• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Smokey Mountain National Park

Jigstick

“What’s the matter colonel sanders….chicken?”
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2017
    Pittsburgh PA
    Going to eastern TN / NC in 10 days and have some hikes planned with the family. My PA carry permit has reciprocity in both states. And I believe open carry is also legal in those states as well. Currently there haven’t been any black bear sightings but I’m thinking of taking my bear spray and side arm. Is open carry allowed in national parks?

Going to eastern TN / NC in 10 days and have some hikes planned with the family. My PA carry permit has reciprocity in both states. And I believe open carry is also legal in those states as well. Currently there haven’t been any black bear sightings but I’m thinking of taking my bear spray and side arm. Is open carry allowed in national parks?
    Generally is is as long as youre legal otherwise. I personally think it unwise to open carry if CC is an option. Why draw attention to yourself.

The bear arent the ones to worry about.

1. people.com › crime › war-veteran-stabbed-to-death-onVeteran Killed on Appalachian Trail Was Hiking to Overcome PTSD

May 16, 2019 · An Army veteran who was murdered Saturday on the Appalachian Trail was hiking in order to overcome his wartime post-traumatic stress, according to family and fellow hikers.

Reactions: Jigstick
    It’s just easier to slap my Safariland holster onto my pack belt then try and CC a large firearm appendix tucked under a jacket and Stoneglacier pack belt. That’s why I asked. But I understand what you’re saying. I’ll see what other options I have in the safe

Have out west in a few places.
    Especially in brown bear areas.

Probably less hiking traffic during hunting seasons.
    Could call their offices and see what is common.

I've had more than a bit of luck with a few offices/states.

R

It’s just easier to slap my Safariland holster onto my pack belt then try and CC a large firearm appendix tucked under a jacket and Stoneglacier pack belt. That’s why I asked. But I understand what you’re saying. I’ll see what other options I have in the safe
    Doesn have to be large. As long as it will hit the pelvic girdle of a methhead… you are good.

Black bears In tn won’t bother you unless you start messing with their cubs.

Small revolver with first chamber loaded with snake shot would be my choice.

Just remember, if you have to shoot a shitbag, fire twice as the snake shot will just piss them off.

Sirhr

Concealed Firearms Regulations

As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park. It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before entering this park. As a starting point, please visit the federal Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms website and/or Firearm Q&A's for information. State permit regulations can be obtained on the following websites:

Tennessee
    North Carolina

Federal law also prohibits firearms in certain facilities in this park; those places are marked with signs at all public entrances. More information can also be found on the Firearms in National Parks site.

Reactions: Maggot
    In short yes. I'll just add that you aren't going to be permitted to enter any federal building with a firearm. Also I'd advise against open carry, as GSMNP is the most visited national park, and you are bound to upset someone with a peacemaker strapped to your hip on the trails. I know, i know, but use common sense. Don't be the guy that shoots a bear because you see one ahead of you on the trail. Saying you felt threatened isn't going to get you far.

99.9% of the time, any issues you have with a black bear will be your fault. Don't be the idiot who tries to get close to a cub to get pictures, and don't leave food, toiletries, etc laying around your vehicle or campsite (if you are camping) and you'll be fine.

Reactions: DeadAss
    Keep this in mind - you are going during spring break, and so are A LOT of other people. If the weather is nice, Gatlinburg will look like the Vegas strip. If you want seclusion, hike as far away from Gatlinburg, and as far away from parking areas as possible. We went for the first time two years ago. I thought the hike to Alum Cave would be okay. Parking was sparce, and I would estimate we saw somewhere between 3-400 people from start to finish. Can't imagine wildlife being a problem, unless you go way out.

Wife planned this trip thinking going to the mountains would see less spring break traffic than the beach. So much for a peaceful trip. I’ll start looking at hiking loops deeper in the park to get away from the crowds.

This carry option might work for you.

Attachments

• 716faXJ4-pL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
      716faXJ4-pL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
      143.1 KB · Views: 30
    The statistics on bear spray on bear defense uses are quite a bit better than firearms. Don't ask me to look them up and reference them because I was doing the research about 4 years ago when we were planning a trip to Alaska. I just remember the success rates of repelling a bear attack were in the mid nineties percentile, and firearms were in the 70's.

You also have less questions to answer for bear spray usage than firearms usage.

Branden

bear spray and bullets scoffs just shit your self like a normal person , one wiff and the bear will run the other way or if your wildly unlucky get turned on , and turn on some berry white and make sweet love to you lol .

