• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Smokeless Powder Storage and Preservation

wIg SpLiTtEr

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2012
Texas
So here's the deal guys. I have a quite a few 1lb'ers that Im looking to consolidate/blend together. I've been debating on what the best possible container would be to preserve my powder while avoiding adverse effects in the long run. That being said, what after-market containers are you guys using to store bulk powder??? I prefer a symmetrical container for stacking/organizing purposes. I can get my hands on the grey colored cylindrical concrete molds that are light-resistant, but, the lids aren't exactly air tight. Also, can someone please provide me with a list of elements that adversely affect smokeless powder, in order of importance, with humidity probably being #1. Lastly, why do powder companies package powder in light-resistant containers?? This one gets me..

Thanks

Last edited:
I've re-used empty 4 and 8 pound jugs to mix one pounders in. I would imagine any clean, airtight, and opaque container would be suitable.

The reason smokeless powder is packaged in opaque containers is because sunlight has a degenerative effect upon the powder. I don't know the science behind it, I just know that it does.

Heat is probably the biggest factor. Sunlight is the second. I don't think nitrocellulose/DTN powders absorb much moisture. I'm still shooting some Norma 1010 power which they stopped producing in 1960. Shoots like ww231 in a 45 ACP. I also have some 4895 from the 70's that making the "Red death dust" when you open the can.
This is from a SAAMI brochure.
"Although modern smokeless powders contain stabilizers and are
basically free from deterioration under proper storage conditions"
http://www.saami.org/specifications_...ess_Powder.pdf