• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Small third degree burns

Captain Moroni

Well armed easily annoyed
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2007
Pocatello ID
www.highdeserttactical.us
I guess this is as good as place as any to ask about burns and treatment.

I had my head get temporarily get stuck in my ass and ended up with my hand getting burnt. I have two patches about the size of a nickel one on my thumb and the other on my index finger with third degree burns. The skin is white/grey, numb and leathery. After four days my skin cracked open and oozed puss. Should I snip away the dead/infected skin so I can get some kind of antiseptic on it? I know with lesser burns you should leave the blister alone but this looks like my skin is rotting in place.

Thanks

Re: Small third degree burns

This might be out of the question but uh....go see a doctor... they have experience with that stuff and it's probably something you should get checked out.

An infection sounds inevitable...

I would say if it popped on its on, snip it and clean it...never had a 3rd degree burn before but thats how i would handle it.

Care to elaborate on how you got yourself in this predicament?

Someone is gonna ask, may as well be me...

The wifey said.."Go to the doc, sounds like it may be trying to turn into gang-green"

Yes remove the dead skin and scrub clean(debride) the burns, if area appears infected go see Dr. If not infected keep clean and dry.

I took three box's of sparklers and powdered them to a fine dust, poured it on the cement and touched it off with a lighter.
The funny thing is that just before I flicked the lighter I thought "this is my gun hand maybe I should use my other hand, na I'll be fine" and POOF

My wife had a run in with sparklers a few years back. Handing one to the son she said "Look Devan they are perfectly safe, MOTHER F^CKER SON OF A B!TCH GET THAT F^CKING THING OUT OF MY SHOE!!!!" Needless to say it burn the living shit out of her foot. The doctor gave her a Silver????? ointment that really helped it heal much faster.

I have had second and third degree burns before and all I can say is ouch. To answer your question - you can snip the skin as it is dead already. Just make sure what ever you use to clip it with is sterile. Burns open up the body to all kinds of infection as the skin is normally there to protect us from the outside. Keep the area very clean. If you can keep from getting an infection you may not have to go to the doctor but the first sign you better head in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triggerhappy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My wife had a run in with sparklers a few years back. Handing one to the son she said "Look Devan they are perfectly safe, MOTHER F^CKER SON OF A B!TCH GET THAT F^CKING THING OUT OF MY SHOE!!!!" Needless to say it burn the living shit out of her foot. The doctor gave her a Silver????? ointment that really helped it heal much faster.</div></div>
That would be "silver sulfadiazine" cream... to which one particular brand name is 'Flamazine'.

Absolutely FANTASTIC burn ointment, and by far the best I've ever used. No, I'm not a doctor, don't play one on tv, and didn't sleep in Holiday Inn Express last night.

But after years of working the trades, burns are inevitable. That white burn cream is the only stuff to use. Everything else is a dismal failure in comparison.

3rd degree burns are nasty and hurt like a motherfucker. (Not the burns really, the treatment) To keep it clear of infection they/you have to scrub it. It hurts. A lot. Snip the dead skin and scrub if you like but I agree with the others and suggest seeing a professional. They may also recommend an antibiotic to stem off the infection.

Here's some pics they aren't the greatest it looks worse in person
2011-07-08_22-41-18_434.jpg

2011-07-09_11-12-46_414.jpg

2011-07-09_11-13-09_890.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triggerhappy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My wife had a run in with sparklers a few years back. Handing one to the son she said "Look Devan they are perfectly safe, MOTHER F^CKER SON OF A B!TCH GET THAT F^CKING THING OUT OF MY SHOE!!!!" Needless to say it burn the living shit out of her foot. The doctor gave her a Silver????? ointment that really helped it heal much faster.</div></div>
That would be "silver sulfadiazine" cream... to which one particular brand name is 'Flamazine'.

Absolutely FANTASTIC burn ointment, and by far the best I've ever used. No, I'm not a doctor, don't play one on tv, and didn't sleep in Holiday Inn Express last night.

But after years of working the trades, burns are inevitable. That white burn cream is the only stuff to use. Everything else is a dismal failure in comparison. </div></div>
That's the stuff, the rest of the tube stays in the medicine cabinet and gets used for about any burn we get.

