way.

But I do find it necessary to have a pretty clean suppressor if I want any hope of shooting it the .2's and .3's. For me that means user-serviceable, which means Banish.
Literally no one cares and no one is persuaded by your CONSTANT Banish fanboy nonsense. No one. There really isn’t a need for you to shit up every silencer thread with the annoying Banish nonsense.

Last edited:

silentwoods

Private
Hessian
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2020
#7 pacnor. 22.5" 308
SRT Shadow thread mount.
Used it for 15 years minimum, still quiet, no poi shift.
This 700 is currently on it's 3rd barrel with this can.
Perfect.
Fwiw, never cleaned it, ever.

EnXCess

Private
Belligerents
Mar 29, 2017
Literally no one cares and no one is persuaded by your CONSTANT Banish fanboy nonsense. No one. There really isn’t a need for you to shit up every silencer thread with the annoying Banish nonsense.
Whoa, kind of unhinged there, aren't you? Is it that you have never shot a 5-shot group in the 2's in your life?

BikePilot

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2020
Colorado
I asked this at Mile High a few days ago and Mike recommended TBAC without reservation as the best for a precision bolt gun. It seemed that if size is not a concern that the 338 Ultra is the best, and if size is an issue the new Dominus is the best. I'm leaning toward a 338 Ultra for my new AX.

c ward

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Sep 23, 2005
Denver Co.
5 shot group from my AIX in 6.5 CM with a 9" 6.5 Ultra with at least 2k rounds on it without cleaning. .485 on the calipers subtract .264 and its a decent group. Too bad I pulled that one a little.
But you can't shoot groups like that with a sealed dirty can , plus since I know you're not using hand loads either , don't you know you're doing it all wrong .

BoulderE89

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2019
has anyone had any time behind the CGS line of cans? I have their mod 9 and hear their Hyperion is a good precision one but finding people who have time behind it seems a bit hard to find.

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2019
TBAC direct thread, minimal POI shift but my barrel is a Heavy Palma contour.