• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Snake in the grass.. the poor man's version

chosen_karma

Karma 6
Minuteman
35415_10150206277275287_10150110609990287_13071647_7249197_n.jpg

This is a Rem 700 300 WinMag with a 24" Douglas DMT treated heavy barrel mounted on an H&S Precision stock,(dont mind the paper weight optic, its just for show). I decided to try my hand at a snakeskin pattern, first attempt. Anyone know of any tricks to keep the paint from staying tacky ? Forgive me if this is posted in the wrong spot.

Re: Snake in the grass.. the poor man's version

Very nice paint job. Sticky? did you spay it with clear? that may help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChosenKarma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know of any tricks to keep the paint from staying tacky ?</div></div>

Let it dry.

Too many coats in too short a time will take awhile to dry.

Looks good. +1 on the drying time I bet. How long did you wait on coats?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pinmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice paint job. Sticky? did you spay it with clear? that may help. </div></div>

No I havent used clear, I was trying to avoid the "shine" perhaps a dull coat ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 331V8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks good. +1 on the drying time I bet. How long did you wait on coats?</div></div>

It only has 2 coats, the base color and then the camo. it was about 2 hours apart, it is kind of muggy here though, that may have a factor in it.

That is an awesome snake skin pattern.. GOOD WORK!!!

What mix ratio, paint to catalyst to any reducer? You need enough catalyst for it to set up and harden.

If it's just a laquer paint use a heat gun to make it dry faster but don't get it too hot.

To clear up the paint questions, I have only used the Krylon Ultra Flat Camouflage(spray paint). I spent about 45 dollars for all the materials, took me about 3hrs to complete.

I would say that you did a pretty good job for the first time.

looks good to me except you might want to turn your bi-pod around

I love the look of the snake in the grass paint jobs, dose anyone have any pointers on how to do it and make it look good?

You did a great job on your rifle by the way. I want to do mine, but I'm not sure on how to do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJohnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks great! very similiar to what I'm plannng on doin to mine. What did you use for the pattern?

Mike </div></div>

Cardboard cut out, netting, and a lot of patience.Good luck !

Nice, but your bipod is backwards...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks good to me except you might want to turn your bi-pod around</div></div>

Ha ha wondered who would notice that, its actually just resting on there, that was the only way it would stay balanced, I personally am not a fan of bipods.

Note to self. If the can <span style="font-style: italic">looks</span> like matte, and is <span style="font-style: italic">marked</span> as matte, <span style="font-weight: bold">TEST IT FIRST</span>!! Crap, now my "tactical" went to "trophy".. on to phase 2.

CK, you could hit that with some real fine grit sandpaper or 0000 steel wool to take the gloss off and then respray with some real matte.

Good point about testing first...

Very nice job on the paint!
If I'm not mistaken matte paint is semigloss I think you need flat paint but I could be wrong.

looks great, might try this out on my rifle
smile.gif

Thanks again for all the suggestions, this was my first attempt and already have new ideas and a few more stocks to go before I can perfect it. Its a good thing I have plenty of snakes to choose from !