There's a product called Water-Jet, that you apply to the burn immediately after it occures, and in most cases it will greatly reduce the skin and cell damage incured by the burn by cooling the burn area. It will also help you recover much faster. I carry a Water-Jet blanket in my work vehicle in addition to first aid and truama kits.

Burns to the hands, feet, head, and groin are all classified as urgent treatment /high priority burns in the EMT trade, particularly 3rd degree burns. See a doc, or you may regret it in the long run...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New pics, the skin is coming off now. I guess the nervs grew back because it hurts like a bitch.
2011-07-10_22-13-24_266.jpg

2011-07-10_22-13-37_543.jpg
</div></div>

Man Down !! MEDIC !!!!!

silver sulfadiazine cream is good stuff. After the skin is removed or deb-reed, dry wound. Generously impregnate gauze with cream for skin contact and wrap with gauze bandage. This product is an antibacterial and contains Silver. It will discolor or pigment your skin with prolonged use. I had no choice as the burns on the back of my calf were like the larger of you burns. Be prepared to wear a glove after your initial healing as the skin in that larger burn area will take a year or more to thicken back up.

BTW, you will need a script to get the cream.

Now I know it hurts , but I have to say the following.

Stupid should hurt .

Just like reloading , when you fuck with the wrong stuff , your gunna get hurt.

The composition of a sparkler is the same as the flash powder used in a M-80. We just used a binder to glue it to a stick and slow down the burn rate. You are lucky that the burn is all that happend!

This is the kind of shit that the CPSC uses to ban more and more pyro!

Sorry for the pain ,

Greg

Well, as the medical provider here I will chime in.

3rd degree burns = full thickness and denervation ie no touch sensation. The fact it hurts is good. Do not remove anything unless it's black. It will come off in due course. I would be concerned about secondary infection, a 2nd/3rd degree burn is a perfect medium for bacterial growth. I would also worry about your tetanus status. Just run down to the Urgent Care and get a script for some Keflex, tetanus booster, and silvadene cream. From the pics I would hazard a guess that once that is taken care of you can keep dressing it at home, as long as you keep an eye out for signs of infection.
Legally of course I recommend you see your doctor directly....

Where I live, burning leaves is fall ritual. I have one good friend who is all about safety(fellow 'hider) that got his goose cooked with gasoline.

Gasoline is volatile and when you smell it, don't light it up. The vapors are what get most people around here. They will make a trail of gas to the burn pile and WHOOOOOOF! they are part of the pyre.

Nashlaw, that is EXACTLY what just happened to me.
Was working on a truck and as I was climbing out from under the hood, had my wife kick it over. Backfired through the carb, spewed gas on me, and I have 2nd/3rd degree burns on 25% of my body. Up my right arm, shoulder, ear, part of my face. Freaking lucky I can even see...

See a doctor. Also look at Puricyn spray. Smells like pool water, but works like a charm to kill ANY infection. I am about 80% healed now and absolutely ZERO infection.

Silvadine is good stuff, but a prescription is necassary. I was fortunate to have a GREAT doctor and facility (doctor has been treating burns since late 60's, was a burn doc in vietnam). I went to hospital as that is where I wanted to go at the time. If I could express my level of pain, fear, and pain (yea, it hurt THAT BAD), I would. However, to my knowledge, there are no words to describe.

Ogre, I would not have thought anything like that would happen.

One reason for my caution around fire comes from my childhood.

My mother was getting me ready for school and herself for work. We had the radio on and a news report came that my uncle had been severely burned in a house fire. Later, we found out that he had been in my grandfather's basement working on his motorcycle. He had detached a fuel line and gas leaked out and went under the gas furnace. Needless to say, it was bad. My grandmother woke up to his screaming and made it to the basement double quick. My uncle had panicked(good a time as any, I guess) and managed to get himself in a corner. If not for my grandmother, it was almost assured he would have burned to death. He escaped with some 2nd and 3rd degree burns, but healed up well. He still carries a scar across his forearm as a reminder.

My grandfather, a heavy sleeper, never woke up until my grandmother went upstairs and shook him.

David

The burns looks second degree. I second the silver cream stuff. I got a bad 2nd degree burn on my hand in a house fire. Burned me through my glove. I didn't go in to the hospital opted not to. Two days later I had ooze coming out of the wound and a infection started. That cream worked fast and was back to work in a little over a week. I would recommend getting it looked at and getting that cream.

