• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Since you have lots of free time... Must-Have book to read!

So having gotten mine over a month ago... it finally came up to the top of the reading pile.

And it is a great read.

I will admit that I sort of breezed over most of the shooting fundamentals sections. Though for an old-timer like me who still does data books and dope cards off each rifle, the Weaponized Math section was utterly awesome. Everyone should read it. Twice. Or as many times as it takes to absorb it. Weaponized Math is one of the best things I have read about precision shooting. I didn't even start the chapter on Ballistics Computers. I like databooks and dope. But the weaponized math is fantastic.

The best part, however, was reading about LL's career as a Marine (and his background growing up shooting stuff as a kid in CT.) We started out with the same Crossman 760, BTW. The pictures of LL as an active Marine Scout Sniper and the back story about LL's trip from under-sized recruit to Sniper School to (what today is called MARSOC) through some of the early Iran CT operations was a fantastic read. I can't imagine some of the challenges that a pretty much babyfaced 7'6" Marine who is the "Toughest mother$#@er on this Island" must have faced. (Read the book to find out that story... it's worth the price of entry alone!)

"He can Stay." What an introduction to Marine Basic!

Also, his history of Snipers Hide Forum was terrific and the amount of credit he gives to folks here for helping companies like GAP and others was really a great nod to how great this community is... shooters and vendors alike. There is a symbiotic relationship here that probably exists on very few other sites where expertise feeds into product development which feeds into new shooters which feeds back into expertise. When LL gets upset with folks for beating up on vendors or griping crocodile tears over small businesses and trying to attack them... remember that this place is an online incubator for the precision shooting industry. We are helping to grow the companies that continue to make this sport great.

The fundamentals parts of the book, as I said, I mostly browsed. They are solid and for new shooters represent some basics that some of us were lucky enough to get in schools, on top of childhood shooting. But there was a great takeaway figure that resonated. It's that LL is training (in person) about 500 precision shooters a year. And has been for ages. Along with places like Rifles Only and his Alaska buddies... he is one of the most experienced trainers on the planet. So online training, podcasts, lessons he presents, advice he gives when he drops into threads... are worth listening to... Because they have been refined over decades of experience as a Marine shooter AND as a teacher. Doing either is hard. Doing both is really hard.

If there is one hole (and maybe I just missed it), it would be LL's career from the Iran Platform raids through starting SH c. 2000. But maybe it's there and I missed it, slipped into some of the fundamentals lessons in the same way he worked in 'bio info into the Weaponized Math chapter. Or maybe that's the next book? Please?

Well, hardly an academic book review... I didn't even add a footnote or cite works by John Plaster or Edwin Land. And I admit I am biased towards this place and its HMFIC.

The short version is... if you hang out here, buy the book, Goddammit! It is totally worth it.

Sirhr

Ok, so which one of you is Brian?

Brian
1.0 out of 5 stars Contains about 45 pages of shooting instruction content
Reviewed in the United States on June 22, 2020
Verified Purchase
This book is 271 pages long, but it is mostly empty white margins, large black and white photos which usually do not augment the text in any way, and several chapters of purely autobiographical information. This is not a book I would recommend to a new shooter wanting to learn the fundamentals of shooting a rifle; they most likely would be left adrift.

The chapter on wind contains by far the most actual instructional material. Go straight to the wind chapter and skip the rest.

Helpful

Comment Report abuse

The little woman got me a copy from B&N, a couple of weeks ago. Looking forward to actually reading it, just thumbed thru it so far, but, looks good. Mac(y)(y)

Last edited:
shoulder surgery Thursday and bored out of my brain. i found a local bookseller where i ordered the book from.
will it be weird to read the book while subconsciously hearing Frank's voice in my head? eeeeeew! 😂

just in case some aussies wanted to get the book locally

I couldn't wait any longer, ordered.
Not signed, no free crayons.
Depressing.

I got the kindle version. No virtual crayons included...

*c'mon man! This is the frigging 21st Century!!!*

Reactions: Zeroit
Yep, I hear his voice, too... I got both versions...

Makes it sorta differnt, somehow...

If they could get a Samuel L. Jackson narration going; I'd actually consider getting the Audio...

Last edited:
Yep, I hear his voice, too... I got both versions...

Makes it sorta differnt, somehow...

If they could get a Samuel L. Jackson narration going; I'd actually consider getting the Audio...

CA79F2B7-EAA5-49AC-A943-253AD769DFDB.jpeg

It would definitely go something like this!

Sirhr

• Haha
Reactions: Gee Kay