Keep this in mind - you are going during spring break, and so are A LOT of other people. If the weather is nice, Gatlinburg will look like the Vegas strip. If you want seclusion, hike as far away from Gatlinburg, and as far away from parking areas as possible. We went for the first time two years ago. I thought the hike to Alum Cave would be okay. Parking was sparce, and I would estimate we saw somewhere between 3-400 people from start to finish. Can't imagine wildlife being a problem, unless you go way out.

Facts. Just took the kids to Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, and SMNP last week. Gatlinburg was slammed and the main park road from there up to the top at the TN/NC line looked like a parking lot. Very difficult to find parking by 11am at the popular trail heads. Recommend getting in as early as possible.

Wife planned this trip thinking going to the mountains would see less spring break traffic than the beach. So much for a peaceful trip. I’ll start looking at hiking loops deeper in the park to get away from the crowds.
    National parks have seen a sharp uptick in visitors the last 10 years. Then Covid hit and another uptick. Add in that GSMNP is already one of the busiest parks and spring-fall is a mad house. My wife and I love going to national parks, and I have the lifetime pass for disabled vets and I still won’t go until after fall. Winter is the best time to avoid the crowds, naturally. Most of the time, during the school year, we go to the national forests and state parks. You can still have a good time in the national parks during the busy season, just set your expectations accordingly. Expect parking for trailheads to be a pain. For popular trailheads, go early in the morning. Most families don’t get into the park till around 10am after they get their fat bratty kids woken up and fed McDonald’s.

The statistics on bear spray on bear defense uses are quite a bit better than firearms. Don't ask me to look them up and reference them because I was doing the research about 4 years ago when we were planning a trip to Alaska. I just remember the success rates of repelling a bear attack were in the mid nineties percentile, and firearms were in the 70's.

You also have less questions to answer for bear spray usage than firearms usage.

Branden
    This ^^^
    Bear spray for bears. Bullets for psychopaths.

• Haha
    Reactions: Threadcutter308
    I remember hiking some of those trails and North Rim to river and back at the Grand Canyon, in the late 60's and early 70's and they were nearly empty. Might have seen 5-6 people on the canyon hike.

Sad, but I reckon thats growth.

This carry option might work for you.
    Thats nice. I think this time of year it will be cool enough that a long shirt worn out with an OWB should work.

I remember hiking some of those trails and North Rim to river and back at the Grand Canyon, in the late 60's and early 70's and they were nearly empty. Might have seen 5-6 people on the canyon hike.

Sad, but I reckon thats growth.
    People get more concentrated in specific areas, because of different government agencies closing vehicle access to so much land in the west over the last 20 years also.

Last edited:
    Do yourself a favor and just avoid the middle of the park and 441, Gatlinburg and Cherokee altogether, unless you are interested in wading through a sea of humanity and vehicles. Plenty of options for hiking on the western or eastern side of the park, and much less crowded.

And yes, the black bear are generally more interested in avoiding you than you are them. Having said that, every couple of years they eat someone just to remind us who is at the top of the food chain.

This ^^^
    Bear spray for bears. Bullets for psychopaths.
    Works pretty well on psychopaths too, as long as they don't have a gun themselves. But if they did, the odds are about the same between bear spray and a firearm, if they have the jump on you anyway.

When I got our first bear spray cans, I took my oldest outside for us to test them and see how they worked. I'm a known dumbass, but I did take note of the wind direction when we walked out the front of the house...I just didn't notice it shifted when we walked around the side. So we got a taste of bear spray, not terrible, but enough for me to know that I never want to get a direct shot from it. That was the reason I opted to take a 45-70 levergun with us through Canada. The 45-70 was if a bear was trying to get in the camper, because ringing ears is less shitty than bear spraying everything and everyone in the camper.

Branden

Reactions: somewhereinmt
    You are more likely to need to replace your catalytic converter than to have to deal with a bear in the park. I fish it extensively and have only seen a few bears. As mentioned above, you will need a parking permit for any parking area within the GSMNP now, and things will be crowded this time of year. Depending on where you are staying, Cosby might be an easier area to hit trails. There are several trails around the Cosby campground and good parking options.

You are more likely to need to replace your catalytic converter than to have to deal with a bear in the park. I fish it extensively and have only seen a few bears. As mentioned above, you will need a parking permit for any parking area within the GSMNP now, and things will be crowded this time of year. Depending on where you are staying, Cosby might be an easier area to hit trails. There are several trails around the Cosby campground and good parking options.
    that's true. If you really want to see black bears come over to the other side of NC. Black bears all over around here if you go to Alligator River or Pacosin Lakes NWR. They love the corn fields lol.