Silvadene.

Prescription and expensive, this stuff is something of a wonder drug for burns. So you're going to need to see a Doctor anyway. That would be pretty crucial in any case, and believe me; the folks in the ER don't care as much about the how, as about how to treat it.

I was struck in the face with overheated coolant when a radiator cap blew off in my face back in Spring of 2000. The entire left side of my head and neck was exposed and developed second degree burns.

The VA ER prescribed me Silvadene ointment and antibiotic (to forestall secondary infection), and over several (6 or so?) weeks it transformed my skin completely back to normal. There is literally no sign of the burns.

It is important to only apply a very thin layer, as directed.

Greg

Those arent bad burns at all and definitely are not 3rd degree. Ive burned my hands many times like that just reaching in and out of the stove. A quick brush on the stove coils will give you a quick singe like that and they dont even really hurt. It doesnt hurt to the touch, not because of nerve damage but because you basically created a harder thicker skin on top which prevents the sense of feeling. Like putting a bandaid on . 3rd degree burns are when the underlying flesh is burnt as well. Here is the result of a recent frying incident where a bowl fell and caught the handle of the pot I was frying with and threw hot oil all over me. I was cooking dinner for my girlfriend and one of her friends when it happened. (They are both Critical Care nurses) They were trying to get me to go to the hospital but I didnt. By the next day, the blisters were formed and as long as you dont pop them, keep them clean, and bandaged, etc. You have a good chance of avoiding infection depending on size. Before this was all said and done, I ended up with massive blisters from my middle knuckle to fingernail on 6-7 fingers.

IMG_20110531_190558.jpg

IMG_20110601_190857.jpg

IMG_20110602_202024.jpg

IMG_20110601_190745.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I took three box's of sparklers and powdered them to a fine dust, poured it on the cement and touched it off with a lighter.
The funny thing is that just before I flicked the lighter I thought "this is my gun hand maybe I should use my other hand, na I'll be fine" and POOF </div></div>

Dude.....was this proceeded by “hey hold my beer”..????

You keep mucking yourself up like this I am going to have to consider yur continuing employment as my Sherpa....
smile.gif

I burned the @#&* outta my hand a couple years ago and my very nice, elderly neighbor gave me some Emu Oil to put on it. I didn't want to offend to I tried her hocus-pocus remedy. OMG that stuff is amazing on burns. It healed with barely a scar. Highly recommend it.

google: emu oil burns for more info

That does not look like 3 degree more like superficial second or
deep second at most. It will lilely granulate in , reepitheialize, and heal by secondary intention. Keep it clean however U wish or let it scab over and leave it alone.
Better lucky than smart
smile.gif

I feel you pain, I once grabbed the exhaust pipe of a power genarator that had been running for a few hours, My hand well my fingers got stuck to it.

Long story short, I still have missing feeling in those fingers. I will tell you that silver sulfadiazine cream is the BEST, I think you can get it with out a prescription. Just google search it and keep in in the fridge.

But like everyone else I say GO TO THE DOCTORS, Don't mess with burns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beepy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, as the medical provider here I will chime in.

3rd degree burns = full thickness and denervation ie no touch sensation. The fact it hurts is good. Do not remove anything unless it's black. It will come off in due course. I would be concerned about secondary infection, a 2nd/3rd degree burn is a perfect medium for bacterial growth. I would also worry about your tetanus status. Just run down to the Urgent Care and get a script for some Keflex, tetanus booster, and silvadene cream. From the pics I would hazard a guess that once that is taken care of you can keep dressing it at home, as long as you keep an eye out for signs of infection.
Legally of course I recommend you see your doctor directly....</div></div>

Good recommendation up until choice of antibiotics. Keflex is fine for Staph/Strep & generic gram positive bacteria, but hands (like feet & groin) always should be treated with something that covers both gram negative and gram positive bacteria, such as Augmentin (unless allergic to PCN) or Bactrim (unless allergic to sulfa). Most blisters we do not recommend debridement unless unequivocally infected. Sterile needle through the roof to release pressure, but otherwise allow roof of the blister to aid in covering. Remember, once re-epithelialization occurs underneath that roof of the blister will pretty much fall off on its own, or need only light debridement.+1 on silvadene. </div></div>

I am not sure why you would try and alter fire works to function differently that how they are designed?

i cooked bacon in my boxers once, all i remember was a splash...needless to say...i WILL NEVER do that again!!!!!!
mad.gif
shocked.gif
cry.gif

Yeah those will hurt but are only 2nd degree. 3rd degree is charred flesh, well beyond the blistering.

