• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Snake boots, Wear em

strick9

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2008
Mt Horrible, SC
Stepped across this sleepy guy yesterday. I am 6'4 for refference.

k2i90o.jpg

I hate freakin' snakes... That guy woulda had me screamin' like a little girl and runnin' like the devil himself...

Hate to tell ya this, but you need some TALLER boots!

I picked up one about 1/2 that size several years abo. Skinned and cleaned it. Cut it into pieces about 2" long, rolled it in a mixture of egg and milk, then in flour, salt and pepper.
Pan fried it(carefull not to overcook) and it was like chewing on an inner tube. Taste wasn't bad, but was like eating an old squirrel that had been eating rubber bands.
Is there a better way to cook them? I see them often but don't usually kill them unless they are in the garage or by the wood pile where my granddaughter walks.

Is there a better way to cook them?

Yes Ron, put it in the oven and slow roast it on low heat 200 or so for 5 hours. Just like a roast or brisket. The longer cook time will make it tender. I have had it marinated in Italian dressing and the cooked as above. Cut it just as you did, and then wrap them in bacon, add half of Jalapenos if you wish. Cook for another hour. Bacon makes everything better.

I just cut into steaks and fry them like catfish, deeelicious!

Bohem , he was broken off, only had three buttons. Last years had 16.

14uj6gk.jpg

Can't post a pic as I'm still on the road, however I was turkey hunting near Dilly, TX last week when we encountered a big brute like this one.

I took him out with my 357 mag and the guy I as hunting with cut the head off. I can say that a 38 cal snake shot did not kill this thing when shot in the head. It did stun him and the 125 JHP through the noggin ended it. (I have shot a bunch of prairie rattlers in MT & WY with a 44 snake shot and they were all DRT.)

It was 65" without his head. I don't like snakes at all. Being from an area where we don't have any poisonous snakes, this was not fun!

The guy I was hunting with is a taxidermist so mine will be a fine belt soon.

Bohem,

someone had a similar story about crows/ravens. if it hit the ground, it was a crow....if it flew off it was a raven! See, what snakes can you kill in PA?

Chopper,

my darling don't believe in snake shot anymore for that same reason. She shot a big cottonmouth with 38 snakeshot only realizing 5 minutes later that the snake was heading towards her again. She was like WTF? and empty the gun in his ass and the 158grn semi-wads did him in. I told her it the shot is to knock him out so you can put the solid in his noggin'. She looked at me and said "give me the big girl bullets, I can handle it!" She now totes one of them taurus 44mag titanium loaded with 200grn xtp's.

Cheers,
Breeze

Last edited:
Damn that is definitely a monster!

I have nothing against snakes I love the smaller constrictors but any snake that can kill me or cause serious bodily harm gives me the hebe jebes. So the anacondas or other large constrictors or any of the venomous snakes creep me out.

I expanded the photo and I do not see any trama to that critter.

Was it captured and released or how was it taken?

I put him into a short lived coma with my icy stare.

The trauma is there you can see the busted blood vessels in the mouth picture.

A hickory branch to the head works way better than snakeshot and turkey loads are to expensive to waste.

That is a big boy righ there. I don't mind snakes at all, so long as they are of the venomless variety. The only good tailshaker is the dead one!

Can't post a pic as I'm still on the road, however I was turkey hunting near Dilly, TX last week when we encountered a big brute like this one.

I took him out with my 357 mag and the guy I as hunting with cut the head off. I can say that a 38 cal snake shot did not kill this thing when shot in the head. It did stun him and the 125 JHP through the noggin ended it. (I have shot a bunch of prairie rattlers in MT & WY with a 44 snake shot and they were all DRT.)

It was 65" without his head. I don't like snakes at all. Being from an area where we don't have any poisonous snakes, this was not fun!

The guy I was hunting with is a taxidermist so mine will be a fine belt soon.
I know they get a lot more tame after getting 230gr's through the back of their scaley domes. Seems the 45 was closer than the 44 w snake shot. Although didn't get a belt out of it, Just something else for the wall.

WOW! I'd be cleaning my britches if I came across that guy in the woods...

One year while leaving Kiawah beach park I saw a big ole' fellow draped across the road. Shockingly enough there was a girl, maybe 15, standing over him. I don't know if they ran over him in the family truckster or what, but I was scare to death for that girl. Just as I rolled by I saw the snake twitch. I kept searching the P&C to see if she was bitten. Them lowcountry snakes are pretty healthy.

Chip

I don't know what going on with snakes this year. Im the doc in a small town ER in the scablands of WA state and we have had two rattler bites in the last two weeks..... none last year...

Yes Sir,

This year has been the most active I have seen with buzztails. I have shot 2 in my yard, seen 4 more out and about.

Heres a 5ft one I shot Memorial Day It was in an S one shot took out the head and part of it's midsection.

A 4ft 4 inch shot earlier this year.

Heres 2 getting twisted up, no gun at the time. My Brother in law took the picture. He is a Rural Mail Carrier, this was down the road from the house.

Nice rattler, when I lived in Missip they called that a red velvet and Low country of SC a Timber rattler. Either way nice snake, we also cooked them like catfish, with hush puppies, fries and cold beer.

IMG_0236.jpg

Here is a pic of blacktailed rattler my son and I came across bear hunting on the San Carlos Indian Reservation. Pic doesn't do it justice, it was a deep green.

The "canebrake" or "timber" rattler is probably the most docile of all venemous snakes throughout most of its range. I have come in contact with MANY over the years and have yet to have one exhibit aggressive behavior without being provoked. I have accidentally stepped on two and neither struck at me. If they were aggresive, I would spend less time in the woods in September and October, as that it when I see probably 80% of them.

While I don't judge anyone for killing them, I personally let them alone. To me, they are one of the neatest animals out there. BTW - chaps may not offer adequate protection, as I have seen a few off the ground in understory vegetation.

We have them in rattlers here, I thought they were more aggressive Eastern Diamond backs, who will coil and rattle if you disturb them, if they are not bothering me I leave them alone
I was surprised, thought the hogs would have done them in

That is a big snake and I agree that boots are not tall enough maybe snakeproof overalls would work better with snakes that big.

I tend to leave them well enough alone as well, but only because the second I hear or see one I scream like a girl and run fast and far. My hatred for snakes runs so deep that after seeing the pics in this thread, I had to check (repeatedly, think obsessive compulsive disorder) under my desk to reassure myself that I wasn't gonna get lit up by one again.

The only good snake is a dead one, and good work on ridding the world of another one of those slithering assholes

Big snake. While quail hunting in sweet water Texas me and my dad walked up on pushed up pile of mesquite that had at least 100 rattlers sunning at midday. Temp was freezing that morning and had reached 65 by noon. They obviously had a den site under their. You can bet I walked gingerly the rest of the trip. I didn't have snake leggings with me.

Fastest I ever saw my son move was in TX. He was closing a gate and a rattler sounded off under the cattle guard. Son levitated into the cab of the truck.
I hate all snakes! Dead is the only way they belong in my world.