I haven't the most medical experience in the world but I have done some stupid things in my life. Glad to see i'm not the only one.

n506309208_1368200_6296.jpg

- Brandon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Silvadene.

Prescription and expensive, this stuff is something of a wonder drug for burns.
</div></div>

Was thinking it was spelled "silvadine", but I'm going on a 25 year memory here.

Wonder drug is right, and damn expensive. 25 years ago I had two jars, about the size of a JB bore paste jar, and came only half full, prescribed to me....60 bucks each.

When I burned both of my hands; the under side of my right wrist and forearm, and three of four fingers and the thumb on my left hand looked literally like burnt hotdogs left on the grill too long, black, with cracked skin; the Doc said after they cleaned me up that I'd probably need skin grafts, but he went with the silvadene treatment first.

Went through two jars of the stuff and healed just fine and can barely see any scars. I'd sit there watching the tube all day with my burns just plastered with the cream, and worked my fingers back and forth, back and forth. Even when it finally started to hurt I just kept working my fingers, not willing to let them get stiff.

Bad memories, that......

Small third degree burns don't blister. I have had a few. All from an oxygen lance, cutting, and welding. Cutting large pins out were the worst. Its just a hole through the skin until the molten metal cooled enough. Luckily they are only small spots about 1/8"-1/4" big at the most for me.

Had lots of second degree sun burns when I was younger. Blisters all over my neck, back, shoulders. My nose would bleed from burning every summer. For those large area first and second degree burns I now put on my special ointment.

Crush up some advil and disolve in alchohol. Just enough to make it all liquid. Then mix in with lotion. Enough so you can apply it to the skin. Put on as much as needed. Often doesn't even peal for me.

I spent 4 years as a Medic and am Currently working on my RN. I havent had insurance since 2006 when I got out of the army. I order most of my MEDS from www.alldaychemist.com they have Silvadene for 2 bucks a tube. Antibiotics are a few bucks for a round. Im not affiliated with them in any way other than ordering from them a few times a year. It takes 2 weeks for the meds to arrive and shipping is 25 bucks no mater if you order 1 thing or 200. A usual order for me is 10 rounds of Cipro, 10 z pacs, 10 rounds of Phenergan and some other odds and ends. This is enough for me to take care of my family and a few others that are in the same boat.
Just make damn sure you know what you are ordering and what doses you need to take.

Peace
Doc

Reactions: arrowmeds

For a small burn from cooking or maybe you touched an exhuast pipe,just put some plain yellow mustard on it,dont know how well it helps with healing but it takes the pain away

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M855</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a small burn from cooking or maybe you touched an exhuast pipe,just put some plain yellow mustard on it,dont know how well it helps with healing but it takes the pain away </div></div>

Never heard of the mustard trick, thanks

Just out of H S i took a job as a guide in Colonial Williamsburg and did a lot of living history. One day i was taking molten lead out of a pot and the ladle hit the edge of the pot the lead spilled into my right shoe. I was dancing cursing praying and looking for water all at the same time. Got my shoe off and my socks, the lead passed through the sock and hardened on the outside or my right ankle. Was taken to Doctor and treated, could not ware socks or shoes for several weeks. No infection but i was one hurting puppy for some time. MM

I would agree to those are not 3rd degree burn, as there would be charing of the tisue. Those are 2nd degree burns.
If the burned skin or blisters have broken open, a bandage is needed. To further help prevent infection, apply a clean bandage whenever your bandage gets wet or soiled. If a bandage is stuck to a burn, soak it in warm water to make the bandage easier to remove. If available, use a nonstick dressing. There are many bandage products available. Be sure to read the product label for correct use.
Wrap the burn loosely to avoid putting pressure on the burned skin.
Do not tape a bandage so that it circles a hand, arm, or leg. This can cause swelling.
There are many nonprescription burn dressings available. Be sure to follow the instructions included in the package.

maggots. use maggots and a loose wrap.

seriously though go to the freakin doctor.

in the field where conventional means were not available, known none toxic plant juice works to soothe, working like a form of aloe, with a very loose bandage over it to keep out contaminants. or keep a small tube of neosporin in your first aid kit to use until you get back.

but in civilization, go to the emergency room for god's sake. they will instruct you what to do without the condiments, snake oils, and ol' wives tales.

I know this thread is old, but there is quite a bit of bad information here that should be cleared up.

In the past we would refer to burns in the ER on a scale first second third, fourth fifth (4 and 5 are just as awful as you imagine)

Burn injuries are all judged on a point scale just like a GCS (stroke assessment) APGAR (Health of a Newborn) etc. We used to judge the severity using a generalized scale that would account for severity and percent of body area affected. It was called the rule of nines, each of 11 areas represented 9% of the body and that's how you would make a determination or how critical someone was and whether they needed the burn center.
It was a bad system

Burns can be very very bad news. They are all incredibly painful, but some may be life threatening and not appear terribly serious, or could put the loss of a limb at risk, and they are all incredibly risky for developing serious infection. There are other major complications ill get to in a second

We now judge burns differently. there are 1st degre, partial thickness, full thickness and 4th or cooked. a full thickness burn means total loss of tissue and is also painless. partial thickness will hurt like a motherfucker.

While severity and coverage are still main factors, (>10%)all pediatric burn victims are conssidered serious-critical also all elderly, any burn that affects the face, hands, feet or genitals makes your critical. Also any inhalation burns and anyone who may already be immuno comprised are immediately considered critical.

Finally any burn that is circumferential, a burn that circles around to form a ring on an extremity is a serious burn and potentially ccritical. Circumferential burns as they begin to heal with tighten substantially and will cut off circulation and lead to severe ischemia and possible tissue death.

On top of all that, any burn covering more than 10 percent in children or 15 percent in adults is life threatening,

The odds of going into hypovolemic shock due to fluid loss are high, also because of your dpressed vitals many times analgesics are off the table. That means the most painful injury imagineable may require extremely limited use of painkillers. finally infection is a huge huge issue, not only from the decreased immune response and open wounds, but burned tissue will constrict blood flow and physically block iv antibiotics for reaching certain areas of the body.

Silvadine is one of the most common part of a larger treatment depending on severity. Its not a 'burn cream at all' in fact its not very good for your recovery at all but at that pont there not much else. Silver like many of the transitional earth metals, like gold brass lead and aluminum are actually naturally anti biotic. as a result this is one of the best ways we are actually able to get something into the would to kill all the shit that's starting to fester without trying an IV. Next time your in a hospital take a look at all the door plates, they are all made of brass. htis is one of a billion newer changes made to try to descrease the risk of hospital born infection.

Also the term born iht a silver spoon in his mouth was a practice actually done by the wealthy to newborns to inhibit possible lethal infections from developing in the first few days of life.

When I was younger and working Vollie EMS/Fire, I woke up to a fire in the apt next to me at school. I fought the fire and the fire won, bigtime... Burns fucking suck and need to be checked out, althoughugh I was in tons of pain if they ddint catch the overlapping areas on my arm I would of been in deep shit.

finally of course none of this should be taken or considered as medical advice, it is only my opionon.

Of course none of this should be considered medical advice or

I bet they healed fine.

Those burns look like a slightly more tame version of a burn I got about 1.5 yrs ago.

I was pouring a can of BP onto tinfoil to light it (not all of it, just 2-3 tbsp) and it turned out that the tinfoil was still hot from a previous test burn. Well, you can guess what happened next. The BP caught, burned up the stream of powder and into the can. The stream of burning powder burned half of my left hand. Then the can, containing about 1/2 lb, exploded. That did not cause a problem. The cardboard casing was a tough little bugger, and held up fine. The lid blew out, saving me from potentially broken and torn apart fingers.

I had a HUGE blister and other stuff. Ow. Wait, not ow, I couldn't feel it. Bad. Put it in a pot of cold water and drag-raced to the doctor's office. They gave me silver-dine (silver sulfadiazine cream) and said it would be fine. it looked bad. Worse than yours. Within 2.5 months, it was healed, nearly completely. My safety protocols have tightened considerably. Maybe.

Reactions: arrowmeds